PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Alexis: Washington navy yard gunman 'obsessed with violent video games'

fearthereaperx
09-17-2013, 03:05 PM
Exclusive: The Washington Navy Yard gunman Aaron Alexis played violent video games including Call of Duty for up to 16 hours at a time and friends believe it could have pushed him towards becoming a mass murderer.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/10314585/Aaron-Alexis-Washington-navy-yard-gunman-obsessed-with-violent-video-games.html

ClydeCoulter
09-17-2013, 03:08 PM
Now most of our children (and many of us) need to have our guns taken away, violent video games have destroyed our sense of reality. /sarc
But, I saw it on the Movies.

Patient: Doctor, my tummy hurts.
Doctor: Hmmm, do you play video games, like COD or Battlefield?
Patient: Yes, but my tummy hurts bad.
NSA: Put ze patient on ze list.
[/I]

fearthereaperx
09-17-2013, 03:09 PM
His friends are partly right. Killing hundred's of virtual people for 16 hours straight can have a negative psychological effect on the person.

fearthereaperx
09-17-2013, 03:10 PM
Now most of our children (and many of us) need to have our guns taken away, violent video games have destroyed our sense of reality. /sarc
But, I saw it on the Movies.

Patient: Doctor, my tummy hurts.
Doctor: Hmmm, do you play video games, like COD or Battlefield?

They don't destroy, they diminish your sense of reality.

Athan
09-17-2013, 03:44 PM
His friends are partly right. Killing hundred's of virtual people for 16 hours straight can have a negative psychological effect on the person.
Nice sarcasm. But lets shed some actual perspective on the issue.

1. Most gamers really can't do 16 hours straight. I myself have done 12 hours straight and it is too much with out some sort of "party" of gamers there doing a marathon in which it was pre-planned with food and drinks and RESTROOM breaks in between. The length of time doesn't effect your psychological behavior. You already HAVE psychological problems to begin with at that point such as perhaps autism if he actually did do 16 hours straight. The violent video games aren't going to be that graphic either. It isn't like you are watching the Dagestan massacre on liveleak for 16 hours straight. It is just a game with a minor and quick death animation. A game that has only limited amounts of animation for "death" scenes. It is not a story scene animation for instance that is focused on graphics and part of a larger cinematic that is largely removed from the playing section. It is a quick rendering of a death animation triggered by a programmed physics algorythm. You died, try again, here let us put a quick loading screen, and your back.

2. NEVER give up any rights and attack a portion of them. Be it your second or first amendment enumerated rights, and etc. Just because you want to protect the second, don't attack someone's first amendment rights who haven't done ANYTHING to promote the attack. Gamers will backlash against supporters of the 2nd amendment. Instead DEFEND the gamer and point out the fact that the charge against video game violence was clearly NOT a contributer. I say this as a gamer (at least I was till I became a dad) and we are close nit as a the Daily Paul user base with the Ron Paul Forums user base. The enemy is the media, the politicians, the corporations, and their lobbyiers.

3. Don't listen to reporters. Seriously, the charge is stupid and propagated by "reporters" who dont know their "clips" from their magazines, "High capacity" from their "standard capacity", their "bullet proof vests" from a "tactical vest/plate carrier platform" (which of course almost never has an actual fucking Class I-IV armor types), and the sure as hell don't know their assault rifles from their semi-auto, their military style from their civilian made gun with no RDIAS sears.

These people are fucking idiots. Idiots that clearly have to backtrack because CNN said they used an AR-15 when they did even fully verify if in fact he used an AR-15. These people don't know anything about foreign policy that their puppet masters don't tell them to think about, they don't know anything about economics monetary policy that their puppet masters don't tell them to think about, they simply just don't know SHIT. All they have is an agenda and of course the ability to read a telepromter. Do you really think these buttfucks know ANYTHING about psychological diagnosis? No they find a doctor that will make their story sound the way they want. If a doctor says, no why would video games be the cause? They will call someone else. Hell they will even put a quack that wants publicity.

And remind them of that fact EVERY FUCKING TIME they open the orfice on their face that they mistake for their asshole. "You don't know shit presstitute" should be the first thing you say about a story on mainstream news outlets. Hell media news is probably more to blame than violent video games.

dannno
09-17-2013, 04:03 PM

Um, no, studies show that violent video games decrease desire to commit actual violence.

dannno
09-17-2013, 04:05 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?425870-New-Study-Video-Games-Do-Not-Increase-Teen-Violence

Cabal
09-17-2013, 04:09 PM
This guy appears to have a well-documented history of violent behavior. The suggestion that video games are any sort of significant cause is patently absurd.

fearthereaperx
09-17-2013, 04:11 PM
Um, no, studies show that violent video games decrease desire to commit actual violence.

