PDA

View Full Version : McConnell and Cornyn whipping votes AGAINST Ted Cruz

No1butPaul
09-23-2013, 10:04 PM
Breitbart exclusive:

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/09/23/Exclusive-McConnell-Cornyn-whipping-votes-against-Ted-Cruz
http://cdn.breitbart.com/mediaserver/Breitbart/Big-Government/2013/Congress/Senate%20Republicans/mcconnell-cornyn-afp.jpg
A source in Congress tells Breitbart News that Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell and Senate Minority Whip John Cornyn are using their leadership positions to pressure other Republicans to oppose Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) in his campaign to defund Obamacare.

"Right now in the Senate, Mitch McConnell and John Cornyn are actively whipping Senators to shut down debate on the House continuing resolution so that Harry Reid can gut it with just 51 votes,” a senior congressional staffer with intimate knowledge of the situation said in an email to Breitbart News. “Unbelievably, they actually are leading the fight to fully fund Obamacare.”

McConnell and Cornyn stated earlier Monday that they oppose a possible filibuster from Cruz to keep Reid from adding language funding the Affordable Care Act to the continuing resolution passed by the House of Representatives.

As Breitbart News reported on Saturday, McConnell and Cornyn could help Cruz win:

First, when Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid brings the House continuing resolution (CR) to the floor next week, Minority Leader Mitch McConnell needs to deliver 41 Republican votes to filibuster it until Senator Reid agrees not to try and restore funding for Obamacare. McConnell has the power to ensure that Reid cannot get an amendment onto the bill that strips the Obamacare defunding language with a simple majority vote. As Breitbart News laid out on Friday, McConnell has closed down one pathway that Reid could use:

If [Reid] introduces an amendment before the Senate votes on cloture for the House CR[, t]hat would require a 60-vote threshold, and McConnell’s spokesman Don Stewart told Breitbart News that if Reid attempted that tactic, all Senate Republicans would stand together to block it.

However, a major avenue is still open through which Reid can get the amendment onto the bill with a simple majority. If McConnell decides Obamacare is worth fighting in earnest on must-pass legislation (ie non-symbolic votes), then he will deliver the 41 necessary votes to filibuster until Reid is forced to agree to a clean up-or-down Senate floor vote on the Obamacare defunding CR the House just passed. There is something McConnell can do using his power that could accomplish this: Filibuster the House CR until there is a unanimous consent agreement that any amendments added to it after cloture is invoked would also each require a 60-vote threshold. The power rests now with McConnell. Delivering the 41 votes is essential to help Ted Cruz.

Instead of helping Cruz with their power as Senate GOP leaders, McConnell and Cornyn are working against him, this senior staffer said. But in the end, they will try to make it appear as though they do not support funding Obamacare by voting against Reid’s amendment after allowing Reid to implement it. “Once it's a 51-vote threshold, both McConnell and Cornyn will hide behind a 'no' vote on Reid's amendment—so they will have yet another show vote,” the staffer said.

“To be clear, nobody is fighting harder to make sure Obamacare is funded than Mitch McConnell and John Cornyn,” the senior staffer added.

TaftFan
09-23-2013, 10:18 PM
Can Robert Paul please run in Texas?

ObiRandKenobi
09-23-2013, 10:23 PM
id rather have the rent is too damn high guy as majority leader.

Slutter McGee
09-23-2013, 11:32 PM
you guys don't understand this. It is all a game. A game for power. We desire that power in order to relinquish it, but it doesn't change the pieces. We deal with the pieces we have on the board. Its doesn't change the strategy. This is about one thing. Power. This is a game of chess...not checkers as some of you people seem to think.

Slutter McGee

TruckinMike
09-24-2013, 08:47 AM
you guys don't understand this. It is all a game. A game for power. We desire that power in order to relinquish it, but it doesn't change the pieces. We deal with the pieces we have on the board. Its doesn't change the strategy. This is about one thing. Power. This is a game of chess...not checkers as some of you people seem to think.

