PDA

View Full Version : Forget Syria, Somebody Caught a Fish!! Fine Him! Plaster his Photo in the Paper!

dannno
09-10-2013, 02:47 PM
Caught by a hidden camera in the woods!! Seriously! The perp commented at the bottom and turns out half the story of bogus.

http://www.independent.com/news/2013/sep/09/fisherman-fined-catching-steelhead/

Fisherman Fined for Catching Steelhead
Fish and Wildlife Warden Follows Trail of Evidence

Monday, September 9, 2013
By Lyz Hoffman

Don’t think that fishing for endangered species will fly in Santa Barbara. Such was the lesson learned by two men earlier this year when their attempts to hook southern steelhead trout at Atascadero Creek were uncovered by a hidden camera and some Fish and Wildlife detective work.

In April, environmental scientists in charge of monitoring the fish spotted a number of them in the creek. The scientists, worried that others could also find the endangered fish and might want to catch them, set up a motion-activated camera by the waterway to keep an eye on any activity. Soon after, the camera caught two men — later identified as Kyle Chase Dillard, 20, and Jason Wayne Kautz, 21 — fishing in the creek. The photos showed Dillard catching what scientists identified to be one of the trout.

Luckily for Fish and Wildlife warden Brandon Alisio, the men left behind the price tag and packaging of one of their fishing poles. Using his sleuthing skills, Alisio took the price tag and packaging to Sports Authority, where he looked over the retailer’s surveillance footage and saw the two men buying the fishing pole. With help from the store, Alisio was able to tie the purchase to a customer loyalty card with a Santa Barbara address.

http://media.independent.com/img/photos/2013/09/09/PRMS0702_Steelhead_Fishngw.jpg
Kyle Dillard, caught on camera April 14, 2013, pleaded guilty to illegally fishing an endangered species and was subsequently fined.

At that address — one of the men’s parents’ house — Alisio and warden Scott Cohen found Dillard and Kautz, who both admitted to fishing in the creek. Dillard said that he had caught the fish seen in the photos but added that it swam away when his fishing line broke.

In July, Dillard pleaded guilty to misdemeanor unlawful handling of an endangered species and was ordered to pay a $375 fine, said the Santa Barbara County District Attorney’s Office. The charges against Kautz were dropped.

According to Fish and Wildlife, the act of killing or capturing, or attempting to kill or capture, an endangered species is illegal, as is fishing in anadromous bodies of water, meaning those that that flow to the ocean as Atascadero Creek does. The organization’s website states that southern steelhead trout are born in freshwater streams, migrate to the ocean for a bit, and return to the streams to spawn. Alisio said that it was normal for the fish to be in Atascadero Creek but added that they are not found there every year.

Statist comment #1

Wow, hooking steelhead AND leaving trash behind. Did he even have a fishing license? All that info is on there. Great detective work.

Nitz (anonymous profile)
September 9, 2013 at 1:20 p.m. (Suggest removal)

My reply:

Ahh, poor kids, they probably had no idea they were doing anything wrong.

Meanwhile Samuel Clemens is turning in his grave.

"They say if you give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. But if you teach a man to fish...then he has to get a fishing license. But he doesn't have any money, so he has to get a job and enter the social security system. And he has to file taxes, and you're gonna audit the poor son of a bitch because he's not really good at math. You pull the IRS van up to his house and take everything. You take his velvet Elvis and his toothbrush and it all goes up for auction with the burden of proof on him because he forgot to carry the 1. All because he wanted to eat a fish, and he couldn't even cook the fish because you need a permit for an open flame. And then the health department is gonna wanna ask him a bunch of questions about where he's going to dispose of the scales and the guts - this is not a sanitary environment. And ladies and gentleman, if you get sick and tired of all this at the end of the day, it's not even legal to kill yourself in this country. You were born free and you got f'd out of half of it, and you wave a flag celebrating that fact. If you wanna fix the pledge of allegiance, put a disclaimer at the end: With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states."

-Doug Stanhope

loonpt (anonymous profile)
September 9, 2013 at 1:58 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Sensible comment:

Were there 'No Fishing' signs posted? In English and Spanish? Who are the environmental scientists? How many cameras do they have spying on the public?

ramoncramon (anonymous profile)
September 9, 2013 at 5:11 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Two more statist comments:

Hurrah! Good work, CA Fish and Wildlife!

at_large (anonymous profile)
September 9, 2013 at 8:17 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Great detective work. I am so happy these fish are being protected from cretins who think it's okay to hunt and kill anything they please. Hooray.

chilldrinfthenight (anonymous profile)
September 9, 2013 at 11:20 p.m. (Suggest removal)

And comment left by the perp:

