PDA

View Full Version : Deputy Drug Dealer faces life sentence.

mrsat_98
09-30-2013, 12:40 PM
http://www.majorgeeks.com/news/story/feds_arrest_pot_dealer_in_his_police_cruiser.html

Feds arrest pot dealer in his police cruiser
Posted by: Jon Ben-Mayor on 09/23/2013 02:48 PM [ Comments ]
A Newton county, GA., deputy was arrested after an investigation was initiated from information that was provided by a confidential informant; deputy Darrell Mathis allegedly told the informant he could sell pot without fear because "he drives safely and flashes police credentials to get out of tickets if stopped."

According to the report from CNN, an undercover sting operation nabbed an Atlanta-area sheriff's deputy who was selling marijuana out of his patrol car and in uniform, federal authorities say.

"This defendant used his position as a police officer to openly violate the very laws that he was sworn to uphold," U.S. Attorney Sally Quillian Yates said in a written statement. "Selling marijuana out of his police car while wearing a badge and uniform is outrageous. This case is a reminder that no one is above the law."

Mathis has been charged with possession of marijuana with intent to distribute and with carrying a firearm during a drug offense -- a charge that could bring a possible life sentence if convicted. He did not immediately return messages seeking comment Sunday.

Newton County is about 30 miles east of Atlanta. Sheriff Ezell Brown said Mathis has been placed on administrative leave, and his office is cooperating with the investigation.

According to the charges against him, Mathis attracted the attention of the FBI in April after what officials called a "social visit" by a person who went on to become a confidential informant. The informant visited Mathis at his apartment and saw large bags of what was "believed to be marijuana" on the living room table.

The complaint states that Mathis told the informant that he wasn't concerned about getting caught, because of his safe driving and police credentials.

In June, as the agent bought a pound of pot, Mathis boasted, "I do my little 10 to 15 a week" -- a phrase the agent "understood to mean selling 10 to 15 pounds a week," the arrest affidavit states.

Then in early August, according to the complaint, Mathis met with another undercover agent, a supposed cocaine dealer. The two agents and Mathis sat down at a restaurant to discuss buying and transporting marijuana and cocaine, according to the complaint.

While the three spoke, Mathis allegedly pulled out his badge and told the undercover agent, "Don't worry, I'm on your side." By the end of the meeting, the complaint alleges, Mathis had agreed to run marijuana and cocaine from Alabama to North Carolina at the behest of the undercover agent.

Federal agents found a pound of pot on Mathis when he was arrested last week, the FBI said.

Christian Liberty
09-30-2013, 12:43 PM
I have a hard time feeling bad for him. He's getting a taste of what he likely dished out against other people.

tod evans
09-30-2013, 12:45 PM
As much as I detest cops I detest drug laws more..

Mixed feeling here.

mrsat_98
09-30-2013, 12:58 PM

Mixed feeling here.

Perhaops someone could start a John Doe amicus curiae (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amicus_curiae) brief and circulate it among pro liberty types similar to the "man or other animals" argument at

http://iamnotananimal.org/pdfs/I_AM_NOT_AN_ANIMAL.pdf and http://adask.wordpress.com/2008/06/17/man-or-other-animals-1/

and fill the file with the "man or other" animals objection.

jkr
09-30-2013, 01:03 PM
BUT SHOOT A DOG OR INNOCENT PERSON...
FK THESE "PEOPLE" LET THEM BURN

Ender
09-30-2013, 01:09 PM

Mixed feeling here.

Agreed- especially over pot.

phill4paul
09-30-2013, 01:13 PM

Mixed feeling here.

I've got a solution. Take all the people he has ever arrested on drug charges and let them go. Let him finish out the total sum of everyone he has ever arrested for drugs. Sell all his property and create a fund to recompense those that have ever served time because of his arrests.

mrsat_98
09-30-2013, 02:06 PM
BUT SHOOT A DOG OR INNOCENT PERSON...
FK THESE "PEOPLE" LET THEM BURN

amicus curiae brief:

a brief presented by someone interested in influencing the outcome of a lawsuit but who is not a party to it.

Use this dirty cops case to destroy the very law he is charged with, as in "burn the system down around them".

dannno
09-30-2013, 02:21 PM
That is what I call protecting and serving.

tod evans
09-30-2013, 02:23 PM
I've got a solution. Take all the people he has ever arrested on drug charges and let them go. Let him finish out the total sum of everyone he has ever arrested for drugs. Sell all his property and create a fund to recompense those that have ever served time because of his arrests.

This would be my idea of justice.