PDA

View Full Version : Explanation - Sorry for the TeaParty07.com downtime.

nathanielyao
11-28-2007, 02:55 PM
Hi Everyone,

Sorry about all the problems with the teaparty07 site. Just an explanation of what's going on for the techies and for the curious.

When we upgraded the plan for TeaParty07, the tech support at GoDaddy told us to change the nameservers and the A name. Unfortunately, they gave us instructions for domains that were bought with GoDaddy.

The domain was purchased at Yahoo. When the nameserver was changed, it was pointing to some dummy nameservers, so unfortunately, what was propagating was the domain name pointing to some black hole on the internet. Therefore the site started to go down for most people.

We finally caught the problem and pointed the domain to the correct nameservers. The site should be starting to come back online. Keep refreshing your browser to check every few hours or so. Our hope is that it propagates fast enough to make it for tonight's debate.

For those that it is down for, there is nothing we can do except to wait for it to propagate and point to the correct servers. When you get an error message, it is the domain pointing to the internet abyss.

Thank you all for your understanding and patience and sorry for the hiccups.

Nathaniel

Menthol Patch
11-28-2007, 02:59 PM
Every freaking few hours?

We need the site back up ASAP!

blackmouth
11-28-2007, 03:01 PM

Dude chill, propagation takes some time. All we can do is wait.

FYI, It's working for me in Manhattan.

davidhperry
11-28-2007, 03:02 PM

We should be glad it only takes this long - it used to take days.

jd603
11-28-2007, 03:02 PM
the name server have not been changed as of this minute from what they were 2 hours ago.

Edit: I am querying the internet root servers directly, and godaddy has not pushed to the root server yet, their systems may be delayed and when their batch runs they will hopefully update, maybe!

Server: a.gtld-servers.com
Address: 192.5.6.30#53

------------
QUESTIONS:
teaparty07.com, type = A, class = IN
ANSWERS:
AUTHORITY RECORDS:
-> teaparty07.com
nameserver = ns43.domaincontrol.com.
-> teaparty07.com
nameserver = ns44.domaincontrol.com.
ADDITIONAL RECORDS:
-> ns43.domaincontrol.com
internet address = 208.109.78.180
-> ns44.domaincontrol.com
internet address = 208.109.255.22
------------
Non-authoritative answer:
*** Can't find teaparty07.com: No answer

Hi Everyone,

Sorry about all the problems with the teaparty07 site. Just an explanation of what's going on for the techies and for the curious.

When we upgraded the plan for TeaParty07, the tech support at GoDaddy told us to change the nameservers and the A name. Unfortunately, they gave us instructions for domains that were bought with GoDaddy.

The domain was purchased at Yahoo. When the nameserver was changed, it was pointing to some dummy nameservers, so unfortunately, what was propagating was the domain name pointing to some black hole on the internet. Therefore the site started to go down for most people.

We finally caught the problem and pointed the domain to the correct nameservers. The site should be starting to come back online. Keep refreshing your browser to check every few hours or so. Our hope is that it propagates fast enough to make it for tonight's debate.

For those that it is down for, there is nothing we can do except to wait for it to propagate and point to the correct servers. When you get an error message, it is the domain pointing to the internet abyss.

Nathaniel

Menthol Patch
11-28-2007, 03:03 PM
We need to speed the propogation up! There must be some way to make this happen ASAP!

davidhperry
11-28-2007, 03:03 PM
It's working in Nashville on Comcast.

robert4rp08
11-28-2007, 03:04 PM
We need to speed the propogation up! There must be some way to make this happen ASAP!

Al Gore can make it happen.

robert4rp08
11-28-2007, 03:05 PM
By the way, the 1:6 ratio of pledges to visitors is interesting. I wonder what fraction of those 100k non-pledged visitors actually plan to donate, but just didn't want to register their email.

I think we're in for a nice surprise =D

john_anderson_ii

The only way to speed up DNS prorogation is to convince all the commercial ISPs of the world to clear this domain from their cache and refresh it from the root name servers.

