PDA

View Full Version : Feds steal $35,000 from small grocer's bank account despite admitting no crime committed

jct74
09-25-2013, 01:24 PM
Feds Steal $35K From Small Grocer's Bank Account Despite Finding "No Violations" To Justify the Grab

J.D. Tuccille | Sep. 25, 2013 1:29 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwN-uFCtXPs

Schott's Market, in Fraser, Michigan, was robbed in January of this year. Unfortunately for Terry Dehko and his daughter, Sandy, who own the place, the thieves are government agents in the emply of the Internal Revenue Service. The IRS doesn't even allege that the Dehkos committed a crime to justify cleaning out their bamk account using civil asset forfeiture—they even sent the Dehknos a letter clarifying that “no violations [of banking laws] were identified.” So, why the mugging? The feds just don't like the way the grocers have been depositing money in their bank account. Really.

According to the Institute for Justice, which represents the Dehkos, the problem is that the Dehkos run a cash-heavy business, and don't like to keep lots of lucre on hand. So they make frequent deposits.

Like most grocery store owners, Terry and Sandy receive cash every day from their customers. Their commonsense practice has always been to avoid letting too much cash accumulate in their store. Moreover, their insurance policy specifically limits coverage for theft or other loss of cash to $10,000—a common provision for small-business policies.

Over the past several years, however, the government has been collecting vast amounts of private information about Americans, including entrepreneurs like Terry and Sandy that deal in cash. In 2001, the Patriot Act amended federal law to make it easier for the government to seize money and other private property through civil forfeiture. Federal law requires banks to report cash transactions above $10,000, and it is illegal to “structure” cash deposits for the purpose of avoiding this requirement.

So you have to report deposits of over $10,000, but keeping deposits under $10,000 is considered suspicious, even if your insurance company insists on the practice. Get it?

Under the circumstances, IRS agents dropped by for a friendly chat in 2010, and then again in 2012. After the second visit, the feds sent the Dehkos a letter saying that “no violations [of banking laws] were identified.”

And then, nine months later, the IRS emptied the Dehkos' bank acount of $35,000 without warning.

read more:
http://reason.com/blog/2013/09/25/feds-steal-35k-from-small-grocers-bank-a

Uriel999
09-25-2013, 01:31 PM
Because fuck you! That's why!

amy31416
09-25-2013, 01:44 PM
Jesus. Safer in a mattress.

Oh--and Reason ought to hire a spellchecker, or fire the one who checked this one.

ZENemy
09-25-2013, 01:44 PM
Viable solutions are impossible from within the system, because the system is the problem.

Under the circumstances, IRS agents dropped by for a friendly chat in 2010, and then again in 2012. After the second visit, the feds sent the Dehkos a letter saying that “no violations [of banking laws] were identified.”

And then, nine months later, the IRS emptied the Dehkos' bank acount of $35,000 without warning.

EBounding
09-25-2013, 01:53 PM
But I don't have a small business so I don't have to worry about this.

Elias Graves
09-25-2013, 02:31 PM
:lol: If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear, right?

phill4paul
09-25-2013, 03:34 PM
Shit like this ends when federal agents begin to pay a high price for the thefts they commit. There is a higher justice than the laws written by those that write the laws for their own benefit.
This family is justified in whatever actions they choose against the agents involved. Including actions against the agents family as the agents actions affected their own family.
I'll be glad to sit in trail for any action they take. And nullify.

09-25-2013, 03:47 PM

They can do the same thing to an individual. They call it structuring.

Cleaner44
09-25-2013, 04:32 PM
Brought to you by... THE FREEST NATION IN THE WORLD!!!

satchelmcqueen
09-25-2013, 05:20 PM
fucking hell!~!

TruckinMike
09-25-2013, 05:23 PM
Shit like this ends when federal agents begin to pay a high price for the thefts they commit. There is a higher justice than the laws written by those that write the laws for their own benefit.
This family is justified in whatever actions they choose against the agents involved. Including actions against the agents family as the agents actions affected their own family.
I'll be glad to sit in trail for any action they take. And nullify.They are just warming us up. It reminds me Santa Ana wiping out all 212 at the Alamo, then another 300 + at Goliad.

Instead of us shouting "remember the Alamo, remember Goliad" we'll all be shouting remember Schotts Market, remember old man Isadore(The 107 yr old)!!!! ...as we we fire bomb their offices...:D

The Bavarian
09-25-2013, 05:39 PM
This is just plain sickening.

