PDA

View Full Version : How the Mental Health Industry Creates Disease, Works with Big Pharma

donnay
09-22-2013, 10:03 AM
How the Mental Health Industry Creates Disease, Works with Big Pharma

by Elizabeth Renter

We spend a lot of time at NaturalSociety talking about Big Pharma and their role in the health care industry. These huge pharmaceutical companies make billions every single year by perpetuating a culture of dis-ease and illness. They exaggerate conditions, offer their solutions as the only viable treatments, and essentially market disease to the American people. But they aren’t acting alone. Some of their biggest sellers are drugs created to treat mental health issues, diseases, and symptoms. Doctors and professionals within the mental health industry, therefore, act as their top salespeople.
Mike Bundrant is the host of Mental Health Exposed, a radio program from our friends at Natural News. He is a former mental health counselor and had an inside look at how the system works. as Bundrant points out, the system has some “dirty secrets”.

“The conventional mental health system is a cruel joke,” he writes for Natural news (http://www.naturalnews.com/041478_psychologists_mental_health_industry_secret s.html). “It’s ugly.”

Bundrant and others like him say the mental health industry is just as dirty as Big Pharma itself, creating conditions and “curing” with prescriptions. This means many counselors and psychiatrists are interested in treating mental illness with one solution—drugs.

The Mental Health Industry’s Dirty Secrets

We’ve seen this issue arise more so in the last 2 decades than ever before. Through the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (essentially the bible of mental health for psychiatrists), hundreds of disease have essentially been ‘created’ and reclassified. Because of this, mental health ‘issues’ are skyrocketing and more individuals are on antipsychotic drugs than ever. Not surprisingly, as much as 70% of psychiatrists involved in the DSM have financial ties to drug companies (http://naturalsociety.com/70-of-dsm-psychiatrists-financially-tied-to-drug-companies/).

“The bottom line is that it’s about the bottom line. So many clients, so much money. Keep the practices full, the insurance companies appeased and the revolving door turning.”

Case notes are taken with the idea that they may one day be viewed in a lawsuit. Counselors are told to, essentially, cover their butts and protect themselves, their companies, and the insurance companies from liability. In many cases this is seen as a priority over helping the patients.

As with medical doctors, mental health professionals may even be guilty of diagnosing the most serious conditions possible, all to authorize more treatment and therefore more money. What may be a situational condition, treatable with one or two sessions of therapy, could turn into a diagnosis for major depressive disorder, treatable with prescription drugs and ongoing, no-end-in-sight counseling appointments.

Millions of Americans have been diagnosed with depression and likely millions more feel depressed but lack a diagnosis. These people would often benefit from talking to someone (and eating better, but that’s another article entirely) rather than popping a pill. But when they are seen as a number or a dollar sign, they are shortchanged on true treatment and real help.

Though many mental health professionals are in their field for noble reasons and act with some sense of moral accountability, many more are caught up as cogs in a crooked system, the same system that sees selling pills as more important than being truly healthy. In a world where creativity is deemed a mental illness (http://naturalsociety.com/scientists-creativity-part-of-mental-illness/), dangerous drugs are being dispensed with impunity.

Source:
http://naturalsociety.com/exposing-mental-health-industry-dirty-secrets/

bolil
09-22-2013, 12:31 PM
The publishers of the DSMVs should be put on trial for wonton forest murder.

angelatc
09-22-2013, 01:17 PM
I love how these people make billions of dollars a year bitching about other people making billions of dollars a year.

Millions of Americans have been diagnosed with depression and likely millions more feel depressed but lack a diagnosis. These people would often benefit from talking to someone (and eating better, but that’s another article entirely) rather than popping a pill. But when they are seen as a number or a dollar sign, they are shortchanged on true treatment and real help.

Obviously he knows that everybody else is stupid, and he knows better when it comes to what everybody else needs - certainly more than they themselves do. Heavens forbid they be just happy doing what they want. Condescending, bitter, hateful, greedy prick.

I hate these people with a disproportionate amount of passion because they're nothing but snake oil sellers, preying on the weakest members of society.

And the people that post these unsolicited unsubstantiated bad advice, liberal anti-capitalism columns are only one half-step above them

coastie
09-22-2013, 01:21 PM
I love how these people make billions of dollars a year bitching about other people making billions of dollars a year.

Lolz, I know, right? It's like, almost as funny as people posting in topics with nothing to add whatsoever to the discussion at hand.

angelatc
09-22-2013, 01:25 PM
Lolz, I know, right? It's like, almost as funny as people posting in topics with nothing to add whatsoever to the discussion at hand.

Its my public duty to point out thats it's lunatic bullshit, so people realize there's not really a shred of truth in any of this crap.

coastie
09-22-2013, 01:42 PM

Obviously he knows that everybody else is stupid, and he knows better when it comes to what everybody else needs - certainly more than they themselves do. Heavens forbid they be just happy doing what they want. Condescending, bitter, hateful, greedy prick.