It's working via Qwest in Phoenix, AZ.

davidhperry

There is some way. Hack into the 13 root DNS servers and modify them directly. You could also try to access all the DNS servers at every ISP on the Internet and refresh their cached DNS settings. Other than that, you have to wait.

Menthol Patch
11-28-2007, 03:06 PM
Seriously, how do these domain names propagate?

Can have the machines send out additional requests or messages to other machines to speed this up?

Menthol Patch
11-28-2007, 03:07 PM
There is some way. Hack into the 13 root DNS servers and modify them directly. You could also try to access all the DNS servers at every ISP on the Internet and refresh their cached DNS settings. Other than that, you have to wait.

No, obviously this is due to computers communicating with each other. Can we send additional messages to those root servers?

davidhperry
11-28-2007, 03:10 PM
Seriously, how do these domain names propagate?

Can have the machines send out additional requests or messages to other machines to speed this up?

No, the DNS info is cached at the local ISP to save bandwidth - they update every few hours to once a day (or more), depending on the ISP.

Read this (http://webhosting.devshed.com/c/a/Web-Hosting-Articles/What-is-DNS-propagation-and-why-does-it-take-so-long/) or that (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_name_system).

Patience grasshopper.

nathanielyao
11-28-2007, 03:10 PM
the name server have not been changed as of this minute from what they were 2 hours ago.

Edit: I am querying the internet root servers directly, and godaddy has not pushed to the root server yet, their systems may be delayed and when their batch runs they will hopefully update, maybe!

Server: a.gtld-servers.com
Address: 192.5.6.30#53

------------
QUESTIONS:
teaparty07.com, type = A, class = IN
ANSWERS:
AUTHORITY RECORDS:
-> teaparty07.com
nameserver = ns43.domaincontrol.com.
-> teaparty07.com
nameserver = ns44.domaincontrol.com.
ADDITIONAL RECORDS:
-> ns43.domaincontrol.com
internet address = 208.109.78.180
-> ns44.domaincontrol.com
internet address = 208.109.255.22
------------
Non-authoritative answer:
*** Can't find teaparty07.com: No answer

Previously, the domain was pointed to NS05 and NS06 which were dummy nameservers. They root servers will update soon. NS43 and NS44 are the actual nameservers for outside domains. It has started to work now, this is what DNSColos reports:

Category Status Test name Information
Parent Pass Parent nameservers teaparty07.com Your NS records at the parent server l.gtld-servers.net are:

ns43.domaincontrol.com [208.109.78.180]
ns44.domaincontrol.com [208.109.255.22]
Pass Nameservers for domain in DNS teaparty07.com Your NS records at your nameservers are:

ns43.domaincontrol.com [208.109.78.180]
ns44.domaincontrol.com [208.109.255.22]

SOA Pass SOA record for domain teaparty07.com Your SOA record is:
Primary nameserver: ns43.domaincontrol.com
Hostmaster E-mail address: dns.jomax.net
Serial #: 2007112700
Refresh: 28800
Retry: 7200
Expire: 604800
Default TTL: 86400
Info SOA Serial The SOA serial number is 2007112700. The preferred format is YYYYMMDDnn.
WWW Info record for www.teaparty07.com teaparty07.com A 68.178.254.39 TTL=[3600]
www.teaparty07.com CNAME teaparty07.com TTL=[3600]
Pass WWW IP is public WWW has public IP conform RFC 1918
Pass CNAME record for teaparty07.com CNAME records exists with a corresponding A record, wich is good
Info Webserver type (if available) for domain teaparty07.com

jd603
11-28-2007, 03:11 PM
Still down, no dns servers were updated, propagation has nothing to do with it at this point and Service Unavailable messages are still appearing intermittently.

dig @a.gtld-servers.com teaparty07.com

; <<>> DiG 9.3.2 <<>> @a.gtld-servers.com teaparty07.com
; (2 servers found)
;; global options: printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 62997
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;teaparty07.com. IN A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
teaparty07.com. 172800 IN NS ns43.domaincontrol.com.
teaparty07.com. 172800 IN NS ns44.domaincontrol.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
ns43.domaincontrol.com. 172800 IN A 208.109.78.180
ns44.domaincontrol.com. 172800 IN A 208.109.255.22

