PDA

View Full Version : Politico poll: "If the government shuts down, who do you think will be to blame?"

JCDenton0451
09-30-2013, 10:19 AM
69% will blame Republicans based on 958 votes. (http://dyn.politico.com/polls/poll_resultsTop10.cfm) Only 20% will blame the Dems/Obama.

Update: 69% will blame Republicans based on 14257 votes - Republicans are REALLY unpopular now.

erowe1
09-30-2013, 10:21 AM
Why use the word "blame"? Why not say "credit"?

Warlord
69% will blame Republicans based on 958 votes. (http://dyn.politico.com/polls/poll_resultsTop10.cfm) Only 20% will blame the Dems/Obama.

So what?

ClydeCoulter

I'm sure you are working on your "blame game" tactics, or so you have been here.

osan
09-30-2013, 10:22 AM

Blame??!

How about kudos?

GregSarnowski
09-30-2013, 10:29 AM
An online poll at politico. Surely that is scientifically accurate.

Didn't parts of the government "shut down" earlier this year and nobody but a few federal leeches noticed?

Although my brother, who is is an Obama liberal who works as a congressional staffer, was bitching to me about having to turn down angry constituents for White House tours. I haven't laughed so hard in my life.

shane77m
09-30-2013, 10:32 AM
Bush

ClydeCoulter
09-30-2013, 10:34 AM
JCD, why not scroll down in the polls and see that

How concerned are you about the possibility of a government shutdown? 46% NOT, only 26% very, based on almost 8000 votes. Your quoted poll is based on 1200 votes.

But anyway, give it up dude, this is not a democracy, even though there are a lot of people that want it to be.

JCDenton0451
09-30-2013, 10:37 AM
So what?

Waterloo.

TheGrinch
09-30-2013, 10:39 AM
Loaded poll question, but yes, I can see this backfiring far more than it accomplishes.

erowe1
09-30-2013, 10:40 AM
Waterloo.

Let's say there's a government shutdown, and the Democrats win big from it and take back the House. Then they'd be able to pass all the big-government stuff you love without opposition. Why would you see that as a bad thing?

donnay
09-30-2013, 10:45 AM
Waterloo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpdcWJ6sYRM

Antischism
09-30-2013, 10:59 AM
I don't think many people really care. They figure it'll just be a bunch of men in suits arguing for a while, then everything magically going back to normal once more.

JCDenton0451
09-30-2013, 12:09 PM
I don't think many people really care. They figure it'll just be a bunch of men in suits arguing for a while, then everything magically going back to normal once more.

Perhaps, you're right. I just hope the GOP won't try to take debt ceiling hostage too. Some people may not notice a government shutdown, but default will be noticed by everyone.

erowe1
09-30-2013, 12:12 PM
Perhaps, you're right. I just hope the GOP won't try to take debt ceiling hostage too. Some people may not notice a government shutdown, but default will be noticed by everyone.

When do you think will be the right time for the federal government to default?

JCDenton0451
09-30-2013, 12:44 PM
Never.

erowe1
09-30-2013, 12:47 PM
Never.

That's impossible.

But even if it were possible, how do you defend that morally? Politicians just get to make whatever promises they want on behalf of future tax payers, and those future tax payers just have to make good on those promises no matter what?

HOLLYWOOD
09-30-2013, 01:00 PM
POLITICAL THEATER today... I do blame 1909-13 GOVERNMENT & the FEDERAL RESERVE that created this trashcan of debt and absolute corrupt power of today.

Ender
09-30-2013, 01:06 PM

Yep.

mrsat_98
09-30-2013, 02:16 PM
If we are going to play the blame game. Blame the mfers that open it back up.

ClydeCoulter
09-30-2013, 02:26 PM
JCDenton will be to blame, because he won't negotiate :D /jk

matt0611
09-30-2013, 02:32 PM
Remember how we were told the world would end if the sequester happened? :D

HOLLYWOOD
09-30-2013, 03:05 PM
Why use the word "blame"? Why not say "credit"?There already systemic good out of a shutdown... :D

Lobbyists prepare for government shutdown

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/09/lobbyists-government-shutdown-impact-97562.html?ml=tb

So lobbyists are preparing for the fact they may have lots of time on their hands.

“When Congress doesn’t do things and when Congress is not productive, people who are trying to influence Congress are not productive,” said Steve Elmendorf, a Democratic lobbyist who was a top adviser to former House Majority Leader Dick Gephardt.

“What it means is that issues that you’re working on — whether it be tax reform and immigration reform and other issues in the spending bills — don’t get resolved,” said Elmendorf, who is co-founder of the firm Elmendorf Ryan. “It makes everybody’s job harder.”

The lack of movement on big legislation has longtime K Street hands frustrated with the way Congress is working — or not working.

A thaw in the endless budget and health care battles of the past two years would be a real blessing for Washington’s lobbying corps.
“Let’s just assume that the government is beginning to operate and assume that all 13 spending bills had be passed,” said David Urban, a Republican lobbyist with the American Continental Group. “It would be a completely different landscape for lobbyists because you would have quote-un-quote normal orders.”

Instead, Urban, who was a top staffer to former Sen. Arlen Specter (R-Pa.), said the latest fight over spending are throwing a wrench in K Street’s bread and butter work of tweaking legislation and attracting new client business.

“The wide variety of client business — interests that come to Washington lobby — is now interrupted,” Urban said about the shutdown.
K Street’s lobbying firms have already been in trouble recently.

