PDA

View Full Version : CA Police Dept Using Injured Animals for Target Practice At Shooting Range

SeanTX
09-13-2013, 10:00 AM
A great way to condition them to shoot every dog they see! This isn't being done for "humane" reasons ...

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2013/09/12/merced-police-policy-of-taking-injured-animals-to-shooting-range-comes-under-fire/#.UjKLgmTQ_v4.facebook

Merced Police Policy Of Taking Injured Animals To Shooting Range Comes Under Fire
September 12, 2013 6:34 PM

MERCED (CBS13) — Animal lovers are questioning a policy where Merced Police officers take injured animals out to the police shooting range to kill them.

The penal code has been on the books for decades. Some officers say it’s the most humane thing you can do, while others call it barbaric.

Officers use deadly force to save the lives of others, but what about shooting severely injured dogs or cats found on the street?

According to a California penal code, it’s an officer’s discretion, saying in part:

“…any officer… may, with the approval of his or her immediate superior, humanely destroy any abandoned animal in the field in any case where the animal is too severely injured to move or where a veterinarian is not available and it would be more humane to dispose of the animal.”

“No one wants to see an animal lose its life, but if death is inevitable, and it’s just being prolonged,” said Sacramento County Sgt. Jason Ramos.

SNIP

And the Merced Bee reports Merced Police take injured animals to the range and kill them there.

ZENemy
09-13-2013, 10:07 AM
Funny, I thought humans had empathy and that empathy made it hard to kill things that are suffering.

These cops probably high five each other after putting an eye out from a 2 legged cat.

shane77m
09-13-2013, 10:14 AM
The animals probably suffer more due to the cops poor marksmanship.

SeanTX
09-13-2013, 10:14 AM
Funny, I thought humans had empathy and that empathy made it hard to kill things that are suffering.

These cops probably high five each other after putting an eye out from a 2 legged cat.

Oh, well, sometimes "putting down" an injured animal is the best (and most humane) thing to do. However, this obviously isn't about that -- it's sport shooting for the officers.

ZENemy
09-13-2013, 10:17 AM
Oh, well, sometimes "putting down" an injured animal is the best (and most humane) thing to do. However, this obviously isn't about that -- it's sport shooting for the officers.

Agree with both!

ZENemy
09-13-2013, 10:17 AM
Acts of cruelty to animals are not mere indications of a minor personality flaw in the abuser; they are symptomatic of a deep mental disturbance. Research in psychology and criminology shows that people who commit acts of cruelty to animals don’t stop there—many of them move on to their fellow humans. “Murderers ... very often start out by killing and torturing animals as kids,” says Robert K. Ressler, who developed profiles of serial killers for the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).

Studies have shown that violent and aggressive criminals are more likely to have abused animals as children than criminals who are considered non-aggressive. A survey of psychiatric patients who had repeatedly tortured dogs and cats found that all of them had high levels of aggression toward people as well. According to a New South Wales newspaper, a police study in Australia revealed that “100 percent of sexual homicide offenders examined had a history of animal cruelty.” To researchers, a fascination with cruelty to animals is a red flag in the backgrounds of serial killers and rapists. According to the FBI’s Ressler, “These are the kids who never learned it’s wrong to poke out a puppy’s eyes.”

http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/4540/do-children-who-kill-animals-turn-out-to-be-violent

ClydeCoulter
09-13-2013, 10:19 AM

Yep, if it was about stopping the suffering of the animal, why take the time to go to the range? Sport, fun, what a blast.

jkr
09-13-2013, 10:52 AM
BLUE
MEANIESS

tod evans
09-13-2013, 10:54 AM
Bunch of sick fucks....

Eat what you kill or don't kill it.

JK/SEA
09-13-2013, 12:30 PM
Potential serial killers usually start with killing animals.

Up next...didn't sign up for Obama care?....stand here.

ClydeCoulter
09-13-2013, 12:43 PM
Bunch of sick fucks....

Eat what you kill or don't kill it.

THIS ^^^ have to catch you later :)

Miss Annie
09-13-2013, 12:47 PM
Where's the outrage of PETA? Or do they only get pissed in red states? :rolleyes:

AFPVet
09-13-2013, 12:48 PM
It's one thing to humanely dispatch a wounded animal and another to take it to the freaking range and use it for target practice. The latter takes a psychotic individual.

Miss Annie
09-13-2013, 12:50 PM
It's one thing to humanely dispatch a wounded animal and another to take it to the freaking range and use it for target practice. The latter takes a psychotic individual.

Just a hunch, but I think they are working very hard to create a bunch of psychotic individuals!!

pcosmar
09-13-2013, 12:50 PM
According to a California penal code, it’s an officer’s discretion, saying in part:

“…any officer… may, with the approval of his or her immediate superior, humanely destroy any abandoned animal in the field in any case where the animal is too severely injured to move or where a veterinarian is not available and it would be more humane to dispose of the animal.”

Then why move them to the range?? :(

Christian Liberty
09-13-2013, 12:52 PM
is it bad that I just don't care? I'm not defending it, but animals aren't protected by the NAP. I'm more worried about the people that should be protected.

