PDA

View Full Version : Ted Cruz Votes To Move Forward Bill He Fake-Filibustered For 21 Hours

RonPaulFanInGA
09-26-2013, 10:28 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/25/politics/shutdown-showdown/index.html

Passed 100-0.

AuH20
09-26-2013, 10:30 AM
CNN peddles garbage, huh?

sluggo
09-26-2013, 10:34 AM
I thought the vote is tomorrow?

VBRonPaulFan
09-26-2013, 10:36 AM
I thought the vote is tomorrow?

It is. The vote talked about in the OP was the vote to continue debate. Cruz said the day before he would vote to allow debate to continue. Whomever wrote that article isn't paying very much attention and obviously couldn't be bothered to spend any time to do any research.

CaptLouAlbano
09-26-2013, 10:41 AM
It is. The vote talked about in the OP was the vote to continue debate. Cruz said the day before he would vote to allow debate to continue. Whomever wrote that article isn't paying very much attention and obviously couldn't be bothered to spend any time to do any research.

Horrible reporting. Hell, if I recall, Cruz spoke on the votes within the last 30 mins or so of the filibuster.

GregSarnowski
09-26-2013, 10:42 AM

Or they have a partisan agenda and intend to use ignorance as an excuse if/when they are called on it.

Brett85
09-26-2013, 10:50 AM
Does the actual closure vote come before Harry Reid's amendment is voted on?

CaptLouAlbano
09-26-2013, 10:54 AM
Does the actual closure vote come before Harry Reid's amendment is voted on?

If cloture passes, then Reid will introduce the amendment and it is the only one that will be introduced. It will restore funding for Obamacare and will be the only amendment offered. 51 votes will pass the amendment. That is my understanding of it all based on what I have read and from what Cruz said yesterday.

Brett85
09-26-2013, 10:56 AM
If cloture passes, then Reid will introduce the amendment and it is the only one that will be introduced. It will restore funding for Obamacare and will be the only amendment offered. 51 votes will pass the amendment. That is my understanding of it all based on what I have read and from what Cruz said yesterday.

Why can't Reid introduce the amendment and get a vote on it before the closure vote? I thought that's how it usually works.

CaptLouAlbano
09-26-2013, 10:58 AM
Why can't Reid introduce the amendment and get a vote on it before the closure vote? I thought that's how it usually works.

I think it is because it is a House bill maybe? I think Senate rules for that mean it needs 60 votes. Not entirely sure, but from my understanding, if they vote No on cloture, then it needs 60 to pass or maybe he doesn't get to put the amendment in. Either way its the 41 votes against cloture that are needed.

VBRonPaulFan
09-26-2013, 11:00 AM
Or they have a partisan agenda and intend to use ignorance as an excuse if/when they are called on it.

I tend to think that currently, they are just confused. That has been the main theme with everyone i've talked to about the vote yesterday. Everyone assumed/was told it was the cloture vote incorrectly.

AuH20
09-26-2013, 11:00 AM
I think it is because it is a House bill maybe? I think Senate rules for that mean it needs 60 votes. Not entirely sure, but from my understanding, if they vote No on cloture, then it needs 60 to pass or maybe he doesn't get to put the amendment in. Either way its the 41 votes against cloture that are needed.

Reid needs 60.

CaptLouAlbano
09-26-2013, 11:06 AM
Reid needs 60.

Unless the pass cloture correct? Then he needs 51

jj-
09-26-2013, 11:18 AM
An article like this could only be written by a moron from CNN. First of all, Cruz isn't opposed to the bill, he is in favor of the bill as written. He's opposed to opening the amendment process with a 50-vote threshold to change the bill. So he wants to filibuster the motion to end debate as long as the other side doesn't agree to have a 60-vote threshold for amendments. Why are people on this forum posting crap articles from idiots?

AuH20
09-26-2013, 11:21 AM
Unless the pass cloture correct? Then he needs 51

Yes, which could be simply accomplished with a democrat majority. Cruz wants the 60 vote threshold for obvious reasons.

cajuncocoa
09-26-2013, 11:37 AM
I don't like Ted Cruz and I've made it pretty clear that he would not have my vote should he emerge as the GOP nominee.

BUT, I don't understand all the hate for what he attempted yesterday. I would have thought people here would like to dismantle Obummacare by any means necessary. Sure, it would have been better, politically for Rand, if Rand had been the one to do this himself...but he didn't; Cruz did.

Kudos to Cruz for getting this right. Even if it doesn't work, let it not be said that we did nothing.

torchbearer
09-26-2013, 11:47 AM
I don't like Ted Cruz and I've made it pretty clear that he would not have my vote should he emerge as the GOP nominee.

BUT, I don't understand all the hate for what he attempted yesterday. I would have thought people here would like to dismantle Obummacare by any means necessary. Sure, it would have been better, politically for Rand, if Rand had been the one to do this himself...but he didn't; Cruz did.

Kudos to Cruz for getting this right. Even if it doesn't work, let it not be said that we did nothing.

it was never intended to work. there was no way it could work.
that is why its grandstanding. political theater. red meat for the rubes-
the whole idea of speaking for a long time about something that in the end, didn't delay any votes, it didn't change any senator's minds, it didn't get the president off the golf course to make a statement.
all it did was eat up 21 hours of some people's time.
but it was a good media day for Cruz, especially as all the headlines were talking about a filibuster that wasn't happening against a bill that will ultimately be decided by the democrats in the senate.

