PDA

View Full Version : Mom Who Was Ordered to Stop Breastfeeding Is Arrested After Her Baby Dies

tangent4ronpaul
09-12-2013, 08:33 AM
http://www.cafemom.com/group/107447/forums/read/18958937/Smarter_You_No_More_Morning_Madness?prism_id=16051 4&utm_medium=sem2&utm_campaign=prism&utm_source=internal&utm_content=2171.4586

http://cdn-ugc.cafemom.com/gen/constrain/500/500/80/2013/09/02/12/e2/ua/pol23sq680vzc1.jpg

Breast is best ... except when your breastmilk is laced with hardcore drugs. Last year, an 8-month-old baby boy named Ryder Salmen died from a overdose, five months after his mother was found to have high levels of methodone (what drug addicts typically take to wean themselves off heroin) in her blood and told to stop nursing the infant. The mother Sarah Stevens, was recently charged with murder and two counts of child endangerment. All because she refused to do the best thing she possibly could for her baby and use formula instead of her breast. This story is so full of contradictions it boggles the mind!

What on earth was going on in this mother's mind?! -- well, besides her obvious drug addictions, if what is being reported is true. The fact that she even bothered to breastfeed in the first place (hopefully) says something about her.

Most mothers at least try to breastfeed because they know there are so many benefits for their baby -- and for themselves. It's an incredible bonding experience. The pleasure of holding your baby, and giving them what no one else can, can be highly addicting too!

Clearly this woman was in no state-of-mind or condition to take care of that baby -- which is why the child protective services department assigned to her case is now being criticized for not treating this situation with more urgency.

Social workers discovered high levels of drugs in the child's blood after he was brought to the hospital for being "lethargic." Stevens was warned that in order to keep custody of the child, she'd have to stop nursing.

But something fell through the cracks with this plan and it was never agreed upon by managers -- and in the meantime, Stevens was still caring for the child.

Clearly, prosecutors feel that Stevens, regardless of her condition or dependency issues, was still able to make parental decisions or they would not have charged with a crime as hefty as murder. Why that and not manslaughter? Are they suggesting she actually intended to kill her baby with drugs? That would take this crime into a whole new dimension on this case and we shudder at the thought.

What do you make of a murder charge as a result of breastfeeding?

-t

VBRonPaulFan
09-12-2013, 08:37 AM
the story is terrible, but state intervention is not going to help anything at this point. they need to just let her go, she is the one that is going to have to live with the fact that she and she alone was responsible for killing her child.

fr33
09-12-2013, 08:41 AM
Apparently it wasn't only methadone.

Ryder Salmen died September 2012 after overdosing on a fatal mix of Xanax, methadone and the painkiller Opana.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/09/01/5700015/ca-baby-died-of-drug-overdose.html#storylink=cpy

donnay
09-12-2013, 08:42 AM
Wow, that is incredible to say the least. The contradictions are definitely right in your face. So if she decided to have an abortion all would be right with the world but since she chose to have the child and to do what is right, she is a murderer. God help us with this upside down justice.

donnay
09-12-2013, 08:43 AM

Yes, yes...all by prescription. Isn't that sad?

shane77m
09-12-2013, 08:45 AM
Cases like this are what make me torn over CPS. In a way I think they could actually help but mostly I think they get hung up on power trips and incompetence. Considering that she knew she was drugging her child by breastfeeding shows to me that she was an unfit parent. Very sad.

asurfaholic
09-12-2013, 09:11 AM
She should have murdered the baby before it was born, then it would have been ok, and maybe free for her.

mosquitobite
09-12-2013, 09:14 AM
Well, when all her money goes to drugs, how would she have money left over for formula? Breast milk is free.

VIDEODROME
09-12-2013, 09:29 AM
She could have sold her breast milk as a street drug.

Smart3
09-12-2013, 11:44 AM
Why did the baby die? because she killed it.

How is that not murder? She can regret her life decisions behind bars.

Red Green
09-12-2013, 12:10 PM
She should do life. She knowingly killed her child and the methods are just details at this point. Put her in a cage and throw away the key.

jllundqu
09-12-2013, 12:23 PM
Negligent Homicide or Involuntary Manslaughter.... Take your pick. Either way, she is responible for killing her child and deserves the punishment she gets.