You are one sad, confused person. Once again, you pull context out of your ass, instead of what your reading, as you've done in any thread relating to this subject....

I hate these people with a disproportionate amount of passion because they're nothing but snake oil sellers, preying on the weakest members of society.

And the people that post these unsolicited unsubstantiated bad advice, liberal anti-capitalism columns are only one half-step above them

:toady: What the fuck is wrong with you? Bad advice? Bad advice would be me shouting from the rooftops all the virtues ff SSRI's, after seeing up close and personal what they are capable of. You OBVIOUSLY didn't even read the article. You're awfully defensive about these drugs, to the point of calling out your hatred for myself and others in this thread....hmm, nvmd.

Its my public duty to point out thats it's lunatic bullshit, so people realize there's not really a shred of truth in any of this crap.

Oh, so big pharma and the psychiatric industry aren't in cahoots with each other? I think you better start doing some real fucking research on this subject before you dare to be claiming to serve the public with your pearls of wisdom.

donnay
09-22-2013, 03:04 PM
You are one sad, confused person. Once again, you pull context out of your ass, instead of what your reading, as you've done in any thread relating to this subject....

:toady: What the fuck is wrong with you? Bad advice? Bad advice would be me shouting from the rooftops all the virtues ff SSRI's, after seeing up close and personal what they are capable of. You OBVIOUSLY didn't even read the article. You're awfully defensive about these drugs, to the point of calling out your hatred for myself and others in this thread....hmm, nvmd.

Oh, so big pharma and the psychiatric industry aren't in cahoots with each other? I think you better start doing some real fucking research on this subject before you dare to be claiming to serve the public with your pearls of wisdom.

I wish I could double +rep this post. Well said!! Big pHARMa is also in cahoots with government. They use government power to force people, at the barrel of a gun to stop independent studies.

angelatc
09-22-2013, 03:13 PM
I wish I could double +rep this post. Well said!! Big pHARMa is also in cahoots with government. They use government power to force people, at the barrel of a gun to stop independent studies.

You can't ever explain your positions. When you start getting thrashed in one thread, you just pop up and start another. For example, you can't prove they ever stopped a single independent study. And you can't explain how the American government can stop independent studies in other nations.

Instead of refusing to believe that you're just wrong, and admitting that there's no science to back up these doom-and-gloom assertions you repost, you go around making up conspiracies and spreading flat out lies. And apparently for no good reason. Face it - nobody ever asks, "Hey DonnaY! What do you think about this?"

In fact, I guess you weren't getting enough attention in Health Freedom, so you've decided to contaminate General Politics with the noise?

You want to discourage people to take anti-depressants? That means you're encouraging them to stay sick. You're essentially saying that they're better off committing suicide than getting help. And I can't figure out where this comes from.

You just can't appreciate that statistically speaking people are healthier, happier and live longer when they don't take your advice?

better-dead-than-fed
09-22-2013, 03:20 PM
You want to discourage people to take anti-depressants? That means you're encouraging them to stay sick. You're essentially saying that they're better off committing suicide than getting help.... You just can't appreciate that statistically speaking people are healthier, happier and live longer when they don't take your advice?

Controversial informational claims should include a verifiable source of the information or note that the information is "unverified".

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/content.php?1989-Usage-Guidelines

angelatc
09-22-2013, 03:22 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/content.php?1989-Usage-Guidelines

*snort* Maybe you should make the same request of DonnaY. She's never been able to prove a single one of her assertions, to my knowledge.

HOwever, there are oodles and oodles of studies that prove that anti-depressants reduce the risk of suicide in mentally ill patients. Google is your friend.

Here's just one: http://www.nber.org/digest/nov07/w12906.html

better-dead-than-fed
09-22-2013, 03:25 PM
anti-capitalism

I agree that Natural Whatever blog are commies complaining about profit, while maybe trying to sell their own snake oil; but Big Pharma and the medical industry are not acting in a free market. Most of their funding comes from government. They are for all intents and purposes branches of government, undeserving of anyone's blind faith.

TaftFan
09-22-2013, 03:25 PM
These copy+paste jobs would look much more credible without sources, lol

better-dead-than-fed
09-22-2013, 03:27 PM
HOwever, there are oodles and oodles of studies that prove that anti-depressants reduce the risk of suicide in mentally ill patients. Google is your friend.

I just Googled, didn't find any such studies. You can pretend all day, that doesn't make it true.

angelatc
09-22-2013, 03:32 PM
I agree that Natural Whatever blog are commies complaining about profit while trying to sell their own snake oil; but Big Pharma and the medical industry are not acting in a free market. Most of their funding comes from government. They are for all intents and purposes branches of government, undeserving of anyone's blind faith.

