PDA

View Full Version : Abu Dhabi will own citibank

seapilot
11-28-2007, 12:00 PM
They dont have to invade us, China and middle east countries just will buy us.
http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/nov2007/gb20071127_878991.htm?chan=rss_topStories_ssi_5

enjerth
11-28-2007, 04:44 PM
They dont have to invade us, China and middle east countries just will buy us.
http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/nov2007/gb20071127_878991.htm?chan=rss_topStories_ssi_5

That's the kind of thing I heard would happen when the dollar loses international support. Dump the dollar by purchasing US land and companies. You can't just GIVE the dollar back.

angelatc
11-28-2007, 04:48 PM
I alos heard that the real estate market in Manhattan is holding up pretty well, because the international investors are snatching up condos "cheap" since our dollar is so depressed.

Lexx78
11-28-2007, 06:12 PM
there goes the neighbourhood...

apc3161
11-28-2007, 06:22 PM
There is nothing wrong with Abu Dhabi owning citibank in any way shape or form.

1) we have open capital markets, we allow our citizens to buy foreign assets and we allow foreign citizens to buy our assets

2) Its not like anyone is being forced at gunpoint to sell their stake in the company. They are doing so because they believe they can take that money and do more good with it elsewhere. Purchasing and selling is a voluntary action on both sides!

seapilot
11-28-2007, 06:34 PM
There is nothing wrong with Abu Dhabi owning citibank in any way shape or form.

1) we have open capital markets, we allow our citizens to buy foreign assets and we allow foreign citizens to buy our assets

2) Its not like anyone is being forced at gunpoint to sell their stake in the company. They are doing so because they believe they can take that money and do more good with it elsewhere. Purchasing and selling is a voluntary action on both sides!

Except thanks to our congress insane spending China and middle eastern block countries now have all that money to invest instead of us. The only thing of value to buy with US dollars is US assets.

rodent
11-28-2007, 06:39 PM
I alos heard that the real estate market in Manhattan is holding up pretty well, because the international investors are snatching up condos "cheap" since our dollar is so depressed.

Yeah, I used to live on the Upper West Side. When I tried to buy, I realized that I'd have to go into substantial debt even for a studio apartment. So, I then moved to Washington Heights as a renter.

Washington Heights was one of the cocaine distribution capitals of the US in the early 90s. Now, a condo here can cost $400,000 to $500,000.

fsk
11-28-2007, 07:10 PM
There's nothing wrong with renting and investing the difference in the stock market.

Real estate appreciates only around 6%/year, while the market goes up 10%/year or more.

Real estate has huge transaction costs. Stock investments are liquid.

If you buy a condo, you don't just pay property taxes, you also pay management fees to the condo association. Co-ops are even worse.

IMHO, I'm a good enough investor that my stock investments outperform what a real estate investment would yield.