PDA

View Full Version : NRA response to my complaint

free.alive
11-28-2007, 04:53 PM
I wrote a firm but cordial email to the NRA chastising them for excluding Dr. Paul in their recent write-up. They responded quickly and this is what they had to say:

"Thank you for contacting the NRA-ILA. Regarding your comments, Congressman Ron Paul was invited to the National Rifle Association's Celebration of American Values. The NRA did not receive a response from him. As a result, there is no mention of your candidate in the article. If Congressman Paul had accepted the invitation, or contacted the NRA prior to the event, every effort would have been made to accommodate his appearance. In fact, NRA did work with a number of candidates who did not RSVP and we facilitated their appearance in person or via videotaped message. The same courtesy would have been given to the Ron Paul campaign had they contacted us. If and when the NRA has another candidate forum, we would hope that Congressman Paul would participate - either in person, or via videotaped message.

Best Regards,

Ryan Irsik

NRA-ILA"

Patrick Henry
11-28-2007, 04:54 PM
I wrote a firm but cordial email to the NRA chastising them for excluding Dr. Paul in their recent write-up. They responded quickly and this is what they had to say:

"Thank you for contacting the NRA-ILA. Regarding your comments, Congressman Ron Paul was invited to the National Rifle Association's Celebration of American Values. The NRA did not receive a response from him. As a result, there is no mention of your candidate in the article. If Congressman Paul had accepted the invitation, or contacted the NRA prior to the event, every effort would have been made to accommodate his appearance. In fact, NRA did work with a number of candidates who did not RSVP and we facilitated their appearance in person or via videotaped message. The same courtesy would have been given to the Ron Paul campaign had they contacted us. If and when the NRA has another candidate forum, we would hope that Congressman Paul would participate - either in person, or via videotaped message.

Best Regards,

Ryan Irsik

NRA-ILA"

hmmm..

kylejack
11-28-2007, 04:54 PM
Way to go, campaign. Another missed opportunity.

Mr. White
11-28-2007, 04:57 PM
Sounds fine to me. He's got the GOA, maybe he's given up on the NRA

tmg19103
11-28-2007, 04:59 PM
Got the same response. As much as I can't stand the NRA these days, RP should have been there. Yet another example the campaign dropping the ball. Thank God they have us!

torchbearer
11-28-2007, 05:01 PM
Paul knows the NRA better than most, they have lobbyist in congress, and they don't throw any bones Dr. Paul's way....

V4Vendetta
11-28-2007, 05:02 PM
I got the EXACT same response.... Beat me to posting it

TheNewYorker
11-28-2007, 05:03 PM

Yep.

Oddball
11-28-2007, 05:04 PM

The NRA isn't but a fart in the wind compared to GOA. They'e becomre waaaay too cozy with the inside-the-beltway crowd.

davidhperry
11-28-2007, 05:04 PM

No whining please.

FWIW, I got the same exact reply as well.

Danny Molina
11-28-2007, 05:05 PM
Yep.

+3

I sometimes think they could use the help of some professional campaign people. Just like the ones the top dogs are using.

Adamsa
11-28-2007, 05:05 PM

Sums it up pretty much.

Although I think we ourselves make the campaign suckier by constantly bogging them down with our own communications to them.

James R
11-28-2007, 05:07 PM
No whining please.

For what the campaign did they deserve to be whined about. Horrible job on their part. Horrible.

Cowlesy
11-28-2007, 05:08 PM
I know there are a lot of GOA people who don't like the NRA (NRA definitely has an agenda beyond just the 2nd Amendment), but it's pretty bad for the campaign to ignore them. They have a large voting bloc of people like my dad who vote in EVERY election, and he always reads his issue of American Rifleman that has the special ILA issue ranking all the people running for office.

The less chances the campaign can give the NRA to chastize or ignore Ron, the better. Votes are votes, and there are a lot of people who do listen to the NRA whether we like it or not.

Looks like PCC wiffed on this one.

margomaps
11-28-2007, 05:09 PM
Let this be a lesson to those in our camp to immediately freak out and send hostile e-mails before getting all the facts. To wit:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=42304

Does our side really consist of so many rash, childish brats who act foolishly before thinking? It would appear so. :(

kylejack
11-28-2007, 05:09 PM
No whining please.