;; Query time: 48 msec
;; SERVER: 192.5.6.30#53(192.5.6.30)
;; WHEN: Wed Nov 28 16:09:53 2007
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 116

jd603
11-28-2007, 03:12 PM
dig @ns43.domaincontrol.com teaparty07.com

; <<>> DiG 9.3.2 <<>> @ns43.domaincontrol.com teaparty07.com
; (1 server found)
;; global options: printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 61244
;; flags: qr aa; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;teaparty07.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
teaparty07.com. 3600 IN A 68.178.254.39

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
teaparty07.com. 3600 IN NS ns43.domaincontrol.com.
teaparty07.com. 3600 IN NS ns44.domaincontrol.com.

;; Query time: 91 msec
;; SERVER: 208.109.78.180#53(208.109.78.180)
;; WHEN: Wed Nov 28 16:12:00 2007
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 100

Ok well the ip hasn't changed. ..and errors still showing up. I'm querying name servers directly here and bypassing any "propagation"

Previously, the domain was pointed to NS05 and NS06 which were dummy nameservers. They root servers will update soon. NS43 and NS44 are the actual nameservers for outside domains. It has started to work now, this is what DNSColos reports:

davidhperry
11-28-2007, 03:13 PM
One other thing, if they truly have everything pointed to where it needs to be, then the great majority of the propagation will be done in the next few hours. Most of the ISPs now update their DNS stuff pretty quick - especially the big ones that service a lot of people.

me3
11-28-2007, 03:15 PM
One other thing, if they truly have everything pointed to where it needs to be, then the great majority of the propagation will be done in the next few hours. Most of the ISPs now update their DNS stuff pretty quick - especially the big ones that service a lot of people.
QFT

davidhperry
11-28-2007, 03:15 PM
Still down, no dns servers were updated, propagation has nothing to do with it at this point and Service Unavailable messages are still appearing intermittently.

I've pulled up the site fine but I'm seeing this error sometimes too. It appears to me that there is a config problem on the local network and/or machine.

yongrel
11-28-2007, 03:17 PM
The Tubes are Clogged!

nathanielyao
11-28-2007, 03:19 PM
I've pulled up the site fine but I'm seeing this error sometimes too. It appears to me that there is a config problem on the local network and/or machine.

This is because some of servers have updates with the new nameserver information and some have not. The intermittent errors are from your computer requesting information from one of the servers of your ISP that has not yet updated.

The worst problem last time this happened was with Comcast. They were the last to update.

Eli
11-28-2007, 03:19 PM
Al Gore can make it happen.

Priceless!

jpinkerton
11-28-2007, 03:20 PM
Jesus Menthol Patch settle down.

Up for me in Cedar Rapids, IA - Qwest.

NerveShocker
11-28-2007, 03:26 PM
Interesting update. It still doesn't work normally for me in Chicago, IL. But can any1 explain why it works when I use this method then?
If TeaParty07.com is unavailable when you try to visit it go to the website sureproxy.com and scroll down to where it says Proxy and type in teaparty07.com. Then unselect all the boxes beneath the browse button except show URL entry form. Then click browse and the TeaParty07.com site should load!!

P.S. Sureproxy.com allowed me to open Teaparty07.com every time and it still wont load any other way.

nathanielyao
11-28-2007, 03:29 PM
Interesting update. It still doesn't work normally for me in Chicago, IL. But can any1 explain why it works when I use this method then?
If TeaParty07.com is unavailable when you try to visit it go to the website sureproxy.com and scroll down to where it says Proxy and type in teaparty07.com. Then unselect all the boxes beneath the browse button except show URL entry form. Then click browse and the TeaParty07.com site should load!!

P.S. Sureproxy.com allowed me to open Teaparty07.com every time and it still wont load any other way.

Sureproxy.com's servers have updated, but your ISPs have not.

Wayne Hammond
11-28-2007, 03:32 PM
Sureproxy.com's servers have updated, but your ISPs have not.

Nathaniel - what hosting plan is Trevor now using for the TeaParty07 server? Is this still on Godaddy's system (but just another server)?

