PDA

View Full Version : Update on shutdown negotiations

tangent4ronpaul
09-30-2013, 12:33 PM
We’re taking a short break from CR negotiations right now. While I have a few minutes, I want to update you on our strategy for avoiding a partial government shutdown and the extremely important deadline for my campaign that’s coming up tonight.

I stayed in D.C. over the weekend with most of my colleagues as we tried to come up with compromise spending packages that could make it through the Senate. Last week, we sent the Senate a bill that funds the government at current spending levels and permanently defunds Obamacare.

Harry Reid and Senate Democrats rejected our first offer. And they went further: They said that they would not negotiate with Republicans toward a compromise!

Undeterred, House Republicans worked into the early morning hours on Sunday to send another package to the Senate. Our bill funds the government at current spending levels and postpones Obamacare for one year. Since President Obama already has delayed several pieces of Obamacare, we think that this is another reasonable compromise.

What did the Senate do? They took Sunday off.

In fact, as I write you, the Senate still is not back in session. Harry Reid said he’ll reject our latest compromise offer and not give us a counteroffer—with just hours to go before a partial shutdown.

The rumor is that President Obama and Senate Democrats are refusing to negotiate with us because they want a shutdown. They think they’ll score some political points and that’s worth whatever disruption may happen during a partial shutdown.

I’m going to meet again with my House allies and a few bold senators such as Ted Cruz, Mike Lee, and Rand Paul. We’ll try to come up with yet another compromise to make sure the government doesn’t shut down, but given the Senate’s intransigence so far, I don’t know what will satisfy them.

I have to get back to negotiations in a minute, but before I do, I need to tell you about a very serious deadline for my campaign that also will happen in a few hours.

At 11:59 PM tonight, my campaign has to close its books for the fundraising quarter. We've all heard the rumors: D.C. political operators are trying to find a candidate to take me out. We need to show them that thousands of supporters have my back.

You have been very generous with my campaign, especially over this last weekend. But my campaign staff tells me that we’re still a few thousand dollars short of our quarterly fundraising minimum.

Right now, would you make a donation to my campaign? $25, $100, $250, or $500 would go a long way to warding off establishment attacks against us.

Alright, I have to head back to meetings. I’ll do my best to keep you updated this week as we try to avoid a government shutdown while protecting Americans from Obamacare. In the meantime, please be as generous as you are able to be with my campaign.

Thanks again for all you do for my campaign and me. I couldn't do it without your support.

-t

Noob
09-30-2013, 12:41 PM
The House this time should add a full Repeal of Obamacare.

Senate rejects House funding bill with shutdown in clear sight

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/325519-senate-rejects-house-bill-with-shutdown-in-clear-sight#ixzz2gP2NyWHg

JCDenton0451
09-30-2013, 12:43 PM
Who is this guy you're quoting now, tangent4ronpaul (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/member.php?47-tangent4ronpaul)?

tangent4ronpaul
09-30-2013, 12:48 PM
Who is this guy you're quoting now, tangent4ronpaul (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/member.php?47-tangent4ronpaul)?

Sorry, that's Justin Amash

-t

JK/SEA
09-30-2013, 12:53 PM
Reid biting the rug on CSPAN now...

''what is the matter with them''?

''we are not going to be bullied''

''they are playing with fire''

''they want to shut the government down''

hahaha...

fun times..

eduardo89
09-30-2013, 12:55 PM
The House this time should add a full Repeal of Obamacare.

Senate rejects House funding bill with shutdown in clear sight

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/325519-senate-rejects-house-bill-with-shutdown-in-clear-sight#ixzz2gP2NyWHg

Those Democrat Senators from NC, LA, and AK are pretty much done in 2014 if they don't vote against Obamacare.

tangent4ronpaul
09-30-2013, 01:11 PM
OMG! - the Panda Cam will shut down if the gvmt does!

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/panda-monium-national-zoo-beloved-panda-cam-shutter-federal-government-shuts-article-1.1471851

-t

JCDenton0451
09-30-2013, 01:11 PM
Reid biting the rug on CSPAN now...

''what is the matter with them''?

''we are not going to be bullied''

''they are playing with fire''

''they want to shut the government down''

hahaha...

fun times..

You find this amusing?:rolleyes:

Wake up and smell the coffee. Obamacare isn't going anywhere. What may go are the Republican congressmen, from blue and purple states, Republicans like Justin Amash.