There's a huge leap from blind faith to what DonnaY is suggesting. I know you're relatively new here, but she literally believes that every doctor in the country is part of a great conspiracy to kill us all prematurely. Facts and science mean nothing to her only because she can't use them to defend her delusions.

better-dead-than-fed
09-22-2013, 03:34 PM
*snort* Maybe you should make the same request of DonnaY.

p.s.

I have:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?428025-Federal-government-routinely-hires-internet-trolls-shills-to-monitor-chat-rooms-disrupt-arti&p=5230148&viewfull=1#post5230148

angelatc
09-22-2013, 03:35 PM
She's not shrieking and frothing, so maybe I overlooked that.

I just Googled, didn't find any such studies. You can pretend all day, that doesn't make it true.

Maybe they didn't teach you how to Google in prison, or maybe you're just intellectually dishonest? http://bit.ly/17VaIvf

You can pretend they don't exist - doesn't make it true.

pcosmar
09-22-2013, 03:35 PM
This goes here,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffZUHWG66EA

better-dead-than-fed
09-22-2013, 03:51 PM
There's a huge leap from blind faith to what DonnaY is suggesting. I know you're relatively new here, but she literally believes that every doctor in the country is part of a great conspiracy to kill us all prematurely. Facts and science mean nothing to her only because she can't use them to defend her delusions.

I try to focus on the content of the posts instead of my impressions about the person posting. But since you want to go there, I think your faith in the mainstream government-medical complex is just as irrational, maybe delusional.

Case notes are taken with the idea that they may one day be viewed in a lawsuit. Counselors are told to, essentially, cover their butts and protect themselves, their companies, and the insurance companies from liability. In many cases this is seen as a priority over helping the patients.http://naturalsociety.com/exposing-mental-health-industry-dirty-secrets/

This is true. I have seen it firsthand when looking at the case notes that professionals have created about my meetings with them. There have been exceptional times when professionals have created accurate notes, but this has been rare in my experience.

An epidemic of inaccurate records does not require some vast conspiracy. It naturally follows from a lack of accountability. Inaccurate records result from professional incompetence, which is allowed unchecked in this situation; and then there is also financial incentive to slant records in favor of pharmaceutical companies. Even the DOJ is investigating Big Pharma's direct payments to doctors.

Look at the proposed legislation concerning psych evaluations in order to purchase firearms..

There are people who realize it's generally a bad idea to talk to police. That's not an extreme view; it was validated by SCOTUS in their Miranda v Arizona opinion, it was the impetus for the requirement that people be reminded they have a right to remain silent. But society has been conditioned to trust government-paid psychiatrists serving the same function as police. In the quote below, Justice Black was not even talking about police; he was talking about government-paid agents in general:

Under current practice, governmental reliance on psychiatric opinions is a menace to liberty. The corrupt or incompetent psychiatrist is free in court to misrepresent statements made to him earlier by a patient/suspect. Such hearsay testimony is regularly admitted in judicial proceedings.

A secret examination ... is fraught with dangers of the highest degree to a witness who may be prosecuted on charges related to or resulting from his interrogation. ... The witness has no effective way to challenge his interrogator’s testimony as to what was said and done at the secret inquisition. The officer’s version frequently may reflect an inaccurate understanding of an accused's statements or, on occasion, may be deliberately distorted or falsified. While the accused may protest against these misrepresentations, his protestations will normally be in vain.

... Secret inquisitions are dangerous things justly feared by free men everywhere. They are the breeding place for arbitrary misuse of official power. They are often the beginning of tyranny as well as indispensable instruments for its survival. Modern as well as ancient history bears witness that both innocent and guilty have been seized by officers of the state and whisked away for secret interrogation or worse until the groundwork has been securely laid for their inevitable conviction. While the labels applied to this practice have frequently changed, the central idea wherever and whenever carried out remains unchanging—extraction of “statements” by one means or another from an individual by officers of the state while he is held incommunicado. I reiterate my belief that it violates the Due Process Clause to compel a person to answer questions at a secret interrogation where he is denied legal assistance and where he is subject to the uncontrolled and invisible exercise of power by government officials. Such procedures are a grave threat to the liberties of a free people.

-- In re Groban, 352 US 330 - Supreme Court 1957, Justice Black dissenting (http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=7812116990016600848&q=352+U.S.+330&hl=en&as_sdt=2,3)

The corrupt or incompetent psychiatrist is also free in court to convey false statements made to him earlier by third parties, even when those third parties are unavailable in court for cross-examination.

Justice Black isn't just talking about conspiracies above; he's talking about the dangers of unchecked incompetence too.

I have also seen firsthand how attorneys are part of the problem. Not because they're directly receiving secret kickbacks from Big Pharma CEO's, but because attorneys have a financial interest in kissing judge's butts, and judge's have a financial interest in pretending Big Pharma is better than it really is.