Was he going to move it to another dedicated server, or is it now on the final one that we'll be using from here on out?

Is there still a limit on concurrent users?

Cowlesy
11-28-2007, 03:32 PM
Not working for me in NYC with TimeWarner, but apparently worked for someone else, odd.

Sey.Naci
11-28-2007, 03:39 PM

Tried that and still got 'service unavailable'. Am on the west coast.

NerveShocker
11-28-2007, 03:52 PM
Well I'm confused. All I know is if this isn't fixed everywhere by the debate then this is a HUGE disaster for our grassroots effort. Maybe next time we update a critically important website the day before a hugely important debate we will do it right...... -.-

blackmouth
11-28-2007, 03:55 PM
Not working for me in NYC with TimeWarner, but apparently worked for someone else, odd.

I'm on Speakeasy in NYC. I'll have to check my TimeWarner connection at home. If you do get service unavailable you'll need to refresh.

caradeporra
11-28-2007, 03:55 PM
By the way, the 1:6 ratio of pledges to visitors is interesting. I wonder what fraction of those 100k non-pledged visitors actually plan to donate, but just didn't want to register their email.

I think we're in for a nice surprise =D

Or what percentage plan to donate, but cant afford 100 dollars and therefore cant pledge...

akovacs
11-28-2007, 03:57 PM
It's working for me on Insight (Indiana). My university (Purdue) connection hasn't been updated yet though.

KewlRonduderules
11-28-2007, 03:58 PM
Nathaniel - what hosting plan is Trevor now using for the TeaParty07 server? Is this still on Godaddy's system (but just another server)?

Was he going to move it to another dedicated server, or is it now on the final one that we'll be using from here on out?

Is there still a limit on concurrent users?

I think these are very good questions. I would like to know as well.

thanks

ItsTime
11-28-2007, 03:58 PM
not working in New Hampshire

nathanielyao
11-28-2007, 05:25 PM
Bump for people coming home from work...

blackmouth
11-28-2007, 05:38 PM
I'm on Speakeasy in NYC. I'll have to check my TimeWarner connection at home. If you do get service unavailable you'll need to refresh.

Works from home and just in time!

NerveShocker
11-28-2007, 05:47 PM
Unfortunately, teaparty07.com still does not work for me in Chicago, IL. Others are having the same troubles in Chicago. Specifically people using Comcast, I'm not sure about other services. Hopefully this will be fixed everywhere before the debate starts.

Zym
11-28-2007, 05:53 PM
still nothing at all in WA state.

Debate coming up soon, if this is a domain issue, cant you make google point directly to the IP addy? instead of the domain name? what is the IP addy?

Quantumystic
11-28-2007, 06:01 PM
It keeps flip-loppin' here in Orlando, FL on BrightHouse Earthlink cable broadband.

nathanielyao
11-28-2007, 06:07 PM
Unfortunately, teaparty07.com still does not work for me in Chicago, IL. Others are having the same troubles in Chicago. Specifically people using Comcast, I'm not sure about other services. Hopefully this will be fixed everywhere before the debate starts.

Comcast seems to be the last ones to update their servers. If anyone has comcast, can you please give us a heads up when the site is working for you?

hard@work
11-28-2007, 06:17 PM
eh, tech happens.

jumpyg1258
11-28-2007, 06:45 PM
I use comcrap in burtonsville,md (DC area). I can access the site if I goto "teaparty07.com" but can not access it if I go to "www.teaparty07.com"

jjesusfreak01
11-28-2007, 10:50 PM
The only way to speed up DNS prorogation is to convince all the commercial ISPs of the world to clear this domain from their cache and refresh it from the root name servers.

Hmm, sounds like a potential money making service. Make an agreement with all of the commercial ISPs that for a set fee, they will reset the domain, then charge the people who need it fixed a set fee, and everything is back immediately.

RonPaulVolunteer
11-28-2007, 11:05 PM
Hi Everyone,

Nathaniel

Dude, just provide the IP address for the server...

