PDA

View Full Version : John McCain: ‘Maybe We Should Legalize’ Marijuana

Smart3
09-06-2013, 10:18 AM
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/john-mccain-maybe-we-should-legalize-marijuana

Christian Liberty
09-06-2013, 10:19 AM
Man, the hardcore drug warriors are really running out of allies :p

angelatc
09-06-2013, 10:29 AM
He's isn't stupid. He knows that if pot were legal, the libertarian wing of the party would lose warriors.

tod evans
09-06-2013, 10:30 AM
Does this mean he's good with a hemp noose?

kahless
09-06-2013, 10:34 AM
The timing of his comment is interesting.

mczerone
09-06-2013, 10:43 AM
He's isn't stupid. He knows that if pot were legal, the libertarian wing of the party would lose warriors.

Those "libertarian republicans" definitely think that the drug war should be ended, but I don't think it's their motivation.

The "Libertarian Party" definitely has members that have the drug war as their motivation, and might suffer some.

But I think that this is more trying to keep the next generation from fleeing the GOP. They have a crisis (outside of Paulian fresh blood) of having their members dying off and not being a real option for people coming into adulthood because of their stances on the drug war, gay marriage, immigration, etc.

He doesn't care about anything but party, and he knows that the GOP establishment can continue to cheat the "libertarian wing" out of any real successes. This isn't about them, it's about the under-60 crowd that knows that cannabis is not worth the costs of prohibition and aren't solidly Democrat.

jkr
09-06-2013, 10:44 AM
PANDA
BEAR
GONNA
PANDER

surf
09-06-2013, 10:44 AM
he probably keeps reading it on an online poker forum and realized the kids think it's a cool position

ronpaulfollower999
09-06-2013, 10:45 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_14DJq3HfB4w/Sk7p_1_MGEI/AAAAAAAAAXA/wmGwj1CZ_O0/s320/microphone.jpg

Christian Liberty
09-06-2013, 10:46 AM
Those "libertarian republicans" definitely think that the drug war should be ended, but I don't think it's their motivation.

The "Libertarian Party" definitely has members that have the drug war as their motivation, and might suffer some.

But I think that this is more trying to keep the next generation from fleeing the GOP. They have a crisis (outside of Paulian fresh blood) of having their members dying off and not being a real option for people coming into adulthood because of their stances on the drug war, gay marriage, immigration, etc.

He doesn't care about anything but party, and he knows that the GOP establishment can continue to cheat the "libertarian wing" out of any real successes. This isn't about them, it's about the under-60 crowd that knows that cannabis is not worth the costs of prohibition and aren't solidly Democrat.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were SOME in the Ron Paul camp that are motivated primarily by that. I'm not sure how many of them support Rand, considering that at least at first glance Rand's stance seems to be against legalization.

pcosmar
09-06-2013, 11:11 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if there were SOME in the Ron Paul camp that are motivated primarily by that. I'm not sure how many of them support Rand, considering that at least at first glance Rand's stance seems to be against legalization.

There are many issues,, in the Ron Paul camp.

My pet issue, and what got me involved was the 2nd amendment.. And NONE are addressing that. (beyond pander and place-holding)

The Drug War is the next (not just Marijuana) it has been the feed trough of the Police State.

And the Anti-War wing has been strongest since the beginning.

I suspect McCain is just throwing a bone,, in the hope that he can distract from the Wars.

better-dead-than-fed
09-06-2013, 11:25 AM
Maybe We Should Legalize

It already is legal. What's illegal is the DEA keeping it on Schedule 1. (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?425010-No-change-in-marijuana-laws-coming-White-House-says&p=5207531#post5207531)

GunnyFreedom
09-06-2013, 11:30 AM
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/john-mccain-maybe-we-should-legalize-marijuana

http://www.ccrane.com/images/medium/24-hour-wall-clock.jpg

Brett85
09-06-2013, 11:33 AM
Interesting. So McCain is now taking a more libertarian position on this issue than Rand.

jkob
09-06-2013, 11:37 AM
I suspect McCain is just throwing a bone,, in the hope that he can distract from the Wars.

Pretty much how I see it, he probably thinks this will shut the 'hippies' up. The writing is on the wall tho and marijuana will be legalized eventually, they'll cut their loses when the time comes.

Dary
09-06-2013, 12:20 PM
He's lying.

Way back in the day I wrote him a letter concerning legalization. His response was the most hard core prohibitionist of all the Congresscritters that I contacted.