Had attorneys telling me not to sweat it everyone they associated with was on these happy pills so go ahead and get on them again if it makes the state happy,When a judge ordered me to get my billionth psyche eval, I said okay but I want it tape-recorded because this court should know what I really say during the evaluation, not just what the government-paid psychiatrist claims I say:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?424276-Why-Child-Protective-Services-Needs-Transparency-Now&p=5175028&viewfull=1#post5175028

Not only did the judge resist that idea, but so did the attorney, Gary Kneip, who was supposed to be representing my interest in having the court see the truth.

better-dead-than-fed
09-22-2013, 03:53 PM
Maybe they didn't teach you how to Google in prison, or maybe you're just intellectually dishonest? http://bit.ly/17VaIvf

You can pretend they don't exist - doesn't make it true.

I saw that when I Google'd it myself. No such studies. You must have overlooked what Google actually returns when you search that.

Working Poor
09-22-2013, 03:59 PM
What I love about big pharma is how we the tax payer fund their research then pay double the price for the treatment that develops out it while other nations get the same meds for a fraction of the cost.

pcosmar
09-22-2013, 04:09 PM
On a related note,,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_abuse_of_psychiatry

In the 1970s, Martha Beall Mitchell, wife of U.S. Attorney General John Mitchell, was diagnosed with a paranoid mental disorder for claiming that the administration of President Richard M. Nixon was engaged in illegal activities. Many of her claims were later proved correct, and the term "Martha Mitchell effect" was coined to describe mental health misdiagnoses when accurate claims are dismissed as delusional.

Whistle-blowers who part ranks with a government agency or major corporation can expect to be depicted as unhinged; it's in the agency's best interests. For example, Russ Tice was punished with psychiatric evaluations that labeled him as "mentally unbalanced" after persisting in his investigations of potentially illegal spying activity at the NSA.
As another example, an NYPD veteran who alleged falsified crime statistics in his department was forcibly committed to a mental institution. Psychiatrist Emmett G. Cooper was used against a lawyer in Ohio when he was requested to and did create a false psychiatric report which caused her suspension.

It is now being used as a part of 2nd Amendment disarmament.

And then there is MK Ultra,,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_MKUltra

Forty-four American colleges or universities, 15 research foundations or chemical or pharmaceutical companies and the like including Sandoz (now Novartis) and Eli Lilly and Company, 12 hospitals or clinics (in addition to those associated with universities), and three prisons are known to have participated in MKUltra.

The total lack of Ethics in the Industry is reason enough to avoid it in entirety.

NewRightLibertarian
09-22-2013, 04:32 PM

You're not doing a very good job. But keep throwing your little tantrums, it's amusing.

Icymudpuppy
09-22-2013, 04:43 PM
A film worth watching.

A dystopian vision of the forced use of an emotion killing psychotropic drug called "Equilibrium"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=660LEsFSEQk

DaninPA
09-22-2013, 04:56 PM
A film worth watching.

A dystopian vision of the forced use of an emotion killing psychotropic drug called "Equilibrium"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=660LEsFSEQk

FYI

Available on Amazon Prime. Not available on Netflix.

NewRightLibertarian
09-22-2013, 04:56 PM
Nah, don't watch that movie. Big pharma just wants us to be healthy. And don't ask any questions about 9/11 or get your news from anywhere but CNN. Ignorance is strength.

better-dead-than-fed
09-22-2013, 05:01 PM
*snort*... Google is your friend.

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/ac/06/briefing/2006-4272b1-01-FDA.pdf:

The estimated odds ratio for suicide-related behavior (preparatory acts, attempts and completed suicide) associated with assignment to antidepressant drug treatment compared to placebo observed from the entire dataset was 1.12... a slightly higher risk with antidepressant drug treatment that is not statistically significant....

Suicidal Behavior Risk for Active Drug relative to Placebo... [for patients under 25 years old]: 2.30 [2.3 times more likely]

donnay
09-22-2013, 05:21 PM
You can't ever explain your positions. When you start getting thrashed in one thread, you just pop up and start another. For example, you can't prove they ever stopped a single independent study. And you can't explain how the American government can stop independent studies in other nations.

“The man in the street does not notice the devil even when the devil is holding him by the throat.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

“It is simply no longer possible to believe much of the clinical research that is published, or to rely on the judgment of trusted physicians or authoritative medical guidelines. I take no pleasure in this conclusion, which I reached slowly and reluctantly over my two decades as an editor of The New England Journal of Medicine.” ~ Marcia Angell, M.D.

http://www.maps.org/research/mmj/
http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/2013/apr/17/federal_appeals_court_rejects_re
http://www.cancertutor.com/Other/BogusScience.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCrsn8ziGWU&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMlXd9hLpcY
http://www.naturalnews.com/027750_Greg_Caton_FDA.html
http://www.dailypaul.com/153097/us-government-owns-the-patent-on-cannabis-cures
http://www.cancertutor.com/WarBetween/War_Pauling.html
http://www.whale.to/m/binzel.html
http://c4ss.org/content/19098
http://www.newmediaexplorer.org/sepp/2005/09/16/corrupted_research_most_scientific_findings_are_fa lse.htm

HOLLYWOOD
09-22-2013, 05:22 PM
Take Your Pick Below... We get screwed from all angles.

