PDA

View Full Version : Police Officer Shot By Small Child At Reading Event

angelatc
09-08-2013, 09:53 AM
http://www.guns.com/2013/09/06/police-officer-shot-reading-event-child-pulls-trigger-holstered-glock-video/

A Lodi Police SWAT officer was shot in the leg at a children’s reading event in Lodi, California, when a young boy was able to pull the trigger of his department issue Glock 35 (http://us.glock.com/products/model/g35gen4) with attached weapon-light.
http://www.guns.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Screen-shot-2013-09-05-at-9.21.53-PM-e1378441497370-300x209.png (http://www.guns.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Screen-shot-2013-09-05-at-9.21.53-PM-e1378441497370.png)
The Lodi Police Officer was carrying a Glock 35 with attached weapon-light.

“It doesn’t have an external safety or anything like that,” explained Lt. Sierra Brucia. “The gun functioned how it was supposed to. When the trigger was pulled, the gun went off.”
The shooting occurred while the officer was showing children the department’s SWAT truck, vests and other gear at Reading Roundup, a children’s event on Aug. 24.
“A small child, witnesses tell us was 6 to 8 years old, was able to walk up to the officer and was able to pull the trigger,” Brucia continued.

tod evans
09-08-2013, 09:55 AM
Poor kid!

They'll be scared of firearms from now on.

Fuck the cop!

Origanalist
09-08-2013, 09:57 AM
What the &*(^^ is SWAT doing at a children's event? The states brainwashing is never ending and omnipresent.

Anti Federalist
09-08-2013, 11:19 AM
And this goes right here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeGD7r6s-zU

Anti Federalist
09-08-2013, 11:29 AM
Off topic, but probably my primary dislike of the Glock: ease of unintentional discharge.

And yeah yeah yeah, I know, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

The fact remains: the trigger safety design of the Glock makes unintentional discharges more apt to occur.

Anti Federalist
09-08-2013, 11:29 AM
What the &*(^^ is SWAT doing at a children's event? The states brainwashing is never ending and omnipresent.

It was a "Reading Roundup".

What better way to pass time in prison than reading?

heavenlyboy34
09-08-2013, 11:42 AM
And far more obvious than only ~20 years ago when D.A.R.E. began creeping into government schools.

Carson
09-08-2013, 12:14 PM
“It doesn’t have an external safety or anything like that,” explained Lt. Sierra Brucia. “The gun functioned how it was supposed to. When the trigger was pulled, the gun went off.”

Kind of what makes them a good personal defense weapon.

You may not need a gun in a day or in a month. When you do need one you need it mighty darn quick!

The simplicity of a Glock makes it awesome in this respect. It can be under a bed, or glove-box, or anywhere till the time arises and you don't have to stop and re-train yourself. No safety switch to question whether it's on or off now.

Just pull the trigger and bang. That sucker's going off.

All you have to do to add anther level of safety is keep a round out of the chamber. Then you've only added the jacking a shell in, AND BANG! you just know it's going to work.

Carson
09-08-2013, 12:18 PM
Wait till next years, "Round Up" and the kids are all bummed out at the lack of gunfire.

aGameOfThrones
09-08-2013, 01:00 PM
This happened because they weren't on a Gun Free Zone. Only police should have guns. He should have had No Hesitation the kid.

angelatc
09-08-2013, 01:01 PM
For the rest of his life, this kid can wear a shirt that says "I shot a cop and totally got away with it."

Dr.3D
09-08-2013, 01:08 PM
What was his pistol doing out of the holster? Most every holster I've encountered, covers the trigger guard as well as the trigger. There is supposed to be no way the trigger can be activated while the pistol is in it's holster.

Tod
09-08-2013, 01:38 PM
What was his pistol doing out of the holster? Most every holster I've encountered, covers the trigger guard as well as the trigger. There is supposed to be no way the trigger can be activated while the pistol is in it's holster.

I believe it was holstered in a low-cut holster, which is not a proper holster for any handgun, especially a Glock.

Brian4Liberty
09-08-2013, 01:38 PM
Officers are looking for the child and his parents, but only to ask him how he was able to pull the trigger.

The weapon was discharged while the officer was showing off the police department’s SWAT truck, vests, and other tactical gear.

“Hopefully, speaking to the child’s parents to find out how they were able to get access to the officer’s gun, what the child’s intent may have been – we don’t know if was accidental or unintentional.”

Yeah, that makes sense. Gotta find out intent. Maybe it was pre-planned by the child and parents. :rolleyes:

It is believed the source of trouble may have been the attached weapon-light, as the holster must be larger to accommodate the system, thereby making the trigger more accessible.

Hard to shove it down in the holster with the flashlight attached.

Brian4Liberty
09-08-2013, 01:41 PM
All you have to do to add anther level of safety is keep a round out of the chamber. Then you've only added the jacking a shell in, AND BANG! you just know it's going to work.

That's a good rule for a Glock. No need for a round in the chamber until you are ready to fire.

Dr.3D
09-08-2013, 01:45 PM
So it seems it was the fault of the officer who decided a flashlight was needed and then failed to upgrade his holster to safely accept the modified pistol.

