PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Residents Being Fined For Parking In Their Own Driveway!

green73
09-12-2013, 08:55 AM
PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — It sounds absurd: tickets and warning letters for parking in your own driveway.

But Pittsburgh City Councilman Corey O’Connor says it’s happened on two city streets – one in the West End and one in Squirrel Hill. And he fears, it could happen elsewhere.

“This could happen tomorrow to any resident of the city of Pittsburgh,” said O’Connor.

“This is where I’ve been parking for over 18 years,” said Eileen Freedman, as she pointed at the driveway to her home on Hobart Street in Squirrel Hill.

She says she recently got a warning letter from the Pittsburgh’s Bureau of Building Inspection.

“We’re no longer allowed to use our driveway to park, because of a law that says you have to park at least 30 feet away from the street,” said Freedman.

She says there wouldn’t be space to park 30 feet back between her home and the neighboring one because it’s just too narrow.

A pregnant mother of seven who lives across the street is trying to follow the rule, but can’t get out of the driver’s side of her van anymore. She has to crawl out of the passenger’s side when she parks the vehicle between her home and her neighbor’s.

“It’s a pretty ridiculous problem, actually,” said O’Connor.

The councilman says there’s actually two parts to the problem. First, the little-known 30-foot back law, which he says originated in the ‘50s or ‘60s.

“If you’re a couple feet into your own personal driveway, there shouldn’t be a problem,” said O’Connor.

But he also says that technically you can be ticketed, “because you have to have what is called an occupancy permit. The funny thing about that is, we don’t tell you need an occupancy permit.”

O’Connor says the tickets and warning letters are issued by the Bureau of Building Inspection. KDKA was unable to reach anyone from that office Wednesday night.

He says one family ended up paying a $2,400 fine.

cont
http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2013/09/11/some-city-residents-being-fined-for-parking-in-their-own-driveway/

oyarde
09-12-2013, 08:57 AM
Who would pay it ?

tod evans
09-12-2013, 08:57 AM
Bet they feel good when they cut that property tax check every year.....

HOLLYWOOD
09-12-2013, 09:00 AM
And as government comes up with new ways of tyranny to steal money from the people, the people move/gravitate to lower cost towns/suburbs.

Hey Pittsburgh City clowns... take a look at Detroit, buffoons.

jkr
09-12-2013, 09:16 AM
GET IT STRAGHT YOU $LAVES!

IT
IS
THEIR
DRIVEWAY
NOT
YOURS

NOW PAY YOUR FUGGN TAXES to ME $LAVE, OR i WILL kill you!

Cap
09-12-2013, 09:22 AM

IT
IS
THEIR
DRIVEWAY
NOT
YOURS

NOW PAY YOUR FUGGN TAXES to ME $LAVE, OR i WILL kill you!Sadly, so true.

aGameOfThrones
09-12-2013, 10:31 AM
Who would pay it ?

"He says one family ended up paying a $2,400 fine."

A pregnant mother of seven who lives across the street is trying to follow the rule, but can’t get out of the driver’s side of her van anymore.

Hope she's not on welfare.

evilfunnystuff
09-12-2013, 10:45 AM
Thats how we roll.

1 night I broke down at school on east carson street, that night they put out temorary no parking signs and towed everything on the road for no reason.

A Son of Liberty
09-12-2013, 10:49 AM
Thats how we roll.

1 night I broke down at school on east carson street, that night they put out temorary no parking signs and towed everything on the road for no reason.

Not having your car on East Carson Street at night ain't always the worst thing. You can always bar hop your way home! :)

amy31416
09-12-2013, 11:12 AM

Squirrel Hill is a pretty wealthy, about half Jewish neighborhood--I'd guess that she's Hassidic. I doubt you could be on welfare and afford a house in the neighborhood. Then again, there are a few places in the neighborhood that look pretty crappy and I don't remember Hobart street specifically.

Schifference
09-12-2013, 11:13 AM

I would bet she in on welfare.

A Son of Liberty
09-12-2013, 11:17 AM
Squirrel Hill is a pretty wealthy, about half Jewish neighborhood--I'd guess that she's Hassidic. I doubt you could be on welfare and afford a house in the neighborhood. Then again, there are a few places in the neighborhood that look pretty crappy and I don't remember Hobart street specifically.