Vitter: White House, PhRMA Made Deals to Kill Prescription Drug Reimportation

Recently released emails show White House promising to kill reimportation in exchange for PhRMA support of Obamacare in 2009

Senate bill, approved by an overwhelming 96-1 vote, addresses a number of concerns about the safety and quality of imported medicines. It also gives regulators new tools to combat drug counterfeiting and shortages. The legislation represents a major shift in how the government oversees the pharmaceutical industry. For more than 70 years, the Food and Drug Administration has focused its inspections on U.S. factories. But over time, most companies have moved their operations overseas to take advantage of cheaper labor and materials. Between 2001 and 2008 the number of U.S. drugs made outside of the country doubled, according FDA figures.

Today roughly 80% of the ingredients used in U.S. medicines are made overseas.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57441191/senate-passes-drug-import-safety-bill/

It's downright BRIBERY... READ

— The legislation's underlying purpose is to renew, through 2017, a program under which drugmakers pay the FDA set fees for the agency to review new medications. Under the latest version of the program, generic drugmakers would pay review fees for the first time, adding $299 million per year in new revenue, on top of the $693 million the agency stands to collect from branded drugmakers. The bill also renews a similar program for medical device reviews.

Under the Influence: Drug Lobbyists’ Role in 2003 Medicare Modernization Act
http://mlyon01.wordpress.com/2007/04/04/under-the-influence-drug-lobbyists-role-in-2003-medicare-modernization-act/

According to a new report (http://http://www.publicintegrity.org/rx/report.aspx?aid=823) by the Center for Public Integrity, congressmen are outnumbered two to one by lobbyists for an industry(pHARMa) that spends roughly a $100 million a year in campaign contributions and lobbying expenses to protect its profits.

"Massachusetts has secured an Enormous Victory, " Kerry said
http://www.boston.com/news/health/articles/2009/12/23/health_bill_will_keep_mass_overhaul_intact/

Bill also Bails out Massachusetts Socialized Health care system which is running Billions in Debt. Senator John Kerry inserted into the Bill, $500 Million in extra money for health care, But it doesn't stop there, the legislation contains an additional $200 Million for Massachusetts Hospitals which haven't been reimbursed by the state because of lack of funds. $700 Million up front for Massachusetts, We the people are paying Massachusetts PAST DEBT in HC!

CHECK THIS OUT: http://seniorjournal.com/NEWS/Politics/2007/7-05-08-EffortBySenate.htm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/07/AR2007050700516.html

Senate Blocks Bid to Allow Drug Imports

By ANDREW BRIDGES
The Associated Press
Monday, May 7, 2007; 6:34 PM

WASHINGTON -- In a triumph for the pharmaceutical industry, the Senate on Monday killed a drive to allow consumers to buy prescription drugs from abroad at a significant savings over domestic prices.

On a 49-40 vote, the Senate required the administration to certify the safety and effectiveness of imported drugs before they can be imported, a requirement that officials have said they cannot meet.

Sen. Thad Cochran, R-Miss., Introduced the legislation to keep Cheap Import Drugs out of American and in the pockets of the American Pharmaceuticals.

The Senate effectively killed a bid to allow consumers to buy their prescription medicines abroad Monday, requiring U.S. officials to certify the safety and effectiveness of such drugs. (Rogelio Solis - AP)

"Well, once again the big drug companies have proved that they are the most powerful and best financed lobby in Washington," said Sen. David Vitter, a Louisiana Republican.

The vote neutralized a second amendment, later passed on a voice vote, that would legalize the importation of prescription drugs manufactured in Canada, Australia, Europe, Japan and New Zealand.

Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., called the certification amendment, introduced by Sen. Thad Cochran, R-Miss., a "poison pill" for the drug-imports legislation. Sen. Byron Dorgan, D-N.D., acknowledged it nullified his bid to allow the purchase of drugs abroad.

"This is a setback for us. But the drug industry is one of the strongest industries in this town," Dorgan said.

Sen. Mike Enzi, a Wyoming Republican, said the requirement for a safety certification was essential to protect the public.

"Under both Democratic and Republican administrations, secretaries of Health and Human Services have declined to certify that foreign drugs _ like those allowed under the Dorgan Foreign Drug Act _ are safe for American consumers. They realized, as I do, that close enough isn't good enough," Enzi said.