I'm not even good-humored about it anymore, just mad. We give them first-rate money and they're running a third-rate campaign. Grassroots will get Ron Paul elected in spite of his campaign, not because of it.

margomaps
11-28-2007, 05:12 PM
I'm not even good-humored about it anymore, just mad. We give them first-rate money and they're running a third-rate campaign. Grassroots will get Ron Paul elected in spite of his campaign, not because of it.

I'm starting to feel this way as well. I'm not angry with the campaign -- I think they're just in over their heads. They need more staff, better organization...something!

IHaveaDream
11-28-2007, 05:12 PM
One reason Glenn Beck gives RP so much grief is because he also got stood up by the campaign. Tucker Carlson "implied" in his recent article that RP doesn't sufficiently interact with his campaign staff. I believe him. I honestly don't think RP knows what the staff is doing half the time. He probably doesn't even know about some of these opportunities until it's too late to respond to them. They need to tighten up. :mad:

john_anderson_ii
11-28-2007, 05:14 PM
I'm starting to feel this way as well. I'm not angry with the campaign -- I think they're just in over their heads. They need more staff, better organization...something!

Experience is what they need. I'm not about to say I know how to run a campaign better than Ron, but I do know that I would like to see my contributions go toward some old salt veteran campaign directors.

Mortikhi
11-28-2007, 05:14 PM
If true, the campaign is comprised of dumbasses.

walt
11-28-2007, 05:15 PM

it's a trend that is catching on - campaign incompetence.

kylejack
11-28-2007, 05:15 PM
I don't question it at all. We know for a fact that they were over a week behind on e-mail at times. One TV show claims their producer was hung up on, and frankly, I'm inclined to believe it.

Mortikhi
11-28-2007, 05:17 PM
I don't question it at all. We know for a fact that they were over a week behind on e-mail at times. One TV show claims their producer was hung up on, and frankly, I'm inclined to believe it.Then its time to get new blood or fresh blood in there. I don't want to lose an election because some imbecile has time management issues.

Dave Wood
11-28-2007, 05:17 PM

Kyle, you have been here as long as I have and we have seen this many times.

Some were unintentional in the begining due to lack of staff and such but we havnt seen any of these familiar excuses recently turn in to any truthful outcome.

I am on edge like you but sometimes this stuff seems to be intentional on both sides.

The campaign can be easily contacted now so I doubt that they didnt get the message. I am right there with you man but sometimes youve got to wonder whether its us or the other party NRA in this case.

seapilot
11-28-2007, 05:19 PM
Is there a campaign staff that monitors this forum? It might be a good idea, like a moderator that can be a spokesman to the campaign to get answers to grassroots. Does this already exist?

kylejack
11-28-2007, 05:19 PM
Kyle, you have been here as long as I have and we have seen this many times.

Some were unintentional in the begining due to lack of staff and such but we havnt seen any of these familiar excuses recently turn in to any truthful outcome.

I am on edge like you but sometimes this stuff seems to be intentional on both sides.

The campaign can be easily contacted now so I doubt that they didnt get the message. I am right there with you man but sometimes youve got to wonder whether its us or the other party NRA in this case.

This NRA-ILA thing was back in September, I believe.

kylejack
11-28-2007, 05:20 PM
Is there a campaign staff that monitors this forum? It might be a good idea, like a moderator that can be a spokesman to the campaign to get answers to grassroots. Does this already exist?

Yes, Don is our liasion with the campaign.

JMO
11-28-2007, 05:20 PM
Let this be a lesson to those in our camp to immediately freak out and send hostile e-mails before getting all the facts. To wit:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=42304

Does our side really consist of so many rash, childish brats who act foolishly before thinking? It would appear so. :(

The same can be said for opposite. Maybe people should ask the Ron Paul campaign why they chose to not chase the NRA endorsement before throwing them under the bus.

kylejack
11-28-2007, 05:21 PM
The same can be said for opposite. Maybe people should ask the Ron Paul campaign why they chose to not chase the NRA endorsement before throwing them under the bus.
Even if they didn't wish to pursue it, it would have been better to contact the NRA and tell them they had other plans for that day.

noztnac
11-28-2007, 05:22 PM
I don't believe that.

If that is true someone in the Ron Paul campaign should be fired.

kylejack
11-28-2007, 05:23 PM
I don't believe that.

If that is true someone in the Ron Paul campaign should be fired.