So, there would be more mass shooting events if violent video games weren't around?

Thor
09-17-2013, 04:13 PM
wait... violent video games mixed with mind altering big pharma mental health drugs.... where have I heard this before?

fearthereaperx
09-17-2013, 04:14 PM
This guy appears to have a well-documented history of violent behavior. The suggestion that video games are any sort of significant cause is patently absurd.

how is it absurd?

Anders Breivik

Adam Lanza

Aurora Shooter

Jared Loughner

Virginia Tech Shooter

and now..Aaron Alexis

All the recent mass shooter were obsessed with violent shoot-em up video games.

It's highly disingenous to say that it's simply a coincidence or irrelevant correlation.

JK/SEA
09-17-2013, 04:18 PM
gee, hard to believe there's violence in the world...when did this all start?

matt0611
09-17-2013, 04:18 PM
how is it absurd?

Anders Breivik

Adam Lanza

Aurora Shooter

Jared Loughner

Virginia Tech Shooter

and now..Aaron Alexis

Cause or correlation though?

Thor
09-17-2013, 04:23 PM
how is it absurd?

Anders Breivik

Adam Lanza

Aurora Shooter

Jared Loughner

Virginia Tech Shooter

and now..Aaron Alexis

It's highly disingenous to say that it's simply a coincidence or irrelevant correlation.

And can we cross reference the list with the ones on big pharma drugs for "mental issues" like depression, mood swings, etc...

fearthereaperx
09-17-2013, 04:25 PM
And can we cross reference the list with the ones on big pharma drugs for "mental issues" like depression, mood swings, etc...

sure. I believe it's a cocktail of negative influences that play a part in a mass shooting event.

Thor
09-17-2013, 04:28 PM
sure. I believe it's a cocktail of negative influences that play a part in a mass shooting event.

I wouldn't say that the mental pills are just an "influence"... but maybe a behavior modification with side effects is more appropriate...

Antischism
09-17-2013, 04:30 PM
how is it absurd?

Anders Breivik

Adam Lanza

Aurora Shooter

Jared Loughner

Virginia Tech Shooter

and now..Aaron Alexis

They all owned/had access to guns, so guns are bad. See how easy that is? What would you say to someone who told you owning a gun or being around guns made people more likely to act on their anger by killing others with it? That owning a gun made people think about acting out and shooting others due to curiosity? This is like the other side of the same coin.

You can't just blame things because you want a scapegoat or you personally don't like it. There's no scientific evidence at all to back your assertion, rather, to the contrary. You don't blame the gun, you don't blame the video games, you don't blame the music. It's a lazy way of trying to tackle the issue or make sense of a tragedy.

dannno
09-17-2013, 04:32 PM
So, there would be more mass shooting events if violent video games weren't around?

Everything else equal, if there were no alternatives in place like paintball and lazer guns, etc, then I suppose so, yes. But the causes would be psychotropic drugs and MKULTRA style events staged by government agents just like it is today.

tod evans
09-17-2013, 04:35 PM
Considering that the vast majority of kids sit in front of a game console several hours every week if this hooey were really a factor there'd be lots more violence than what's reported..

Flipped out young guys ain't nuthin' new...I'd imagine there's more simply because there are more people...

dannno
09-17-2013, 04:35 PM
how is it absurd?

Anders Breivik

Adam Lanza

Aurora Shooter

Jared Loughner

Virginia Tech Shooter

and now..Aaron Alexis

It's even more highly disingenuous to say that a person who would consider shooting up a school would not be into violent video games.

dannno
09-17-2013, 04:36 PM
how is it absurd?

Anders Breivik

Adam Lanza

Aurora Shooter

Jared Loughner

Virginia Tech Shooter

and now..Aaron Alexis

Tell me which of those on that list were not on psychotropic drugs.

dannno
09-17-2013, 04:39 PM
Tell me which of those on that list were not on psychotropic drugs.

After you do that - get a list of all of the other violent mass killing shooters who weren't obsessed with violent video games and make me a list of those who were not on psychotropic drugs.

I wanna see if you can get a list at least one name long, I'd be fucking surprised.