Hobart Street is pretty basic middle class, at best. Mostly rental homes/apartments closer to Murray Avenue... nicer homes on the block closer to Schenley Park. Likely not welfare, but by no means upper middle class or wealthy.

You're a former Picksburgher?

ClydeCoulter
09-12-2013, 11:20 AM
This almost has to end in a crash landing. It's going to take a hell of a pilot to take all of this out of the tail spin it is in.

A Son of Liberty
09-12-2013, 11:40 AM
This almost has to end in a crash landing. It's going to take a hell of a pilot to take all of this out of the tail spin it is in.

Nothing is beyond the scope of government, don't you see? Yeah, yeah, land of the free, etc., etc. You're free to do as you please, as long as you do not violate any one of tens of thousands of laws, rules, and regulations. So be sure to thank the boys in blue, and "our troops" for keeping us free, and don't forget to pay your taxes on April 15th, heh heh, wouldn't want to get into dutch with the Feds, ya know? Now come over here, you, and let me feel you up for explosives, ya freakin' hippy.

osan
09-12-2013, 12:01 PM

IT
IS
THEIR
DRIVEWAY
NOT
YOURS

NOW PAY YOUR FUGGN TAXES to ME $LAVE, OR i WILL kill you!

Pretty much sums it up.

amy31416
09-12-2013, 12:03 PM
Hobart Street is pretty basic middle class, at best. Mostly rental homes/apartments closer to Murray Avenue... nicer homes on the block closer to Schenley Park. Likely not welfare, but by no means upper middle class or wealthy.

You're a former Picksburgher?

Sorta. Went to school there, my dad spent his final months in a hospital there, and had an ex who went to grad school there whom I visited just about every weekend who lived in Squirrel Hill. Walked my dog all over the neighborhood, but I stayed mostly in the little strip area (Murray Ave IIRC) where the Giant Eagle and shops are, and he lived right around Woodmont Rd (I think Woodmont is right.) The houses where I walked the dog were swank if I went one direction, middle class if I went the other.

Being Pittsburgh though, I never had any sense of what direction was what at any given time. It's kind of disconcerting.

A Son of Liberty
09-12-2013, 12:24 PM
Sorta. Went to school there, my dad spent his final months in a hospital there, and had an ex who went to grad school there whom I visited just about every weekend who lived in Squirrel Hill. Walked my dog all over the neighborhood, but I stayed mostly in the little strip area (Murray Ave IIRC) where the Giant Eagle and shops are, and he lived right around Woodmont Rd (I think Woodmont is right.) The houses where I walked the dog were swank if I went one direction, middle class if I went the other.

Being Pittsburgh though, I never had any sense of what direction was what at any given time. It's kind of disconcerting.

As I was once told when asking for directions, "you can't get there from here." :)

I lived in Sq Hill for 3 years. I lived down near Taylor Allderdice HS. I also lived near Ron's alma mater, Dormont HS for a bit. :)

kcchiefs6465
09-12-2013, 12:35 PM
This is the Midwest in general. Horseshoe roads and semi-circles. It's ridiculous how over the course of a half mile you could end up heading the complete opposite direction on the same road. Nothing goes straight.

Philhelm
09-12-2013, 01:22 PM
Who would pay it ?

He says one family ended up paying a $2,400 fine.

One family, apparently.

Philhelm
09-12-2013, 01:25 PM

I once knew a Jewish woman who liked urine that came from that area. Crazy, crazy woman.

Schifference
09-12-2013, 01:27 PM
I always said that the problem with Pittsburg was all those cars in the driveway.

evilfunnystuff
09-12-2013, 02:34 PM
As I was once told when asking for directions, "you can't get there from here." :)

Ya, you either get get that or...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zh-cjOMv2w

evilfunnystuff
09-12-2013, 02:45 PM
Not having your car on East Carson Street at night ain't always the worst thing. You can always bar hop your way home! :)

It was a pile anyways, I'd have been thrilled to get the insurance check lol

I lived in my truck on East Carson, against that giant stone wall by the Smithfeild Street Bridge for a little over a week, another time I broke down there. The worst place ever to try to be under a vehicle with no jack stands lol.