We know for a fact that they were behind on e-mails by the thousands. If the invitation was sent by e-mail, I'm quite sure they didn't see it until long after it was sent.

Midnight77
11-28-2007, 05:24 PM
No whining please.

We have a right to know if the Campaign missed this, though. Not whining, but we've had a lot of talk about the Campaign dropping the ball on this campaign. If that is the case, they need to be held accountable.

margomaps
11-28-2007, 05:28 PM

I agree with you. Note that I'm not one of those calling for the campaign to be attacked due to this. I'm just worried that they're in over their heads, and apparently missing huge opportunities.

Elwar
11-28-2007, 05:39 PM
Why would Ron Paul want to be involved in a lobby for hunters?

bbachtung
11-28-2007, 05:39 PM
The campaign could at least have sent a video (I believe that that's what Mitt did). Friggin' Bill Richardson showed up to address the NRA; RP should have been there regardless of what sell-outs the NRA leadership is -- the rank-and-file members don't know how corrupt and power-hungry the leadership is.

It was a big SNAFU, but it was a couple of months ago, and we shouldn't dwell on missed opportunities, we should learn from them.

Next time something like this comes up, Aravoth or someone with mad video skillz should put together a video and offer to mail it in as a back-up in case the campaign drops the ball.

Cowlesy
11-28-2007, 05:41 PM
I feel like the campaign has gotten the message from a lot of us who've reached out to officials. My reason I feel like they've received the message is the opening line from a recent email from the PCC, "Our goal - our one and only goal - is to elect Ron Paul president of the United States."

I've openly questioned (more to try and re-focus them) their commitment to WINNING, and not just EDUCATING. I believe others have as well as evidenced by their statement above.

Look, we can complain all we want --- I love to complain, but it isn't going to help us, and it appears it isn't going to help reorganize the PCC. So if we can't adjust them to a Top Tier mindset, we need to stop banging our fists and compensate for what we see as a soft-spot in the campaign. This board has proven to have an IMMENSE amount of talent EASILY organized and very NIMBLE in its ability to get the message out when it is needed. People have a right to be angry due to being campaign donors --- I've donated the maximum and try and fund pet-projects whenever possible --- and lots have donated extremely huge proportionately large amounts to this campaign. No one wants their treasure to go to waste.

Let's keep doing all we can, using Meetups as a great local focus point and this board for national projects. Honestly it is the best we can do in my view. If we lose it, it won't be because we didn't do all we could and voiced all our concerns.

Ron LOL
11-28-2007, 05:50 PM
And the official campaign drops the ball again.

iskimtsnow
11-28-2007, 05:52 PM
If this is true this is a big concern. The NRA is a staple of the rebublican party. And it's not like paul has a differnt view on the 2nd amendment. Even if they didn't "get the email" the NRA is huge, it's not like they missed what was going on at the west overshoe gun club.

Avalon
11-28-2007, 05:52 PM
First of all, a lot of you guys are acting like this happened this week. The event this article is about was on the 21st of September. Being the end of the quarter it was an extremely busy time for the campaign and it was before our 1.2 million fundraising blitz that last week so they were still on a relatively shoestring budget.

In any case, many here got in the NRA's face this morning without knowing any real information and without asking for their side of the story. And here you guys are doing the same thing regarding the campaign.

We really don't know who is at fault here but I'm leaning towards the NRA. Since they said the campaign didn't respond, I'm assuming they sent the invitation via an email or letter. Volunteers deal with both (since there are a lot of each). Any organization that wanted a reply would have followed up and surely if they had done so they would have mentioned it in their email.

transistor
11-28-2007, 05:56 PM
man... what is up with his staff? this has happened time and time again.

get it together!

ctb619
11-28-2007, 05:56 PM
And it's not like paul has a differnt view on the 2nd amendment.

That's not entirely accurate. But your point is still valid.

quickmike
11-28-2007, 06:07 PM
Screw the NRA. I would have a little less respect for Ron if he jumped in with the NRA.

Those bastards are doing the exact opposite of what they supposedly stand for by "meeting in the middle" with people who want to mess with our 2nd amendment rights.

torchbearer
11-28-2007, 06:12 PM
My view on the second amendment can by summed up in this statement:
The only permit you need to own any gun is the 2nd amendment.

quickmike
11-28-2007, 06:19 PM
My view on the second amendment can by summed up in this statement:
The only permit you need to own any gun is the 2nd amendment.