The maneuvering occurred on broader legislation to renew the FDA's ability to collect fees from the drug industry to defray the cost of reviewing new drugs. Lawmakers have seized on the bill to overhaul the agency, including its handling of drug-safety issues highlighted in the wake of the withdrawal of the painkiller Vioxx.

Advocates of drug importation have argued for years that an existing ban is more a protection for the drug industry than a safety issue.

Overseas, drugs can cost two-thirds less than they do in the United States, where prices for brand-name drugs are among the highest in the world. In many industrialized countries, prices are lower because they are either controlled or partially controlled by government regulation.

Dorgan said allowing imports would drive down the price of U.S. brand-name drugs. He said 90 doses of the cholesterol drug Lipitor costs $321 in the U.S. _ about twice the cost in Canada.

The idea of allowing prescription drug imports enjoys broad popular support. However, lower prices overseas would not automatically translate into large savings for domestic consumers, according to a 2004 study by the Congressional Budget Office.

The study found that allowing drug imports from a broad set of countries would cut U.S. drug spending by $40 billion over 10 years, about a 1 percent savings. It said foreign governments could limit drug exports to protect their own domestic supplies, and that U.S. drug companies could respond to an importation bill by increasing prices abroad.

The pharmaceutical industry vehemently opposes allowing drug imports, arguing that they could leave the nation vulnerable to dangerous counterfeits.

better-dead-than-fed
09-22-2013, 05:24 PM
Ninth Circuit Approves Compulsory "Medical Treatment" Based On Unreliable Information:

My petition (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5ZYXb_HdIQhQ25RYjZmaVZ1Y0U/edit?usp=sharing) to the Ninth Circuit, and the court’s denial (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5ZYXb_HdIQhbERXZ0lNcFRuYXc/edit?usp=sharing) without explanation.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Vq5Vnb_0HMLE1zotv7B5TElXNP0KyGCMfS69CqWBQFQ/pub

kcchiefs6465
09-22-2013, 05:31 PM
I would very much encourage anyone to reconsider taking SSRIs, SSNRIs, benzodiazepines, and a great many of the other poisons they try to peddle to you.

Perhaps one day I'll post a video to show you why. I know a person who is most probably permanently disabled for life. Who, perfectly fine at age 22, at age 24 will most likely spend the rest of her life in a nursing home or hospital. Someone whose movements are so extreme and spastic, she has contracted a blood pathogen (forgive me if pathogen is the wrong term, I forget the exact name of it at the moment, it's slipping my mind) that raised her body temperature to 105 degrees almost killing her, twice. Whose kidneys and liver were overwhelmed and on the verge of failing as well. Who has been to some of the top neurologists in the country but whose neurologists are as astounded by her condition as anyone. You probably couldn't watch it if you tried. The screams and extreme twists of her body and face would make you cry.

I would very much tell anyone whose doctor is trying to recommend drugs for their child to find a new one and to personally not take any of their bullshit. There are therapeutic ways of overcoming depression that do not involve taking harmful substances. There are people who were and are permanently disfigured from their bullshit.

Working Poor
09-22-2013, 05:38 PM
Big Pharma=Big Corporate welfare.

better-dead-than-fed
09-22-2013, 05:50 PM
literally believes that every doctor in the country is part of a great conspiracy to kill us all prematurely.

Corporate welfare can be just as dangerous, and is in this case.

Ender
09-22-2013, 05:57 PM

Actually, snake oil is highly beneficial; it was given a bad name by the government so they could begin to take over and control the free market in medicine.

If you are going to spout propaganda, you should at least get your FACTS STRAIGHT.

Americans are sicker, mentally and physically more than they have ever been in the history of the country. Why? Because the population has become totally dependent on the AMA and Big Pharma. Almost all of modern remedies are a ruse. Chemo is about 100% fatal. We don't hear about it because pneumonia and other effects of chemo are blamed.

100 years from now this age will be looked at as barbarians for nuking people as a cure.

Utah pioneer, Brigham Young, once stated that the day would come when a woman would not be able to have a baby without a doctor; he was laughed at. Have to have a doctor to deliver a baby? How silly.

We live in The Matrix and the medicine industry is one of the leading factors in keeping us on the blue pill.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
09-22-2013, 06:07 PM
I'm mentally fine as long as I get enough pork rinds. If Dope Inc./Dope Gov. finally complete the fat vaccine, then I'm buying pig skins by the case.