Thor
09-17-2013, 04:41 PM
After you do that - get a list of all of the other violent mass killing shooters who weren't obsessed with violent video games and make me a list of those who were not on psychotropic drugs.

I wanna see if you can get a list at least one name long, I'd be fucking surprised.

Shhhh.... big pharma goons are gonna come knocking on your door.

tod evans
09-17-2013, 04:41 PM

Out to the yard Bubs!

The reprogramming drone has been dispatched...

presence
09-17-2013, 04:51 PM
Everything else equal, if there were no alternatives in place like paintball and lazer guns, etc, then I suppose so, yes. But the causes would be psychotropic drugs and MKULTRA style events staged by government agents just like it is today.

"Addiction to violent games" (programming), mental disorder, likely treated w/ psychotropic drugs, I got a dual personality MKULTRA vibe out of this too; and then the syncronicity of Zawahiri calling for "lone wolf attacks" (trigger).

Cutlerzzz
09-17-2013, 05:00 PM
how is it absurd?

Anders Breivik

Adam Lanza

Aurora Shooter

Jared Loughner

Virginia Tech Shooter

and now..Aaron Alexis

You realize that virtually all boys and young men play video games? It would be difficult to find any five randomly selected young men who don't play video games.

AngryCanadian
09-17-2013, 05:12 PM
They don't destroy, they diminish your sense of reality.

Well Video Games have helped me in my case of post war stress as a war survivor. Its pretty clear these false flags are aims on banning video games. Something in which Hillary Clinton always wanted.

fearthereaperx
09-17-2013, 05:19 PM
You realize that virtually all boys and young men play video games? It would be difficult to find any five randomly selected young men who don't play video games.

Violent video games. Virtually all boys and young men played video games in the 80's and early 90's. Except we didn't have an epidemic of mass shootings back then because all the games were no where near as realistic, violent and uninspiring as they are now.

Cutlerzzz
09-17-2013, 05:22 PM
Violent video games. Virtually all boys and young men played video games in the 80's and early 90's. Except we didn't have an epidemic of mass shootings back then because all the games were no where near as realistic, violent and uninspiring as they are now.

The games most people play are violent games. It is almost impossible to find any five young men in that age group that don't play violent games.

aGameOfThrones
09-17-2013, 05:30 PM
Exclusive: The Washington Navy Yard gunman Aaron Alexis played violent video games including Call of Duty for up to 16 hours at a time and friends believe it could have pushed him towards becoming a mass murderer.

War wasn't enough.

fearthereaperx
09-17-2013, 05:30 PM
They all owned/had access to guns, so guns are bad. See how easy that is? What would you say to someone who told you owning a gun or being around guns made people more likely to act on their anger by killing others with it? That owning a gun made people think about acting out and shooting others due to curiosity? This is like the other side of the same coin.

You can't just blame things because you want a scapegoat or you personally don't like it. There's no scientific evidence at all to back your assertion, rather, to the contrary. You don't blame the gun, you don't blame the video games, you don't blame the music. It's a lazy way of trying to tackle the issue or make sense of a tragedy.

They all owned/ had access to cars[guns], so cars[guns] are bad. See how wrong comparing apples(guns and cars) to oranges(violent video games) is? Cars and guns represent accessibility-- not the will-- to commit these acts; it does not confront the deeply rooted psychological problems of an individual such as motive and determination, or desensitization(violent video games) etc.

Removing the Gun and car variable doesn't remove the will to commit such atrocities.

torchbearer
09-17-2013, 05:34 PM
how is it absurd?

Anders Breivik

Adam Lanza

Aurora Shooter

Jared Loughner

Virginia Tech Shooter

and now..Aaron Alexis

How many people bought Call of Duty Black Ops?
How many of those people went on a shooting spree?
no correlation is irrelevant.

fearthereaperx
09-17-2013, 05:34 PM
The games most people play are violent games. It is almost impossible to find any five young men in that age group that don't play violent games.

You're proving my point.

fearthereaperx
09-17-2013, 05:38 PM
How many people bought Call of Duty Black Ops?
How many of those people went on a shooting spree?
no correlation is irrelevant.

