PDA

View Full Version : Matchstick-Sized Sensor Can Record Your Private Chats Outdoors

DamianTV
09-28-2013, 05:18 PM
http://tech.slashdot.org/story/13/09/28/2047256/matchstick-sized-sensor-can-record-your-private-chats-outdoors

"A sensor previously used for military operations can now be tuned to secretly locate and record any single conversation on a busy street. [A] Dutch acoustics firm, Microflown Technologies, has developed a matchstick-sized sensor that can pinpoint and record a target's conversations from a distance. Known as an acoustic vector sensor, Microflown's sensor measures the movement of air, disturbed by sound waves, to almost instantly locate where a sound originated. It can then identify the noise and, if required, transmit it live to waiting ears. Security technologist Bruce Schneier says this new capability is unwelcome – particularly given the recent claims about the NSA's success at tapping into our private lives. 'It's not just this one technology that's the problem,' Schneier says. 'It's the mic plus the drones, plus the signal processing, plus voice recognition.'"

Anti Federalist
09-28-2013, 05:30 PM
More future fail

tod evans
09-28-2013, 05:34 PM
This is what the "public" is aware of..

Anti Federalist
09-28-2013, 05:35 PM
This is what the "public" is aware of..

A sensor previously used for military operations

War on Us.

tod evans
09-28-2013, 05:38 PM
A sensor previously used for military operations

What technology does the military have now?

[edit]

What does this fine technology set the taxpayer back?

Brian4Liberty
09-28-2013, 06:26 PM
More future fail

We have created Orwell's Big Brother of 1984. It just took a bit longer than anticipated.

Thor
09-28-2013, 06:36 PM
So weird... while I did not know the exact details of implementation, I have known for a good 20-30 years this type of future was inevitable... Always hoping others would see the writing on the wall as well, but most missed it... Sigh....

presence
09-28-2013, 06:54 PM
We have created Orwell's Big Brother of 1984. It just took a bit longer than anticipated.

Don't kid yourself its been going on for quite some time.

Sola_Fide
09-28-2013, 07:13 PM
This is all just preparation for when the controls start to really begin.

DamianTV
09-28-2013, 07:28 PM
What technology does the military have now?

[edit]

What does this fine technology set the taxpayer back?

In what manner do you mean? Taxation or by way of Fines or Imprisonment? There are numerous different ways in which this technology can be used to harm an individual.

tod evans
09-28-2013, 07:31 PM
In what manner do you mean? Taxation or by way of Fines or Imprisonment? There are numerous different ways in which this technology can be used to harm an individual.

I meant cost of the devices.

The cost socially isn't really measurable unless one were to try and tally profits of the "Just-Us" department and assign a percentage to this particular device..

Anti Federalist
09-28-2013, 09:37 PM
So weird... while I did not know the exact details of implementation, I have known for a good 20-30 years this type of future was inevitable... Always hoping others would see the writing on the wall as well, but most missed it... Sigh....

It's not that they missed it.

They want it.

Thor
09-28-2013, 09:57 PM
It's not that they missed it.

They want it.

Well, a certain "they" want it... but most of the other "they" missed it...

idiom
09-29-2013, 01:22 AM
well. This tech can be used against them too.

At some point we are going to stop respecting the privacy of our overlords.

tangent4ronpaul
09-29-2013, 01:46 AM
http://www.microflown-avisa.com/acoustic-vector-sensors/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldir1vtNMnQ

-t