PDA

View Full Version : Cigarette Nazis grant reprieve

tod evans
09-19-2013, 05:42 AM
Unbelievable!

WWII ‘hero’ can stay in apartment after being caught smoking

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/18/wwii-hero-can-stay-in-apartment-after-being-caught-smoking/?intcmp=latestnews

A 90-year-old disabled World War II veteran who picked up smoking during his service, during a time the army gave him free cigarettes, will not be kicked out of his housing complex for violating its no-smoking policy.
The Hartford Courant reported Wednesday that Andy Nowicki, the veteran who was caught red-handed smoking in the breezeway of his apartment at Cedar Village, will be able to stay there with his wife who has advanced Alzheimer's disease.
"I think today common sense prevailed," State Senator Paul Doyle told the paper. "This should have happened months ago. This guy is a true American hero."
Under the terms of the agreement, the Newington Housing Authority will make Nowicki's apartment more handicapped accessible. Volunteers will also build an awning for Nowicki, who was injured twice during WWII and partially disabled, so he could smoke outside in poor weather, the report said.
Just over a year ago, smoking rules at the housing authority banned smoking inside its apartments and no less than 10 feet from an apartment window, the report said.

MRK
09-19-2013, 07:13 AM
Unbelievable!

WWII ‘hero’ can stay in apartment after being caught smoking

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/18/wwii-hero-can-stay-in-apartment-after-being-caught-smoking/?intcmp=latestnews

A 90-year-old disabled World War II veteran who picked up smoking during his service, during a time the army gave him free cigarettes, will not be kicked out of his housing complex for violating its no-smoking policy.
The Hartford Courant reported Wednesday that Andy Nowicki, the veteran who was caught red-handed smoking in the breezeway of his apartment at Cedar Village, will be able to stay there with his wife who has advanced Alzheimer's disease.
"I think today common sense prevailed," State Senator Paul Doyle told the paper. "This should have happened months ago. This guy is a true American hero."
Under the terms of the agreement, the Newington Housing Authority will make Nowicki's apartment more handicapped accessible. Volunteers will also build an awning for Nowicki, who was injured twice during WWII and partially disabled, so he could smoke outside in poor weather, the report said.
Just over a year ago, smoking rules at the housing authority banned smoking inside its apartments and no less than 10 feet from an apartment window, the report said.

I was in a fraternity in college. One weekend we had an alumni weekend where the alumnus would come and revisit the house.

We had a no smoking policy. That weekend a 80 or 90 year old alumnus came to the house to check things out. He was chainsmoking throughout the house. It went without saying he had immunity from whatever policids we had. We gave mad respect for him for coming out in the first place.

phill4paul
09-19-2013, 07:25 AM
A 90 year old smoker? I don't believe it. The cigarette Nazi's have assured me that even second hand smoke will kill you in a matter of seconds.

tod evans
09-19-2013, 07:32 AM
A 90 year old smoker? I don't believe it. The cigarette Nazi's have assured me that even second hand smoke will kill you in a matter of seconds.

My grandma on Dads side smoked 2 packs a day and drank whiskey every night up through her 90's....

angelatc
09-19-2013, 08:56 AM
When I was either an old teen or a young adult, i read a Dear Abby letter from a woman who was upset that her MiL was coming to visit. The old woman had health problems, and the wife knew she was going to smoke in the house. Dear Abby said Oh for heavens sakes - let her smoke.

I couldn't believe the grief she got over that. I mean, this was during the time when we could still smoke in movie theaters and elevators.

kathy88
09-19-2013, 10:22 AM
My grandma on Dads side smoked 2 packs a day and drank whiskey every night up through her 90's....

Grammy smoked 2 packs unfiltered a day. Lived to 99. She also ate all the fat everyone didn't want and poured bacon grease on her pancakes.

acptulsa
09-19-2013, 10:30 AM
I was in a fraternity in college. One weekend we had an alumni weekend where the alumnus would come and revisit the house.

We had a no smoking policy. That weekend a 80 or 90 year old alumnus came to the house to check things out. He was chainsmoking throughout the house. It went without saying he had immunity from whatever policids we had. We gave mad respect for him for coming out in the first place.

Old folks are held immune from some ninety percent of the invasive and draconian crap being shoved down the throats of the rest of us. It isn't hard to see why. Old people vote, and if they were subject to the same crap younger people are swallowing, they would fire everyone in Washington--down to the Sergeant at Arms in the rotunda.

I wish old folks would see what's happening to their children and grandchildren in terms of their freedoms and take an interest. But, you know, the neo-Nazis infesting Washington understand Twain's Axiom--everyone agrees that nothing needs reforming so much as other people's habits. So, we'll all accept all the totalitarian dictas they can dream up--as long as we think we are personally exempt.

...packs unfiltered...

Granny's smart. Everyone hears 'unfiltered' and thinks, oh, hard core! But you can puff on an unfiltered cigarette. With a filter, if you don't draw the smoke deep into your lungs you don't get any smoke (and nicotine) whatsoever.

Hard core smokers, to my mind, smoke ultra lights. They have to suck down--deep--three packs to get half the nicotine that an unfiltered smoke can deliver without ever even touching your lungs. You don't see smokers of unfiltered cigarettes sucking down three and four packs, and you don't see them sucking on the tips of their cigarettes like they're trying to get a syphon going.

Faster than a well-driven golf ball on the head, according to one PDA I saw. But, of course, I have long known that stands for Propagandistic $#!+ Announcement.

I swear we could defang this whole totalitarian movement by the fedgov if we could just teach people how to think in shades of gray again. Nothing in this mortal world is purely good or purely evil, but no one seems to be able to think in any other terms any more. The public schools teach only good vs. bad, the government only speaks in those same terms, and while 'less evil vs. more evil' are the only terms that are actually realistic, few can wrap their propaganda-addled brains around the concept these days.