For example, people can go to:
http://www.ronpaulvideopodcast.com/

or via IP they can go to:
http://70.86.215.76/~ronpaulv/

The IP address will ALWAYS work as it does not require name servers.

James R
11-28-2007, 11:35 PM
Hi Everyone,

Nathaniel

I don't think you guys should use GoDaddy for such an important website!

sharedvoice
11-28-2007, 11:46 PM
Not a big deal, usually takes less than 24hrs.

NerveShocker
11-29-2007, 01:58 PM
Well.. website still doesn't work for me.. and I'm beginning to doubt it ever will. I'm using Comcast and am in Chicago. I hear others using Comcast can get it to work so I doubt that is the problem. People keep saying try www.teaparty07.com or others say try it like this teaparty07.com. Umm, do you really think your helping? I ask because I don't believe you seriously think we haven't already tried everything to fix it. And that would be the FIRST thing we do... If you have useful advice that's appreciated but telling us to try that is a waste of a post and really an insult to our intelligence. Anyways I hope the solution is found soon as it does damage our efforts. Regardless, we need to donate to Ron Paul today and especially tomorrow! Mike Huckabee has been getting first class media treatment while ignoring his stances. Due to this ridiculous coverage his donations have gone up in the last few days. We have to raise more money in next few days to show who truly has the peoples support. Check out ronpaulgraphs.com we're on a roll right now add to the effort if you can!

smartbandwidth
11-29-2007, 04:57 PM
Still not working - going on 3+ days now - here in Chicago via comcast. What a nightmare!!

Drknows
11-29-2007, 05:00 PM
cant you change the service unavailable page so it redirects to something else?

ronpaul.in
11-29-2007, 05:08 PM
Service Unavailable ROADRUNNER in Tampa Florida

Perry
11-29-2007, 11:06 PM
Crimonies! Why doesn't everyone just redirect to the mirror site. The web address is of little importance.

jd603
11-29-2007, 11:07 PM
It's being advertised all over so the site does matter at this point.

I already have the thing mirrored, I just need lyman or whoever is managing it to make a quick change....... nobody is around for some reason.

AdamT
11-29-2007, 11:25 PM
Does not work here in central Wisconsin.

jake
11-30-2007, 12:08 AM
page not loading properly. :( this is really, really unfortunate

Pharoah
11-30-2007, 12:15 AM
Haven't all the videos been directing people to teaparty07.com? It is of *major* importance to get it working again. Still down, btw.

jd603
11-30-2007, 12:20 AM
FYI Trevor went with some other person/company. Lots of reports of down-time. So,,, just so everyone knows I have nothing to do with hosting any of his sites. so if there's issues it has nothing to do with ME.

I am backing away from the TRAINWRECK.

dmspilot00
11-30-2007, 12:37 AM
As a web developer and server tech, the explanation of the problem doesn't even make any sense. If you do not know what you are doing you should not have been the one to set up this site. And I can't believe it's being hosted at Godaddy, they are one of the worst providers you could have chosen.

jd603
11-30-2007, 12:41 AM
I DIDN'T DO IT! Not my trainwreck, I was only asking to clean up the mess and they wouldn't let me! LOL :D

As a web developer and server tech, the explanation of the problem doesn't even make any sense. If you do not know what you are doing you should not have been the one to set up this site. And I can't believe it's being hosted at Godaddy, they are one of the worst providers you could have chosen.

Energy
11-30-2007, 12:46 AM
Lesson for everyone: if you don't know how to do something, get qualified help.

vinwal
11-30-2007, 01:06 AM
I am hoping to scrape up enough funds to run the USA Today full page ad in a local paper. The Press of Atlantic City has a circulation of approx. 250,000. I was hoping to run this ad on either 12/13 or 12/14 thinking it would be very beneficial to the Tea Party. The ad promotes www.teaparty07.com. I sincerely hope there will be no problems with this site. I also have a chipin for this project if anyone would like to help out. I am currently in the process of establishing a PAC. Thanx in advance. http://fullpageronpaulad.chipin.com/mypages/view/id/b4e2b48728d76592

tsetsefly
11-30-2007, 03:08 AM
lets hope whoever made this site lets qualified people help!