PDA

View Full Version : Mitt Romney Donors Quietly Courted By Potential 2016 Candidates

Suzanimal
09-09-2013, 08:47 AM
Mitt Romney Donors Quietly Courted By Potential 2016 Candidates
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/09/mitt-romney-donors_n_3893277.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

Half a dozen Republican leaders weighing presidential bids are expected to attend a Sept. 23 fundraiser at the home of senior Romney donor Woody Johnson, owner of the New York Jets. The attendees, who include Christie, Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul and Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan, will also attend a Washington fundraiser for Iowa Gov. Terry Branstad the next day. The Washington event was organized, in part, by Lisa Spies, the wife of the pro-Romney super PAC founder, who helped raise more than $23 million last year as head of the Romney campaign's women's outreach program.

It's unclear how much influence Romney maintains over his former fundraising network, but he addressed the 2016 election last month at a New Hampshire Republican Party fundraiser, calling on his party to "stay smart," in part, by backing candidates who can win.

"My guess is that every one of the contenders would be better than whoever the Democrats put up," Romney said. "But there will only be one or perhaps two who actually could win the election in November."

While Romney didn't name names, donors privately suggest that they'd likely avoid conservative firebrands like Paul or Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, or those like Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker who have been critical of Romney's campaign. Romney's network has shown an early interest in Rubio in particular.

Just this year alone, Rubio's PAC has attracted donations from seven Romney "bundlers" – a term used to describe people who help steer contributions from several donors to a candidate – that generated a combined $1.8 million for Romney's campaign, according to campaign finance reports. Another four Romney bundlers are organizing a Washington fundraising reception for Rubio later this month.

Christie, by contrast, has received donations from just two Romney bundlers this year so far.

Sigh...it's looking like the big money is going to Rubio. :(

supermario21
09-09-2013, 09:06 AM
Rubio is such a dud that I'd prefer he gets the big money over someone like Christie.

ItsTime
09-09-2013, 09:08 AM
Big donors are more reluctant than ever to donate this election cycle. Grassroots will have to feed our candidates. But that is nothing new to us. The establishment will have a hard time being funded.

Mr.NoSmile
09-09-2013, 09:08 AM
While Romney didn't name names, donors privately suggest that they'd likely avoid conservative firebrands like Paul or Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, or those like Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker who have been critical of Romney's campaign. Romney's network has shown an early interest in Rubio in particular.

Amazing how much so-called 'influence' a businessman like Romney's campaign can have on the GOP of today. And people talk of the Party trying to become less inclusive...

jtstellar
09-09-2013, 09:32 AM
that's ok

we'll have the force of the entire social media behind us. no money can buy that. not to mention msm has taken a liking on rand these days. it will cost billions if you have nothing and want to buy everything with money, so these big donors won't be given a free pass in influencing election outcomes. in fact the more they expose themselves as traitors.. well, i'm pretty sure there will be an intellectual revolution sometime within the next decade, so you know what will happen to them

asurfaholic
09-09-2013, 09:41 AM
Wow lol @ romney suggesting that he knows what it takes to pick a "winning" candidate. What a total complete joke.

2012 should have been the easiest republican win ever.

PSYOP
09-09-2013, 10:29 AM
Wow lol @ romney suggesting that he knows what it takes to pick a "winning" candidate. What a total complete joke.

2012 should have been the easiest republican win ever.

Republicans don't care -- they proved that in 2012 with their disgusting treatment of Dr. Ron Paul, and do not worry, they'll prove it again in 2016 when they nominate Jeb Bush, Chris Christie, Marco Rubio, ect. Hilary Clinton 2016 just so I can have the pleasure of watching the GOP yet again crash and burn in their own excrement.

thoughtomator
09-09-2013, 10:30 AM
The mission of these donors is to produce a candidate who will reliably lose to a Democrat they already own.

willwash
09-09-2013, 10:34 AM
[QUOTE=Suzanimal;5217338]Mitt Romney Donors Quietly Courted By Potential 2016 Candidates
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/09/mitt-romney-donors_n_3893277.html?utm_hp_ref=politics
[\quote]

Dude, I'm happy rand was even invited to this thing. Of course the establishment hacks are going to pick a neocon, but 2 years ago the thought of inviting Ron Paul to one of these neocon suckfests would have been met with laughter. At least they are forced to acknowledge his existence as a contender.