Lucille
09-30-2013, 01:13 PM
Senate Kills House Bill: What Happens Next
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-09-30/senate-kills-house-bill-what-happens-next

Now that the Senate has killed the latest proposal passed by the House, and with Harry Reid making it clear he is not interested in a one week Continuing Resolution stopgap, Bloomberg reports that the House will take the tabled bill and make these two changes to it:

HOUSE PLAN SAID TO DELAY INDIVIDUAL MANDATE OF HEALTH CARE LAW
HOUSE PLAN SAID TO CUT HEALTH SUBSIDIES FOR LAWMAKERS, STAFF; U.S. HOUSE WILL TRY TO PASS NEW EMERGENCY FUNDING BILL REQUIRING OBAMA AND ADMINISTRATION OFFICIALS TO SIGN UP FOR OBAMACARE-REP. ISSA

And, as expected, if and when this iteration of the dead-end bill passes, the Senate will kill it again. So unless there is a dramatic change in strategy by either party, the government shutdown in just over 9 hours (however brief or not so brief) seems inevitable.

Update: and just to seal the deal, Reid literally adds insult to injury: REID CALLS HOUSE REPUBLICANS `ANARCHISTS'

JCDenton0451
09-30-2013, 01:19 PM
This isn't a negotiation. There is nothing to negotiate. The House just needs to pass a clean CR, without any "poison pill" legislation attached to it.

tangent4ronpaul
09-30-2013, 01:38 PM
Imagine - if the gvmt shut down and no one missed it. No one noticed.

How long can we hope it shuts down for?

-t

jkob
09-30-2013, 01:43 PM
Imagine - if the gvmt shut down and no one missed it. No one noticed.

How long can we hope it shuts down for?

-t

That's basically what happened with sequestration.

mosquitobite
09-30-2013, 01:49 PM
What if the sky doesn't fall?
http://dailycaller.com/2013/09/29/u-s-economy-boomed-during-19951996-shutdown/#ixzz2gPDm33Cg

Lucille
09-30-2013, 01:50 PM
This isn't a negotiation. There is nothing to negotiate. The House just needs to pass a clean CR, without any "poison pill" legislation attached to it.

Because the only direction this country is allowed to move is left.

JK/SEA
09-30-2013, 01:54 PM

lol

JCDenton0451
09-30-2013, 01:55 PM
It's frustrating to see so many ignorant people opinionating on things they don't have the slightest clue about.

Government shutdown =/= sequestration

JK/SEA
09-30-2013, 01:55 PM

Wake up and smell the coffee. Obamacare isn't going anywhere. What may go are the Republican congressmen, from blue and purple states, Republicans like Justin Amash.

you wishin' or hopin'?....

yeah...i find this all really amusing....and hopeful.

ClydeCoulter
09-30-2013, 01:58 PM

You're right, we want ACA dead and that's all there is to it, even if there is a ...OMG....government shutdown. :D

mosquitobite
09-30-2013, 01:58 PM
The House should add an amendment that says Congress to not be paid until a CR is signed by President Obama!

jj-
09-30-2013, 01:59 PM
The House should add an amendment that says Congress to not be paid until a CR is signed by President Obama!

I think a Constitutional Amendment is required for that.

Dr.3D
09-30-2013, 02:01 PM
It's frustrating to see so many ignorant people opinionating on things they don't have the slightest clue about.

Government shutdown =/= sequestration
Oh, maybe they should educated us with a government shutdown.
I doubt many here would even notice.

JCDenton0451
09-30-2013, 02:03 PM
Because the only direction this country is allowed to move is left.

This is what's going to happen if "the right" continue to discredit themselves as a viable political alternative.

You're right, we want ACA dead and that's all there is to it, even if there is a ...OMG....government shutdown. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
^^
That's what I was talking about. Grow up, folks.

jj-
09-30-2013, 02:09 PM
This is what's going to happen if "the right" continue to discredit themselves as a viable political alternative.

For the benefit of the audience, what JC means by being a "viable political alternative" is "acting like Democrats and supporting the policies of the Democrats".

What a boring troll JC is.

Lucille
09-30-2013, 02:33 PM
^^
That's what I was talking about. Grow up, folks.

The neo-Trotskyite GOP discredited itself by being a second big government party.

And please stop acting like we have any say in the matter. Who do you think we are here...big bank, big insurance, big ag, the MIC? We're mundanes, pal, and the Bifactional Ruling Party couldn't care less what we want or have to say.

HOLLYWOOD
09-30-2013, 02:35 PM
Harry Reid is one hell of a CON ARTIST... you typical Partisan-Lifer-Establishment-Careerist politician.

"On Medical devices issue(repealing that tax)... the House & Senate will run up $30 Billion in Debt, how do you like that? ,,, the #1 issue of America last year was ObamaCare and the people voted, 6 million more for it."

Of course Harry Reid continued the nonsense that
"children will go back to being denied life-saving care"

I despise these scumbag elitists that use children in their lies.

"600,000 Nevadans become eligible to purchase insurance beginning tomorrow ... ObamaCare means "ACCESS" to "AFFORDABLE" Doctor visits, Hospital stays, prescription drugs, and more! Uninsured Nevadans will have ACCESS to good insurance plans and cost as little as a hundred dollars a month. Nevadans will have care for less than their monthly PAID cellphone bill. Republicans will rip that lifeline away.

