PDA

View Full Version : Eric Cartman becomes the new Edward Snowden on ‘South Park’

tangent4ronpaul
09-27-2013, 11:18 PM
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/09/27/eric-cartman-becomes-the-new-edward-snowden-on-south-park/

-t

Paulbot99
09-27-2013, 11:24 PM
I watched the episode. I am a South Park fan, but I found the episode tiresome. They just didn't rip into the NSA as much as I expected and the whole "Butters worshiping the government" subplot could have been resolved better.

TheGrinch
09-27-2013, 11:54 PM
I watched the episode. I am a South Park fan, but I found the episode tiresome. They just didn't rip into the NSA as much as I expected and the whole "Butters worshiping the government" subplot could have been resolved better.

South Park doesn't usually take sides on a contreversial issue and act like they have all the answers.

What they do is expose the hypocrisy of both sides in an overly-satirical way. On the privacy side, they poke fun at people being so concerned about privacy, yet many post so much of their private life publicly... On the pro-government side, they poke fun at them having so much trust in the entity as if it were actually God that can absolve them of their sins (adding to that that they choose the DMV, the epitomy of government ineptitude)

The show definitely has political undertones, and Trey and Matt definitely seem to lean libertarian, but at the end of the day those are just jumping off points for how they can create a humorous narrative. It contains social commentary, but that is obviously not the primary goal of the show.

Philhelm
09-28-2013, 12:50 AM
While I agree with TheGrinch in that South Park is merely a cartoon for entertainment, I thought that the TSA episode was handled much better than the NSA episode. If anything it seemed as though they were making fun of Snowden (particularly in the end when Cartman is crying and says, "Waaah, nobody cares and now I have to live in Russia...waaah!). I don't recall seeing anything that would be construed as pro-Snowden