FSP-Rebel
09-09-2013, 10:48 AM
Dude, I'm happy rand was even invited to this thing. Of course the establishment hacks are going to pick a neocon, but 2 years ago the thought of inviting Ron Paul to one of these neocon suckfests would have been met with laughter. At least they are forced to acknowledge his existence as a contender.
Pretty much, any money we can get from those types is a bonus.

VoluntaryAmerican
09-09-2013, 11:08 AM
Rubio is such a dud that I'd prefer he gets the big money over someone like Christie.

so was Romney, and he won.

CaptUSA
09-09-2013, 11:16 AM
Too soon to start the 2020 run? I can see it now... Rand Paul - the eye doctor with 20/20 vision!

whoisjohngalt
09-09-2013, 04:20 PM
Republicans don't care -- they proved that in 2012 with their disgusting treatment of Dr. Ron Paul, and do not worry, they'll prove it again in 2016 when they nominate Jeb Bush, Chris Christie, Marco Rubio, ect. Hilary Clinton 2016 just so I can have the pleasure of watching the GOP yet again crash and burn in their own excrement.

If Rand is not the nominee, I'll stand next to you with my Hillary sign, but let's not resign ourselves to Rand losing the nomination just yet.

Mr.NoSmile
09-09-2013, 04:39 PM
We really ought to pounce on the whole 'What makes electable?' I mean, people kept saying "Romney looks presidential," "Ann Romney looks like a first lady," when all the party did was nominate a businessman turned governor turned forced presidential candidate. And by pouncing, I don't mean the whole 'No one but Paul' mantra. That's as divisive as the GOP saying everyone needs to shut up and get in line behind Romney. I mean, Rand Paul, for all folks give him, is at least [I]talking to state parties about expanding and growing the GOP so it looks more diverse, as the Democratic Party does now. He's at least trying to get folks to step up their recruitment, talks of looking like America and molding his rhetoric. Aside from being a token minority in a Party that's done a good job at pushing them away, what does Rubio have that makes him so presidential? We've seen his State of the Union response.

philipped
09-09-2013, 06:54 PM
FUCK Mitt Romney and anybody who fucks with him.

Dianne
09-09-2013, 07:18 PM
Like "Night of the living dead" ... not sure who sucked the brains out of this Congress.. Looking at John Kerry, he's been dead about 10 years... what is keeping him talking, and walking as a corpse?

goRPaul
09-09-2013, 07:19 PM
Too soon to start the 2020 run? I can see it now... Rand Paul - the eye doctor with 20/20 vision!

Exactly. I think he needs to secure another term in the senate before running. This gives him a little more time to prove himself, and besides, Kentucky doesn't allow him to run for Senate & President at the same time. I don't want him to be a one term wonder.

Brian4Liberty
09-09-2013, 07:57 PM
Romney's network has shown an early interest in Rubio in particular.

That would be incredibly foolish. Rubio has as much voter and grassroots support these days as Obama's Syria bombing plan.

tennman
09-09-2013, 08:22 PM

Or...we could bust it and elect Rand Paul as the GOP nominee and then watch him bring the Constitution back to the White House and liberty to the people.

Jackie Moon
09-10-2013, 05:25 AM

Pretty much, any money we can get from those types is a bonus.

That's how I feel. I think it's great that Rand is already so big that they can't just ignore him.

Like "Night of the living dead" ... not sure who sucked the brains out of this Congress.. Looking at John Kerry, he's been dead about 10 years... what is keeping him talking, and walking as a corpse?

http://media.virbcdn.com/cdn_images/resize_1024x1365/bd/a6aa87177c2f5fe1-Thomas_Massie_Zombies_In_Washington_Small.png (http://wearsmyliberty.com/liberty-blog/13867011/thomas-massie-zombies-in-congress)

Exactly. I think he needs to secure another term in the senate before running. This gives him a little more time to prove himself, and besides, Kentucky doesn't allow him to run for Senate & President at the same time. I don't want him to be a one term wonder.

Choosing to be on the ballot for Senate instead of President in the Kentucky primary wouldn't be a problem. There's such a small chance that Kentucky's delegates would be the deciding factor in who the nominee is.

For the general election I see your point. If he were the nominee he wouldn't be able to run for Senate and could potentially lose both. That would suck. He's already influencing discussion and having an impact as a Senator. But even just being nominated would give us such a huge platform to speak from. Look at what Ron was able to accomplish in just the GOP debates and then imagine an audience of 100 million.

And since I think he has a good shot to actually win I personally think it's worth the risk. I understand the other side though.