PDA

View Full Version : I have to give a speech at a Ron Paul Rally on Thurs. I need help with it!

MrOblivious
11-28-2007, 02:07 PM
I'm really nervous. The University of Colorado is hosting a Ron Paul Rally on Thursday and I am giving a speech on current fiscal policies in the US. I have come here to ask all of you to add what you think would be the most vital points to touch on. My speech can be no longer than 10 minutes, and I'm still brainstorming. I'm just really nervous, and would appreciate the help.

Eric21ND
11-28-2007, 02:09 PM
The info should be easy to put gather and put together. Once you do that and write it all down, practice reading it out loud over and over again. Read it to other people, read it to your dog...just practice it.

robert4rp08
11-28-2007, 02:11 PM
Just wear Ron Paul gear and lead "Ron Paul" chants for 10 minutes.

Santana28
11-28-2007, 02:14 PM
I'd say just make sure and tie everything in together, don't just leave bullet points. Its all interrelated, but you could stress that bringing the troops home isn't simply a desire of the bleeding heart - how we need the military here to protect us, secure our borders, and save trillions of dollars to be reinvested HERE all the while building better relationships with formerly hostile nations....

Alopederii
11-28-2007, 02:22 PM
I'd recommend touching on inflation and the federal reserve.

A great article at http://www.ajjan.com/2007/11/fred-snowflack-on-ron-paul-my-response.html says:

* The criticisms of our monetary policy have much less to do with conspiracy theories than with protecting the middle class and the poor. The fact is, since the Federal Reserve was created, the US dollar has lost 93% of its purchasing power - due to massive inflation. However, if our monetary system was based on gold and silver, this trend would have been averted, and staple goods would be much more affordable.

* For example, in 1970, silver was $1.64 per ounce. Gas was 36 cents per gallon. That means an ounce of silver could buy almost 5 gallons of gas. Today, gas is about $3 per gallon. But now, an ounce of silver sells for about $14.50, equivalent to almost 5 gallons of gas. You guessed it - if the US dollar were still based on silver, gas would still be the equivalent of what it was in 1970. This is why Ron Paul supporters heed his warnings about the Federal Reserve - for the good of ordinary consumers.

And of course mention the Canadian Dollar compared to our dollar. (However, our dollar is going back up in value... :confused:)

WilliamC
11-28-2007, 02:24 PM
Greetings All,

Thanks for the courage to do this. As Mark Twain said, “There are only two types of speakers in the world. 1. The nervous and 2. Liars. ”

Write out your speech and talk through it at your normal speaking pace, with appropriate pauses and transitions. Edit until it sounds right as you speak it. If at all possible go to the venue before the speech, or at least to another similar venue with a stage/auditorium, and give the speech to the chairs a couple of times. Make sure to use the bathroom soon before you are up, and control your breathing. Don't stare at one person or place, keep your eyes moving around the audience. Make eye contact. Don't wave your hands too much. Keep controlling your breathing and don't get rushed even if you are nervous.

As for content maybe mention that Citibank, the largest bank in the US, had to be bailed out by Dubai this week. I believe Ron mentioned it today either on Fox news or CNN (ronpaulaudio.com 11/28/08).

Again, thanks and good luck!

William C Colley

MrOblivious
11-28-2007, 02:29 PM
Thank you all for helping out, this is really getting my speech going. I've got some great ideas that are coming out well. I'll show you the final draft once finished.

granny miller
11-28-2007, 03:32 PM
You'll do great! :)

Write out what you want to say in an outline form and take it slow.

A sense of humor will go a long way.

Good luck!

MrOblivious
11-28-2007, 04:51 PM
To preface, before my speech, we are showing the clip of Dr. Paul and Rudy Giuliani at the Republican debate where Giuliani accuses Dr. Paul of being un-american. That should explain the intro.

Current Draft:

Now, seeing those videos certainly had me a little bit outraged. But I have to put that aside. I’m not going to be a supporter of Ron Paul because I’m angry with the establishment. They’re just doing what they’ve always done. They compete for ratings, and to be honest, back then, he looked like a long shot, so they tried to get ratings out of him. What drives me is his unerring integrity. His honesty and openness on every issue. You always know where he stands.
For the past 30 years he’s been saying the same thing. Non-interventionist foreign policy. Lower taxes, lower spending. Peace and prosperity go hand in hand. Countries fall; they destroy themselves when their governments cannot maintain the basic infrastructure of the nation. We’re going bankrupt. The dollar has lost 10% of its value against the euro in the past year ALONE. We have to borrow billions of dollars overseas simply to keep our current lifestyle as it is. Its because we are spending TOO MUCH MONEY. Over a trillion dollars in Iraq already. What would we have done with that money at home? Look at our housing market crisis. Or the recent Nasdaq stock market crash. I am going to read you an exact passage of where Dr. Paul stands on our current fiscal policies, straight from his website.