U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services collaborates with the IRS to grant over $232,000 to a private company. Braasch was awarded the grant to develop its fat vaccine.
http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Qualifying-Therapeutic-Discovery-Project-Grants-for-the-State-of-South-Dakota

"Scientists at the Methodist Diabetes and Metabolism Institute hope to create a fat vaccine within the next decade,..."
http://www.chron.com/news/health/art...ne-4370285.php

"Haffer said that obese dogs and pigs could be next in line for testing with the experimental [fat] vaccine."
http://www.braaschbiotech.com/13JULY2012.html

moostraks
09-22-2013, 07:05 PM
Twenty-two years after the US marketing of Prozac, which changed the marketing, prescribing and widespread consumption of psychoactive drugs--a meta-analysis of six large studies published in the Journal of the Medical Association (JAMA) confirms that industry's blockbuster drugs, SSRI antidepressants were unable to outperform placebos for moderate symptoms of depression. Just like the older, much cheaper tricyclic antidepressants, SSRIs show a clinical value only for severely depressed--i.e., clinically
dysfunctional-- patients.

In other words, antidepressants are worthless for most of the people for whom they are prescribed.

Even cautious reporters of The New York Times could no longer avoid reporting the obvious--despite efforts to deflect from the scientific verdict:
"The findings could help settle a longstanding debate about antidepressants.
While the study does not imply that the drugs are worthless for anyone with moderate to serious depression - many such people do seem to benefit - it does provide one likely explanation for the sharp disagreement among experts about the drugs' overall effectiveness. Taken together, previous studies have painted a confusing picture. On one hand, industry-supported trials have generally found that the drugs sharply reduce symptoms. On the other, many studies that were not initially published, or were buried, showed no significant benefits compared with placebos."
http://www.ahrp.org/cms/content/view/658/110/

Philhelm
09-22-2013, 07:39 PM
However, there are oodles and oodles of studies that prove that anti-depressants reduce the risk of suicide in mentally ill patients. Google is your friend.

I never managed to respond to one of your posts from another thread on a similar topic. First, I do not necessarily believe that anti-depressants are evil, but I do question how freely they are given. I also question how certain diagnoses, such as depression, are always considered as a mental illness caused by chemical imbalance when there are often real reasons for people to be disheartened by life.

I will fall upon my own sword for this thread. Years ago, I had a very brief encounter with the mental health industry because of suicidal ideation. I was voluntarily admitted into the loony bin for observation. Technically, it was not voluntary as the choice was to admit myself or be involuntarily admitted by men with guns. There was only one logical choice, and I ended up staying there for under seventy-two hours for observation...and to be billed.

My first question when I had arrived was how much this would cost, as I was unemployed at the time and could not afford their tender care. The response was that I needed to get better and that I should not worry about money. I then asked the person that if things in my life were already bad, how would coercing me into coming to their facility to be financially crushed by exorbitant medical bills make me better. There was no answer.

I then asked how long I would need to be there, as I was uninsured and the duration of my stay would have an adverse financial effect. The nurse told me that I seemed smart, and that if I gave the answers I knew the doctors would want to hear, I could be out in a couple of days. What the fuck? Is that what they tell all of the patients?

Surprisingly, the police had been kind enough to let me take some cigarettes and a lighter from my vehicle, which were confiscated by the hospital of course. It did not matter though, since we were not allowed to see the light of day, even in a controlled environment. Way to cheer people up.

So I ended up playing their game, since I am sure if I was in the least bit belligerent they would have used their power in a vindictive manner. I had to cover my mouth to hide a wide grin during the group therapy sessions, as it reminded me of the Adam Sandler move "Anger Management." I felt like I was in Bizarro World. Of course, not once did anyone ask why I may have been depressed. Instead, I was given magical pills. Being a troll, I could not help but to ask that if one pill is supposed to make me happy, if I took all of them at once would I be really happy? The lady thought I was serious at first (creativity is a mental illness).

I felt alone and out of place there. Upon observation, most of the people were there because they heard voices, would yell at people who were not there, etc. I do not believe that mental illness does not exist, as my aunt was diagnosed with schizophrenia and she is way, way out there. However, I do question the long list of personality traits that are deemed as mental illness. I was not like most of these other people, and I suspect that most people prescribed with anti-depressants are not smearing themselves with their own feces and screaming at walls.

I did have funny encounter with an older female patient who woke me up and started trying to pull me from the bed while stating that it was time to leave. I managed to diffuse the situation by telling her to stop pulling at my sheet as I was naked. She immediately recoiled in horror and left. The bluff had worked, but I also felt a bit insulted as a hag such as her should have been happy to see a naked, handsome younger man. Oh well.

In any case, after I was released, I ended up going to the Veteran's Hospital as I was uninsured and figured it would not hurt to at least try to talk with one of their psychologists. When I spoke with the intake staff of the mental health department, I was asked if I had any elaborate suicide plans. I responded that my idea was to create a baroque gallows: at the center of a hedgerow maze would stand an ornate, golden gallows with bronze cherubs holding a banner engraved my name. She thought I was serious at first (creativity is a mental illness). I spoke with another staff member and had admitted to suicidal ideation. She then became really fierce and, in a threatening manner, stated that she could force me to be hospitalized. I told her that such action would be unproductive as I had arrived of my own volition because of the suicidal ideation, and that I simply wanted to make appointments with the psychologist rather than be thrown into a dungeon which would only cause an adverse psychological effect. She then asked if I would prefer pills. I stated that I did not want to take mind-altering pills, but I wanted to speak with the psychologist and perhaps get advice on solving real-life problems. She was utterly amazed and, with eyes as wide as a curious child's, asked why I would not want the pills since they would be free for me to obtain. She honestly could not comprehend this.

