PDA

View Full Version : ACTION NEEDED to stop the bailout of Detroit

LibertyEagle
09-30-2013, 11:26 AM
The Obama Administration has announced it will bail out Detroit with $300 million of YOUR tax dollars. This is ridiculous. Progressives broke Motor City, and they should pay for it. Not you.

Why did Detroit declare bankruptcy? Thanks to disastrous liberal policies and politicians making promises they could not fulfill, the city racked up $18 billion in debt.

We cannot allow the President to use your tax dollars to save Detroit’s bloated bureaucracy. Take a stand right now and tell Congress that you won't pay for Detroit’s incompetence.

Send a message demanding your Congressional Representatives stop the Obama bailout of Detroit. We can’t let your hard earned money be spent bailing out union fat cats.

https://secure.freedomworks.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=1141&s_subsrc=FWFBDetriotBailout

qh4dotcom
09-30-2013, 11:52 AM
LibertyEagle, can you please do something about the people you know who voted for Obama?

ClydeCoulter
09-30-2013, 11:52 AM
Bump Bump Bump Bump Bump

jtap
09-30-2013, 12:57 PM
I'm sickened by this.

RickyJ
09-30-2013, 01:08 PM
While I am not for bailouts, considering the banks were bailed out to the tune of over 21 trillion dollars I don't think it is unreasonable to bail out a major American city with just 300 million. For those of you that are mathematically challenged, 21 trillion is 70,000 times more than 300 million.

angelatc
09-30-2013, 01:14 PM
While I am not for bailouts, considering the banks were bailed out to the tune of over 21 trillion dollars I don't think it is unreasonable to bail out a major American city with just 300 million. For those of you that are mathematically challenged, 21 trillion is 70,000 times more than 300 million.

And for those of you who are logistically challenged, I would point out that argument MIGHT make sense if anybody here supported the bank bailouts. Emphasis on the might....

And I won't even begin to point out that this isn't really even a bailout. It's a deconstruction grant. Tearing down buildings. Saving the future politically connected owners of those properties the expense. Socializing the losses, privatizing the losses.

Sheesh. I have no issues with not supporting Republicans when they act like Democrats, but this new tendency to just crab about everything the Republicans do is nonsense.

torchbearer
09-30-2013, 01:16 PM

No need to change bad behaviors when other people are paying for them.

r123
09-30-2013, 02:04 PM
Budget battle a grand bargain for liberty by Ron Paul As I write this, it appears that the federal government is about to shut down because the House and Senate cannot agree on whether to add language defunding or delaying Obamacare to the “Continuing Resolution”. Despite all the hand-wringing heard in DC, a short-term government shut down (which doesn’t actually shut down the government) will not cause the country to collapse. And the American people would benefit if Obamacare was defeated or even delayed: http://ronpaulinstitute.org/archives/featured-articles/2013/september/29/a-grand-bargain-for-liberty.aspx

Occam's Banana
09-30-2013, 02:11 PM

Greedy stupidity divided by 70,000 still equals greedy stupidity.

And I won't even begin to point out that this isn't really even a bailout. It's a deconstruction grant. Tearing down buildings. Saving the future politically connected owners of those properties the expense. Socializing the losses, privatizing the losses.

Exactly. Like TARP, etc., this is about funnelling money into the pockets of the politically well-connected - and nothing else.
For all the good it will end up doing anyone else, they might as well just give that $300,000,000 to this guy ...

http://www.blogcinefilos.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/el-caballero-oscuro-4.jpg

tod evans
09-30-2013, 02:19 PM
I could maybe muster an iota of sympathy if the proposition was to cut checks to working citizens in Detroit, you know the 12 people who haven't sat at the trough for decades..

Detroit as a city can suck eggs as far as I'm concerned, let 'em eat the politicians.

r123
09-30-2013, 02:30 PM
Ron Paul TWP #22 - Detroit, Debt... 7/26/2013 The bankruptcy of a once great city should be a wake-up...: http://www.podcastone.com/Ron-Pauls-Podcast

Ron Paul On Gold, Detroit Bankruptcy, And Rand 2016 - CNBC 7/23/13: http://www.dailypaul.com/293631/ron-paul-on-gold-detroit-bankruptcy-and-rand-2016-cnbc-7-23-13

LibertyEagle
09-30-2013, 02:35 PM
LibertyEagle, can you please do something about the people you know who voted for Obama?

Heh. We don't talk much anymore.

Deborah K
09-30-2013, 02:55 PM

Detroit is the first domino to fall. Mark my words. You want every city that files bankruptcy to be bailed out?

angelatc
09-30-2013, 03:02 PM
And on the other hand GM is getting a shiny new tax break from the city: http://www.inautonews.com/detroit-council-approves-a-600-000-tax-abatement-for-gm

mczerone
09-30-2013, 04:05 PM
(1) It's not your tax money. It's the state's money now - they stole it and they're going to do what they want. You don't matter anymore.

(2) The $300mil isn't a special "bailout" for Detroit.

It's just a fast-tracking of federal funds that were already going to major cities. They've just promised that Detroit will be first in line for 7 new police officers and some roads money.

(3) This isn't even going to pay the creditors of the City, it's just going to city services. I predict that there will be a bailout for the creditors at some point (Obama and the fedgov won't let city union pensioners or the city bondholders go without payment)

(4) In any event, this is just throwing good money after bad, it's not going to make a dent in the problems in the city, and might exacerbate some (federal dependency being one of them).