SeanTX
09-13-2013, 01:17 PM
is it bad that I just don't care? I'm not defending it, but animals aren't protected by the NAP. I'm more worried about the people that should be protected.

Yes, it is bad. The casual shooting of animals creates an environment where cops are more willing to shoot people (in the interests of "officer safety" of course). I'm sure they are hoping to condition them for just that. Kind of like a living, breathing "no more hesitation" target.

Red Green
09-13-2013, 01:18 PM
I'd be OK with this if they would limit it to wounded pigs.....;)

thoughtomator
09-13-2013, 01:20 PM
This is an article about sick puppies - and I'm not talking about those poor dogs.

thoughtomator
09-13-2013, 01:21 PM

You are missing that they are training to casually take life - and if they would do it to helpless, injured animals, they will definitely do it to you, given the opportunity.

Christian Liberty
09-13-2013, 01:25 PM
You are missing that they are training to casually take life - and if they would do it to helpless, injured animals, they will definitely do it to you, given the opportunity.

That's a valid point.

pcosmar
09-13-2013, 01:34 PM
That's a valid point.

Have you ever deliberately killed anything? I mean beyond swatting flies or mosquitoes ?

Have you ever hunted,, and killed an animal..

I remember my first kill,, 40+ years later,, I still remember..

this is training to kill,, Conditioning,,, not hunting.
Yes,, at times it is humane to put an animal down.. as quickly and painlessly as possible. This is not that. :(.

VBRonPaulFan
09-13-2013, 01:46 PM
hahahaha, what?

so it is too severely injured to move and a vet isn't available, so you let the officers move the "severely injured animal that shouldn't be moved" to a gun range, probably driving past several vet offices on the way.

GET THE HELL OUTTA HERE. that is the saddest attempt at an excuse i've ever seen. these people have no soul!

Christian Liberty
09-13-2013, 01:48 PM
Have you ever deliberately killed anything? I mean beyond swatting flies or mosquitoes ?

Have you ever hunted,, and killed an animal..

I remember my first kill,, 40+ years later,, I still remember..

this is training to kill,, Conditioning,,, not hunting.
Yes,, at times it is humane to put an animal down.. as quickly and painlessly as possible. This is not that. :(.

I'm not proud of it, but as a 6 year old I used to outright torture lizards

And yeah, I did end up killing them.

pcosmar
09-13-2013, 01:59 PM
I'm not proud of it, but as a 6 year old I used to outright torture lizards

And yeah, I did end up killing them.

And how did that make you feel?

I will still harvest my Rabbits. I have hunted,, I learned to kill as a child..
I had to have a dogs put down over the years.

But it is never something I took lightly.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
09-13-2013, 02:09 PM
Yep, if it was about stopping the suffering of the animal, why take the time to go to the range? Sport, fun, what a blast.

Sums it up right there. Not to mention, the same could be accomplished by shooting the animal with a lethal tranquilizer on the spot. It doesn't even have to be (more) bloody.

osan
09-13-2013, 02:47 PM
A great way to condition them to shoot every dog they see! This isn't being done for "humane" reasons ...

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2013/09/12/merced-police-policy-of-taking-injured-animals-to-shooting-range-comes-under-fire/#.UjKLgmTQ_v4.facebook

How about when those cops children are injured, we take them to the range and kill them humanely?

Hunt those sub-human bastards and kill them. To the man.

The destruction of innocence is one thing I for which I have no tolerance and will show the destroyers no mercy. The sin is unforgivable - Jesus himself, were he here, would say "kill them all for they transgress against everything that is sacred and good"

Yah - my one hot button issue, and I make no bones about it.

osan
09-13-2013, 02:49 PM

Then they cannot complain when citizens use cops for some sport shooting of their own.

osan
09-13-2013, 03:05 PM

This has to be the single most wildly, obscenely, and deeply depraved display of intellectual incapacity I have ever witnessed in my lifetime. I don't even have the words to describe what this represents.

Go away.

Carson
09-13-2013, 07:57 PM
I'm not seeing anything in the article that makes me think any of the police officers are doing anything wrong.

I imagine the range is a known safe place to fire a weapon to dispatch an injured animal.

I can't really imagine being able to transport an injured animal safely for the police but I suppose it may have been done a time or two.

P.S. Tell you what though. I feel like taking a shower after posting in this thread. Some of the stuff that is posted here sounds way out there and not fair at all.

It seems some are painting with a pretty wide brush here. Kind of like tossing full buckets.

EBounding
09-13-2013, 08:31 PM
If they're just shooting point blank to euthanize them, that's understandable. But are they actually setting them up from several yards to get practice shots? That would be disturbing.

pcosmar
09-13-2013, 09:41 PM
If they're just shooting point blank to euthanize them, that's understandable. But are they actually setting them up from several yards to get practice shots? That would be disturbing.

Transporting a wounded injured animal to the range is inhumane. If the animal truly needs to be Euthanized,, do it immediately. Without any unnecessary cruelty.

If the animal can be moved and transported it could be transported to someone that can actually help it.
Police have no qualms about shooting up homes,, or trucks,, or 107 year old men where they find them.