PDA

View Full Version : CRITICAL—How to get a Huge Media Day BEFORE the Tea Party

Cardinal Red
11-28-2007, 04:37 PM
OK, I should confess I am a former journalist— and a former PR guy—and so I feel like I have a pretty good sense of how to get media attention for my client—And right now, my only client is Ron Paul :)

And I share Trevor Lyman’s feeling that it is critical that we announce a big fundraising success BEFORE December 16— He has said that it would be critical to announce that we had hit our quarterly goal of $12 million before that date. Doing that gets us two media hits – First the media starts talking about how great our fundraising is—and then, while they are having that conversation and pontificating about what it all means, BAM – we hit them with a huge money bomb and they are absolutely blown away. Getting the media talking about our fundraising *before* the money bomb can also build the size of the money bomb.

Unfortunately, while everyone’s efforts to get us to $12 million before December 16 are incredibly admirable (and we should not give up on them!) it looks like hitting that number is going to be pretty unlikely (We will need to raise $~2.3 Million in 16 days at a time during which a lot of us are saving for the big day).

However, there is a big number that we could trumpet that we absolutely CAN and SHOULD hit—and we can get the same media effect as if we hit the $12 Million number. Maybe even more. But the official campaign and the grassroots have to act to seize the moment.

Rudy Giuliani was the top Republican fundraiser last quarter. He raised $10.5 Million in Primary Dollars and $11 Million Overall. We figure to go over $10 Million with Rudy’s Reading list and should be able to hit $10.5 million and possibly $11 Million before the Tea Party.

This gives us our opportunity. As soon as we pass $10.5 Million (or Maybe $11 Million if we want to be really conservative), we need to put out a press release saying that our fundraising for the quarter has now surpassed the primary fundraising of every Republican campaign from the previous quarter. We can also say that we have doubled our own campaign’s fundraising from the previous quarter (which was ~5.25 million). This will really get the media’s attention—and it will force them to give the campaign more respect and credit for its unbelievable momentum. Then, the money bomb will send them into a feeding frenzy.

I would love to communicate this to the campaign, but I have only exchanged a couple of brief emails with folks there, and none with anyone from the press office. But if someone on these boards knows folks on the campaign and thinks this is a good idea LET THEM KNOW— so we can act—But even if the campaign doesn’t act, we can—once we hit that number, the RP grassroots sites can start talking about it (It can be on RP Forums, Daily Paul, etc.) Journalists are beginning to read these forums so perhaps from there it will hit the mainstream media even if the campaign doesn’t act.

Regardless, we need to be ready to get out our message when we hit that number. The reality is, when it comes to Republican fundraising we ARE the first tier—and everyone else is second tier. For those who are interested in the full story our current fundraising dominance, you may also want to check out my previous post below on the subject.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=41034&highlight=cardinal+red

Edward
11-28-2007, 04:48 PM
This gives us our opportunity. As soon as we pass $10.5 Million (or Maybe $11 Million if we want to be really conservative), we need to put out a press release saying that our fundraising for the quarter has now surpassed the primary fundraising of every Republican campaign from the previous quarter. We can also say that we have doubled our own campaign’s fundraising from the previous quarter (which was ~5.25 million). This will really get the media’s attention—and it will force them to give the campaign more respect and credit for its unbelievable momentum. Then, the money bomb will send them into a feeding frenzy.Yep, yep, yep. As I've mentioned previously, prepare a list of the tip lines (phone, fax, e-mail) from your local networks and contact them. I did this on November 5th and was contacted by a reported seeking to interview Paul supporters for a piece on the 11 PM news.

McDermit
11-28-2007, 05:18 PM
HQ has a press office? :p

bbachtung
11-28-2007, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the insider tips, Cardinal Red.

These are great ideas for starting the news cycle early re: the Tea Party.