PDA

View Full Version : Bills Would Require Michiganders To Work For Welfare, Pass Drug Test

CaseyJones
09-19-2013, 11:20 AM
http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/09/18/bill-would-require-michiganders-to-work-for-welfare/

Could this mean the end of welfare as we know it?

A bill has passed in the Michigan Senate that would require those receiving public assistance to do some “volunteer” work. Another bill, which passed the House Commerce Committee, requires drug testing, revoking benefits for welfare recipients who refuse the test or who test positive.

“What [the legislation] does, it says, in order for your to receive your cash assistance, your welfare check, you must provide some kind of community service to the community,” said the volunteer work bill’s sponsor, State Senator Joe Hune, who represents Livingston and Shiawasse counties in Mid-Michigan.

Hune says he was inspired by a constituent who began to volunteer while on welfare — and that community service evolved into full employment.

kathy88
09-19-2013, 11:45 AM
Y u hate poor people? LOL. Comments and poll results are encouraging.

asurfaholic
09-19-2013, 12:20 PM
Good. Make them sweep the roads and piss in a cup. If your gonna take my money and give it to someone at least make sure they are not sitting at home playing video games and smoking dope all day.

I support.

FallOfTheWest
09-19-2013, 12:35 PM
I ask myself often why it was not like this since the very beginning. FFS they're getting free money. The very least they can do is do something beneficial to their community instead of staying home all day and doing nothing.

*Fingers crossed for this happening in California soon*

lol yeah right :/

phill4paul
09-19-2013, 12:41 PM
I have no problem with requiring community service. However, drug testing is proven to be costly and ineffectual. It just seems like an added tax payer expense to me.

As far as community service goes I hope the service is pointed directly at public service. Not "non-profit" companies that make a goodly amount of money like Goodwill Industries.

gwax23
09-19-2013, 12:47 PM
Good. But like another poster said, the fact it wasnt like this from the start is incredible.

Acala
09-19-2013, 12:50 PM
They should make bankers do the same.

tod evans
09-19-2013, 12:56 PM
Now if they'll shit-can the state workers and replace them with the welfare queens they'd stand a chance of balancing their budget..

puppetmaster
09-19-2013, 01:04 PM
I have no problem with requiring community service. However, drug testing is proven to be costly and ineffectual. It just seems like an added tax payer expense to me.

As far as community service goes I hope the service is pointed directly at public service. Not "non-profit" companies that make a goodly amount of money like Goodwill Industries. it is not required....only if you want free stuff

tod evans
09-19-2013, 01:07 PM
it is not required....only if you want free stuff

But, but...........Then it's no longer free stuff...

Just like a government job, free healthcare/food and housing are the benefits to compensate for the low wages...

From each according to his ability, to each according to his need

Seems like I've heard that before.

aGameOfThrones
09-19-2013, 01:19 PM
Hune says he was inspired by a constituent who began to volunteer while on welfare — and that community service evolved into full employment.

Wait, he was on gov welfare and now has a gov job? Is it a private job?

tod evans
09-19-2013, 01:20 PM
Wait, he was on gov welfare and now has a gov job? Is it a private job?

ROTFLMAO!