Aside from being a truly sad story, why is this an issue?

jkob
09-12-2013, 12:26 PM
I'm not sure about charging her with murder but she should be held responsible. I'm surprised that CPS allowed the child to remain with the mother.

dannno
09-12-2013, 12:27 PM

I've seen studies that babies born to mothers who ingest cannabis during pregnancy actually have improved development. This would be due to increased CBDs that help increase the body's ability to regulate all the various internal functions.

Really a shame it is illegal.

dannno
09-12-2013, 12:33 PM

First of all she was taking all legal prescription drugs that the state says are ok to take. The state says it is not ok to take other substances like cannabis which do not affect development and would not have killed her child. So I think the state is just as responsible if not more responsible for the death than she is.

She's not a danger to anybody so there is no reason to put her behind bars. She didn't kill her child on purpose unless I missed something in the article.

She is an addict because we live in a dysfunctional society due to various big government programs like the war on drugs. I prefer to give these people a break unless I believe they are going to be a danger to others.

AFPVet
09-12-2013, 12:39 PM
I've seen studies that babies born to mothers who ingest cannabis during pregnancy actually have improved development. This would be due to increased CBDs that help increase the body's ability to regulate all the various internal functions.

Really a shame it is illegal.

Not only this... human breast milk naturally contains cannabinoids.

Origanalist
09-12-2013, 05:03 PM

Says the ______ that 100% supports killing babies before they are born. You have nothing to stand on but hypocrisy.

angelatc
09-12-2013, 06:44 PM
Cases like this are what make me torn over CPS. In a way I think they could actually help but mostly I think they get hung up on power trips and incompetence. Considering that she knew she was drugging her child by breastfeeding shows to me that she was an unfit parent. Very sad.

Yes, I am a cold bitch, but I don't care. IMHO CPS makes it too easy for her family to wash their hands. Nobody will blame the family for not getting involved when it's easier to blame a faceless bureaucracy . And having freedom means accepting that other people are going to fuck up. Children do not belong to the state, they do not belong to a society - they belong to the parents. Even when that's not the best thing for them.

And that's why Libertarianism will never succeed. Once someone plays "The Children!" card, you lose, because everybody cares about the children.

angelatc
09-12-2013, 06:44 PM
Says the ______ that 100% supports killing babies before they are born. You have nothing to stand on but hypocrisy.

Just block it. It's a troll.

angelatc
09-12-2013, 06:49 PM
I like this comment:

The lazy writing in this article (and in the article linked within the article) uses the passive voice to indicate that the mother was told to stop breast feeding, but not by whom. It does say that the baby's blood showed "high levels" of methadone, but not what that means. People often misinterpret what appropriate levels are.
The problem is so many people are misinformed about methadone maintenance treatment (MMT). Misinformed CPS caseworkers (I know that's redundant) routinely tell new mothers on MMT not to breast feed, and articles like this feed into that.

A well-written, thorough, and unbiased article would have:
1. Not used inflammatory language such as "drug-laced breastmilk"
2. Included specific information about the medical direction she was given
3. Included information (not conjecture and implications) about the determined
cause of death
4. Included the fact that taking methadone while breast feeding is acceptable
5. Included any sort of medical information whatsoever
Trying to determine anything medically sound from the words and actions of the police, CPS, or attorneys is a fool's errand.

Origanalist
09-12-2013, 10:22 PM
Yes, I am a cold bitch, but I don't care. IMHO CPS makes it too easy for her family to wash their hands. Nobody will blame the family for not getting involved when it's easier to blame a faceless bureaucracy . And having freedom means accepting that other people are going to fuck up. Children do not belong to the state, they do not belong to a society - they belong to the parents. Even when that's not the best thing for them.

And that's why Libertarianism will never succeed. Once someone plays "The Children!" card, you lose, because everybody cares about the children.

Oh ye of little faith. Never stop saying just what you said.

Anti Federalist
09-12-2013, 10:32 PM
What can be solved by putting this woman in a rape cage for the rest of her life?