How many people bought Super Mario Brothers? How many of those people went on a shooting spree in the 80's early 90's?

torchbearer
09-17-2013, 05:38 PM
I studied social statistics and how they are measured,
the number of people who play violent games(even obsessively) with the number of those people who then go on to act out that violence in real life is so far below even 1/10000th of one percent.. that it makes anyone who says there is a correlation between the two seem stupid.
there is more of a correlation with the increase of beef sells in india to the number of violent crimes in america than there is between video game and homicide.

torchbearer
09-17-2013, 05:39 PM
How many people bought Super Mario Brothers? How many of those people went on a shooting spree?

exactly.
now you are getting the picture.
no amount of turtlecide can turn a normal person violent.

fearthereaperx
09-17-2013, 05:40 PM
exactly.

Except we didn't have an epidemic of mass shootings in the 80's or early 90's.

Feeding the Abscess
09-17-2013, 05:42 PM
How many people bought Super Mario Brothers? How many of those people went on a shooting spree in the 80's early 90's?

Violent crime was higher then than it is now. What's your point?

torchbearer
09-17-2013, 05:44 PM

how many gun free zones and suicide pills did we have?

torchbearer
09-17-2013, 05:46 PM
If violent games, made kids act out that violence on others, we'd have a war zone in every school.

phill4paul
exactly.

I dunno 'bout dat... :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi73d0eevKM

fearthereaperx
I studied social statistics and how they are measured,
the number of people who play violent games(even obsessively) with the number of those people who then go on to act out that violence in real life is so far below even 1/10000th of one percent.. that it makes anyone who says there is a correlation between the two seem stupid.
there is more of a correlation with the increase of beef sells in india to the number of violent crimes in america than there is between video game and homicide.

That's an improper way to measure and to conclude what are the variables resulting in mass shooting events. The formula simply doesn't work here which is why the Phds can't crack the code.

phill4paul
09-17-2013, 05:47 PM

Exactly. +Rep.

Cutlerzzz
09-17-2013, 05:50 PM
You're proving my point.

You realize the murder rate has plummeted, starting in the early 90s?

fearthereaperx
09-17-2013, 05:50 PM

Never said they didn't play a part, in fact I've said on the first page: "I believe it's a cocktail of negative influences that drive people to do these things"

torchbearer
09-17-2013, 05:51 PM
That's an improper way to measure and to conclude what are the variables resulting in mass shooting events. The formula simply doesn't work here which is why the Phds can't crack the code.

improper way?
now you must show how its imporer, and what would be the proper way.
what formula?
what code?

If you were telling me aspirin was the cause of people going on shooting sprees.. you'd have to show the number of people consuming aspirin, and show a good portion of them going on shooting sprees...
I bet everyone one of these psychos had taken aspirin at some point.
it must be the aspirin.

fearthereaperx
09-17-2013, 05:53 PM
You realize the murder rate has plummeted, starting in the early 90s?

Apples and oranges. Murder rate and Mass shooting events.

Cutlerzzz
09-17-2013, 06:09 PM
You're right. A few isolated shootings aren't anywhere near as significant as the over all murder rate which has plummeted.

Brian4Liberty
09-17-2013, 06:15 PM
wait... violent video games mixed with mind altering big pharma mental health drugs.... where have I heard this before?

Most of these mass shootings.

Very likely a variety of contributing factors.

Mass killings have always happened. Guns are not a new development. Paranoid schizophrenia is not a new development. Video games, SSRIs and the internet are relatively new. If there is an increase, you would have to look at what has changed. Besides coincidence, is there a cause and effect? You could say that games and the Internet could influence someone, but would that actually cause someone to "go postal"? Possibly if they are right on the edge.

Much more likely are the SSRIs, which directly effect brain chemistry. This is a medical issue more than anything. And doctors who just throw prescriptions at people and never follow-up are the most to blame. The medical professional needs new guidelines. Prescribing SSRIs needs to be different than other drugs.

I'm no Doctor, but I would also suggest that perhaps paranoid schizophrenics and their families need to be advised that when taking SSRIs, they should not have guns or play violent video games. This would be medical advise, not a new law or regulation. And they should very strongly and repeatedly tell the patients that if they have any thoughts of hurting themselves or others, SSRIs are not for them.

The medicial situation of "here, take these, come back next year" has to change. Maybe Obamacare will fix this... :rolleyes:

fearthereaperx
09-17-2013, 06:33 PM
improper way?
now you must show how its imporer, and what would be the proper way.
what formula?
what code?

If you were telling me aspirin was the cause of people going on shooting sprees.. you'd have to show the number of people consuming aspirin, and show a good portion of them going on shooting sprees...
I bet everyone one of these psychos had taken aspirin at some point.
it must be the aspirin.