Most belligerent indeed.

enhanced_deficit
09-06-2013, 12:22 PM
He is coming around.

jmdrake
09-06-2013, 12:27 PM
He is coming around.

Naw. He just realizes that you've got to be high to not know what a total buffoon he is for trying to go to war to support Al Qaeda.

I am a one issue voter right now. No more wars! Period!

mrsat_98
09-06-2013, 12:44 PM
Does this mean he's good with a hemp noose?

Probably not, it just means he sucks less. +rep for the thought.

twomp
09-06-2013, 01:31 PM

Rand doesn't have to be "for legalization", all he needs to do is get the Federal government out of the states business and let the states handle it. There will be some states where it is illegal and there will be some states where it is illegal depending on the population. Sounds fair to me.

The Free Hornet
09-06-2013, 01:37 PM
McCain is not one to concern himself with where the wind blows his farts.

My inkling is that this is about the feds not being usurped by state power. Legalizing what the states intend to do anyway might be their only strategy to maintain the appearance of being "in charge".

The Free Hornet
09-06-2013, 01:44 PM
Interesting. So McCain is now taking a more libertarian position on this issue than Rand.

A libertarian position is to get the government out of an area (even if only at the Federal level, McCain's domain). Expecting something "legalized" is the statist "we must ask permission" perspective.

In this limited sense, Rand's position of deauthorizing the Feds from a power is more libertarian than the notion that they "legalize" it (undoubtably in the most limited, restricted, unfree, least common sense manner imaginable).

Rand only needs to communicate what he would do on the Federal level and his approach would also work on raw milk. McCain's doesn't.

Miss Annie
09-06-2013, 03:35 PM
So Graham is making nuke threats and McCain is working the bribery side? LOL

enhanced_deficit
09-06-2013, 03:37 PM
Naw. He just realizes that you've got to be high to not know what a total buffoon he is for trying to go to war to support Al Qaeda.

I am a one issue voter right now. No more wars! Period!

That is a smart stance to have.

goRPaul
09-06-2013, 04:28 PM
Maybe we should legalize. We're certainly moving that way as far as marijuana is concerned. I respect the will of the people.

Only when it's convenient.

Working Poor
09-06-2013, 09:06 PM
He is just trying to get people's mind off war mongering.

klamath
09-06-2013, 09:11 PM
Well he locked up the libertarian vote right there.. Probably have a subforum here soon....

thoughtomator
09-06-2013, 09:12 PM
That's a man who knows a) that his polls are collapsing; and b) what the single most widely popular domestic issue is.

better-dead-than-fed
09-06-2013, 09:21 PM
Well he locked up the libertarian vote right there.. Probably have a subforum here soon....

Libertarians aren't the only voters opposed to prohibition and needless taxation.

HOLLYWOOD
09-06-2013, 09:30 PM
He's lying.

Way back in the day I wrote him a letter concerning legalization. His response was the most hard core prohibitionist of all the Congresscritters that I contacted.

Most belligerent indeed.

OF COURSE!

John McCain is playing 2 bit deflection. It's to take the heat and spotlight off his bombing Syria for his masters in Israel.

Disgusting conniving political puppet.

Smart3
09-06-2013, 09:35 PM
OF COURSE!

John McCain is playing 2 bit deflection. It's to take the heat and spotlight off his bombing Syria for his masters in Israel.

Disgusting conniving political puppet.

Hey! Israel has much better agents than McCain!

Thor
09-06-2013, 09:43 PM
"Hi, I'm John McCain... Did you know, you might be eligible for a reverse mortgage on your home, to give you the cash you need now! Just call the number on your screen to get started."

RonZeplin
09-06-2013, 10:44 PM
http://mariopiperni.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/McCain_Marijuana2.jpg

Antischism
09-07-2013, 01:31 AM
http://i.imgur.com/hhbXXNO.gif

fr33
09-08-2013, 12:29 AM

We are losing warriors to the drug-war cages on a daily basis. I'm not sure that we would lose more if weed were legal.

muzzled dogg
09-08-2013, 12:38 AM
what about the white girls and the negro jazz musicians?

asurfaholic
09-08-2013, 07:53 AM
Well, now I am against legalization. I do not care to agree with McCain about anything.

Throw him in the woods.

tod evans
09-08-2013, 07:57 AM
Well, now I am against legalization. I do not care to agree with McCain about anything.

Throw him in the woods.

I've been screaming for no weed laws since the '70's and there's no way in hell I'll back off my position just 'cause some rat-bastard, two-faced politician has an alleged change of heart.