MichaelDavis
09-12-2013, 10:38 PM
the story is terrible, but state intervention is not going to help anything at this point. they need to just let her go, she is the one that is going to have to live with the fact that she and she alone was responsible for killing her child.

She killed her child after she was TOLD that her milk was conaminated. This is no different than her giving the child methodone directly. This is child abuse homicide and she should be in jail. A similar case occured when a mother forced her daugher to drink large amounts of water, as a punishment, until she died. http://www.deseretnews.com/article/635174544/Killpack-receives-prison-sentence.html?pg=all

mczerone
09-12-2013, 10:39 PM

This is a reason I like Stephan Molyneux's approach. It's all about the children, it's about stopping child abuse, and it's about helping people better themselves.

No one can listen to him say "stop hitting your kids!" and retort "but what about the children!?"

Danke
09-12-2013, 10:49 PM
She could have sold her breast milk as a street drug.

Ice Cream!!

The Free Hornet
09-12-2013, 11:31 PM
Wow, that is incredible to say the least. The contradictions are definitely right in your face. So if she decided to have an abortion all would be right with the world but since she chose to have the child and to do what is right, she is a murderer. God help us with this upside down justice.

She should have murdered the baby before it was born, then it would have been ok, and maybe free for her.

What cause is that helping? Protecting life and liberty is primarily our responsibility, not the government's. We can imbue it with idealistic notions but these will be lost on the next office holder. The government establishes (here) that they aren't very effective at saving babies and I'm getting the vibe that maybe you want them to start their efforts earlier? When a little government doesn't work, just add more...

There is the lack of "premeditated malice" (https://duckduckgo.com/?q=define+murder), IMO. Also her actions, though foolish, may not be "unlawful" (unless deliberate intent to kill is established). Like when circumcision causes death (http://www.circumstitions.com/death.html), we don't - AFAIK - charge the parents with murder however foolish their actions.

Followed by....

Says the ______ [seriously?] that 100% supports killing babies before they are born. You have nothing to stand on but hypocrisy.

Misrepresenting somebody else's opinion will not save any babies. Do you want Smart3 to be consistent with past opinions or yours? Which opinion of his are you trying to change? Also, if he literally has nothing to stand on "but hypocrisy", then you are undercutting his position to punish the mother. Good. What we ought to be saving here is the taxpayers' money. CPS is a waste. Prison is a waste.

Just block it. It's a troll.

I doubt it (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29).

Origanalist
09-13-2013, 12:04 AM
Misrepresenting somebody else's opinion will not save any babies. Do you want Smart3 to be consistent with past opinions or yours? Which opinion of his are you trying to change?

I'm not misrepresenting anybody's opinion or trying to change his opinion. He's been quite clear on the subject. I am undercutting his position, because he is a hypocrite. He fully supports murdering a baby before it is born, but yells 'put her in prison!' if a baby dies because a mother has a drug problem. And yes CPS is more than a waste, it is a instrument of evil.

And yes, seriously.

angelatc
09-13-2013, 01:00 AM
She killed her child after she was TOLD that her milk was conaminated. This is no different than her giving the child methodone directly. l (http://www.deseretnews.com/article/635174544/Killpack-receives-prison-sentence.html?pg=all)

Perhaps you didn't read far enough down, but methadone patients can indeed breastfeed.

angelatc
09-13-2013, 01:03 AM
I doubt it (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29).

No, I am serious. Watch him. He almost always delivers his payload then leaves. Occasionally he'll stay for a post or two, but as soon as someone points out that "facts" he just pulled out of the air are indeed entirely fabricated, he disappears again.

angelatc
09-13-2013, 01:05 AM
This is a reason I like Stephan Molyneux's approach. It's all about the children, it's about stopping child abuse, and it's about helping people better themselves.

No one can listen to him say "stop hitting your kids!" and retort "but what about the children!?"

He's a bald-headed freak that can't die soon enough to suit me. Sorry if I insulted the cult.

amy31416
09-13-2013, 03:25 AM
Perhaps you didn't read far enough down, but methadone patients can indeed breastfeed.

I can't back this up at the moment, but it may be better for the baby if the baby is addicted. Sudden removal of such a substance can trigger events that cause death.