Lobbying spending peaked at about $3.6 billion in 2010 — a major legislative year that saw both a massive health care overhaul and a big Wall Street reform bill clear Congress. Since then, many of the big firms have seen their revenues flatten or drop as the lingering effects of the recession finally hit downtown firms. Between 2010 and 2012, lobbying billings dropped about 7 percent.

Those lobbying numbers have bounced back a bit in 2013 — as tax reform, gun control and immigration proposals in a post-election year have brought a significant number of new clients to Washington.

angelatc
09-30-2013, 03:21 PM
I'mmore inclined to answer the question they won't ever ask. "When the government reopens, who will be to blame?"

kcchiefs6465
09-30-2013, 03:23 PM
Never.
Four legs good, two legs bad.

jbauer
09-30-2013, 04:06 PM
Let's say there's a government shutdown, and the Democrats win big from it and take back the House. Then they'd be able to pass all the big-government stuff you love without opposition. Why would you see that as a bad thing?

As opposed to what the Republican have cramed down our throat since 9/11....whats the difference? Same $hit different color tie.

pcosmar
09-30-2013, 04:16 PM
"If the government shuts down, ,,"

Blame?

/dancininthestreet

Shut it Down

And then don't let it get back up.

JK/SEA
09-30-2013, 04:21 PM
kinda funny...and amusing, how people are eating up this 'blame' mantra...

brainwashing 101.

enhanced_deficit
09-30-2013, 04:25 PM
Poll results will change if they rephrased Q by specifying cause of shutdown.

Negative view up by 10 points when "Obamacare" used instead of "Affordable Care Act" (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?429059-Negative-view-up-by-10-points-when-quot-Obamacare-quot-used-instead-of-quot-Affordable-Care-Act-quot&)

Naming/branding is big game for politicos from "Operation Iraqi Freedom" for Iraq War to "enhanced interrogation" for torture and "Patriot Act" for stripping Constitutional liberties. GOP did well with counter branding of ACA as "Obamacare" but couldn't they have done even better job to boost opposition to it? Aren't there some terms that invoke even more negative vibes than "Obama" whilie suppressing Obama zombies support who would go for anything with his name in it? Like FHIPA (Forced Health Insurance Purchase Act) ? Or something guaranteed to be rejected by majority like SWCcare?

Negative view for same legislation jumped by almost 10 points (from 37% to 46%) by simple rebranding in poll taken this week:

Poll: More People Against 'Obamacare' Than 'Affordable Care Act' (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&ved=0CD8QFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fpolitix.topix.com%2Fhomepage%2F81 59-poll-more-people-against-obamacare-than-affordable-care-act&ei=s6lIUqGcKYLC9QSdyoC4Bw&usg=AFQjCNEJ3vj1HUfL-IcZWnkDsZeTxZ4uHg&bvm=bv.53217764,d.eWU)
2 days ago - Poll: More People Against 'Obamacare' Than 'Affordable Care Act' : Having "Obama" in the name brings out stronger opinion about the same law

CNBC found that when participants were asked about "Obamacare," more claimed they a) knew what the law was and b) did not support the legislation. In total, 29 percent of those polled were in favor of Obamacare, 46 percent were against, and 12 percent were unaware of what that was. On the flip side, when asked about the "Affordable Care Act," 22 percent supported the initiative, 37 percent were opposed to it, and 30 percent were unaware of what that was.

erowe1
09-30-2013, 04:28 PM
As opposed to what the Republican have cramed down our throat since 9/11....whats the difference? Same $hit different color tie.

I agree.

The difference is that you and I think it's bad, but JCDenton thinks it's good.

Acala
09-30-2013, 04:42 PM
That's impossible.

Exactly. The only questions are when and will it be by outright default or inflation.

Anti Federalist
09-30-2013, 06:06 PM
Blame?

Who do I thank?

Anti Federalist
09-30-2013, 06:07 PM
Exactly. The only questions are when and will it be by outright default or inflation.

War.

Don't forget war.

Those are the only three options: Inflate, Implode or Invade.

DamianTV
09-30-2013, 08:09 PM
I'd blame the very same people responsible for hijacking our financial system. They're also the same people responsible for most of the wars of the 20th century. The rest is just a Dog and Pony show designed to distract the masses from those who are truly responsible.

Occam's Banana
09-30-2013, 09:32 PM
Those are the only three options: Inflate, Implode or Invade.

http://www.insiderquarterly.com/assets/_files/cached/img/294x133/nov_11/ii__1322217290_39-Spinning-plates.gif

Dr.3D
09-30-2013, 09:37 PM
"If the government shuts down, ,,"

Blame?

/dancininthestreet

Shut it Down

And then don't let it get back up.

If only somebody can find a way to get it pinned to the mat.

FindLiberty
10-01-2013, 07:14 AM
If only somebody can find a way to get it pinned to the mat.
Try chaining it down with the US Constitution...

angelatc
10-01-2013, 07:44 AM
An online poll at politico. Surely that is scientifically accurate.

Didn't parts of the government "shut down" earlier this year and nobody but a few federal leeches noticed?

Although my brother, who is is an Obama liberal who works as a congressional staffer, was bitching to me about having to turn down angry constituents for White House tours. I haven't laughed so hard in my life.

Obama shut the White House tours down, and wouldn't even allow them to reopen with private funding.

10-01-2013, 07:45 AM
I didn't want the GOP blamed. But since that ship sailed and they are, I like the shutdown now. Bring it on, don't raise the debt ceiling, do it right.