Republicans was to return to the days when insurance companies can discriminate against women... Why? Because they're women!"

Harry Reid, "People love Social Security and Medicare..." :rolleyes:

anaconda
09-30-2013, 02:37 PM

I would prefer that the House do nothing more. The most recent CR is their last offer. Shut it down. Forever. It will forever change the language of future legislation and negotiations.

georgiaboy
09-30-2013, 02:43 PM
Oh, maybe they should educated us with a government shutdown.
I doubt many here would even notice.

That gets my vote. Throw it in the woods. It's a game of chicken, and I ain't swerving.

georgiaboy
09-30-2013, 02:45 PM
I would prefer that the House do nothing more. The most recent CR is their last offer. Shut it down. Forever. It will forever change the language of future legislation and negotiations.

Agree with your suggestion, but can you elaborate on how the things you mention would actually change?

georgiaboy
09-30-2013, 02:47 PM
We’re taking a short break from CR negotiations right now. While I have a few minutes, I want to update you on our strategy for avoiding a partial government shutdown and the extremely important deadline for my campaign that’s coming up tonight.

keyword

LibertyEagle
09-30-2013, 02:49 PM

Uh. NO!!!!!!!!!!

CaptLouAlbano
09-30-2013, 02:49 PM
House is looking at pushing through a CR with a one year delay and eliminating the congressional subsidies for healthcare. By doing so they are forcing the Dems to vote for their own subsidies.

More here: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/09/house-senate-government-shutdown-97557.html

CaptLouAlbano
09-30-2013, 02:50 PM

Thanks for your input Senator Reid.

dillo
09-30-2013, 02:51 PM
Those Democrat Senators from NC, LA, and AK are pretty much done in 2014 if they don't vote against Obamacare.

Im pretty sure the south states really only care about welfare, and they love it. They are basically pro 2nd democrats.

georgiaboy
09-30-2013, 02:52 PM
House is looking at pushing through a CR with a one year delay and eliminating the congressional subsidies for healthcare. By doing so they are forcing the Dems to vote for their own subsidies.

More here: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/09/house-senate-government-shutdown-97557.html

So proud of the House Republicans & their leadership for this. HOLD!!!

CaptLouAlbano
09-30-2013, 02:53 PM
So proud of the House Republicans & their leadership for this. HOLD!!!

They finally grew a set of balls.

LibertyEagle
09-30-2013, 02:54 PM
Shut 'er down, Clancy. She's a pumpin' mud.

JCDenton0451
09-30-2013, 02:57 PM
The neo-Trotskyite GOP discredited itself by being a second big government party.

And please stop acting like we have any say in the matter. Who do you think we are here...big bank, big insurance, big ag, the MIC? We're mundanes, pal, and the Bifactional Ruling Party couldn't care less what we want or have to say.

The GOP is pro-government when in power, "anti-government" when in opposition, but always Stupid.

I don't blame the RPF community for a government shutdown. But the posters here are representative of the kind people who attend town hall meetings, and donate to conservative politicians. They encourage this sort of idiocy.

I believe conservative Republicans have grossly miscalculated the politics surrounding Obamacare, and willingness of the public to tolerate pain as the GOP tries to dismantle it.

LibertyEagle
09-30-2013, 02:59 PM
The GOP is pro-government when in power, "anti-government" when in opposition, but always Stupid.

I don't blame the RPF community for a government shutdown. But the posters here are representative of the kind people who attend town hall meetings, and donate to conservative politicians. They encourage this sort of idiocy.

I believe conservative Republicans have grossly miscalculated the politics surrounding Obamacare, and willingness of the public to tolerate pain as the GOP tries to dismantle it.

Are you kidding? It is Obamacare that is going to cause the pain!

LibertyEagle
09-30-2013, 03:00 PM
CSPAN just covered what would be shut down and it doesn't amount to squat, as far as I am concerned. It's too bad much more wouldn't be shut down. :(

Dr.3D
09-30-2013, 03:02 PM

That's why Romney lost. The GOP should be pro-small-government all the time.
Romney is just another old GOP problem.
Don't expect people like him to become president in the future.

CaptLouAlbano
09-30-2013, 03:03 PM
CSPAN just covered what would be shut down and it doesn't amount to squat, as far as I am concerned. It's too bad much more wouldn't be shut down. :(

Biggest fear of the Dems is that the gov't gets shut down and no one notices. The media will be out in full force though with all the sob stories. This is all about 2014 here. The Dems can lose the Senate based on who is up for reelection, the GOP seats are all safe ones, not so much for the Dems - they have at least 12 seats that could flip in the right political climate.

CaptLouAlbano
09-30-2013, 03:04 PM

Idiocy is voting to fund Obamacare when you have campaigned that you will vote to defund it. Idiocy is voting to fund Obamacare when your phones are ringing off the hooks with your constituents telling you to hold your ground.

