PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul Competes With Other 2016 Republican Hopefuls To Woo New York Donors

jct74
09-23-2013, 10:51 PM
Rand Paul Competes With Other 2016 Republican Hopefuls To Woo New York Donors

An RNC fundraiser brought the Republican Party’s most buzzed-about presidential prospects under one roof for an audition in front of elite donors. “They actually really like Rand.”

by McKay Coppins
September 24, 2013 at 12:24am EDT

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/2013-09/enhanced/webdr03/24/0/enhanced-buzz-8952-1379996524-17.jpg

Several of the GOP’s top potential presidential candidates gathered in the home of New York Jets owner Woody Johnson Monday night for a fundraiser that doubled as an early audition in front of the party’s elite money crowd.

The fundraiser for the Republican National Committee — co-hosted by Chairman Reince Preibus and Johnson — was headlined by a who’s-who of 2016 speculation, including New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, Rep. Paul Ryan, Sens. Rand Paul and Marco Rubio, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, and Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder.

It also featured a roomful of Republican establishment figures and wealthy donors eager to size up the field of would-be candidates.

“I’m just here to see who’s running and get information,” John Catsimatidis, a New York billionaire and failed mayoral candidate, told BuzzFeed of the headliners (none of whom have yet announced intentions to run for president). Former New York Governor George Pataki was less blunt in his description of the night’s purpose, saying it’s too early to obsess over the field: “I think the important thing is ideas at this point and not candidates.”

read more:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/mckaycoppins/rand-paul-competes-with-other-2016-republican-hopefuls-to-wo

TaftFan
09-23-2013, 10:52 PM
Good luck with that.

ObiRandKenobi
09-23-2013, 10:53 PM
gross.

specsaregood
09-23-2013, 11:14 PM
Ah, so this is what that foxnews morning host chick was talking about.

krugminator
09-23-2013, 11:17 PM
"Rep. Peter King, who has said he’s considering a presidential bid in part to combat libertarian creep within the GOP, merrily told BuzzFeed, “We’re all just one big happy family” — before declaring he wouldn’t donate a penny to Paul’s campaign."

Peter King's anger brings me happiness.

jtstellar
09-23-2013, 11:22 PM
Paul’s platform, until recently dismissed as a fringe joke by most party elders, might seem anathema to the GOP establishment.

isn't AP's sense of recency a bit quirky

Upon leaving the building, Long Island Rep. Peter King, who has said he’s considering a presidential bid in part to combat libertarian creep within the GO

quite a hit piece that was.. not sure if the writer even meant 'creed' or 'creep'

it seems hiring b- students from journalism writing class has unexpected effects in some ways

Long Island Rep. Peter King, who has said he’s considering a presidential bid in part to combat libertarian creep within the GOP, merrily told BuzzFeed, “We’re all just one big happy family” — before declaring he wouldn’t donate a penny to Paul’s campaign.
Later, Christie, who started a public spitting match with Paul this past summer, waved off questions with a curt, “Not a chance.”

waved off the reporter before he asked the question or waved off after the question was asked?

again can't tell if reporter really blows at writing that hard or somehow he found an ingenious way to turn his defective writing into an attack formula

WD-NY
09-23-2013, 11:58 PM
Why ya'll focused on only the negative aspects of the article??

On the whole, I think it's awesome that Rand is actively courting the most "elite" of GOP donors. No doubt, the more these establishment types speak one-on-one with Rand, the more they'll understand/like/respect him. I also think this sort of "outreach" is perfectly in line with Rand & Ron's message that they/we need to bring their/our message to anyone and everyone who will listen.

#PlayToWin

“They actually really like Rand because of how he came out and supported Romney,” the adviser said, adding, “I think he’ll surprise a lot of people with how much he can raise from [Romney’s former donors].”

One prominent New York Republican concurred, telling BuzzFeed after the event that while he was “surprisingly” impressed by Rubio’s mastery of the issues, too many are underestimating Paul’s appeal among the moneyed crowd that populated Johnson’s home Monday.

Rudeman
09-24-2013, 12:22 AM
isn't AP's sense of recency a bit quirky

quite a hit piece that was.. not sure if the writer even meant 'creed' or 'creep'

it seems hiring b- students from journalism writing class has unexpected effects in some ways

waved off the reporter before he asked the question or waved off after the question was asked?

again can't tell if reporter really blows at writing that hard or somehow he found an ingenious way to turn his defective writing into an attack formula

I thought the writer meant the libertarian philosophy creeping into the GOP and King was trying to stop that, as opposed to calling Rand a libertarian creep that King is trying to stop.

anaconda
09-24-2013, 12:28 AM

I didn't see it as a pejorative. I think the writer was using the word "creep" in a strict Websters Dictionary sense (kind of an incremental encroachment) but from Peter King's perspective.

"Long Island Rep. Peter King, who has said he’s considering a presidential bid in part to combat libertarian creep within the GOP"

Intriguing comment at the end (Paul was the last to leave..)! :D

anaconda
09-24-2013, 12:32 AM
The article made it sound like Peter King was one of the prospective donors. Is he some rich guy or something?

jtstellar
09-24-2013, 01:54 AM
so i guess king didn't take libertarians that personally after all

i feel so bad i had wronged him on this

FSP-Rebel
09-24-2013, 10:43 AM

rich34
09-24-2013, 10:58 AM
Well hell guys n gals, with possible establishment money just maybe the money bombs will get back to 2007 levels or worse...MUCH HIGHER!!

Keep your eyes, toes, fingers, and ears crossed :--)

Kords21
09-24-2013, 11:15 AM
I can already see Christie and King headlining the DNC