“Working Americans like lower taxes. So do I. Lower taxes benefit all of us, creating jobs and allowing us to make more decisions for ourselves about our lives.
Whether a tax cut reduces a single mother’s payroll taxes by $40 a month or allows a business owner to save thousands in capital gains taxes and hire more employees, that tax cut is a good thing. Lower taxes allow more spending, saving, and investing which helps the economy — that means all of us.
Real conservatives have always supported low taxes and low spending.
But today, too many politicians and lobbyists are spending America into ruin. We are nine trillion dollars in debt as a nation. Our mounting government debt endangers the financial future of our children and grandchildren. If we don’t cut spending now, higher taxes and economic disaster will be in their future — and yours.
In addition, the Federal Reserve, our central bank, fosters runaway debt by increasing the money supply — making each dollar in your pocket worth less. The Fed is a private bank run by unelected officials who are not required to be open or accountable to “we the people.”
Worse, our economy and our very independence as a nation is increasingly in the hands of foreign governments such as China and Saudi Arabia, because their central banks also finance our runaway spending.
We cannot continue to allow private banks, wasteful agencies, lobbyists, corporations on welfare, and governments collecting foreign aid to dictate the size of our ballooning budget. We need a new method to prioritize our spending. It’s called the Constitution of the United States. “

Dr. Paul advocates a low tax, low spending fiscal policy. This means YOU get more of your money to spend as YOU see fit. Not the government. Not the lobbyists. You. Think about it. Check for yourself. Take an economics class if you haven’t already. I strongly encourage you to look into the countries current state of financial affairs. You may be surprised by what you see.

I was reading an article by George Ajjan, who was writing in response to an editorial made about Ron Paul. Within his article, he comments about a few of the proposed fiscal policies. On the issue of taxation, and in particular the income tax, he remarks “I admit on first glance this seems far-fetched, but consider: 2007's Federal Budget was $2.5 trillion, and nearly $1.2 trillion of that is derived from Individual Income Tax revenue. That means about $1.3 trillion is collected by the Federal Government from other sources. In 1995, do you know what the total Federal Budget was? You guessed it: $1.3 trillion. So for the same level of government we had only 12 years ago (I don't know about you, but it suited me just fine), we would not need Income Taxes.”

Now look at this on a broader perspective. In just twelve years, our federal budget has doubled. Does this seem strange to anyone else? Does it seem like we need twice as much government as we did in ‘95?

Ajjan then follows up on the idea of the gold standard, and the federal reserve. He says;
“The criticisms of our monetary policy have much less to do with conspiracy theories than with protecting the middle class and the poor. The fact is, since the Federal Reserve was created, the US dollar has lost 93% of its purchasing power - due to massive inflation. However, if our monetary system was based on gold and silver, this trend would have been averted, and staple goods would be much more affordable.
For example, in 1970, silver was $1.64 per ounce. Gas was 36 cents per gallon. That means an ounce of silver could buy almost 5 gallons of gas. Today, gas is about $3 per gallon. But now, an ounce of silver sells for about $14.50, equivalent to almost 5 gallons of gas. You guessed it - if the US dollar were still based on silver, gas would still be the equivalent of what it was in 1970. This is why Ron Paul supporters heed his warnings about the Federal Reserve - for the good of ordinary consumers.”

Again, this is the basis of our economic troubles in this nation. This is what we have to look at, before we continue to fund a welfare state at home and a warfare state abroad.

To conclude, I beg you to look into our current fiscal policies. It’s a critical issue that no one else will talk about. Dr. Paul is courageous enough to point out the flaws in our current system so we can no longer ignore these issues that could serve to be our economic downfall.

Thank You.

Thanks for all the help, criticisms welcome!

Adamsa
11-28-2007, 04:52 PM
Just wear Ron Paul gear and lead "Ron Paul" chants for 10 minutes.

Works for me.

terryp
11-28-2007, 05:07 PM
Can you squeeze in there the fact that the feds have stopped publishing the M3,
which is the amount of dollars printed i believe. Maybe the fact that the US is being pressured by China to go to the Amero as the dollar is so weak.

smartbandwidth
11-28-2007, 05:09 PM
Mr. Oblivious:

Before you dive into the nitty gritty details behind Ron Paul, who he is, etc. you need to take a step back and establish for the audience the bigger picture/vision that describes the essence of what Dr. Paul is really standing for: FREEDOM.

It might help if you visit Ed Griffin's site, Freedom-Force.org and read through "The Creed Of Freedom". There's more than enough words and phrases in that short "creed" to establish this vision for your audience. This "Creed of Freedom" is what I believe Ron Paul and our Founding Fathers really and truly stood for. The words from this simple creed need to be layered in, sprinkled in, or even inserted in verbatim in speech after speech by individuals from all walks of life throughout our great country.

Even if you were can your personal speech and READ THE CREED verbatim from that website I believe you're contribution would be a runaway success. I think you have enough creativity to connect Dr. Paul to this creed.

Good luck!!

Peace and God Bless,

Fred

MrOblivious
11-28-2007, 05:24 PM
I like your idea about the creed of freedom, but since it is my job to deal specifically with fiscal dealings, I don't feel that input would be best. However, I will go ahead and print out 100 copies and distribute them to the rally goers, as I believe you are right about the creed. It is a good creed that I totally support.

Libertarian
11-28-2007, 06:32 PM
I strongly suggest you read this speech several times. Paul says EXACTLY what you need to say :)

http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul388.html

WilliamC
11-30-2007, 03:58 PM
Greetings All,

So how went the speech?

WilliamC