ClydeCoulter
09-26-2013, 11:49 AM
Yes, which could be simply accomplished with a democrat majority. Cruz wants the 60 vote threshold for obvious reasons.

Yes. And he wants any republican that votes for cloture (Fri?) to be on record, IF an agreement isn't made for either a 60 vote minimum for amendments or for Reid to leave amendments out it. He wants to pass the House version of the bill.

rich34
09-26-2013, 12:10 PM
Cruz is an opportunistic SNAKE!! He saw what Rand's "real" filibuster did for him and now wants his fake filibuster to do the same for him while bringing Rand down in the polls at the same time. He's running as W did in 2000. This man is going to divide and ultimately kill the liberty movement. And not only that, but hand the nomination to another liberal rhino... The narrative is being laid for Rand's demise in the polls and whether or not support is truly shifted from Rand to Cruz the msm will make it happen just like they did Santorum in 2008 lifting him from single digits in Iowa polls to 26 percent in a mere two weeks time. This is BS, and many here seem all happy and fine with it, excuse my French please but fuck that..

CaptLouAlbano
09-26-2013, 12:13 PM
it was never intended to work. there was no way it could work.
that is why its grandstanding. political theater. red meat for the rubes-
the whole idea of speaking for a long time about something that in the end, didn't delay any votes, it didn't change any senator's minds, it didn't get the president off the golf course to make a statement.
all it did was eat up 21 hours of some people's time.
but it was a good media day for Cruz, especially as all the headlines were talking about a filibuster that wasn't happening against a bill that will ultimately be decided by the democrats in the senate.

If you were in the Senate would you vote for cloture? If "no", then what would you have done to try and sway the opinion of the 46 GOP Senators to vote the same way?

torchbearer
09-26-2013, 04:53 PM
If you were in the Senate would you vote for cloture? If "no", then what would you have done to try and sway the opinion of the 46 GOP Senators to vote the same way?

talk with them would be the appropriate way to deal with people. on a personal/private level.
they are more likely to 'deal', if you aren't putting them out in front of everyone.

ClydeCoulter
09-26-2013, 05:09 PM
talk with them would be the appropriate way to deal with people. on a personal/private level.
they are more likely to 'deal', if you aren't putting them out in front of everyone.

Enough talk! Time to take it to the light.

Brian4Liberty
09-26-2013, 05:10 PM
A Democrat told me today that Cruz made a fool out of himself and went ahead and voted for the bill he wanted to stop. Must have been the MSNBC talking point. Ignorance is bliss.

Rudeman
09-26-2013, 05:14 PM
I don't know why people have so much vitriol against Cruz. I can get not supporting him or not liking his foreign policy, but the guy has been a good ally to Rand, has praised Rand numerous times (even during his filibuster stating how he'll forever be grateful to Rand) etc. You would think the guy was like Pelosi or something with the amount of hate some people throw at him.

ClydeCoulter
09-26-2013, 05:15 PM
A Democrat told me today that Cruz made a fool out of himself and went ahead and voted for the bill he wanted to stop. Must have been the MSNBC talking point. Ignorance is bliss.

Yep, you can see the foolishness that the GOP is trying to pass on the people as representation and the lies about what Cruz is doing here (along with Ted's response and arguments against Corker) at 11:26

1836er
09-26-2013, 05:42 PM
This is not that complicated if you think it through.

If Cruz and Lee do not muster 41 or more votes tomorrow against cloture Harry Reid gets to unilaterally add his amendment that funds Obamacare. Then, instead of having to win 60 (all the Dems plus some Reps) votes to pass his bill as would be the case if it were being voted on now, he only will need a simple majority to pass the bill funding Obamacare. That will provide political cover enabling all the Republicans (including to squishy establishment ones who don't really want to defund it) to vote "against" the bill funding Obamacare all the while knowing full well Reid and the Democrats will get what they want anyway because they are in the majority and will get to 51 votes just with Democrats. What Cruz wants to do is force the Republicans to actually vote "no" on the vote that matters; the vote to close debate (cloture) which will move the threshhold needed to fund Obamacare from 60 to only 51 out of 100.

This isn't actually a fight mainly against the Democrats... this is a fight against the establishment of the Republican Party.

But to continue... if somehow Cruz and Lee were able to get 41 or more Republicans to vote with them AGAINST cloture tomorrow... then Harry Reid would be faced the the dilemma of having to either hold no vote at all and take the blame for the shutdown... or to allow for a vote on the bill with the language defunding Obamacare which the Democrats would then vote against thus taking the blame (the Democrats) for the shutdown. Therefore, Harry Reid would then be in a position where these would be his two choices: defund Obamacare or vote for a government shutdown.

Most importantly, however, if Cruz and Lee were to get 41 votes tomorrow against Cloture, it would be a huge blow to the power and prestige of the worthless GOP leadership in the Senate as they would then have to actually do what they told their constituents they would (but many of them don't want to do because they are liars and statists); vote to defund Obamacare for real with no political escape clauses to absolve themselves of the blame for turning their backs on their constituents and their professed limited government principles. And any of them who did vote for Obamacare wouldn't survive the conservative backlash going forward for being traitors to the Republican voters (think McConnell in KY trying to fend off his tea party challenger after voting to fund Obamacare). To a certain extent this effort is about weakening and perhaps even purging the GOP of the worst of its establishment, statist-types.