Slutter McGee

you mean like this...

Chess: The Invisible Attack, (http://www.justchess.biz/invisibleattack.htm) Holding Pieces Hostage and Sacrificing Your Queen

When you advance to an intermediate level of chess, it’s important that you know how to make moves that are dual purpose. This means you can defend your pieces while attacking those of your opponent. A great example of this is to block your opponent’s pawn while at the same time opening a path for your queen or rook.
The Invisible Attack

edit:

sacrifice the queen, bring in Rubio, check. LoL:)

thequietkid10
09-24-2013, 01:52 PM
you mean like this...

edit:

Of course the optimist would concluded that this makes Rand the more likable Tea Party guy in comparison.

09-24-2013, 01:57 PM
The current makeup of the senate makes defunding obamacare presently impossible. The vast majority of the public is strongly against a government shutdown. Cruz and any senator who votes with him are making themselves unelectable in general elections. Choose battles you can win. I'm glad Rand is staying out of this one, he is playing his long game rather well.

ClydeCoulter
09-24-2013, 02:56 PM
The current makeup of the senate makes defunding obamacare presently impossible. The vast majority of the public is strongly against a government shutdown. Cruz and any senator who votes with him are making themselves unelectable in general elections. Choose battles you can win. I'm glad Rand is staying out of this one, he is playing his long game rather well.

Stopping an amendment to fund ObamaCareless is not a shutdown of government. And, I would say that you have to choose battles that are worth fighting, the ones that you know you can win are the safe ones. ObamaCareless is worth fighting, it will be like trying to get rid of SSI and Medicare if you let it get its full strength.

It appears that Rand will be joining, good. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?428601-Rand-Paul-to-join-Cruz-in-Senate-floor-protest-against-ObamaCare

09-24-2013, 03:09 PM
Stopping an amendment to fund ObamaCareless is not a shutdown of government. And, I would say that you have to choose battles that are worth fighting, the ones that you know you can win are the safe ones. ObamaCareless is worth fighting, it will be like trying to get rid of SSI and Medicare if you let it get its full strength.

It appears that Rand will be joining, good. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?428601-Rand-Paul-to-join-Cruz-in-Senate-floor-protest-against-ObamaCare

It will cause a shutdown if it comes to an impasse.

nobody's_hero
09-24-2013, 03:54 PM
I'd like to actually see what a shut down looks like. They keep telling us it's a bad thing but since it's never actually happened (and probably wouldn't, anyway), my curiosity is getting the best of me.

09-24-2013, 04:02 PM
I'd like to actually see what a shut down looks like. They keep telling us it's a bad thing but since it's never actually happened (and probably wouldn't, anyway), my curiosity is getting the best of me.

Did you miss the 2 times it happened during the Clinton years?

Workers get furloughed, services get cut off, federal facilities close etc.

Politicians aproval ratings go in the crapper on both sides of the isle, the public hates it.

easycougar
09-24-2013, 05:00 PM

Politicians aproval ratings go in the crapper on both sides of the isle, the public hates it.

And how is this a bad thing???

Sola_Fide
09-24-2013, 05:22 PM
id rather have the rent is too damn high guy as majority leader.

That would be cool.

CPUd
09-24-2013, 05:36 PM

I remember those days, and Newt Gingrich took most of the heat for it.

VoluntaryAmerican
09-24-2013, 09:05 PM
you mean like this...

edit:

BLITZKRIEG FOR LIBERTY!!!!

fr33
09-24-2013, 09:10 PM
Shut it down. Shut it all down.

Henry Rogue
09-24-2013, 10:32 PM
Shut it down. Shut it all down.
Shut it down.

Paulbot99
09-24-2013, 10:58 PM
Disgusting. Why am I not surprised these neo-cons were just putting on a show for the public when they said they opposed Obamacare?

Athan
09-25-2013, 07:15 AM
Now we have something to use against Cornyn in Texas for those more brainwashed teaparty members.