FriedChicken
09-08-2013, 01:52 PM
And this goes right here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeGD7r6s-zU

I've always liked this video but is there any media coverage to prove that it's real? The more I watch it makes me wonder ...

pcosmar
09-08-2013, 02:00 PM
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2011/07/for-some-reason-adorable-kids-are-holding-big-ass-guns/

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/4/2011/07/500x_kidswithguns.jpg

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/4/2011/07/500x_kidswithguns3.jpg

beejep
July 7, 2011 12:19 pm

Looks like a scene from Starship Troopers!

tedj
July 7, 2011 3:22 pm

Would you like to know more?

aGameOfThrones
09-08-2013, 03:19 PM
I hope the parents sue for negligence and mental anguish.

DGambler
09-08-2013, 03:28 PM
Maybe the parents have been telling their child that cops are evil?

Henry Rogue
09-08-2013, 04:16 PM
Maybe the parents have been telling their child that cops are evil?
Blow back.

Anti Federalist
09-08-2013, 05:24 PM
I've always liked this video but is there any media coverage to prove that it's real? The more I watch it makes me wonder ...

No, it's real.

Officer Paige lost IIRC.

DEA agent who shot self in foot sues over Internet video

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-6061397-7.html

by Declan McCullagh - April 14, 2006 12:02 PM PDT

Only highly trained federal agents know how to handle firearms safely, right? And the rest of us should be gently disarmed?

In a remarkable video that's made the rounds on the Internet, Drug Enforcement Administration agent Lee Paige solemnly informed his audience at the Orlando Youth Minority Golf Association that he was the only one in the room knowledgeable enough to handle a firearm safely.

A moment later, he shot himself in the foot.

Limping and hobbling around the room, and presumably leaving a bloody trail along the way, Paige tried to put the best face on this publicly embarrassing incident. He even attempted to continue with the prepared spiel, pointing to what looks like an AR-15 style rifle and assuring everyone it was honestly, truly unloaded -- until the snickers from the crowd got a little too intense and he fled the room as quickly as his new wound would allow.

(One wonders if the crowd shouldn't have fled instead when Paige went for the battle rifle, given his demonstrated inability to safely handle a Glock handgun a moment earlier. "It's an empty weapon, guys," he shouted, trying to make himself heard over the hoots and jeers.)

Anyway, the shooting-himself-in-the-foot incident was recorded on video, it ended up in the hands of the DEA, and somehow it ended up on the Internet and TV. It's archived on the TheSmokingGun.com.

So Paige did what any highly-trained-in-handgun-safety special agent would do when held up to public ridicule: He sued the government.

The complaint posted this week says: "As a result of the disclosure... by the DEA, Mr. Paige became and is the target of jokes, derision, ridicule, and disparaging comments... Because he became highly recognizable as a result of the disclosure of the videotape, Mr. Paige has been unable to act as an undercover agent (and) is no longer permitted or able to give educational motivational speeches and presentations."

We all know the law rarely tracks morality, let alone common sense, but this claim seems unusually bizarre. Isn't it a good thing that Paige is no longer permitted to demonstrate "firearm safety" to children?

aGameOfThrones
09-08-2013, 05:42 PM
No, it's real.

Officer Paige lost IIRC.

DEA agent who shot self in foot sues over Internet video

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-6061397-7.html

by Declan McCullagh - April 14, 2006 12:02 PM PDT

Only highly trained federal agents know how to handle firearms safely, right? And the rest of us should be gently disarmed?

In a remarkable video that's made the rounds on the Internet, Drug Enforcement Administration agent Lee Paige solemnly informed his audience at the Orlando Youth Minority Golf Association that he was the only one in the room knowledgeable enough to handle a firearm safely.

A moment later, he shot himself in the foot.

Limping and hobbling around the room, and presumably leaving a bloody trail along the way, Paige tried to put the best face on this publicly embarrassing incident. He even attempted to continue with the prepared spiel, pointing to what looks like an AR-15 style rifle and assuring everyone it was honestly, truly unloaded -- until the snickers from the crowd got a little too intense and he fled the room as quickly as his new wound would allow.

(One wonders if the crowd shouldn't have fled instead when Paige went for the battle rifle, given his demonstrated inability to safely handle a Glock handgun a moment earlier. "It's an empty weapon, guys," he shouted, trying to make himself heard over the hoots and jeers.)

Anyway, the shooting-himself-in-the-foot incident was recorded on video, it ended up in the hands of the DEA, and somehow it ended up on the Internet and TV. It's archived on the TheSmokingGun.com.

So Paige did what any highly-trained-in-handgun-safety special agent would do when held up to public ridicule: He sued the government.

The complaint posted this week says: "As a result of the disclosure... by the DEA, Mr. Paige became and is the target of jokes, derision, ridicule, and disparaging comments... Because he became highly recognizable as a result of the disclosure of the videotape, Mr. Paige has been unable to act as an undercover agent (and) is no longer permitted or able to give educational motivational speeches and presentations."