Yeah, its kinda funny how they take a "right" and put all kinds of conditions on it and effectively turn it into a "priveledge" isnt it?

iskimtsnow
11-28-2007, 06:20 PM
Regardless of what you think about the NRA as an organization the members vote and they vote primarily on gun issues. I don't think there is any argument that RP is the best 2nd amentment canidate by a long shot. Not taking the message to this custom made base of support is huge.

nbhadja
11-28-2007, 06:38 PM

Agreed! The campaign is so dam stupid. WTH do they do all day!?!?

Lord Xar
11-28-2007, 06:42 PM
Let me tell you something, the campaign seems to be always floundering. Again, the SAME OL' SAME OL' -- "We received NO RESPONSE after numerous attempts at contact..". I mean, I have heard this many times from seperate organganizations.

Ron Paul is RUNNING A CAMPAIGN. The point is to GET HIS NAME out there to potential voters. That is the long and short of it. If the NRA has been lame in the past to Dr. Paul, what does that matter - this is about getting his MESSAGE AND FACE out there to voters!

Another bad move, imho - IF the NRA is correct in their response.

I guess this is another "glen beck" scenario.. loose out on getting the message to millions of people because of something personal. stupid.

Richandler
11-28-2007, 06:47 PM
Why again are pushing for the NRA? This campaign is about freedom not gun toting. We need mainstream votes if we are to win. So I don't know why you guys care what the NRA says. The last time I even heard anything about them was in Michael Moore's documentary. That is how relevent they are.

Madison
11-28-2007, 07:21 PM
Let me tell you something, the campaign seems to be always floundering. Again, the SAME OL' SAME OL' -- "We received NO RESPONSE after numerous attempts at contact..". I mean, I have heard this many times from seperate organganizations.

Ron Paul is RUNNING A CAMPAIGN. The point is to GET HIS NAME out there to potential voters. That is the long and short of it. If the NRA has been lame in the past to Dr. Paul, what does that matter - this is about getting his MESSAGE AND FACE out there to voters!

Another bad move, imho - IF the NRA is correct in their response.

I guess this is another "glen beck" scenario.. loose out on getting the message to millions of people because of something personal. stupid.

QFT. He needs name recognition and needs to get his name out however he can. He has no chance of winning if this kind of incompetence continues.

Avalon
11-28-2007, 07:34 PM
Why don't any of you guys who are still whining/complaining about this bother to rebut my post on page 4?

vegetarianrpfan
11-28-2007, 07:38 PM
It doesn't matter whether the NRA sucks or not, RP's campaign should have contacted them so he could appear by video if he couldn't make it. He is PERFECT for those unenlightened gun owners who haven't yet abandoned the NRA for the GOA, and he should have been going and speaking to that crowd like mad.

--------------------------------------
Libertarian Girl
http://www.libertariangirl.com

Dlynne
11-30-2007, 11:51 AM
I was disappointed that the campaign messed up the media conference/briefing in conjunction with the Philly rally. At least 2 media outlets mentioned it. I stated my opinion a while ago that Paul needs professional and experienced people on his staff.

Sematary
11-30-2007, 11:53 AM

You NEVER miss an opportunity. I am not all that impressed with whomever is scheduling for Dr. Paul

rpfreedom08
11-30-2007, 11:58 AM
yet another reason they we need to have a grassroots representative to the Ron Paul campaign.

MN Patriot
11-30-2007, 01:05 PM
The NRA isn't but a fart in the wind compared to GOA. They'e becomre waaaay too cozy with the inside-the-beltway crowd.

I've been a member of the NRA for years, and have been very satisfied with their defense of our 2nd Amendment rights.

I've heard of Gun Owners of America, but haven't looked into them at all.

Why is the GOA "better" than the NRA? Has there been something going on behind the scenes most of us aren't aware of?

(ps, would this qualify as a new thread topic?)

BigFatRock
11-30-2007, 05:01 PM
I've been a member of the NRA for years, and have been very satisfied with their defense of our 2nd Amendment rights.

I've heard of Gun Owners of America, but haven't looked into them at all.

Why is the GOA "better" than the NRA? Has there been something going on behind the scenes most of us aren't aware of?

(ps, would this qualify as a new thread topic?)

http://www.gunowners.org/a100407.htm