PDA

View Full Version : Name Some Silly Government Lingo Terms

NorthCarolinaLiberty
10-01-2013, 01:06 PM
The one that always gets me is "permit." As in, "I got my CCW permit today."

I once called the BMV regarding a temporary driver license. The drone on the other end said, "We don't issue a temporary license. We issue temporary permits." She was kind of nasty about it too. I now sometimes use the term "state papers." If I had used that term at the BMV, she probably would've had a stroke.

I use the word "silly," but language can be powerful by shaping attitudes.

So what are your terms that should never be used?

VBRonPaulFan
10-01-2013, 01:27 PM

I once called the BMV regarding a temporary driver license. The drone on the other end said, "We don't issue a temporary license. We issue temporary permits." She was kind of nasty about it too. I now sometimes use the term "state papers." If I had used that term at the BMV, she probably would've had a stroke.

State land. Drives me nuts.

Occam's Banana
10-01-2013, 01:42 PM

The title "justice" should never be used to describe any person sitting on the Supreme Court of the United States.

As in, for example, "Supreme Court Justice Goober D. Fudpucker" ...

ronpaulfollower999
10-01-2013, 01:44 PM
Government shut down.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
10-01-2013, 01:45 PM
State land. Drives me nuts.

Kind of sounds like "state property." Thanks for the suggestion. I write freelance articles on the side and am always looking for ideas.

There's a lot out there on doublespeak, but these terms that I'm suggesting seem to be in a different category. Words like "permit" have a more precise meaning, so they're directness is really an affront to our sensibilities.

The astounding thing is that people still use these kinds of words. If someone says "I need a building permit," then that language supports the idea that government grants things.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
10-01-2013, 01:49 PM
The title "justice" should never be used to describe any person sitting on the Supreme Court of the United States.

As in, for example, "Supreme Court Justice Goober D. Fudpucker" ...

Hmm; interesting. The idea or definition of righteousness actually being used in a job title.

Thanks.

And Fudpucker. Heh.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
10-01-2013, 01:50 PM
Government shut down.

Yeah, I always thought this one was meaningless, especially since the definition of "essential" services can probably be changed on a whim. Thanks.

dannno
10-01-2013, 02:24 PM
Internal Revenue Service

What do I win?

KEEF
10-01-2013, 02:31 PM
War on Terror
WMDs
"Don't mind me groping you in the airport because I have to do this because the hate us cause we're free"
Red State / Blue State
"You're unpatriotic if you don't agree with the police state"

...I can go on and on, but I have to go teach a class now.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
10-01-2013, 02:42 PM
Internal Revenue Service

What do I win?

Forgot about that one. That's a finalist, if not a winner.

I always addressed anything to them as the Internal Revenue Department. Yeah, I'm petty that way, but language does make a difference. Probably will get me an audit some time.

Thanks for the suggestion, too.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
10-01-2013, 02:45 PM
Red State / Blue State

Ah yes, the good ole binary color coding that covers the entire spectrum of political thought. Makes for fine entertainment on cable.

Thanks.

fisharmor
10-01-2013, 02:57 PM
"Freedom isn't free"

If it's not free, then by definition it's not freedom.
It's the first four letters of the flipping word, genius.

Acala
10-01-2013, 02:58 PM
Department of DEFENSE

fisharmor
10-01-2013, 02:59 PM
I also like "correctional facility/ corrections officer/ department of corrections"

They never corrected anything. As G. Gordon used to say on his radio show, "You make your living looking up the anuses of other men."

Smart3
10-01-2013, 02:59 PM
The United States Department of Health and Human Services

NorthCarolinaLiberty
10-01-2013, 03:01 PM
I had to look up the word "service," partly because common definitions can escape me, but also because I am lazy.

Anyway, the first two definitions in my print dictionary are:

1. the occupation of a servant

2. Help; Benefit

(don't fall out of your chair laughing)

The 8th definition reads:

8. a branch of public employment; also : the persons in it (civil ~)

This is guess a very wild hunch, but I might guess that definitions one and two came long before definition eight. It would be interesting to see the history of how these the word "service" started being used in government.

There is one where they probably did not extract much mileage. The Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) was changed to Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Bureau could have a connotation of importance, but also sounds bureaucratic. Just waiting for them to somehow add the word "privilege."

rev1689
10-01-2013, 03:06 PM
Department of DEFENSE

That's a decent one. I prefer the current title given my foreign policy views, but we should probably go back to having a Department of War or even a Department of Globalist Entanglements and Military Occupation if we're going to keep heading down the path we're on...

NorthCarolinaLiberty
10-01-2013, 03:07 PM
Ah, more good ones. Haven't really "defended" or "corrected" anything. Another department that thinks it's a "service."

Have to cut some grass right now, so just commenting on the whole.

Fisharmor, the "freedom" one is outstanding. I read your comment about the preacher playing homeless in the mega-church. I likes the way you think.

Thanks, all.

georgiaboy
10-01-2013, 03:07 PM
Social Security

NorthCarolinaLiberty
10-01-2013, 03:09 PM
That's a decent one. I prefer the current title given my foreign policy views, but we should probably go back to having a Department of War or even a Department of Globalist Entanglements and Military Occupation if we're going to keep heading down the path we're on...

Yeah, Department of War is much more accurate.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
10-01-2013, 03:11 PM
Social Security

Definitely nothing "social" or "secure" about it.

openfire
10-01-2013, 03:18 PM
The Patriot Act

Lucille
10-01-2013, 03:32 PM
Public servant.

I recently got a letter from "The Honorable" Ann Kirkpatrick. What a bunch of conceited boobs her and her "esteemed colleagues" are.

Barrex
10-01-2013, 03:37 PM
"help"

Remember how many times government "helped" you

Antischism
10-01-2013, 03:44 PM
"In God We Trust"

Dr.3D
10-01-2013, 03:51 PM
"Defense spending"

All I see is offense spending.

kpitcher
10-01-2013, 04:19 PM
Federal Reserve

Reserve :
verb
refrain from using or disposing of (something); retain for future use.
synonyms: put to one side, put aside, set aside, keep, keep back, save, hold, put on hold, keep in reserve, earmark More
retain or hold (an entitlement to something), esp. by formal or legal stipulation.
use or engage in something only in or at (a particular circumstance or time).
noun
a supply of a commodity not needed for immediate use but available if required

Quantitative easing is them not refraining at all.

Also Didn't Carlin have a skit on this?

youngbuck
10-01-2013, 04:32 PM
Cops calling us "civilians"

anaconda
10-01-2013, 04:34 PM
Enhanced Interrogation. Bipartisan. Collateral Damage.

Cabal
10-01-2013, 04:55 PM
Voting.

DamianTV
10-01-2013, 05:06 PM

Know the difference between Fiscal Policy and Monetary Policy.

Fiscal Policy is DESTRUCTION of Fiat Currency where Monetary Policy is the CREATION (borrowing from the Federal Reserve Bank) of Fiat Currency. Not quite relevant to CCW Permit, but by misapplicaton of Terms as mentioned.

Tod
10-01-2013, 05:33 PM
Internal Revenue Service

What do I win?

A lot of people assume that Service means they are serving us. In reality, Service means to f**k us over, as in "the bull serviced the heifer".

Dary
10-01-2013, 06:15 PM
Boots on the ground.
Health inspector.
Intelligence.