PDA

View Full Version : Frank Rich: It’s Hard to Hate Rand Paul

jct74
09-22-2013, 08:20 PM
It’s Hard to Hate Rand Paul

The junior senator from Kentucky would be an appalling right-wing president, and yet he is a valuable politician: a man of conviction, and a visitation from a post-Obama political future.

By Frank Rich
Published Sep 22, 2013

http://images.nymag.com/news/frank-rich/randpaul130923_560.jpg

In the Labor Day weekend scramble set off by President Obama’s zero-hour about-face on Syria, the only visible politician in Washington who knew just what he wanted to say and said it was the junior senator from Kentucky, Rand Paul. Appearing after John Kerry on *Meet the Press that Sunday, Paul reminded viewers of Kerry’s famous Vietnam-era locution, then said he would like to ask him a question of his own: “How can you ask a man to be the first one to die for a mistake?”

There were no surprises in Paul’s adamant opposition to a military strike. But after a chaotic week of White House feints and fumbles accompanied by vamping and vacillation among leaders in both parties, the odd duck from Kentucky emerged as an anchor of principle, the signal amid the noise. Paul’s constancy was particularly conspicuous in contrast to his presumed Republican presidential rivals in 2016, Marco Rubio, Paul Ryan, and Ted Cruz. Though each of them had waxed hawkish about Syria in the past—in Rubio’s case, just the week before—they held their fire over Labor Day weekend, stuck their fingers to the pollsters’ wind, and then more or less fell in with Paul’s noninterventionist bottom line once they emerged. It’s not the first time that Paul had proved the leader of the pack in which he was thought to be the joker.

This has been quite a year for Paul. Not long ago, he was mainly known as the son of the (now retired) gadfly Texas congressman Ron Paul, the perennial presidential loser who often seemed to have wandered into GOP-primary debates directly from an SNL sketch. Like his father, Rand Paul has been dismissed by most Democrats as a tea-party kook and by many grandees in his own party as a libertarian kook; the Republican Establishment in his own state branded him “too kooky for Kentucky” in his first bid for public office. Now BuzzFeed has anointed him “the de facto foreign policy spokesman for the GOP”—a stature confirmed when he followed Obama’s prime-time speech on the Syrian standoff with a televised mini-address of his own.

But even before an international crisis thrust him center stage, Paul had become this year’s most compelling and prescient political actor. His ascent began in earnest in March with the Twitter-certified #standwithrand sensation of his Ayn Rand and Gabriel García Márquez. He has, in the words of Rich Lowry of National Review, “that quality that can’t be learned or bought: He’s interesting.” In that sense, he’s kind of a Eugene McCarthy of the right, destined to shake things up without necessarily reaping the rewards for himself.

read more:
http://nymag.com/news/frank-rich/rand-paul-2013-9/

print version (1 page):
http://nymag.com/news/frank-rich/rand-paul-2013-9/#print

VoluntaryAmerican
09-22-2013, 09:52 PM
Really shitty write-up, beside the fact that the author concedes Rand is hard to dislike.

juleswin
09-22-2013, 10:00 PM
Really shitty write-up, beside the fact that the author concedes Rand is hard to dislike.

Thought so too, the smile I had from the few positive things he had to say about Rand was quickly erased by the insult and backhanded compliments.

Cowlesy
09-22-2013, 10:32 PM
But none of us should expect Frank Rich to ever support or say nice things about Rand Paul. He can't just go full batshit-hate on Rand or else people won't take him seriously. It has to be nuanced and interwoven into a narrative that starts and finishes with Rand being a right-wing extremist that no one could ever fathom being President.

I'm glad no one here really does, but the general public always wants to hold out hope that dyed-in-the-wool Upper West Side leftists will somehow "see the beacons of Freedom and Honesty" in Rand Paul and treat him with respect.

When Rand agitates for more Freedom and is honest about issues that most politicians shuck/jive about, they don't see it as a good thing, they see it as a challenge to their ability to drum him out of potential voters' consciences.

Guys like Frank Rich, or Maureen Dowd, heck even the next mayor of NYC Bill de Blasio are simply leftists. They have been for decades. They will never change, they will never be your friend, they will never listen to your "reason" or "rationality." They are tanks and they would prefer people like us just lay down in front of the tracks.

Legend1104
09-22-2013, 11:19 PM
Perhaps, it is because he woke me up and was/is so influential in educating me, but I always have felt like Dr. Paul was a grandfather figure to me. So I get really irate when I see/hear/read of someone disrespecting him. Part of me really wants to find this guy and just push his nose through his face. How can anyone disrespect such a nice honest guy?

WD-NY
09-22-2013, 11:51 PM
Another MASSIVE WIN for Rand and his media outreach team. Seriously, this article is going to be read (and more importantly, internalized) by A LOT of lefty bloggers, journalists and politicos (who know how to read between the lines).

Re: the transparently partisan digs Rich scattered in at the beginning (e.g "Rand Paul would be an appalling right-wing president...") - they're so lazily rote/automatic that I wouldn't be surprised if Rich (or his editor) realized he needed to insert a little CYA language or risk excuminication from the "Gang of 500".

BuddyRey
09-23-2013, 12:13 AM
Ugh, from almost the first paragraph, my blood started to boil with the insults to Ron. How does running for President three times make one a "perennial Presidential loser"?

specsaregood
09-23-2013, 04:54 AM
Ugh, from almost the first paragraph, my blood started to boil with the insults to Ron. How does running for President three times make one a "perennial Presidential loser"?

It's just people with hate in their hearts letting loose. I wouldn't put much more thought into it than that.

matt0611
09-23-2013, 07:37 AM

Especially when one was in the 80s.

whoisjohngalt
09-23-2013, 07:40 AM
I'm glad no one here really does, but the general public always wants to hold out hope that dyed-in-the-wool Upper West Side leftists will somehow "see the beacons of Freedom and Honesty" in Rand Paul and treat him with respect.

I agree we won't win their support in a campaign, but I think that they might be useful in helping us get some policy wins if we ever see a President Paul.

specsaregood
09-23-2013, 07:48 AM

Al Gore has run for president just as many times as Ron. I wonder if this writer would bristle if one described al gore as a "perennial Presidential loser"?

July
09-23-2013, 08:33 AM
His "regime" of minimal government? He's really twisting himself in knots there to try to make smaller government sound more authoritarian and frightening.

Nice photo though, I like the black/white and red tie.

FSP-Rebel
09-23-2013, 11:53 AM
Nice photo though, I like the black/white and red tie.
Yep, at least they chose the pic that made him look like a distinguished and accomplished Boss.

This is quite powerful less the nonsense ad hominems even by lefty standards

There were no surprises in Paul’s adamant opposition to a military strike. But after a chaotic week of White House feints and fumbles accompanied by vamping and vacillation among leaders in both parties, the odd duck from Kentucky emerged as an anchor of principle, the signal amid the noise. Paul’s constancy was particularly conspicuous in contrast to his presumed Republican presidential rivals in 2016, Marco Rubio, Paul Ryan, and Ted Cruz. Though each of them had waxed hawkish about Syria in the past—in Rubio’s case, just the week before—they held their fire over Labor Day weekend, stuck their fingers to the pollsters’ wind, and then more or less fell in with Paul’s noninterventionist bottom line once they emerged. It’s not the first time that Paul had proved the leader of the pack in which he was thought to be the joker.
That's what I calling "flipping the script" on the GOP insiders and "owning it" (queuing the most recent Ford Truck ads). Rand got so much political capital on this one and the people will love him for it once they realize.

FSP-Rebel
09-23-2013, 11:56 AM