LibertyEagle
09-30-2013, 03:05 PM
Biggest fear of the Dems is that the gov't gets shut down and no one notices. The media will be out in full force though with all the sob stories. This is all about 2014 here. The Dems can lose the Senate based on who is up for reelection, the GOP seats are all safe ones, not so much for the Dems - they have at least 12 seats that could flip in the right political climate.

Oh, I remember the last one. All kinds of sobs stories about little Bobby going to Washington, D.C. with his family and because of the shutdown, he couldn't visit some of the attractions.

Lucille
09-30-2013, 03:07 PM
Are you kidding? It is Obamacare that is going to cause the pain!

They're not even trying to defund or kill BBFMS at this point anyway. They're trying to delay the mandate and reverse the Ruling Class' exemption. It will still be available for BSC! people who want to sign up for it.

georgiaboy
09-30-2013, 03:07 PM
Oh, I remember the last one. All kinds of sobs stories about little Bobby going to Washington, D.C. with his family and because of the shutdown, he couldn't visit some of the attractions.

ha - yeah - White House visits. Heartbreaking, really.

georgiaboy
09-30-2013, 03:08 PM
Hopefully this bodes well for a debt ceiling THRILLA.

CaptLouAlbano
09-30-2013, 03:09 PM

Same with the sequester and now that time has passed does anyone even care? No.

After the shutdown in the 90's the GOP held the House, gained in the Senate and got some bills signed that previously would have never been signed. They held their ground and it worked. They should do the same today.

It's rare that folks like myself are able to give credit to the House leadership, but so far they are doing well on this issue. Perhaps since Boehner is not planning on seeking the Speakership next session (possibly retiring?) he has nothing to lose and can be strong on this. History tells us that he will eventually cave, but my hope is that he does not this time.

georgiaboy
09-30-2013, 03:11 PM
They're not even trying to defund or kill BBFMS at this point anyway. They're trying to delay the mandate and reverse the Ruling Class' exemption. It will still be available for BSC! people who want to sign up.

Oh, wow, thanks for the clarification. Senate should be taken to task if they don't pass this very generous compromise position by the House.

Deborah K

What part of "over half of the country doesn't want obummercare" don't you get???

The republicans are doing everything they can to stop it. That's their job!!!

CaptLouAlbano
They're not even trying to defund or kill BBFMS at this point anyway. They're trying to delay the mandate and reverse the Ruling Class' exemption. It will still be available for BSC! people who want to sign up for it.

It's a fair negotiating point. Start with the full defunding and go back with what they have now. Shows that they are willing to negotiate, where Reid is not.

JCDenton0451
09-30-2013, 03:13 PM
That's why Romney lost. The GOP should be pro-small-government all the time.
Romney is just another old GOP problem.
Don't expect people like him to become president in the future.

Being small-government won't make much of a difference so long as the party remains Stupid though.

CaptLouAlbano
Posted this in another thread, but seems like more people are here.

The following Dem Senators are up for reelection in 2014 and are running. These are the ones that need to be contacted should this most recent bill (one year delay and remove the Congressional subsidy) pass the House:

Mark Begich (AK)
Mark Pryor (AR)
Mark Udall (CO)
Chris Coons (DE)
Brian Schatz (HI)
Richard Durbin (IL)
Mary Landrieu (LA)
Ed Markey (MA)
AL Franken (MN)
Jeanne Shaheen (NH)
Tom Udall (NM)
Kay Hagan (NC)
Jeff Merkley (OR)
Jack Reed (RI)
Mark Warner (VA)

georgiaboy
I don't blame the RPF community for a government shutdown.

Blame us! Blame us!

CaptLouAlbano
09-30-2013, 03:14 PM
Being small-government won't make much of a difference so long as the party remains Stupid though.

Howard Dean whispering in your ear? You seem to get your talking points from him, Chris Matthews and Rachel Maddow.

Lucille
09-30-2013, 03:16 PM
Hopefully this bodes well for a debt ceiling THRILLA.

Yay! More drama! Has there ever been such a massive assemblage of drama queens in Washington than today? I don't think so!

Same with the sequester and now that time has passed does anyone even care? No.

After the shutdown in the 90's the GOP held the House, gained in the Senate and got some bills signed that previously would have never been signed. They held their ground and it worked. They should do the same today.

It's rare that folks like myself are able to give credit to the House leadership, but so far they are doing well on this issue. Perhaps since Boehner is not planning on seeking the Speakership next session (possibly retiring?) he has nothing to lose and can be strong on this. History tells us that he will eventually cave, but my hope is that he does not this time.

Probably because things got better for the average American.