I ended up seeing the psychologist maybe four times. He was a decent fellow compared to the others, and would at least ask me about personal problems in my life, but ultimately, he was not very helpful. I eventually redressed my grievances through my own will and without magic pills.

I will let readers draw their own conclusions about how intelligent the mental health professionals really are, and how much they really give a fuck about their patients.

tod evans
09-22-2013, 07:48 PM
Since we have another SSRI thread I'll bang out my pat response...

As a man who's freely ingested most chemicals that'll get a person "high", including everyone on the feds schedule 1 list, I will not consume these value-engineered drugs nor will I let anyone in my care.

No studies, no articles, just my position...

better-dead-than-fed
09-22-2013, 10:05 PM
I also question how certain diagnoses, such as depression, are always considered as a mental illness caused by chemical imbalance when there are often real reasons for people to be disheartened by life....

The DSM-IV-TR defines depression "disorder" in terms of (p. 356):

depressed mood most of the day, nearly every day... or

markedly diminished interest or pleasure in all, or almost all, activities most of the day.

This definition doesn't even pretend that the condition is associated with any "chemical imbalance". The definition is decided by a vote of the American Psychiatric Association (APA). Per vote of the APA, if you feel a certain mood (or if an observer thinks you feel a certain mood), then you have this disorder, whether or not there is any "chemical imbalance". (In fact, if something like a chemical imbalance is detected through testing, mental disorder no longer describes the condition, and it's instead classified as a neurological, endocrinological, etc. disorder). But the "chemical imbalance" language still gets bantered around by quacks, nurses, lawyers, etc.

I do question the long list of personality traits that are deemed as mental illness.

Your questioning might actually be a mental illness, per vote of the APA, DSM-IV-TR (p. 715):

An individual with this disorder may... conclude a medical evaluation with a condescending evaluation of the physician.

Even if the DSM did make sense, which it does not, there'd still be the issue that doctors in practice do not go by the book and just make shit up to suit themselves:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2922387/:

For psychiatrists and clinicians, who live in a world without hours to spare, the reliability of psychiatric diagnoses is still poor. Even Spitzer and Frances, the directors of DSM-III and DSM-IV Task Force, admit that the desired reliability among the practicing clinicians has not been obtained.

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2005/01/03/050103fa_fact?currentPage=all:

Allen Frances, who worked under Spitzer on the DSM-III and who, in 1987, was appointed the director of the DSM-IV, says, “Without reliability the system is completely random, and the diagnoses mean almost nothing—maybe worse than nothing, because they’re falsely labelling. You’re better off not having a diagnostic system.”...

Reliability is probably lowest in the place where the most diagnoses are made: the therapist’s office. As Tom Widiger, who served as head of research for the DSM-IV, points out, “There are lots of studies which show that clinicians diagnose most of their patients with one particular disorder and really don’t systematically assess for other disorders. They have a bias in reference to the disorder that they are especially interested in treating....”

A diagnosis tells more about the doctor than the patient.

tttppp
09-22-2013, 11:08 PM
I would very much encourage anyone to reconsider taking SSRIs, SSNRIs, benzodiazepines, and a great many of the other poisons they try to peddle to you.

Perhaps one day I'll post a video to show you why. I know a person who is most probably permanently disabled for life. Who, perfectly fine at age 22, at age 24 will most likely spend the rest of her life in a nursing home or hospital. Someone whose movements are so extreme and spastic, she has contracted a blood pathogen (forgive me if pathogen is the wrong term, I forget the exact name of it at the moment, it's slipping my mind) that raised her body temperature to 105 degrees almost killing her, twice. Whose kidneys and liver were overwhelmed and on the verge of failing as well. Who has been to some of the top neurologists in the country but whose neurologists are as astounded by her condition as anyone. You probably couldn't watch it if you tried. The screams and extreme twists of her body and face would make you cry.

I would very much tell anyone whose doctor is trying to recommend drugs for their child to find a new one and to personally not take any of their bullshit. There are therapeutic ways of overcoming depression that do not involve taking harmful substances. There are people who were and are permanently disfigured from their bullshit.

SSRIs and antipsychotics are some of the worst medications out there. Tons of side effects and very little benefit. I have tried most of them and never found one where the benefits outweighed the costs. That's sad. Benzos are different. There are some that can provide benefits with little costs. Problem is there just are not many of them and nobody seems to want to perfect them because they do work.

better-dead-than-fed
09-22-2013, 11:57 PM