PDA

View Full Version : Pushing liberty in the executive branch

tod evans
09-23-2013, 09:22 AM
Seems that the majority of effort is spent on the legislative branch of government...

Most areas of the country have an elected district attorney...

Is it possible that somewhere in this country there is a lawyer who is fit for the job of DA?

One who has the intestinal fortitude to prosecute members of the "Just-Us" department, to refuse to prosecute "crimes" that are at odds with public opinion..

Or is it as I fear........That any lawyer who seeks employment in the DA's office is already beyond hope, leaving the public to "vote" for the least rotten apple in the barrel?

Paulbot99
09-23-2013, 10:03 AM
I am not sure. I once thought there was no hope in Congress. Then I heard of Ron Paul. I will have to read up on the politics the district attorneys are involved with.

mczerone
09-23-2013, 10:19 AM
Seems that the majority of effort is spent on the legislative branch of government...

Most areas of the country have an elected district attorney...

Is it possible that somewhere in this country there is a lawyer who is fit for the job of DA?

One who has the intestinal fortitude to prosecute members of the "Just-Us" department, to refuse to prosecute "crimes" that are at odds with public opinion..

Or is it as I fear........That any lawyer who seeks employment in the DA's office is already beyond hope, leaving the public to "vote" for the least rotten apple in the barrel?

(1) if you take a job with a DA office or prosecutor's office, you just take orders or get fired. You don't get to refuse to prosecute drug crimes. You don't get to push for the prosecution of govt wrong doers.

(2) You don't get hired by a city or subdivision as DA unless you're "in" with the local councils.

(3) So that leaves getting elected to top offices by popular vote. And this has its own problems that makes it unlikely:
(3a) You can't get through a republican primary without being a "law and order" type, which is opposite of the positions that a liberty candidate would have.
(3b) You might find success in a Democratic primary with the voters if you have strong enough grass-roots support, but the local party apparatus would actively support any other candidate as strongly as possible.
(3c) Third Party - well, we know that is an almost impossible battle.

BTW - I ran for county prosecutor as a Libertarian, got 14%.

tod evans
09-23-2013, 10:26 AM
So in essence it's the least rotten yes-man who gets elected?

Leading me to believe I'm correct in targeting these weak, useless pieces of trash, that enable the "Just-Us" department to prevail...

CaseyJones
09-23-2013, 10:28 AM
did you mean Judicial? and there are a few members of this forum who are law students so I have some hope, but we need more

tod evans
09-23-2013, 10:32 AM
did you mean Judicial? and there are a few members of this forum who are law students so I have some hope, but we need more

Isn't the DA part of the executive branch?

Since cops and DA's are on "their" team I drew the conclusion.........

Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong though?

mczerone
09-23-2013, 11:21 AM

The prosecutors are part of the executive branch. That's why the Judge and Prosecutor in a criminal case are presumed not to be in a conflict of interest for representing the same party in the proceedings.

Though some liberty-minded judges would be good to have, too. Especially at the appellate level or higher that can set precedent. Trial court judges could at least refuse to issue anti-liberty rulings, but they could always be appealed by the endless coffers of the state, and if the appellate judge aren't liberty-minded, the decisions will just be overturned and you could possibly be kicked off the bench if you're refusing to follow what they say the law is.

CaseyJones
09-23-2013, 11:23 AM
oh ty +rep