PDA

View Full Version : Going to Des Moines? To win, we must dig in!!

lonestarguy
06-25-2007, 03:05 AM
Shall we go to Des Moines to support and bask in the glow of Ron Paul? Or shall we go to Des Moines to do real work elevating RP name recognition by going door-to-door in the effort of getting him elected? We probably can do both, with emphasis on the latter!

We have lots going for us and lots working against us. One is overall low name recognition in Iowa. We can add serious fuel to the fire starting (now!) and this coming weekend thru August 10th by meticulously working the neighborhoods of Des Moines (and all of Polk County for that matter, and the adjoining Story County, in which is located, Ames, site of the 11 August Straw Poll Vote.) I mean, we've got well over 200,000 thousand single housing units combined in Polk and Story County.

I would advance the following: Go to Des Moines and support Ron Paul by going door-to-door and leaving the tri-fold or other campaign material in a person's hands or on their door knob if no one is home or no one answers the door. We know that RP's name recognition is comparatively low. We also know that according to the latest census data that there are over 115,000 single family housing units combined in the city limits of Des Moines/West Des Moines (Polk County). Another 20,000 housing units in Ames, Iowa (Story County) alone. Taken together the combined urban/rural housing units in these counties is over 200,000 units.

Now, as we tick down to the Straw Poll in Ames on 11 August, it would seem to be a crucial time to get into the neighborhoods of these two counties and get out information on RP. I mean lets just say for example purposes, that 100 out-of-state supporters show up to rally in the day(s) leading up to June 30th. What if 100 volunteers, paired-up, and hit the neighborhoods of Des Moines and walked them for 3, 4 or 5 hours. That's 300, 400, or 500 man hours of elevating the name recognition of Ron Paul. That's solid effort in getting info out about RP. Now, your really doing some serious and vital campaign work.

I would advance keeping meticulous records of the street addresses that are worked so that others coming in behind you in the weeks ahead will know what's already been covered. Btw, I have put together a form that volunteers can use to keep track of neighborhoods canvassed, but more importantly, capture the data on those RP supporters that jump out of houses to confirm they are already solid RP supporters! Those people are there, in the neighborhoods, we just have to knock on enough doors to find them. Info on those people will be golden, indeed!

Working on the ground, going door-to-door, between now and August 10th, will go along way in 1) elevating RP's name recognition and 2) proving to the world that this is a serious campaign, with serious people that will leave no potential supporter unapproached and no door left unknocked!

nayjevin
06-25-2007, 03:45 AM
here's a thought:

whatever highway you are using to get there, or return home:

everybody wear your Ron Paul T-Shirts, and stop at EVERY town. Try to find the 'coffee spot' for the locals, and grab a cup. Leave some flyers, create some buzz. If you're real lucky, you can get a prominent businessman in the town to take in RP, and it'll spread to the other prominents around town.

IF YOU GO DOOR TO DOOR:

there MUST be a consistent, simple approach, and it must be respectful, and you must present yourself well. I recommend this thread for some ideas:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=4184

I was a door-to-door salesman for a time, selling cable TV to folks. It was somewhat different, as our pitch began with 'I'm here to let you know our crews are coming out to do some work on your lines' (total bull so they think you're not selling anything) 'and while they're here -- they're running a special! all we need is your SSN...." I quit that job before long, but read some Dale Carnegie in preparation and learned quite a bit.

MOST IMPORTANT:
=============

1. Sincerity
Eye contact, value the individual, SINCERE compliments help, "beautiful flowers" -- but only if you really think they are beautiful -- people know the difference. LISTEN more than you speak, you should even 'listen' while you are speaking.

2. Simplicity
Too much convincing, and people start resisting. The vast majority of people will only be convinced by Ron Paul himself, on their own time. Convince them to look into him, not to vote for him. "Just gettin the word out"

3. Efficiency
Spend your time wisely. Don't fight uphill battles with people who are argumentative or say they want to Nuke Iran, for instance. Diffuse the ticking time-bomb. "I can respect that. Ron Paul thinks differently, but I recommend you at least see what else he believes. Thanks! Bye!"

If someone gets heated, LOOK INTO THEIR EYES AND IMMEDIATELY APOLOGIZE, NO MATTER WHAT YOU OR THEY HAVE DONE. You are on their property. Apologize and get off of it.

4. Effectiveness
Use materials that provide the opportunity for folks to find out the bulk of the message. Use something with an outline of issues. If it's in their hands, they may read it all, just about no matter how long it is. But they might not sit down at the computer and type in "all that dubya dubya crap" to get the same information.

With those that are very supportive, spend a bit of extra time. Balance it, of course, but a couple of minutes could mean the difference between a voter and a contributor/meetup supporter. THESE ARE THE PEOPLE YOU ARE THERE FOR. If they are willing to listen to you, they are probably willing to listen to RP. Give extra information when you need to. WRITE IT DOWN WITH YOUR OWN PEN and it becomes a more personal endorsement.

Hopefully DVD's will be available, otherwise, here is a good CD:

http://www.srchost.com/ronpaul/viewtopic.php?t=124

5. Consistency
Use a consistent opening line, attention grabber, or pitch. There are several reasons:
You get better at it the more you use it.
When you find a good one, you just repeat the process.

6. Be knowledgable
If you can't answer the common questions people have about issues, and especially some of RP's bad 'sounding' ones (" He's against the PATRIOT act? No AMNESTY? Those sound good...") this probably isn't a job for you. It's too important to be able to outline at least the basics to those receptive enough to ask questions.

I think that I would often use:
"Well, the Constitution says that should be left up to the states. Ron Paul just wants to get the federal government out of it -- so ya'all in Iowa are free to solve it as you please."

=========

Also, if you pay attention, you can often find out in the first 15 seconds what type of experience it's going to be. Be careful to pre-judge, but look for signs of problems that pop up early.

AND YOU MUST RESEARCH THE 'HOWARD DEAN' COLLAPSE IN IOWA IN 2004 BEFORE YOU DO THIS.

nayjevin
06-25-2007, 05:15 AM
I have combined this and my responses, and made some additions, and reposted the whole thing in 'strategies for success' here:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=36626#post36626

LibertyEagle
06-25-2007, 06:27 AM
Thanks, nayjevin. Good stuff.

princessredtights
06-25-2007, 08:04 AM
I would add this suggestion.

If people are really interested in going "door to door" in Des Moines, then I would suggest connecting with the Ron Paul Meetup leader in the area. I think it would be best to have the city "assigned" to certain groups so that it is organized (I can see some people getting solicitated multiple times and getting freaked out or pissed while others get left out ....)

Just a suggestion

SeanEdwards
06-25-2007, 08:06 AM
Be nice and don't scare the natives. Spend lots of money in local businesses and restaurants. Tip well. :D :D :D

Man from La Mancha
06-25-2007, 08:12 AM
Tipping is always is a good way to leave a good impression