PDA

View Full Version : This three minute commercial puts full-length Hollywood films to shame

donnay
09-19-2013, 11:47 PM
This three minute commercial puts full-length Hollywood films to shame

Neetzan Zimmerman
Gawker
Thu, 19 Sep 2013 16:14 CDT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPOVwKPMG8o

It certainly says something about the state of Hollywood today that a three minute ad produced at a fraction of the cost of most movies is more moving and poignant than almost anything the big studios have to offer.

The Thai telecommunications conglomerate True is getting rave reviews worldwide for its latest spot, "Giving," which tells the story of a man unexpectedly rewarded for a lifetime of good deeds he performed without expecting anything in return.

TrueMove too says it "believes in the power of giving without expecting a return."

Which would probably be more meaningful if they were to, say, give away their services and devices for free. Which they are not. But what the company lacks in commitment to its own philosophy, it more than makes up for in inspirational advertising.

Source:
http://gawker.com/this-three-minute-commercial-puts-full-length-hollywood-1309506149@trotter

donnay
09-20-2013, 06:39 AM
In light of all the cynicism, doom and gloom and utter bullshit going on I am going to bump this!

BlackTerrel
09-20-2013, 06:50 PM
Puts which movies to shame?

I'd argue this three minute commercial is better than 2 Fast 2 Furious but not as good as Fast 6.

enhanced_deficit
09-20-2013, 07:03 PM
That was good. Positive blowback.

Science, Bible agree: Giving is better - USATODAY.com (http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/science/2008-03-20-1815921487_x.htm)
The Bible counsels misers that it's better to give than to receive. Science agrees. People who made gifts to others or to charities reported they ...

ClydeCoulter
09-20-2013, 07:17 PM
I'm getting too old, my dang eyes started watering toward the end and I couldn't read the credits.

ObiRandKenobi
09-20-2013, 07:44 PM
i stopped after 10 seconds. looked boring.

cajuncocoa
09-20-2013, 08:19 PM
That was beautiful, donnay. Thanks for sharing!

MichaelDavis
09-20-2013, 08:33 PM

You sound like the type of person who's favorite move is "Transformers".

This is probably the best anti-ObamaCare advertisement I've seen. Compassion, not government.

AngryCanadian
09-20-2013, 08:37 PM
Wrong Message for a Mobile Phone but a very touching powerful message.

kcchiefs6465
09-20-2013, 09:24 PM
Chop it up. It can fit your agenda.

Carson
09-20-2013, 09:45 PM
Good story.

donnay
09-20-2013, 09:48 PM
I found this storyline inspirational and uplifting. It's true, we are definitely lacking any inspiration from Hollywood. :(

Carson
09-20-2013, 10:09 PM
I found this storyline inspirational and uplifting. It's true, we are definitely lacking any inspiration from Hollywood. :(

I remember way back when my generation seemed to gain control of the airwaves. We were the target group of the sponsors I suppose.

Now I'm really feeling the burn of a disconnect.

Actually it's been happening for a while for me. Not only do I not get the new shows, I don't even give them a chance. The bulk of what I'm comfortable with are the old movies and re-runs of programs of my youth.

In fact the whole planet has seemed to veer off in a direction that makes a saying I just heard come to mind;

"Have Gun - Will Travel: Saturday Night (#4.5)" (1960)

Paladin: He who takes the wrong road, makes the journey twice.

Oh man! I had to Google the quote to make sure I had it right. It turned out to be from one of my old shows where Paladin is always spouting off some poetry or quotes I never get. Go figure!

P.S. A term that comes to mind that I've been tripping on in relation to some of what I observe;

Mass hysteria (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_hysteria).

FSP-Rebel
09-21-2013, 12:15 PM

MelissaWV
09-21-2013, 12:19 PM
You sound like the type of person who's favorite move is "Transformers".

This is probably the best anti-ObamaCare advertisement I've seen. Compassion, not government.

More than that.

1. The child at the start was reprimanded, the person who was stolen from compensated, all voluntarily and without having to call in the police.
2. The insurance bill was taken care of without interference from the Government.
3. The daughter tried to settle the bill herself --- even if it meant having to sell the business, etc. --- rather than whine and come crawling to Government for help.
4. The father was allowed to give food to the homeless without fear of the cops coming in and arresting him for that.
5. There were no police swooping in to take care of the fact that the little boy was given medicine without a prescription.

I could go on, but in reality it's the fact that all the players in the story are humans and they took care of it themselves that is the most touching part.

Origanalist
09-21-2013, 12:59 PM
I'm getting too old, my dang eyes started watering toward the end and I couldn't read the credits.

Dammit. Me too, I hate it when that happens.

BlackTerrel
09-21-2013, 02:05 PM
Ok finally watched it. I admit pretty good.

Still like this one more. I may have cried once while watching it - won't admit either way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4vkVHijdQk