PDA

View Full Version : Debunking the Nothing To Fear Nothing To Hide Argument

pathtofreedom
09-28-2013, 12:36 AM
Many will claim that if you do nothing wrong then it doesn't matter what the government does in terms or privacy violation but this is false for several reasons.

If there is nothing to fear and nothing to hide then why is the government hiding spy programs and afraid of people of finding out about them?
If there is nothing to fear or hide then why go after people's information in the first place? If most people have nothing to worry about then you need not have surveillance.
Wanting privacy is not the same thing as having something to hide or being criminal. One can desire privacy without being criminal. Privacy is not criminality repeat till understood.
If there is nothing to fear and nothing to hide then why have curtains at all or why have door on your bathroom?
If there is nothing to fear and nothing to hide the can I have your bank account numbers, Pin numbers, SS, or credit card numbers?
Also there are thousands of laws one can be persecuted for something they didn't know even exists. Ignorance of the law is no excuse for violation. The laws themselves are unjust and for this reason one needs a venue to break said laws and if one is incapable of breaking a law then a law might never be repealed.
If the activity you do is deemed "suspicious" then one can be arrested.
The powers of the NSA can be used to suppress protests.
The NSA and other breaches of privacy is fundamentally a step towards an omnipotent government which is definitely something to fear and hide from.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
09-28-2013, 01:06 AM
Nice bullet points. Thanks for posting.

DamianTV
09-28-2013, 02:20 AM
I sure as hell dont claim nothing to hide means nothing to fear. It is Propoganda, plain and simple.

When I was working for the TV station, they didnt pay as well as I would have liked. So I was applying for other jobs at the time. One of the times I applied, one of the employees there saw me and turned me in to my boss. They told me if I wanted another job, they should just fire me on the spot. I dont know how my position there survived that incident.

There is nothing immoral or illegal about applying for a job. Yet, that kind of information jeopardized my wellbeing.

Information is a tool. It is how that tool is used which determines if it is good or evil. If the NSA had this big spying project to identify only Jewish Americans, the public would be in an uproar. But the people who die at the hands of an oppressive regime arent going to be the Jews this time, they are going to be anyone who opposes the Status Quo. The NSA does what it does specifically to identify people like us.

When the People of the US are finally sent to a FEMA camp, it is too late.

Anti Federalist
09-28-2013, 03:42 PM
The premise is false to begin with.

You ARE doing something wrong, and it's only a matter of time until the surveillance state sees you.

VIDEODROME
09-28-2013, 03:56 PM
I sure as hell dont claim nothing to hide means nothing to fear. It is Propoganda, plain and simple.

When I was working for the TV station, they didnt pay as well as I would have liked. So I was applying for other jobs at the time. One of the times I applied, one of the employees there saw me and turned me in to my boss. They told me if I wanted another job, they should just fire me on the spot. I dont know how my position there survived that incident.

I can relate. I'm a former Master Control Room operator and News Van driver. TV as an industry can be really lame with the addition of big Egos and dumbass reporters.

As for the topic, you don't really have to be doing something wrong. They just have to find a reason to think you'r doing something wrong. Maybe you make a lot of international calls at odd hours. Maybe you make a lot of cash deposits instead of checks.

Or what if your computer become part of a BotNet and is involved in a denial of service attack? They would be spying on what ever you do assuming your a computer hacker. They could drag you in, throw the book at you, and try to get you to plead to a lesser charge. Then you're a criminal with a record.

VoluntaryAmerican
09-28-2013, 04:24 PM
Snowden already debunked this. People who don't want to listen to him are idiots.

DamianTV
09-28-2013, 05:05 PM
I can relate. I'm a former Master Control Room operator and News Van driver. TV as an industry can be really lame with the addition of big Egos and dumbass reporters.

As for the topic, you don't really have to be doing something wrong. They just have to find a reason to think you'r doing something wrong. Maybe you make a lot of international calls at odd hours. Maybe you make a lot of cash deposits instead of checks.

Or what if your computer become part of a BotNet and is involved in a denial of service attack? They would be spying on what ever you do assuming your a computer hacker. They could drag you in, throw the book at you, and try to get you to plead to a lesser charge. Then you're a criminal with a record.

Lots of directions we can go with that! Reporters Egos are so huge that they cut off the blood supply to their brains and hinder the ability to Think. We dont even need to give examples of their sheer stupidity.

Right and Wrong are very Subjective Terms. Gas Meter at the Gas Station not working properly? It depends on which way it is malfunctioning and which side you are on as to whether it is Good or Bad. If a Customer gets more gas than they paid for, Good for the Customer but Bad for the Owner. Go the other way and CUstomer gets less gas than they pay for its Bad for the Customer and Good for the Owner. At the TV Station, I was quite an asset even though they treated me like shit. Im pretty sure thats why they didnt fire me. I could do things that other people could have learned to do but did not want to learn. Knowing those technical tricks for me was fun and made me more of an asset. But greed always gets the best of most businesses. They want their cake and to eat it too. So for me, getting more money is Good and since they'd lose an asset, that would be Bad. For a New Employer, acquiring my skillset would have been Good. So much of it depends on the perspective, thus making Good and Bad Subjective. Very few ever give any consideration to anyone else. We want good and leaving was bad so we'll threaten with loss of job. Probably an Empty Threat, but none the less, a Threat all the same. Bad is typically responded to with Threats of some form of Punishment, while Good is incentivized by offers of Money, Time, Insurance, or other Benefits.

Computers and BotNets. Too much effort but I wouldnt put it past them to do so. Its easier to Plant Evidence and use that to create a Criminal. Cops today can charge pretty much anyone with anything. If they are smart, it sticks well enough that it survives both Plea Bargains and the Court Room. If they are dumb, the innocent person can go free. It doesnt mean that they wont immediately try again with some new Falsified Evidence. The bigger the threat you are, or usually the more money they can make off of you, the harder they try to make it stick. Sometimes it is financially in their best interest to not imprison a person. These types of people typically have jobs that enable the Status Quo. Senators, Lobbyists, Politicians, TV Reporters. Oh yeah, Master Control Operators too.

When the Law does not exist to protect the People from Abuses and is instead use to Enforce Obedience and Profits, you have the Just-Us System.

tod evans
09-28-2013, 05:22 PM
When the Law does not exist to protect the People from Abuses and is instead use to Enforce Obedience and Profits, you have the Just-Us System.

Nice! :D

VIDEODROME
09-28-2013, 05:28 PM
Should clarify the BotNet thing. I meant if a regular criminal used your computer and you were completely unaware. Then an attack is traced to your IP address.

With so much spying tech, it would be tempting to build the case with the assumption You are a hacker and they'll try to prosecute you.

Brian4Liberty
09-28-2013, 06:31 PM
The premise is false to begin with.

You ARE doing something wrong, and it's only a matter of time until the surveillance state sees takes an interest in you.

FTFY. The all-seeing eye is all-seeing.

VIDEODROME
09-28-2013, 06:44 PM
You could be lurking around and stalking a shop waiting to see when they get Lemon Donuts. They'll investigate you thinking Lemon Donuts must be a code word for some illicit drug or contraband.