We all know the law rarely tracks morality, let alone common sense, but this claim seems unusually bizarre. Isn't it a good thing that Paige is no longer permitted to demonstrate "firearm safety" to children?

That's Ridiculous! ;)

youngbuck
09-08-2013, 06:05 PM
He deserved it. He was clearly completely irresponsible with his firearm, not paying attention to a child grabbing his loaded firearm, which should have been in a holster, thereby denying access to the trigger.

Officers are looking for the child and his parents, but only to ask him how he was able to pull the trigger.
Seriously? The officer wasn't paying attention to the whereabouts of his loaded firearm in relation to children, and it was either not in the holster, or was removed from the holster by the children (which should have never happened if the officer was paying any modicum of attention).

It is believed the source of trouble may have been the attached weapon-light, as the holster must be larger to accommodate the system, thereby making the trigger more accessible.
I call bullshit. Compatible holsters (which, being SWAT, he was surely using) are specifically made to accommodate attached tactical lights.

fisharmor
09-08-2013, 06:14 PM
BWAHAAHAAHAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAHAAAHAAAA!!!!!!

HAAAHAAAAAHAAHAHAAAAHAAHAA!!!!!

heh.
ahem.

Fucking dumbass.

That is all.

fisharmor
09-08-2013, 06:15 PM
Sorry... addendum... I betcha anything the fucktard had an issue holster with his dumbass light on it, and just shoved it all in there with the back end of it sticking out, thinking "Man, I look totally badass this way!"

Edit; yep, called it.

Carson
09-08-2013, 07:21 PM

Media coverage to prove it is real?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?/

Bless your little heart.

Paulbot99
09-08-2013, 07:31 PM
Does this mean guns are too dangerous for police to have?

Anti Federalist
09-08-2013, 07:38 PM
For Mundane to do that, you'd have committed about 20 felonies.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2011/07/for-some-reason-adorable-kids-are-holding-big-ass-guns/

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/4/2011/07/500x_kidswithguns.jpg

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/4/2011/07/500x_kidswithguns3.jpg

Anti Federalist
09-08-2013, 07:39 PM

Ladies and Gentlemen, Today's Winner of the Internet.

/thread

Dr.3D
09-08-2013, 07:40 PM

Yeah, they should only be trusted to us mundanes.

Paulbot99
09-08-2013, 07:51 PM
Thank you, Anti-Federalist.

And, no, Dr. 3D. They should have the exact same gun rights as mundanes. In Illinois, for example, they should be able to have an unloaded gun, locked in a small suitcase, and be unable to get it out and load it unless their life is proven to be in imminent danger.

It's for the safety of themselves and others.

Carson
09-08-2013, 08:47 PM
Yeah, that makes sense. Gotta find out intent. Maybe it was pre-planned by the child and parents. :rolleyes:

Good thinking about the flashlight keeping the pistol from going down in the holster proper. That had to be it.

I hope the officer recovers quickly.

Maybe we can all learn a little from this mishap.

Origanalist
09-08-2013, 08:48 PM

Yes.

Dr.3D
09-08-2013, 08:52 PM

And, no, Dr. 3D. They should have the exact same gun rights as mundanes. In Illinois, for example, they should be able to have an unloaded gun, locked in a small suitcase, and be unable to get it out and load it unless their life is proven to be in imminent danger.

Can't they just keep one bullet in their shirt pocket and use that if they feel they are in imminent danger?

Origanalist
09-08-2013, 08:54 PM
Can't they just keep one bullet in their shirt pocket and use that if they feel they are in imminent danger?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=X9HDSQJdudM

Paulbot99
09-08-2013, 09:30 PM

That's an idea. ;)

angelatc
09-08-2013, 09:37 PM
That's an idea. ;)

Its a stupid idea. Have you seen how fast puppies can run?

Dr.3D
09-08-2013, 09:40 PM
Its a stupid idea. Have you seen how fast puppies can run?

Oh I forgot about that.... the puppy would surly get his licks in before the cop could stop him.

Origanalist
09-08-2013, 09:40 PM
http://rookery.s3.amazonaws.com/1750500/1750854_68e4_625x1000.jpg

youngbuck
09-08-2013, 10:23 PM
Good thinking about the flashlight keeping the pistol from going down in the holster proper. That had to be it. No, I highly doubt that was it. If it had a light on it, it wouldn't really fit in the holster at all, i.e. you couldn't carry or transport it like that without them separating / the gun falling out. Nobody in their right mind, and surely not a SWAT member, would do this.

P.S. I have both types of holsters.

idiom
09-09-2013, 02:56 AM

They should have restricted arms compared to the regular population. It keeps the attitude correct and makes them lean on solid police work.

There is a reason they should have a baton instead of a sword, and we all see what happens when they get swords.

Paulbot99
09-09-2013, 10:15 AM
True. In light of the evidence, then they shouldn't even have a gun.

I was just commenting on the way people in my home state are permitted to exercise their Second Amendment rights in comparison to the cops.

tod evans
09-09-2013, 11:02 AM
All state and federal employees should be prohibited from possessing firearms while "on duty" as a condition of their employment.

Military excluded.