Henry Rogue
09-25-2013, 06:10 PM
Cash evil, debt good. Mattress evil, bank good. Work evil, welfare good. Free Market evil, police state good.

Anti Federalist
09-25-2013, 08:54 PM

Hoarding.

Prohibited.

Documented by in home surveillance.

You are reported.

oyarde
09-25-2013, 11:04 PM

Oh--and Reason ought to hire a spellchecker, or fire the one who checked this one.

It is not and will not be safe to keep that much in any bank.No person should be doing this .These are strange times and they will get stranger.

Mani
09-25-2013, 11:42 PM
People in communist countries have an easier time with their money than this.

The government will at least charge you with something first. LOL. Here in AmeriKa it's straight out theft, just plain old government theft. They don't even try to hide it anymore. No crazy IRS or Tax laws to swindle you, just outright....YA, THIS IS OURS NOW. Good luck spending money on lawyers to get it back.

I wonder if they just do this until they collect several million/billion dollars and then play with the money to get interest and then the interest becomes a secondary revenue. And slowly over the years people get their money back (or some don't), they just keep randomly grabbing from other accounts to keep the game going. They have billions of play money to keep making money on interest or whatever else they need.

heavenlyboy34
09-25-2013, 11:43 PM
Hey, free country. :rolleyes: That constitution will kick in any day now... /sarc

Mani
09-25-2013, 11:51 PM
The irony is, EVEN in COMMUNIST countries, where people are worried about the government taking their money....The citizens of those countries, just invest their money OUTSIDE the country and it's no longer a problem.

But EVEN in AMERIKA, that doesn't work, because Amerika taxes you GLOBALLY! Ever cent you have or any asset you have ANYWHERE in the world they need to know about it.

So in effect, your money is STILL safer as a citizen of a communist country, because they won't bother with your assets outside their border.

Philhelm
09-26-2013, 01:27 AM
Cash evil, debt good. Mattress evil, bank good. Work evil, welfare good. Free Market evil, police state good.

Good evil. Evil good.

S.Shorland
09-26-2013, 06:06 AM
They are just warming us up. It reminds me Santa Ana wiping out all 212 at the Alamo, then another 300 + at Goliad.

Instead of us shouting "remember the Alamo, remember Goliad" we'll all be shouting remember Schotts Market, remember old man Isadore(The 107 yr old)!!!! ...as we we fire bomb their offices...:D

THE SCHOTT HEARD AROUND THE WORLD!

Anti Federalist
09-26-2013, 06:20 AM
I'll be glad to sit in trail for any action they take. And nullify.

Calling Klamath to the thread, Klamath to Schott market thread.

donnay
09-26-2013, 07:12 AM
My country tis of thee...sweet land of liberty...

EBounding
09-26-2013, 07:44 AM
They can do the same thing to an individual. They call it structuring.

But I am a Good Citizen!

:p

HOLLYWOOD
09-26-2013, 09:41 AM
How's that U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights working out for you mundanes? Particularly, the 4th Amendment... It is gone!

When the dictators rule, to spy on anyone, for whatever reason they want, and declare whatever they want as a suspicious crime, without being charged for a crime. I still think of that phony GOP clown, Congressman Paul Ryan, The IRS can charge Americans of anything and seize anything, oh... and even your travel or freedom is jailed to within the American prison borders, even without charging you of a crime or having a court to defend yourself. If you owe... you're a prisoner. You're accused, then your assets seized without due process of rights, the more the middle classes get fucked just once, then they go broke having to take on the burden, challenging the racketeering government BORG to the corrupt 'JUST-US' system.

When you think about it, the U.S. government has become the most oppressive police state in the world. They are the ones enforcing the privileged of travel around the world today, your speech around the world(think of those either banned from entering the U.S. or extradited to the U.S. for what they have said/commented/opinion. So much for free speech too... in the land of the free, eh?

The biggest con artist game in the country is "They Hate US for our Freedoms". You are free to do, only what government tells you. That's not freedom, that's a dictatorship! Remember, Big Brother Borg is backed by the JUST-US that protects government against the proletariat and uses them solely as a revenue stream for their privileged stature, above the people, above morality, and above the laws.

Anti Federalist
09-26-2013, 09:22 PM
blimp