PDA

View Full Version : Pro-Liberty States?

Tywysog Cymru
09-17-2013, 07:56 PM
Which states are the most liberty-minded?

I'm thinking of Kentucky as being up there, as it has Rand Paul, Thomas Massie, and over 12% voted for Ron in 2012 the primary even though by then Romney had been the clear winner for over 2 months. This is a higher percentage than in Florida and Colorado which were much earlier contests.

New Hampshire has the Free-State Project, but then they elect people like Ayotte which makes you wonder...

I've heard Rhode Island is the most anti-liberty state.

What are other bastions of freedom and the constitution?

Sola_Fide
09-17-2013, 08:17 PM
I think Indiana is more free and fiscally with it than Kentucky. I've lived in both recently. I do think Kentucky is one of the most beautiful states in the country, weather is the best, and the low crime is nice.

James Madison
09-17-2013, 08:33 PM
I live in southern Indiana. It's alright. ;)

Sola_Fide
09-17-2013, 08:42 PM
I live in southern Indiana. It's alright. ;)

Me too.

invisible
09-17-2013, 09:41 PM
NH and OK are pretty much head and shoulders above the rest. However, they are very different places, and each has it's own advantages and disadvantages. The "liberty movement" is strong in both places. One or the other may be better for you personally, depending on your personal circumstances. See the other recent thread on this from a few months back.

Antischism
09-17-2013, 09:49 PM
New York, because we have the Statue of Liberty. Obviously.

'Merica!

I<3Liberty
09-17-2013, 10:36 PM
^ NOOO! Pennsylvania, because we have the liberty bell. :D

Antischism
09-17-2013, 10:43 PM
^ NOOO! Pennsylvania, because we have the liberty bell. :D

Fine, we can split this evenly and tie for first... in the name of equality!

BuddyRey
09-17-2013, 11:11 PM
When it comes to true, practicable freedom, I don't think there's anything that beats the Mountain and inland West. When you're living in a state like Wyoming, where there are more cowpies than cops (but perhaps I repeat myself), they can write all the stupid nanny laws they want, but good luck trying to enforce them.

Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota, North Dakota, and *parts* of Colorado are about as sweet as it gets. Of course, as an Easterner, I imagine it can get lonely living out there, but sadly, as Boston T. Party pointed out in "Molon Labe", population density seems to run almost directly inverse to individual liberty as a general rule.

A good panacea for loneliness might be to find three or four other libertarian families to start a settlement with in the west. I hesitate to use the word "commune" for obvious reasons, but let's just call it an intentional community.

Nastynate
09-17-2013, 11:58 PM
Fine, we can split this evenly and tie for first... in the name of equality!

Why don't you meet in the middle, New Jersey!

09-18-2013, 05:47 AM
It's good here in Maine. Ron almost won the primary with 36%. We have a good governor who's done a lot. He even refused to go to the RNC after the delegate screw job. There is plenty of open space to live, huge state with only 1.3 million. We have gay marriage, medical pot. Nobody will bother you if you don't bother them. Cost of housing is very low. It's the oldest, whitest state in the country, which means not a whole lot happens and little crime.

Tywysog Cymru
09-18-2013, 06:05 AM
I think Indiana is more free and fiscally with it than Kentucky. I've lived in both recently. I do think Kentucky is one of the most beautiful states in the country, weather is the best, and the low crime is nice.

I live in Thomas Massie's district and Rand Paul is wildly popular here, even some Democrats admire him. Fiscally, Kentucky isn't that great because we have high poverty and the local Democrat Party won't go down without a fight, the old people still think highly of them.

When it comes to true, practicable freedom, I don't think there's anything that beats the Mountain and inland West. When you're living in a state like Wyoming, where there are more cowpies than cops (but perhaps I repeat myself), they can write all the stupid nanny laws they want, but good luck trying to enforce them.

Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota, North Dakota, and *parts* of Colorado are about as sweet as it gets. Of course, as an Easterner, I imagine it can get lonely living out there, but sadly, as Boston T. Party pointed out in "Molon Labe", population density seems to run almost directly inverse to individual liberty as a general rule.

I'm pretty much a city boy, but the country isn't that bad, I've got relatives in Kansas who live in a small agricultural town and its fine. There isn't a whole lot to do, however, so they pretty much just watch TV, hunt, and compete in shooting competitions. I could live in Wyoming in one of the larger cities. My ideal climate is the Pacific Northwest, but they've got screwed up views on government:(.

A good panacea for loneliness might be to find three or four other libertarian families to start a settlement with in the west. I hesitate to use the word "commune" for obvious reasons, but let's just call it an intentional community.

Well, I haven't even gone to college yet, and I'm not likely to live very far from where I go Law School. I really would like to be part of a free state project, but I've got other concerns as well.

fr33
09-18-2013, 06:34 AM
Your state of mind.

milgram
09-18-2013, 02:24 PM
I'm not a fan of Oklahoma's prohibitively burdensome ballot access laws. They seem to be the most difficult state for third party candidates to get on the ballot - no Gary Johnson in 2012, no Ralph Nader in 2000.

WM_in_MO
09-18-2013, 02:53 PM
Specifically St Charles County, MO. We took the county for Ron Paul two elections ins a row.

BuddyRey
09-18-2013, 03:20 PM
Specifically St Charles County, MO. We took the county for Ron Paul two elections ins a row.

I've never been to Missouri, but I got the impression things were pretty bad there, especially with those infamous SWAT raids in Columbia. Has that problem been exaggerated?

presence
09-18-2013, 03:28 PM
If I were relocating I'd be more concerned what county I was moving to than what state.

St Louis Co MO vs Ozark Co

Atlantic Co NJ vs Sussex Co

Los Angeles Co CA vs Humbolt Co

Nassau Co NY vs Otsego Co

Dade Co FL vs Highland Co

etc etc.