PDA

View Full Version : [Video] Police Chief runs over pedestrian

Brian4Liberty
09-21-2013, 10:56 AM
Interesting that in all of the news coverage of this, there is not the usual talk about test results for drugs or alcohol. Was he texting? Making a phone call? Eating? Drinking a beer? Smoking?

(KPRC) Houston's police chief says he has accepted a one day suspension without pay after hitting a pedestrian with his city vehicle.

The department has released video of the accident that happened on Sept. 4. The chief says the investigation has concluded, and showed what he has said from the beginning, that he was at fault. He says as a result, he's holding himself to a higher standard.

More:
http://www.wcsh6.com/news/watercooler/article/257416/108/Houstons-police-chief-hits-pedestrian-with-his-car-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrQPX3m1YuM

GunnyFreedom
09-21-2013, 11:08 AM
If an ordinary citizen had done this, then they would get one heck of a lot worse than one day off of work. Article 4 Section 4 of the US Constitution guaranteeing to the States "a republican form of government" means that it is unconstitutional for the police (or anybody!) to be held to a different standard of law than a regular citizen.

Carlybee
09-21-2013, 11:48 AM
Mayor Parker is playing politics with this. She has an election coming up next year and she doesn't want to piss off the Police Union.

LibertyEagle
09-21-2013, 12:07 PM
The department has released video of the accident that happened on Sept. 4. The chief says the investigation has concluded, and showed what he has said from the beginning, that he was at fault. He says as a result, he's holding himself to a higher standard.

How in hell is he holding himself to a higher standard?

GunnyFreedom
09-21-2013, 12:10 PM

Apparently when an 'ordinary' cop does this all he gets is a written reprimand in his jacket. Therefore a 'one day suspension' is higher than that.

Origanalist
09-21-2013, 12:11 PM

He didn't arrest the pedestrian?

Scrapmo
09-21-2013, 12:13 PM

He later pulled himself out of the vehicle, where he tazed and beat himself for resisting arrest.

Origanalist
09-21-2013, 12:20 PM
He later pulled himself out of the vehicle, where he tazed and beat himself for resisting arrest.

Yelling "stop resisting" the whole time.

Snew
09-21-2013, 12:27 PM
one day suspension?! Are you kidding me?!

Origanalist
09-21-2013, 12:29 PM
one day suspension?! Are you kidding me?!

The video at the link showing his self righteousness is just incredible.

FSP-Rebel
09-21-2013, 12:30 PM

Origanalist
09-21-2013, 12:31 PM

Fired????? What, are you new? It could have been worse......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ewrTdjXrNI4
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?428214-Police-Run-Over-Kill-Man-For-Seatbelt-Violation

tod evans
09-21-2013, 12:33 PM
When a citizen who accidentally runs into a cop is sent home for a day without pay then, and only then, will there be justice..

Honestly an accident is an accident, it's the huge disparity in punishment that's a problem...

Brian4Liberty
09-22-2013, 11:07 AM
When a citizen who accidentally runs into a cop is sent home for a day without pay then, and only then, will there be justice..

Honestly an accident is an accident, it's the huge disparity in punishment that's a problem...

Agree. Accidents are accidents. They happen. But if this was a mundane, they would put them through the ringer and find something to charge the person with. The slightest "distraction" or violation would result in maximum penalty. And the media would be calling for the driver's head.

Czolgosz
09-22-2013, 11:58 AM
Little anecdote; I've noted that many people step off curbs into the streets and barely checkout their surroundings.

As a jogger, cyclist, and motorcycle enthusiast, my head is on a swivel anytime I'm putting my lightweight self anywhere near 3500# of mobile stupidity.

Brian4Liberty
09-22-2013, 12:11 PM
Little anecdote; I've noted that many people step off curbs into the streets and barely checkout their surroundings.

As a jogger, cyclist, and motorcycle enthusiast, my head is on a swivel anytime I'm putting my lightweight self anywhere near 3500# of mobile stupidity.

Oh yeah, I've noticed that. It drives me crazy, especially when it is someone pushing a stroller.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
09-22-2013, 01:01 PM
Interesting that in all of the news coverage of this, there is not the usual talk about test results for drugs or alcohol. Was he texting? Making a phone call? Eating? Drinking a beer? Smoking?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrQPX3m1YuM

Unless they sped up the video, he actually accelerated into the pedestrian after partially rounding the corner.

Oh, yeah, for sure. Anytime someone says "pedestrians always have the right of way," I think "that must make dead pedestrians feel so much better."

angelatc
09-22-2013, 01:35 PM
If an ordinary citizen had done this, then they would get one heck of a lot worse than one day off of work.

Thats exactly what my husband said, and I agree. If I accidentally hit a cop who was riding his Segway across the street, I'd likely be facing prison time.

Brian4Liberty
09-22-2013, 01:54 PM
Thats exactly what my husband said, and I agree. If I accidentally hit a cop who was riding his Segway across the street, I'd likely be facing prison time.

Unless they sped up the video, he actually accelerated into the pedestrian after partially rounding the corner.

And the story would include: "The acceleration clearly shows intent to do maximum harm..."

Anti Federalist
09-22-2013, 02:02 PM

He didn't get out of his SUV and beat this foolish Mundane to a pulp for felony contempt of cop and assaulting a police vehicle.

Higher Standard.

Anti Federalist
09-22-2013, 02:05 PM

Pipe down Mundanes.

puppetmaster
09-22-2013, 02:50 PM
He didn't arrest the pedestrian?

No just heard they are now going to charge the pedestrian with assaulting an officer..

Anti Federalist
09-22-2013, 03:37 PM
No just heard they are now going to charge the pedestrian with assaulting an officer..

Quit Resisting! SMASH!

ObiRandKenobi
09-22-2013, 03:50 PM
i want to commend the officer for not beating the pedestrian for attacking his police car with his face.

asurfaholic
09-22-2013, 03:57 PM
I am just glad that no officers were hurt in this unfortunate turn of events. This clearly illustrates the dangerous nature of police work, and even more so serves to show how stressful the job can be. This brave officer was lucky he managed to stay clear from harm.

Carson
09-22-2013, 04:04 PM
My brother used to tell me, "Just because your in the right doesn't mean you can't get killed".

I never saw the pedestrian take a look back to make sure nothing was coming.

UWDude
09-22-2013, 04:14 PM
The seatbelt laws are there for your safety.

If you don't wear one, there is a chance you can be run over by a police officer, so buckle up.

Brian4Liberty
09-22-2013, 04:54 PM
My brother used to tell me, "Just because your in the right doesn't mean you can't get killed".

I never saw the pedestrian take a look back to make sure nothing was coming.

True, you should always look. But in this case, the pedestrian was pretty much past the initial point of looking. He was already pretty far out, and got clipped from behind by the outer edge of the SUV. Two more steps, he would have been completely clear of the path of the SUV.

Now you could say that the Police Chief did not yield to the next pedestrian that was walking and had the right of way. The Chief violated the law in addition to running someome over. Was there a citation written?