Government Shutdown: Good for the Economy, Say 1990s Results
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?429131-Government-Shutdown-Good-for-the-Economy-Say-1990s-Results

CaptLouAlbano
09-30-2013, 03:19 PM
Cspan just said what will shut down. 800,000 federal workers would be furloughed (about 30% of the federal workforce). The following would be closed: National Parks, Federal Museums, Overseas Offices, Regulatory Agencies, IRS Call Centers, Federal Grant/Contract Offices

LibertyEagle
09-30-2013, 03:23 PM
Cspan just said what will shut down. 800,000 federal workers would be furloughed (about 30% of the federal workforce). The following would be closed: National Parks, Federal Museums, Overseas Offices, Regulatory Agencies, IRS Call Centers, Federal Grant/Contract Offices

Uh huh. The depressing part is when they listed what would stay open.

Lucille
Oh, wow, thanks for the clarification. Senate should be taken to task if they don't pass this very generous compromise position by the House.

I think so, and no matter what O Duce says (http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-09-30/president-obama-explain-whose-fault-it-anyway-live-webcast), if the fedgov has a partial shut down, it's on him and the Dems.

HOUSE PLAN SAID TO DELAY INDIVIDUAL MANDATE OF HEALTH CARE LAW
HOUSE PLAN SAID TO CUT HEALTH SUBSIDIES FOR LAWMAKERS, STAFF; U.S. HOUSE WILL TRY TO PASS NEW EMERGENCY FUNDING BILL REQUIRING OBAMA AND ADMINISTRATION OFFICIALS TO SIGN UP FOR OBAMACARE-REP. ISSA (http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-09-30/senate-kills-house-bill-what-happens-next)

JCDenton0451
Howard Dean whispering in your ear? You seem to get your talking points from him, Chris Matthews and Rachel Maddow.

Which part of my statement wasn't accurate? No, Romney didn't lose his election because he wasn't conservative enough. Absurd!

Do you think Ted Cruz would do better? Ha!

Dr.3D
09-30-2013, 03:24 PM
Stupid? Ha, the Democrats had it passed to them on a silver platter. No government shutdown and a one year postponement of the ACA. If they had accepted that, they wouldn't have to worry so much about losing the Senate in 2014. Now with them shutting down the government and allowing the ACA to fall on it's face, they are pretty much assured to lose the Senate in 2014. So it looks like they are the ones playing stupid in this game.

angelatc
09-30-2013, 03:24 PM
The FEC sent out an email to tell subscribers their seminars will be cancelled. Looking at OpenSecrets.org, it looks like only the commissioners will stay on the payroll. Everybody else is getting furloughed.

CaptLouAlbano
09-30-2013, 03:27 PM
Which part of my statement wasn't accurate? No, Romney didn't lose his election because he wasn't conservative enough. Absurd!

You said, "Being small-government won't make much of a difference so long as the party remains Stupid though"

My grandson calls people "stupid" sometimes, he gets spanked for it. But somehow I think he is smart enough not to capitalize the word "stupid" in the middle of a sentence.

Furthermore, a party cannot be "stupid". A party is a group of people from registered voters, to elected committee persons to elected officials. If anything, your statement is stupid.

CaptLouAlbano
09-30-2013, 03:28 PM
House is back in

http://www.c-span.org/Live-Video/C-SPAN/

angelatc
09-30-2013, 03:31 PM

Nonsense. They used reconciliation to pass Obamacare. All we need is 51 votes in the Senate to repeal it the same way. And since at least 65% of the country hates the bill, it doesn't seem like a losing position.

09-30-2013, 03:32 PM

No, Cruz has torpedoed any possible chance in a general presidential election. He is going to be squarely blamed for the shutdown.

I don't personally really care about a shutdown, they could leave all they shut closed, but the general public is overwhelmingly against it and overwhelming blaming the GOP and Cruz.

Some people can't see outside the bubble, I can.

CaptLouAlbano
09-30-2013, 03:37 PM
No, Cruz has torpedoed any possible chance in a general presidential election. He is going to be squarely blamed for the shutdown.

I don't personally really care about a shutdown, they could leave all they shut closed, but the general public is overwhelmingly against it and overwhelming blaming the GOP and Cruz.

But at the same time people are overwhelmingly against Obamacare. This is the opportunity the House has to force a delay, because it is attached to the "threat" of a shutdown. It cannot pass the Senate on its own, as we have seen with the numerous repeal bills that have passed the House already. What is needed is to force the hand of Dem Senators. This latest bill which delays for one year and removes the Congressional subsidy is a smart way of doing so, since it will force Dems to vote for their own subsidies. The following Dem Senators are running for reelection in 2014:

Mark Begich (AK)
Mark Pryor (AR)
Mark Udall (CO)
Chris Coons (DE)
Brian Schatz (HI)
Richard Durbin (IL)
Mary Landrieu (LA)
Ed Markey (MA)
AL Franken (MN)
Jeanne Shaheen (NH)
Tom Udall (NM)
Kay Hagan (NC)
Jeff Merkley (OR)
Jack Reed (RI)
Mark Warner (VA)

