PDA

View Full Version : New federal consumer 'protection' bureau data-mining Americans' private financial records

green73
09-10-2013, 02:54 PM
Serious allegations are being raised in the legal community that the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau has recruited the U.S. Trustee Program to collect bankruptcy data on its behalf to aid a controversial data-mining program.

Documents obtained by the Washington Examiner describe efforts by the CFPB to collect a decade's worth of private financial data on the consumer behavior of five million American citizens without their knowledge or consent. The CFPB data-mining campaign has alarmed privacy watchdogs.

The USTP was created by Congress in 1978 to be a rigorously neutral agency within the U.S. Department of Justice. Its attorneys are supposed to be "impartial” and to serve as a “watchdog over the bankruptcy process,” according to the agency's website.

If USTP is aiding CFPB’s data-mining program in any manner, bankruptcy authorities argue it would constitute an “unprecedented” violation of the organization's reason for being and destroy its independence.

Officials with CFPB and USTP were reluctant to respond to questions about their agencies' relationship and the data-mining program.

cont
http://washingtonexaminer.com/article/2535482

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
09-10-2013, 02:58 PM

I thought this was news around 95 or so. I'm sure their technology is improving, but their intent has always remained the same.

ZENemy
09-10-2013, 02:58 PM
I really enjoyed using my AMEX these past few years.

Im going all cash.

green73
09-10-2013, 03:01 PM
I thought this was news around 95 or so. I'm sure their technology is improving, but their intent has always remained the same.

???