Ya, lots of bar-hoppin that week :D

A Son of Liberty
09-12-2013, 02:54 PM
It was a pile anyways, I'd have been thrilled to get the insurance check lol

I lived in my truck on East Carson, against that giant stone wall by the Smithfeild Street Bridge for a little over a week, another time I broke down there. The worst place ever to try to be under a vehicle with no jack stands lol.

Yoy! ;)

That is a terrible place to be broke dahn. ;) lol

I once under-estimated the distance from the Club Cafe to Station Square and decided to walk it. I wasn't sure what made me more uneasy, the tramps, hookers and heroin addicts or being 2' from speeding traffic! :D

A Son of Liberty
09-12-2013, 02:59 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zh-cjOMv2w

LOL - I worked construction with a pile of guys just like that. Worse maybe - "Eh yinz goan dahntahn affer woark t'night n'at?" "Eh j'yinz see deh Stillers game yesserday?" "Eh joo see dat goal Mare-ee-oh scored lassnight?"

I love Pittsburgh. Miss the hell out of it.

moostraks
09-12-2013, 03:34 PM
LOL - I worked construction with a pile of guys just like that. Worse maybe - "Eh yinz goan dahntahn affer woark t'night n'at?" "Eh j'yinz see deh Stillers game yesserday?" "Eh joo see dat goal Mare-ee-oh scored lassnight?"

I love Pittsburgh. Miss the hell out of it.
Dh and his family are Pittsburgh natives and I can so hear the way this is said. Shoot many folks in this area sound pretty similar as we are not that far away here in Ohio. Thanks for the laugh!

amy31416
09-12-2013, 06:01 PM
Dh and his family are Pittsburgh natives and I can so hear the way this is said. Shoot many folks in this area sound pretty similar as we are not that far away here in Ohio. Thanks for the laugh!

My mom is from Youngstown and has a bit of that Pittsburgh accent.

gwax23
09-12-2013, 06:14 PM

Her last name is O'Connor.

DamianTV
09-12-2013, 07:13 PM
Three Felonies Per Day just got bumped up to 3.1 Felonies Per Day, and it only gets worse as time progresses.

oyarde
09-12-2013, 11:04 PM

Hope she's not on welfare.Cooperation ( $2400) is contributing to the problem .You must be part of the solution or part of the problem .....

oyarde
09-12-2013, 11:09 PM

Being Pittsburgh though, I never had any sense of what direction was what at any given time. It's kind of disconcerting.Better avoid the streets in Cinncinati
then :)

oyarde
09-12-2013, 11:18 PM

I lived in Sq Hill for 3 years. I lived down near Taylor Allderdice HS. I also lived near Ron's alma mater, Dormont HS for a bit. :)

I think the only time I ever got the , " you cannot get there from here" thing was in Baltimore , or "Balmoor" , but it really was not in english, so I sort of had to defer to my boss who was with me to translate , he was from Maryland , but the sticks. When I asked the young fella a second time ( I figured I may make it out , then ), he looked at me like he thought I was screwing with him, then said some gobblygook that I could make out that I was not " from there ", which of course I found comical.... When I was young, I had a guy, worked for me from Pittsb. , I never had trouble understanding him , his only got bad when he was drunk , but I guess I was used to it and aways knew what he meant .

UWDude
09-12-2013, 11:47 PM
I had just finished watching "NetworK" for the first time in my life, was feeling great, and went outside to see my car was gone. I lived on a small, quiet road in Seattle, but being parked in the same spot for over 72 hours is illegal, even if it is in front of your house. Cost me $430, and I am a mere peasant. I never even drive my car.

I mean, the state thinks it can push everybody around, and it thinks that only a small percentage will suffer, so they will get away with it, but when every single government agency takes its pound of flesh, eventually everybody will be scarred, and the inevitable will happen. History is replete with peasant rebellions.

amy31416
09-13-2013, 03:27 AM
Her last name is O'Connor.

Read the article again.

CaptUSA
09-13-2013, 03:51 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zh-cjOMv2w+ rep!

So much greatness in that clip! Rt. 28 construction, the Hills shirt, cops on the turnpike coming out of the bat cave, everybody's gonna slow down for no reason at the tunnel... LOL!