8 of them are from red or swing states. These 8 are the most vulnerable. If (or should I say when) this bill passes the House, these Senators (particuarly the 8 mentioned) need to be contacted. These Senators will have to make a choice as to what is more important, their own asses or Obama's legacy.

georgiaboy
09-30-2013, 03:39 PM
But at the same time people are overwhelmingly against Obamacare. This is the opportunity the House has to force a delay, because it is attached to the "threat" of a shutdown. It cannot pass the Senate on its own, as we have seen with the numerous repeal bills that have passed the House already. What is needed is to force the hand of Dem Senators. This latest bill which delays for one year and removes the Congressional subsidy is a smart way of doing so, since it will force Dems to vote for their own subsidies. The following Dem Senators are running for reelection in 2014:

Mark Begich (AK)
Mark Pryor (AR)
Mark Udall (CO)
Chris Coons (DE)
Brian Schatz (HI)
Richard Durbin (IL)
Mary Landrieu (LA)
Ed Markey (MA)
AL Franken (MN)
Jeanne Shaheen (NH)
Tom Udall (NM)
Kay Hagan (NC)
Jeff Merkley (OR)
Jack Reed (RI)
Mark Warner (VA)

8 of them are from red or swing states. These 8 are the most vulnerable. If (or should I say when) this bill passes the House, these Senators (particuarly the 8 mentioned) need to be contacted. These Senators will have to make a choice as to what is more important, their own asses or Obama's legacy.

I smell blood in the water.

JK/SEA
09-30-2013, 03:41 PM

democrats are blameless?....wow...

i don't see it that way...Dems are being hardline communists....end of story.

of course i'm not alluding that you are a communist.....

burp.

jbauer
09-30-2013, 03:41 PM
Im pretty sure the south states really only care about welfare, and they love it. They are basically pro 2nd democrats.

Go sit on your thumb and rotate. "Us Sothern States" would happily leave you guys to yourselves. Everyone's got a welfare problem and "we're" certainly not democrats.

nobody's_hero
09-30-2013, 03:42 PM

Absolutely! The democratic machine is running on fumes of fear. They've essentially built up their entire existence based on the belief that the people need them or else everything goes to hell in a handbasket.

georgiaboy
09-30-2013, 03:48 PM

800k is only 30%? Gives bloated bureaucracy a whole new perspective. FYI, 30% of Walmart's US workforce is about half that, or 400k.

Nothing in that list I'm gonna miss.

Cabinet meetings will be nice and condensed.

HOLLYWOOD
09-30-2013, 03:51 PM
Latest I just heard... "John Boehner will send the ObamaCare CR back over to the Senate with just one exception, a delay of one year on mandatory enrollment" all taxes, fees, operations continue to attack your wallets/bank accounts.

Now a little clip from CIA embedded Al-Jazerra News:

Former NBC/MSNBC reporter now employed by Al-Jazerra America, MIKE VIQUIERA,

'Justin Amash, who perhaps is the chief rabble-rowser, a real thorn in the side, of house republican leadership, he's a Tea party republican from Michigan. Tweeted out the other day, " The number One job of government, it to protect the individual rights. Ah, the president says, " the #1 job is to fund the government."
I mean, you can make an argument either way... if you look in the Constitution, there are several other number one jobs, that the Congress is tasked with.

Ahhh, as far as passing these spending bills, uh, that the president was talking about, well, you know, it's really a pox on both houses, because when Democrats are running things, they are unable to pass the fundamental budget. When, republicans are running things they are unable to pass that blueprint of a budget this spring, then come this time of year, it always ends up this train-wreck. There are 12 individual spending bills, and that's what we're talking about here. These are called appropriations bills, the fundamental duty of Congress, the power of the Purse Tony, to pass those bills to keep all of the government agencies running. And, Uh, every year, fewer and fewer of them gets passed. This year exactly ZERO, a big fat zero got passed. and that brings us to the brink, to what we are talking about here.

Tony, I wanta talk about mentioned, the House & Senate, uh, today, decision, to whether the military gets paid or not, the Senate did, sorta went under the radar and all of the other hoopla, the Senate did pass a measure that regard, the military will be paid, regardless of how this turns out.

So Mike just a couple of quick ones... Is there any doubt in your mind , if there was some kind of extension, right, clean spending bill, of the budget passed, these wanding hours here, and provide an extension for a week or so, that we will be back where we are now?

Let's say for the sake of the argument that the Senate wins this and they pass what the Senate passed, uh over the weekend., uh it was Friday. Uh, that is a temporary measure. The power of Washington power call a stop gap measure. Uh, it only lasts until Nov. 15th, we're going to be right back at it again. The president is going to have his AIR FORCE ONE on the tarmac, out at Andrews(AFB) at XMAS time, his family is already going to be out in Hawaii for their ANNUAL vacation. I mean you can almost see it coming, because it happens every year, uh, they're going to be playing chicken again, over federal spending.... AND AND...God help us, the Federal Debt Ceiling as well. Things do not bode well.

