PDA

View Full Version : Google May Owe You Money

Lucille
09-15-2013, 10:27 AM
Google May Owe You Money
http://business.time.com/2013/09/13/why-google-may-owe-you-money/

If Google put your house on Street View between 2007 and 2010, the company might (eventually) owe you money.

In a blow to Google, on Tuesday, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals in California rejected the search giant’s request to dismiss a lawsuit over the company’s collection of personal data over private residential Wi-Fi networks. Google vehicles collected the data—including personal emails and passwords—as they drove past homes to photograph them for Street View, the system that creates photo panoramas for Google Maps.

The appeals court ruled that information passed over home Wi-Fi networks is private and protected under federal wiretapping law. Google had argued that Wi-Fi signals coming out of private homes are equivalent to radio communication and therefore legally accessible by the public. The Ninth Circuit didn’t agree. It deemed residential wireless communication private, an important step toward setting boundaries for privacy in an age where technology has moved far-faster than the law.
[...]
If the case goes to trial, the lawyers will get their hands on exactly what Google collected, what the firm did with the data, and who was responsible. Jeffrey Kodroff, a Philadelphia lawyer and co-lead counsel in for the plaintiffs, is confident that is a likely outcome. Google will have to turn over a 600-gigabyte database of information it’s collected. Based on a rough analysis that estimates the average email consists of 2,000 to 10,000 bites of data, Kodroff says, that database could include 60 million emails.

Ultimately, Google could be liable to pay damages to millions of people—at a payout of $100 to $10,000 each, according to the wiretapping law. Even for Google, with its $50 billion cash stockpile, that would not be an insignificant sum. “This is potentially the single biggest wiretapping case in world history. They did this in tens of millions of American’s homes,” says Scott Cleland, a publisher of a Google watchdog site who consults for some of Google’s competitors.

More at the link. h/t http://www.backwoodshome.com/blogs/ClaireWolfe/2013/09/14/saturday-links/

specsaregood
09-15-2013, 10:31 AM
By comparison, MS actually released the source code to their software doing similarly to show that they were NOT collecting such data.

tod evans
09-15-2013, 10:44 AM
Since this is a "Backwoods" link I'll take the liberty of posting one of this months jokes too'''

A social worker from Chicago recently transferred to the mountains of West Virginia and was on the first tour of her new territory when she came upon the tiniest cabin she had ever seen in her life. Intrigued, she went up and knocked on the door.

"Anybody home?" she asked.

"Yep," came a kid's voice through the door.

"Is your father there?" asked the social worker.

"Pa? Nope, he left afore Ma came in," said the kid.

"Well, is your mother there?" persisted the social worker.

"Ma? Nope, she left just afore I got here," said the kid.

"But," protested the social worker, (thinking that surely she will need to intervene in this situation) "are you never together as a family?"

"Sure, but not here," said the kid through the door. "This is the outhouse!"

Chester Copperpot
09-15-2013, 10:57 AM
How is google going to obtain wifi passwords by drivng around

TaftFan
09-15-2013, 11:10 AM

Right. Why and how are they hacking.

kpitcher
09-15-2013, 11:10 AM
Streetscape listened for wifi as they drove around taking pictures to get a geolocation based on a wifi router - that way you can get a GPS location for a user even if they don't have GPS turned on but you know their wifi MAC address. As a note apple and other companies have used similar services just for wifi so Google isn't unique here. What is different is Google logged everything and not just the basic wifi info. If someone was doing something on an unencrypted wifi then their entire packets could have been captured - emails, passwords, websites, etc.

here is a complete walkthrough of the issue http://epic.org/privacy/streetview/

torchbearer
09-15-2013, 11:13 AM
Right. Why and how are they hacking.

this was discussed in another thread.
Google obtains Wifi Passwords through smartphone that use android os.
when you log into your local wifi network-
that information is sent to google. MAC and passcode.

Lucille
09-15-2013, 11:17 AM

They don't owe me.

The furor erupted in 2010 when Google disclosed that it had collected Wi-Fi data from unsecured wireless networks as its “Street View” vehicles crawled major cities worldwide, photographing buildings for a ground-level view on Google Maps.

Read more: http://business.time.com/2013/03/13/did-google-get-off-easy-with-7-million-wi-spy-settlement/#ixzz2eyy8N5ld

Look at the lying liars:

Google has not exactly been straightforward about the personal information collected in Street View. After first denying it collected the information, Google then admitted it had, but called it a mistake, blaming it on the work of an engineer who collected it without the knowledge of his superiors. An FCC investigation fined Google $25,000 last year for failing to cooperate with their probe. And, in March, Google settled a suit over the personal information gathered through Street View with 37 states and the District of Columbia for $7 million.

Read more: http://business.time.com/2013/09/13/why-google-may-owe-you-money/#ixzz2eyyPw5eV

this was discussed in another thread.
Google obtains Wifi Passwords through smartphone that use android os.
when you log into your local wifi network-
that information is sent to google. MAC and passcode.

Streetscape listened for wifi as they drove around taking pictures to get a geolocation based on a wifi router - that way you can get a GPS location for a user even if they don't have GPS turned on but you know their wifi MAC address. As a note apple and other companies have used similar services just for wifi so Google isn't unique here. What is different is Google logged everything and not just the basic wifi info. If someone was doing something on an unencrypted wifi then their entire packets could have been captured - emails, passwords, websites, etc.

here is a complete walkthrough of the issue http://epic.org/privacy/streetview/

Oh! The evil bastards.

Uriah
09-15-2013, 11:59 AM
Google's motto up until 2009 was "Don't be evil", seriously. Apparently, they didn't want that to bite them in their rump so they dropped the motto.

osan
09-15-2013, 09:00 PM
Google's motto up until 2009 was "Don't be evil", seriously. Apparently, they didn't want that to bite them in their rump so they dropped the motto.

Yeah, Google has gone to the dark side, with a raging boner no less.

I have data on my machines here worth easily many tens of millions of dollars - mostly what I created over the years and still very relevant to the sorts of work I do. If I could find that they'd pinched it - hooboy - let's just say it would no longer be called "google" and "don't be evil" would be returned to service and stringently observed.

I have an Android phone, but will send it to the shit can as soon as I am able - way too sloppy and insecure an OS. Didn't want to get it in the first place but poverty sometimes drives choice.

I think this issue could put Blackberry back in the running for top spot if they took proper advantage of the circumstance.

BTW, reading packets off the router should be a criminal offense IMO - it is theft - I would see Google personnel in a prison cell with LONG sentences as a warning to all others.