It's not one thing that leads people to commit these actions. That's the point. Narrow it down to 4 or 5 things. violent video games(desensitization), prescription medicine(behavior modification), ego/self-importance, anger issues, no girl-friend, isolation, uncaring Fathers, uninspiring music etc.

There's nothing positive, constructive or inspiring surrounding these people's lives. They're locked in their own mental prison. And, for a lot of them, suicide by cop is the only way out.

FindLiberty
09-17-2013, 06:37 PM
If only those violent video games could hold a person's interest for MORE than 16 hours per day...

Keep in mind, it's not a bad start if they actually help keep the public safe 16/24ths of the time
by keeping any potentially violent crazies busy, playing harmless games for MOST of each 24 hour day!

By my calculations, after one takes into account eating or sleeping (by the would-be violent crazy person),
24-16=8hrs remain. Those 8 hours get used up eating, resting or maybe an IRL murderous rampage here or there.

IMO, those violent video games actually keep us all safe pretty much 100% of the time.

Thor
09-17-2013, 06:41 PM
If only those violent video games could hold a person's interest for MORE than 16 hours per day...

Keep in mind, it's not a bad start if they actually help keep the public safe 16/24ths of the time
by keeping any potentially violent crazies busy, playing harmless games for MOST of each 24 hour day!

By my calculations, after one takes into account eating or sleeping (by the would-be violent crazy person),
24-16=8hrs remain. Those 8 hours get used up eating, resting or maybe an IRL murderous rampage here or there.

IMO, those violent video games actually keep us all safe pretty much 100% of the time.

Welcome to the matrix....

Philhelm
09-17-2013, 06:42 PM

But cruelty against turtles had skyrocketed.

fearthereaperx
09-17-2013, 06:42 PM

Mass killings have always happened. Guns are not a new development. Paranoid schizophrenia is not a new development. Video games, SSRIs and the internet are relatively new. If there is an increase, you would have to look at what has changed. Besides coincidence, is there a cause and effect? You could say that games and the Internet could influence someone, but would that actually cause someone to "go postal"? Possibly if they are right on the edge.

Much more likely are the SSRIs, which directly effect brain chemistry. This is a medical issue more than anything. And doctors who just throw prescriptions at people and never follow-up are the most to blame. The medical professional needs new guidelines. Prescribing SSRIs needs to be different than other drugs.

I'm no Doctor, but I would also suggest that perhaps paranoid schizophrenics and their families need to be advised that when taking SSRIs, they should not have guns or play violent video games. This would be medical advise, not a new law or regulation. And they should very strongly and repeatedly tell the patients that if they have any thoughts of hurting themselves or others, SSRIs are not for them.

The medicial situation of "here, take these, come back next year" has to change. Maybe Obamacare will fix this... :rolleyes:

Exactly. That's how we should study this.

Cabal
09-17-2013, 07:54 PM
how is it absurd?

Anders Breivik

Adam Lanza

Aurora Shooter

Jared Loughner

Virginia Tech Shooter

and now..Aaron Alexis

The theory you're clinging to is basically that violent video games cause violent behavior--in this case, mass murder. Of course, the only way this theory is not entirely absurd right off the bat is to ignore the hundreds of millions+ of people who play violent video games and do not engage in murder, let alone mass murder. As well, this theory is also in disregard of mass murders who either a) did not play video games and/or b) engaged in mass murder before video games came into existence (which has been relatively recently).

Ergo, violent video games do not cause mass murder, which is exactly what I said. Thus, the cause of violence must lie elsewhere.

Similarly, if all of these people owned a red shirt, it would be just as absurd to say that owning a red shirt causes these people to engage in mass murder.

The fact that I have to explain this to you is also absurd. Apparently simple logic is difficult.

Brian4Liberty
09-17-2013, 08:05 PM

I forgot to include violence in media and entertainment. That's relatively new too.

heavenlyboy34
09-17-2013, 08:05 PM
But cruelty against turtles had skyrocketed.
And goombahs.

Occam's Banana
09-17-2013, 10:16 PM

We don't have an "epidemic" of mass shootings now.

What we have is the breathless hyperbolization of medical terminology for rhetorical and socio-politically polemical purposes.