I hate to be the bearer of Doom and gloom, and it's the reality here. uh, here in Washington , it's the result of all the gridlock and partisanship here that we've been talking about.

09-30-2013, 03:52 PM

Mark Begich (AK)
Mark Pryor (AR)
Mark Udall (CO)
Chris Coons (DE)
Brian Schatz (HI)
Richard Durbin (IL)
Mary Landrieu (LA)
Ed Markey (MA)
AL Franken (MN)
Jeanne Shaheen (NH)
Tom Udall (NM)
Kay Hagan (NC)
Jeff Merkley (OR)
Jack Reed (RI)
Mark Warner (VA)

If you average all the polls with margins of error etc, the country is split roughly 50/50 on Ocare.

The D senators aren't going to flip. Not a chance and you don't even have half the GOP senators on board so 8 D's won't make a difference. Pick a battle that can be won.

democrats are blameless?....wow...

i don't see it that way...Dems are being hardline communists....end of story.

of course i'm not alluding that you are a communist.....

burp.

I don't recall me personally holding them blameless. My personal opinion is that I think the whole thing is stupid on both sides, it's not a winnable battle for the R's but the D's should negotiate and give a little consolation prize concession at least.

I am thinking outside the RP forums bubble in my previous post.

pcosmar
09-30-2013, 03:54 PM
Nonsense. They used reconciliation to pass Obamacare. All we need is 51 votes in the Senate to repeal it the same way. And since at least 65% of the country hates the bill, it doesn't seem like a losing position.

They used Abortion.

As a political hot potato.

It was transparent,, and a anti-abortion (D) Senator lost his seat.. resigned over it, (allegedly).

Abortion sold Obamacare.

Dary
09-30-2013, 03:55 PM

I do. Hilariously fucking amusing.

While I'm at it, I gotta get this off my chest, and I guess this thread is as good a place as any...

Fuck you Dick Durbin.

There. Now I feel better.

pcosmar
09-30-2013, 03:59 PM
Oh,, and as to the (alleged/proposed) shutdown,,,,

Shut it Down

jbauer
09-30-2013, 04:01 PM

Rmoney lost because republicans stayed home. There wasn't this flood of support for dumbo. Would Cruz to better? All that depends on the mood of the country. Cruz wouldn't have done better in 12 because nobody knew him. In 16 maybe who knows. 14 and 16 play out over obamacare.

Rudeman
09-30-2013, 04:05 PM
So it looks like Peter King is trying to lead a revolt of "moderates" to oppose any bill that is anti-Obamacare.

Lucille
09-30-2013, 04:06 PM
Latest I just heard... "John Boehner will send the ObamaCare CR back over to the Senate with just one exception, a delay of one year on mandatory enrollment" all taxes, fees, operations continue.

Really? Without the reversal of the ruling class exemption? Boehner really wants it passed. If Reid et al. won't agree to that, then they're just being intractable, unreasonable dicks, and want a shut down.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/sites/all/files/images/Picture%2017_0.png

Rudeman
09-30-2013, 04:31 PM
Cruz just mentioned passing individual funding bills if the Senate rejects plan C during his interview with Wolf. Should be interesting to see how the Democrats respond.

tangent4ronpaul
09-30-2013, 04:58 PM
Regulatory Agencies

w00t!!!! FTW!!!

-t

tangent4ronpaul
09-30-2013, 05:01 PM
Lovely how all the police state JBT's are considered "essential" workers... :rolleyes:

-t

HOLLYWOOD
09-30-2013, 05:26 PM
Really? Without the reversal of the ruling class exemption? Boehner really wants it passed. If Reid et al. won't agree to that, then they're just being intractable, unreasonable dicks, and want a shut down.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/sites/all/files/images/Picture%2017_0.png

Join a UNION or Government agency to get an ObamaCare/ACA exemption. But isn't that their plan all along? Grow the BORG and weaken independence.

Lucille
09-30-2013, 05:32 PM
Join a UNION or Government agency to get an ObamaCare/ACA exemption. But isn't that their plan all along? Grow the BORG and weaken independence.

That, or run for federal office.

[deleted, too OT]

CaptLouAlbano
09-30-2013, 05:33 PM

I've said this a few times recently, but it's germane to the thread. Obamacare was designed to fail. The plan, as I believe it to be, is as follows:

1) Implement Obamacare in 2014
2) It becomes the clusterfuck it was designed to be
3) Blame its inability to work on the GOP, big business, greedy insurance companies, Wall Street, the rich, etc (i.e. the usual scapegoats)
4) Dems win the House in 2014 and hold the Senate
5) Dems pass a single payer system and Obama is lauded as the greatest Progressive of all time.

