PDA

View Full Version : Capitol of the freest nation on Earth proposes 24-hour waiting period for tattoos

Cleaner44
09-07-2013, 07:17 PM
24-hour waiting period proposed for D.C. tattoos, piercings
Some popular impulse purchases — tattoos and body piercings — could soon become less impulsive if District health regulators have their way.

A mandatory 24-hour waiting period is among the provisions included in a 66-page package of draft regulations governing the “body art” industry released by the city Health Department on Friday.

If the waiting period is adopted, D.C. will become one of a very few places in the nation where a person cannot walk into a tattoo parlor and walk out with a tattoo...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-politics/24-hour-waiting-period-proposed-for-dc-tattoos-piercings/2013/09/06/924d8054-1727-11e3-be6e-dc6ae8a5b3a8_story.html

More nanny state actions in our nation's capitol. It is not enough for me to be an adult, a veteran, a father and law abiding citizen, in order for me to make a decision on a tattoo or piercing. Some do gooders want to protect me from myself and make me wait 24 hours before making such an important choice. I am so glad I don't live anywhere near D.C. and I never will.

This type of legislation would only cause a loss of jobs in D.C. and push people to Virginia or Maryland to spend their money.

Paulbot99
09-07-2013, 07:28 PM
2013 United States is a free nation?

LibertyEagle
09-07-2013, 07:29 PM
I'm surprised Bloomberg hasn't done this in NYC yet.

aGameOfThrones
09-07-2013, 08:08 PM
A mandatory 24-hour waiting period is among the provisions included in a 66-page package of draft regulations governing the “body art” industry released by the city Health Department on Friday.

This is next:

Tattoo artist: What tattoo do you want?

Customer: The one that says "Fuck the Government".

Tattoo artist: OK. You need to fill-out some paperwork and come back tomorrow at the same time.

Customer: I'm back.

Tattoo artist: I have some bad news, after I submitted your choice to the Decider... you were rejected.

It’s “honestly ridiculous,” said Paul Roe, who operates Britishink, a tattoo parlor on H Street NE. Roe, 45, testified in favor of a D.C. Council bill allowing the Health Department to regulate body art establishments because rules setting standards on hygiene, record keeping and licensing make sense, he said.

The waiting period, he said, does not.

Don't you feel good?

Before the D.C. Council passed the body art legislation last year, the tattoo and piercing business was not subject to special regulations — unlike Maryland, Virginia and most states. Council member Yvette M. Alexander (D-Ward 7) said she introduced a bill after learning the District was one of the few places in the country that did not regulate its industry.

Can't have that.

The waiting period is based on rules in at least two Wisconsin municipalities, but it is all but unheard of in cities as large as Washington. Roberts said it is meant to save body art consumers from permanent consequences they might come to regret — particularly if they seek tattoos or piercings while drunk or otherwise impaired.

Mommy, Daddy, goo goo gaa gaa

“They can’t be responsible for themselves, as well as the person doing the work on them,” she said. “We’re making sure when that decision is made that you’re in the right frame of mind, and you don’t wake up in the morning . . . saying, ‘Oh my God, what happened?’ ”

WE know what's best for you.

Most reputable tattoo shops turn away customers who are visibly intoxicated, Roe said. Codifying that practice, he said, would make more sense than preventing sober and consenting adults from getting tattoos or piercings on demand.

Alexander said she doubted that an employee of a body art parlor would be able to determine whether a customer was under the influence.

“If you really want to get it,” she said, “then what’s 24 hours?”

How benevolent

Christian Liberty
09-07-2013, 08:21 PM
veteran

This is a pet peeve of mine. This is completely irrelevant. I suspect you already know this since you post here, but if a veteran should be able to get a tattoo without waiting, anyone else should be able to as well. If this is totalitarian to be applied against a veteran, its totalitarian against anyone else as well.

Again, you probably already know that, but I just wanted to remind everyone. Your veteran status does not matter.

Cleaner44
09-07-2013, 10:10 PM
This is a pet peeve of mine. This is completely irrelevant. I suspect you already know this since you post here, but if a veteran should be able to get a tattoo without waiting, anyone else should be able to as well. If this is totalitarian to be applied against a veteran, its totalitarian against anyone else as well.

Again, you probably already know that, but I just wanted to remind everyone. Your veteran status does not matter.

I think you miss my point. It is not because I am a veteran that I should be able to get a tattoo, nor is it because I am a father. The reason I think being a veteran is relevant is because I am an adult able to make big boy decisions. I am not a child, I am an adult and have faced many adult situations, maybe even more adult decisions than the benevolent government bitch behind this. I was never asked to wait 24 hours for decisions I made while serving in the military. I make decisions for the well being of my children and I don't wait 24 hours before implementing them.

I was not indicating that a veteran should be privileged to get tattoos that my non-veteran wife should not be able to. If this is still a pet peeve to you then tough shit. If on the other hand you now understand why I thought is was relevant, just as being an adult and father is, then great.

Christian Liberty
09-07-2013, 10:11 PM
I think you miss my point. It is not because I am a veteran that I should be able to get a tattoo, nor is it because I am a father. The reason I think being a veteran is relevant is because I am an adult able to make big boy decisions. I am not a child, I am an adult and have faced many adult situations, maybe even more adult decisions than the benevolent government bitch behind this. I was never asked to wait 24 hours for decisions I made while serving in the military. I make decisions for the well being of my children and I don't wait 24 hours before implementing them.

I was not indicating that a veteran should be privileged to get tattoos that my non-veteran wife should not be able to. If this is still a pet peeve to you then tough shit. If on the other hand you now understand why I thought is was relevant, just as being an adult and father is, then great.

Fair enough.

James Madison
09-07-2013, 10:26 PM
I, personally, think this is a terrible idea. Drunken tattoos are one of the best ways to spot women who should never be pursued for a serious relationship. For women, the same principle applies to dudes with tribal armbands.