PDA

View Full Version : Common Core Indoctrination

Bastiat's The Law
09-09-2013, 05:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rGph7QHzmo8#t=296

green73
09-18-2013, 09:32 AM
bump! How could this have gotten no comments?

catfeathers
09-18-2013, 10:19 AM
bump! How could this have gotten no comments?

Probably because it's a little long to watch. It is disturbing, I'd like to see some of the other books myself. It reminds me of some of the reading books I had to use in the 70's and 80's. The questions we had to answer always had something to do with the character's feelings like: how did the character feel? or how would he feel if this happened instead? I didn't like that type of question so when I home schooled my youngest son I rejected books that used that type of question. They seemed to be trying to manipulate the child into thinking in a certain way, just as these lessons are.

jllundqu
09-18-2013, 10:40 AM
I'm doing the hybrid homeschool/private school for my kids. Screw the state and the "common core"

ClydeCoulter
09-18-2013, 11:11 AM
Shared, not sure how I missed this.

Lucille
09-19-2013, 06:28 PM
It is sick and appalling.

Commie Core is basically 12 years of community organizing school. No wonder they don't have the time and money to teach cursive writing (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57591586/is-cursive-writing-dead/).

Yeah, in Utah. Great conservative and tea party darling Gov. Jan Brewer and her Republican majority at the state house also welcomed this perversion with open palms. Republicans are worthless.

I can't wait until the whole filthy system comes crashing down.

jjdoyle
09-19-2013, 07:44 PM
It is sick and appalling.

Commie Core is basically 12 years of community organizing school. No wonder they don't have the time and money to teach cursive writing (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57591586/is-cursive-writing-dead/).

Yeah, in Utah. Great conservative and tea party darling Gov. Jan Brewer and her Republican majority at the state house also welcomed this perversion with open palms. Republicans are worthless.

I can't wait until the whole filthy system comes crashing down.

From what I have heard from teachers this year, the new requirements are beyond ridiculous. Another layer of unnecessary, to prevent the necessary basics. Which, in all honesty though, if you're teaching at a public school, you probably shouldn't be complaining considering you'll be getting a nice pension guaranteed by the tax payers for continuing to obey the state and teach children garbage.

Instead, they take their orders and fulfill their orders, like good servants of the state.

RockEnds
09-20-2013, 10:36 AM
Apparently they have a social-emotional literacy program.

http://www.zaner-bloser.com/voices-literature-writing

Silly me. I concentrated on morals in first grade literature.

Lucille
10-02-2013, 01:14 PM
I thought this was relevant (http://www.salon.com/2013/09/21/thats_not_autism_its_simply_a_brainy_introverted_b oy/), since all they want to teach are feelings, they have a "social-emotional literacy program," and evaluations of their attitudes, which will lead to more boys failing in school, and being misdxed with autism and whatever else:

A book I return to every so often is Eleanor Maccoby’s “The Two Sexes.” Her descriptions of boys’ and girls’ different speech styles jive with what I see daily in my office. She maintains, and I agree, that boys’ speech, on average, tends to be more egoistic than girls’. Boys are more apt to brag, interrupt, and talk over others, and ignore commands or suggestions. They are more inclined to grandstand and “hold court,” trying to impress listeners with all that they know. They seem to be less socially attuned than girls. They are less likely to scan the faces and body language of others for cues on whether they should stop talking and start listening—for basic social sensitivity reasons.

Simon Baron-Cohen, the Cambridge University professor who popularized the extreme-male-brain theory of autism, would say that boys’ speech is more egoistic because, overall, boys tend to be less empathic than girls. He backs this up with abundant scientific evidence. Putting yourself in someone else’s shoes to figure out what they might be feeling comes more naturally to girls. Girls are simply more inclined to read a person’s facial expressions in order to make sure that they are coming across sensitively. Faces tend to be sources of social feedback for girls in ways that they are not for boys. Dr. Baron-Cohen’s research team has discovered that even at birth, female infants will look longer at faces than male infants and prolong mutual eye gazing.

Many boys just get perplexed when you try to empathize with them. As an example, I recently had the following interaction with Alan, an eight-year-old:

Alan: In my soccer game over the weekend, the other forwards on my team never passed to me. I was so mad.

Dr. Gnaulati: You were mad because your teammates didn’t pass to you, eh.

Alan: Why are you repeating what I just said? Didn’t you hear me?

This interaction with Alan captures how for many boys, grasping the literal content of their verbalizations matters more than “feeling understood.” Appearing attentive, asking probing questions, and reflecting back what someone is saying may be the empathic glue that cements a friendship for the average female. However, for the average male, following along with and responding to the literal content of what they are saying is what’s deemed valuable. A friend is someone who shares your interests and with whom you can have detailed discussions about these interests.

Watch boys at a sleepover and you’ll quickly realize that they need a joint activity to buttress social interaction and verbal dialogue. If that joint activity is a videogame like Red Dead Redemption, the discussion will be peppered with pragmatic exchanges of information about how best to tame horses, free someone who has been kidnapped, or locate animal pelts. Without a joint activity that taps into their preexisting knowledge about that activity, boys are often at a loss for discussion. There are long silences. Eye contact is avoided. Bodies become more wiggly.

Watch girls at a sleepover and any shared activity they engage in is often secondary to the pleasure they seem to derive from just hanging out and talking.

The stereotype of boys as logical, inflexible, and businesslike in their communication habits is more than just a stereotype. A recent massive study out of the University of Florida involving fifty-four hundred children in the United States ages eight to sixteen indicates that twice as many boys as girls fit this thinking-type temperament. Conversely, twice as many girls as boys fit the feeling-type temperament— tactful, friendly, compassionate, and preferring emotion over logic.

Many boys feel compelled to be logical and exact in their use of language. They withdraw and shut down around people who use language more loosely. A glaring example of this was shown to me recently by a fourteen-year-old client named Jordan. His parents brought him in for therapy because he was racking up school detentions for being rude to teachers. Jordan secretly confessed to me that his English teacher must be dumb because she referred to certain assignments as “homework” when she allowed them to be completed in class. She should have renamed them “schoolwork,” he said, because they were being completed at school. In twenty-five years of therapy practice, I’ve never known a girl to make such a comment.

As educated people, we don’t want to believe in overarching differences in communication styles between the sexes. When I was in college in the 1980s and ’90s, “essentialism” was a dirty word. To believe that males and females might be different in essential ways was akin to admitting that you were unenlightened. There’s still a pervasive sense in our culture that to be educated is to be gender-blind, and there is something of a taboo against voicing aloud explanations for a child’s behavior in terms of his or her gender. If you don’t believe me, try uttering some version of the following statements at your son’s next parent-teacher conference: Jamal is so logical and brusque when he talks. I know he needs all our help to ease up. But these are traditional masculine behaviors, after all, and we might need to accept him more for who he is. Or, Billy overtalks and really needs an audience, especially when he has a new favorite hobby or interest. He needs to be a better listener. But he’s not unlike a lot of boys I know.