However, I think Obama and Co. are too cocky and Obamacare is going to piss just enough people off that they do not win the House and lose the Senate.

Bastiat's The Law
09-30-2013, 05:43 PM
So it looks like Peter King is trying to lead a revolt of "moderates" to oppose any bill that is anti-Obamacare.

How do New Yorkers endure that man?

tangent4ronpaul
09-30-2013, 05:52 PM
Check out the politics here:

amendment up for debate is to make gvmt loose their Obamacare exemption. Doesn't effect too many ppl and all can well afford to flush those funds and get better care.

But they are screaming bloody murder about big corporations like Micky D's and unions getting exemptions, yet the bill doesn't address them at all.

:rolleyes:

-t

VoluntaryAmerican
09-30-2013, 05:58 PM
But at the same time people are overwhelmingly against Obamacare.

Based on what polls?

Most I have seen its been pretty split, around 50/50 ... 40/60.

Rudeman
09-30-2013, 06:09 PM
How do New Yorkers endure that man?

No idea, but thankfully his revolt failed miserably. He was claiming to have 20-25 votes (which would have been enough) but he only had 5 votes + his own.

tsai3904
09-30-2013, 06:16 PM

jj-
09-30-2013, 06:51 PM
Massie understands.

enhanced_deficit
09-30-2013, 06:53 PM
Once again a UK paper is punking all US news media sites by providing fastest live updates on shutdown battle :

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/30/us-government-shutdown-congress-dea (http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/30/us-government-shutdown-congress-deadline-live)

ClydeCoulter
09-30-2013, 06:55 PM

georgiaboy
09-30-2013, 07:19 PM
so where does this stand now?

Has the House sent anything over to the Senate yet? If so, what?

ClydeCoulter
09-30-2013, 07:48 PM
so where does this stand now?

Has the House sent anything over to the Senate yet? If so, what?

Senate killed the last one...it's back at the house

Rand wants to fold for a couple of weeks...just gives a peek at the stamina of the republicans.

LibertyEagle
09-30-2013, 08:30 PM
It is for thee, but not for me.

Signed,

The U.S. government

Rudeman
09-30-2013, 08:33 PM
They should pass individual appropriation bills. During Rand's interview with Hannity he mentioned there were 12 individual appropriation bills and they could have passed 11 of 12 and then fought over the last one (the portion that included Obamacare funding).

mosquitobite
09-30-2013, 08:38 PM
trending on twitter: #GOPmovietitles

ClydeCoulter
09-30-2013, 08:44 PM
House GOP seeks conference with Senate Dems on shutdown

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/325683-next-step-house-gop-seeks-conference-with-senate-dems

House Republican leaders will seek a conference committee with Senate Democrats in a last-ditch effort to find a compromise on a short-term spending bill, a GOP aide confirmed late Monday night.

enhanced_deficit
09-30-2013, 08:48 PM
All right, stop the countdown:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/30/us-government-shutdown-congress-deadline-live

less than 1m ago (http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/30/us-government-shutdown-congress-deadline-live#block-524a34ede4b02f9317c92434)
The Washington Post reports that the House *will not* attempt any more votes tonight. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/washington-braces-for-the-first-shutdown-of-the-national-government-in-17-years/2013/09/30/977ebca2-29bd-11e3-97a3-ff2758228523_story.html?hpid=z1)

House Republicans decided they would not attempt to pass any more bills late Monday to fund the government, setting in motion the first shutdown of federal agencies since 1996, according to two senior GOP advisers. The shutdown will begin early Tuesday.

puppetmaster
09-30-2013, 09:30 PM
I don't care......really. Let Babylon crumble

ClydeCoulter
09-30-2013, 10:01 PM
On CSpan, in the house, they just said, "The government is shut down"! :D

Dr.3D
09-30-2013, 10:05 PM
On CSpan, in the house, they just said, "The government is shut down"! :D
Emmm... are you sure? I don't feel any different.

jj-
09-30-2013, 10:06 PM
So the House basically is shutting down the government over nothing. Is it because the exception to Congress? They changed their strategy so much nobody knows what they stand for. They should've shut down the government over something specific, like not funding Obamacare, and been clear about the reason.

ClydeCoulter
09-30-2013, 10:08 PM
Emmm... are you sure? I don't feel any different.

I know, right?

And the congressmen are still on the floor and still talking...

Dr.3D
09-30-2013, 10:09 PM
I know, right?

And the congressmen are still on the floor and still talking...
When they tell us we don't have to pay federal taxes I'll then believe the government is shutdown.

matt0611
09-30-2013, 10:34 PM
When they tell us we don't have to pay federal taxes I'll then believe the government is shutdown.

LOL, yep. +rep

Its not a real "shutdown". But hey its something at least!