PDA

View Full Version : "Bum hunts" on the rise

green73
09-30-2013, 07:50 AM
(CBSNews.com) - In 2006, 60 Minutes reported on a perverse national trend referred to as "bum hunting," in which packs of teenagers stalk, attack, even shoot homeless people. Seven years later, that trend is still on the rise.

In the original story, correspondent Ed Bradley and producer Graham Messick reported that since 1999, there had been 500 attacks against homeless people, resulting in 180 deaths.

That number has since doubled. In 2010, the National Coalition for the Homeless reported there had been over a thousand acts of violence and more than 300 deaths.

The perpetrators are young and the attacks are gruesome. CBS reported last week in New Jersey that three teens ages 13-14 followed a homeless man and then punched him in the head in what detectives believe was a game of "knockout." Authorities found the man dead after his head was wedged between two iron fence posts.

Another incident occurred in Texas in April 2012, during which a homeless man was attacked and shot to death by four teens ages 16-18. After shooting the man, the teens robbed him for all he had: a single torn dollar.

Messick said he couldn't believe that the trend he reported on seven years ago is still so prevalent.

"It's pretty obvious to me that there are two problems," he said. "One, we're abandoning people in need to the streets and two, many adolescents in our culture still don't know right from wrong or understand how to resist peer pressure."

One of the adolescents Messick is referring to is Jeffrey Spurgeon who was interviewed in the 2006 segment. Spurgeon and his three friends, ages 14-18, attacked homeless man Michael Roberts three separate times--the third time they beat him to death after lodging a nail through a stick. When Bradley asked him why he did it, Spurgeon said it was fun.

"I don't know, just exciting, I guess, entertainment," Spurgeon said. He was later sentenced to 35 years in prison.

cont
http://www.wtsp.com/news/national/article/337732/81/Shocking-bum-hunts-on-the-rise

Antischism
09-30-2013, 07:58 AM
Oh God, why did I click on the comments section? I should know better by now.

Anyway, this reminds me of those "Bum Fights" DVD's that were marketed and sold years ago and became wildly popular.

green73
09-30-2013, 08:04 AM

Anyway, this reminds me of those "Bum Fights" DVD's that were marketed and sold years ago and became wildly popular.

Fta

As Bradley and Messick reported, police investigations linked some of these attacks to a DVD series called "Bumfights," a show in which homeless people perform degrading stunts in exchange for a few dollars and a lot of alcohol. Even Sturgeon admitted to watching the show hundreds of times and told Bradley he was trying to imitate it.

FloralScent
09-30-2013, 08:08 AM

I didn't see a problem. Are you pissed because they're correctly blaming it on youfs?

Antischism
09-30-2013, 08:17 AM
I didn't see a problem. Are you pissed because they're correctly blaming it on youfs?

Of course you didn't.

"And to be quite honest 99.9% of the time the perps are African American."
"Can we get them to do illegal alien hunts?"
"Not "teenagers." Overwhelmingly black American teenagers."

tod evans
09-30-2013, 08:28 AM
"And to be quite honest 99.9% of the time the perps are African American."
"Not "teenagers." Overwhelmingly black American teenagers."

Why is this an issue if it's honest?

fisharmor
09-30-2013, 08:33 AM
Aren't they a little late for blaming popular entertainment?

http://basementrejects.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/a-clockwork-orange-bum.jpg

tod evans
09-30-2013, 08:35 AM
A clockwork orange....

Antischism
09-30-2013, 08:38 AM
Why is this an issue if it's honest?

Can you link me to the study that shows 99.9% of African Americans are responsible for attacking the homeless?
Failing that, can you link me to the study that shows "overwhelmingly" that African Americans are responsible for attacking the homeless?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_KI9gcT8Agi4/TNgc_4y5hxI/AAAAAAAAAoQ/gHqbv4hGAIs/s1600/show+me+the+receipts.gif

Please. You know why those types of comments are posted. The article didn't even have anything to do with race.

tod evans
09-30-2013, 08:42 AM
Can you link me to the study that shows 99.9% of African Americans are responsible for attacking the homeless?
Failing that, can you link me to the study that shows "overwhelmingly" that African Americans are responsible for attacking the homeless?
Please. You know why those types of comments are posted. The article didn't even have anything to do with race.

I read the OP, then questioned you bringing race into the equation.

I don't give a shit one way or another, just found it odd.

Are you saying the OP is untruthful?

If you are then you get off your ass and dispute it.

Antischism
09-30-2013, 08:49 AM
I read the OP, then questioned you bringing race into the equation.

I don't give a shit one way or another, just found it odd.

Are you saying the OP is untruthful?

If you are then you get off your ass and dispute it.

What the hell are you talking about? Did you even read my first post?

Someone wrote that they saw absolutely nothing wrong with the comments that were left by people on the article, so I quoted a couple of the ones that I found to be absurd. Furthermore, those three comments were the only ones up at the time along with two others.

tod evans
09-30-2013, 09:02 AM
So your post here was disputing comments made on another site?

Still doesn't answer why you brought the race issue here unless you're pushing an agenda.

The OP had no mention of race....Maybe I'm supposed to take FS's misspelling of "youths" to be the springboard?

Anyway you made statements here and then challenge me to disprove your statements...

Are you trying to cause dissention or do you just want to bicker?

oyarde
09-30-2013, 11:24 AM
cont
http://www.wtsp.com/news/national/article/337732/81/Shocking-bum-hunts-on-the-rise

Do not let them get me Green , everyone dresses better than I .