RM918
09-18-2013, 05:50 AM
Ugh. Doesn't it make far more sense to realize that mass shooters are attracted to violent video games BECAUSE they are violent, mentally disturbed individuals looking for an outlet? This is not to imply that only people like that play violent video games - if that were true we'd have many multiples more violent shootings, it's just a harmless activity that they'd be attracted to because of their particular desires.

You know what's also become far more numerous since the 80s? Porn. I guess all this extremely abundant porn is causing the mass shootings! There wasn't this much internet porn in the 80s and there weren't as many mass shootings, and now there are. It cannot be a coincidence! And smartphones. We didn't have those in the 80s, and now mass shootings! Also insipid club dance music dominating the charts. All over the place now, mass shootings.

Warrior_of_Freedom
09-18-2013, 09:39 AM
Oh noes another one of these. Was he killing civilians 16 hours a day on Call of Duty or killing enemy combatants?

What, if anything, I find disturbing are those shitty evening crime shows on the major networks where some woman is raped, murdered, then raped again, and one of the main characters make a joke about it, then the rest of the episode is about finding the killer, then they crack more jokes. They don't fail to deliver exactly how the suspect/criminal did said acts either/what methods he used.

Btw, the episode of CSI or whatever show it is where Justin Bieber gets shot is my favorite.

JCDenton0451
09-18-2013, 10:10 AM

Not only that, violent video games also encourage abstinence among the teenagers, if you see what I mean. Social Conservatives should stop hating on the violent video games, and realise that they are actually making their job easier.

Athan
09-18-2013, 11:22 AM

I've played violent videogames all the time from God of War, Cowadooty, Halo: Reach, Battlefield, and etc. You know what else? I've been playing vidya games since 32 bit Mario Bros. I also am armed to the teeth. I have still have never had the urge to use anything I own illegally. I've never smoked pot either.

donnay
09-18-2013, 12:17 PM

This is the crux of the issue...desensitizing people with violent video games/Hollywood movies and a cocktail of psychotropic drugs is a recipe for problems.

SSRI Stories
http://www.ssristories.com/index.php?sort=date

KingNothing
09-18-2013, 01:21 PM

Proof?

KingNothing
09-18-2013, 01:24 PM
This is the crux of the issue...desensitizing people with violent video games/Hollywood movies and a cocktail of psychotropic drugs is a recipe for problems.

SSRI Stories
http://www.ssristories.com/index.php?sort=date

You say so many things that just are completely absurd that I'm amazed people still listen to you.

Violent crime is way, WAY, down since violent video games became popular and recently studies have found time spent playing video games to be inversely correlated to violence.

KingNothing
09-18-2013, 01:25 PM
People, you don't just get to say things that sound like they might be correct because those things agree with your worldview without providing supporting evidence to back up your claim. Before you make a statement that could easily be proven or disproven, Google it. Find out what people who actually investigated the topic have learned.

fearthereaperx
09-18-2013, 02:19 PM
You say so many things that just are completely absurd that I'm amazed people still listen to you.

Violent crime is way, WAY, down since violent video games became popular and recently studies have found time spent playing video games to be inversely correlated to violence.

Violent crime is down, but Mass shooting events are way up. Why is that?

fearthereaperx
09-18-2013, 02:29 PM
People, you don't just get to say things that sound like they might be correct because those things agree with your worldview without providing supporting evidence to back up your claim. Before you make a statement that could easily be proven or disproven, Google it. Find out what people who actually investigated the topic have learned.

Journal of Police and Criminal Psychology:

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs11896-009-9059-6

Incidents of mass murder have gained considerable media attention, but are not well understood in behavioral sciences. Current definitions are weak, and may include politically or ideologically motivated phenomenon. Our current understanding of the phenomenon indicates these incidents are not peculiar to only western cultures, and appear to be increasing.

American Journal of Public Health:

http://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/abs/10.2105/AJPH.2011.300545?journalCode=ajph

To understand and prevent rampage violence, we need to acknowledge that current discipline-based violence research is not well suited to this specific challenge. There are numerous important, unanswered research questions that can inform policies designed to prevent rampage violence.

pacelli
09-18-2013, 02:55 PM
I've been out of the news cycle since the day this happened. What happened to the "multiple shooters in camoflauge/olive drab clothing" that were repeated over and over in the minutes following the attack?

tod evans
09-18-2013, 02:57 PM
I've been out of the news cycle since the day this happened. What happened to the "multiple shooters in camoflauge/olive drab clothing" that were repeated over and over in the minutes following the attack?

"Authorities" determined they never existed...