PDA

View Full Version : The Red Cross want the laws of war incorporated in video games

aGameOfThrones
09-30-2013, 08:46 PM
The Red Cross argues that modern video games should include the rules of war due to their increasing likeness to reality.

The rules of war, or more commonly called the laws of war, is a legal term that refers to public international law highlighting the ethical issues surrounding armed conflict.

According to the report, games such as*Medal of Honor*and*Call of Duty*should make clear to the player that war criminals should not be rewarded with praise and victory even within a virtual war.

“Video games that are representing battlefields…are very close to reality and actually its very difficult to make the difference between real footage and the footage you can get from video games so we are arguing that we have to get even closer to reality and we also have to include the rules of…conflict,” Francois Senechaud of the International Committee of Red Cross told the*BBC.

“In real conflicts like Syria, targetting civilians is a warcrime,” said the BBC. “Those who do it may end up in the international criminal court. In the huge video game market, players can shoot with impunity. In some of the most popular games, attacks on civilians, even torture during interrogation are allowed.”

Bohemia Interactive CEO Marek Spanel cites an example of the inclusion of the rules of war in video games. In ARMA, shooting allies will cause them to be aggresive towards you. You are also not allowed to wear the enemy uniform because it is forbidden under the Geneva Convention.

http://pcgmedia.com/red-cross-want-laws-war-incorporated-video-games/

09-30-2013, 08:49 PM
The video game makers should add red cross workers you can kill in response. It's a game...

2young2vote
09-30-2013, 08:51 PM
Anyone else see the irony in this story regarding targeting civilians and torture?

GregSarnowski
09-30-2013, 08:51 PM
Maybe the Red Cross should worry about actual real life "video gamers", i.e. drone operators, who routinely violate international norms by for example doing "double taps" to murder first responders.

Of course that would mean going after an actual powerful entity rather than just grandstanding.

Dr.3D
09-30-2013, 09:00 PM
Seems the Red Cross doesn't want the games to reflect reality.

dannno
09-30-2013, 09:12 PM
Anyone else see the irony in this story regarding targeting civilians and torture?

I have no idea what you are talking about. Are you talking about terrorists who target civilians and torture people :confused:

Scrapmo
09-30-2013, 09:15 PM
I obey all traffic laws when playing Grand Theft Auto.

AngryCanadian
09-30-2013, 09:45 PM
I obey all traffic laws when playing Grand Theft Auto.

At least i fled the police with the 5 most wanted level playing GTA 4.

aGameOfThrones
09-30-2013, 09:56 PM
At least i fled the police with the 5 most wanted level playing GTA 4.

how many people have gone "christopher dorner" in GTA? I'm not gonna answer that, but it's doable.

FindLiberty
10-01-2013, 07:30 AM
Oh my, 5 "wanted" stars in GTO... Grab that chopper ASAP: https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZPQqr7tGMdDGWP839DBBlHm8N67Efv U94FfQcKqcJStxd75m8xw

Warrior_of_Freedom
10-01-2013, 07:35 AM
lol rules of war, the only rule should be no war, but of course they don't give us that option now do they?

Smart3
10-01-2013, 08:02 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UadzYIwors

fr33
10-01-2013, 08:05 AM
Gamers unite in not donating to the Red Cross.

asurfaholic
10-01-2013, 09:05 AM
This story is lolsy in a really lolsy way.

Games are games