Ok.... First off wtf!? i did not catch a steelhead nor did I leave trash behind. My friend kyle accidentally hooked the one steelhead and immediately released it unharmed. We did not know fishing was restricted here seeing as how their were no signs posted whatsoever. We were only fishing for sculpin, clipped our barbs and were releasing everything we caught. I think its pretty ridiculous that their was a camera hidden in the bushes but know one bothered to put up signs that said it was restricted. How were we supposed to know? We intended no harm to the wildlife and grew up here in Santa Barbara and love nature. Also, I dont see how this is news worthy considering all of the important stuff going on in the world right now

jwkautz2 (anonymous profile)
September 10, 2013 at 12:29 p.m. (Suggest removal)

3 Felonies a day.

ClydeCoulter
09-10-2013, 02:54 PM
Sneaky bastards.

It used to be just speed signs nestled in the trees, now cameras in the trees. :mad:

satchelmcqueen
09-10-2013, 03:12 PM
wy didnt they just say they were fishing for regular fish? ya cant really help what bites!

dannno
09-10-2013, 03:12 PM
Sneaky bastards.

It used to be just speed signs nestled in the trees, now cameras in the trees. :mad:

Ya and they don't even post the law..

dannno
09-10-2013, 03:14 PM
wy didnt they just say they were fishing for regular fish? ya cant really help what bites!

That's what they were doing, but apparently it is illegal to fish for anything there.. and their fine was for a law that says catch or attempt to catch..

oyarde
09-11-2013, 12:42 AM
Moral of the story , by used fishing poles , pay cash, eat more steelhead .LOL

newswire
09-11-2013, 12:50 AM
and where was paparazzi? on the tree?

Airborn
09-11-2013, 01:58 AM
last week while on a 2 day fishing trip in south louisiana marsh, at about 8:40 pm two game wardens pulled up on me and my friends and give us all a ticket for "night time activities on a WMA(Wildlife Management Area)" I've fished the area 3 times before that and knew of the WMA up the road/marsh some but didn't realize the area i was fishing was WMA, nor did I know that nighttime activities were not allowed. A warning would have been nice! I hate getting ticketed and fined for something I had no knowledge of. And I'm one that respects and agrees with most wildlife laws when it comes to limits, but alot of it is just ridiculous, and nothing more then a way for agencies to racket money.

Another bullshit law that causes many problems here in Louisiana is that you can be charged/fined/arrested for traveling open waters,bayous,canals, marshes, ect that are private property that are connected to public waterways and law in Louisiana is that private property does not need to be posted. So you can be charged for traveling down a canal off of a main river if canal/bayou is private property and owner doesn't want boaters/fishermen on it even without it being posted/gated. In the marshes and spillways/swamps this becomes even more confusing as knowing where you can go.

I'm all for private property and land owners being able to dig and connect canals to major waterways, but i don't agree with you being charged with trespassing if there are no posted signs, or if bayou isn't gated off, or without some kind of warning.

tod evans
09-11-2013, 02:19 AM
How many thousands of tax-dollars were spent pursuing these ruthless criminals?

How many more were spent prosecuting them/him and contriving the publicity?

Our country needs more cops/prosecutors in order to provide fine services such as this..:mad:

dannno
09-11-2013, 11:32 AM
The mother of one of the boys commented at the bottom, they are very upset. And we got this guy Herschel_Greenspan in there commenting now who I have been arguing with about Syria in some other articles on that website. Herschel is one of those posters that gives you the impression they might be a govt. agent posting propaganda on the internet.

HOLLYWOOD
09-11-2013, 11:51 AM
In the rigged JUST-US System... there is no excuse or exception for ignorance of law according to the authoritarians.

SO in other words... you must study and know the laws of EVERY single, City, County, State, and Federal code on the books. In other words, you have to be a certified Paralegal in 1,000s of jurisdictions across the country.

THAT'S THE BIG CON of the Government REVENUE SCAMS of TODAY.

PS: I wonder if you can sue the Department of Education(all levels and jurisdictions) for not educating the citizen of all the laws? :rolleyes:

3 Felonies A Day... yep

SeanTX
09-11-2013, 11:56 AM
How many thousands of tax-dollars were spent pursuing these ruthless criminals?

Too much. I'm about to go buy my new fishing license, I really don't want to though, and I suspect it will be a few dollars higher than last year. They keep raising the price, while decreasing the amount of fish stocked (which is what the license is supposed to be paying for).

I suspect most of the $35 or so will be going to pay for the salary and benefits of the game wardens who are out every weekend checking licenses and handing out tickets for other petty things. I'd rather go back to the days when we had a minimal number of game wardens and more money spent on stocking new fish.

TonySutton
09-11-2013, 12:22 PM
Buy land, build pond, stock with fish, avoid all government entanglements