PDA

View Full Version : Schools want money, Individuals want rights...

The Free Hornet
09-16-2013, 10:49 PM
This idea occurred to me for potentially dealing with public schools and the erosion of students' rights.

Schools routinely request donations from parents and these go well beyond #2 pencils and snot rags:

If you do decide to make a “voluntary” donation, take solace in knowing that your pocketbook’s plight could always be worse. Reich reported that the Hillsborough (Calif.) Schools Foundation asks parents for $2,300 per child. “Hillsborough is not an anomaly,” Reich wrote for the Times. “The foundation supporting the Palo Alto school district asks for $800 per child; in Menlo Park, it’s $1,500; and at the Ross Elementary School in Marin County, it’s a staggering $3,400.”

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865585863/Public-school-parents-If-asked-to-donate-money-3-things-to-consider.html?pg=all

That known, what if as a precondition to any donation, a parent or parents required the school to consent to a legally binding Bill of Rights and/or additionally specific conditions that would protect the child from unjust punishment and/or expulsion. Some of it can even be modeled after the teachers' contracts (somewhat as a lark, but seriouser). E.g., why should your child's teacher have more protections than your child? Why would any sane individual donate to such an institution?

Now I know the best answer is to not use a public school, but that may not always be practical or desirable. More so, a mechanism to reform public schools could be seen as harmful to liberty since removal of coercive financing is a preferred solution.

Unless parents did this en masse, I suspect no such agreement would ever be signed. So the parents wouldn't donate money or paper towels, buy/sell all that overpriced catalog crap they push out once a year, and no money for other fund raisers. Win win win.

Just a thought...

RAAVAN
09-17-2013, 01:04 AM
It is not good thing to do. Rich people will give donations for the studies of their children. But what about poor ones. Doesn't matter it should not be the case. Everyone should have the equal rights to study where they want to study. Governments and people's self spirit will be helpful for this cause.