PDA

View Full Version : One dollar donation idea

Mithridates
11-28-2007, 10:23 AM
Since Ron Paul's contributors number in the tens of thousands, I thought it might be interesting to have a permanent group of people that pledge to donate a dollar on days when a certain type of event happens, such as the following:

1) Any time the campaign is under a certain amount of money by the middle of the afternoon
2) Any time Mike Huckabee is leading in donations by the middle of the afternoon
3) This one's a bit vague, but perhaps whenever an event happens that casts doubt on the depth of RP's support, say if he has an interview and the interviewer decides to try to give the impression that RP only has a few spammers to his name. Then send out an email, and wham! $30,000 in the next thirty minutes.
4) Any others?

Even for people who are contribution-fatigued could participate in this, and it might be nice to have a set of events like the above where you know the campaign can get a quick jolt of tens of thousands of dollars. If the 5th and the 16th are money bombs, this would be the equivalent of an always loaded revolver on the side just in case.

(got this idea because Huckabee's up by a tiny bit right now for the day)

...oh no wait, not anymore. But you get the picture.

kylejack
11-28-2007, 10:26 AM
Nah, the fees are too high.

yongrel
11-28-2007, 10:27 AM
I think the fees make it ineffective. Perhaps a $5 dollar club would be more effective?

JordanL
11-28-2007, 10:30 AM
Only problem with this is that you would probably be donating about $.15 after transaction fees.

Mithridates
11-28-2007, 10:31 AM
Ah, fees. I've never had a credit card myself.

Yes, perhaps a $5 club with a certain limited number of situations where it would be donated. $1 is easy to do just about any time, $5 not so much.

ashlux
11-28-2007, 10:36 AM
I think the fees make it ineffective. Perhaps a $5 dollar club would be more effective?

$5 donations are fine in my opinion. The minimum donation is $5 anyhow.

As for the fees, PayPal does not charge the receiver of funds any fees whatsoever if it comes directly out of a bank account (as opposed to using a debit or credit card).

I think we can safely assume PayPal is giving this transaction fee to Ron Paul: 2.2% + $0.30 USD. Non-PayPal transaction fees are likely less than that. https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-receiving-fees-outside

kylejack
11-28-2007, 10:39 AM
The minimum donation is $5 anyhow.

Nah, less can be specified.

hillertexas
11-28-2007, 10:42 AM
What if each and every Ron Paul supporter send in an actual dollar bill. They sign their names big on the front with a black sharpie. These dollars could be used to "verify" individual support. Also, I have seen this idea framed before (Aprox 25 dollar bills per frame) and it was AMAZING!!!!!!

kylejack
11-28-2007, 10:43 AM
What if each and every Ron Paul supporter send in an actual dollar bill. They sign their names big on the front with a black sharpie. These dollars could be used to "verify" individual support. Also, I have seen this idea framed before (Aprox 25 dollar bills per frame) and it was AMAZING!!!!!!

A stamp is a lot like the fee issue.

hillertexas
11-28-2007, 10:46 AM
A stamp is a lot like the fee issue.

lol....barely

SaratogaForRonPaul
11-28-2007, 10:51 AM
Actually more:

$1 Credit card fee is $0.30 + 2.2 cents = $0.33 (rounded up)
Stamp = $0.41

ashlux
11-28-2007, 10:55 AM
Nah, less can be specified.

Yes, you can specify less. But you get this error:

Your donation request produced errors. Please correct your input below.

Invalid amount. Your amount must be between $5 and $2,300.

hillertexas
11-28-2007, 11:00 AM
Actually more:

$1 Credit card fee is $0.30 + 2.2 cents = $0.33 (rounded up)
Stamp = $0.41

Isn't the issue that Ron Paul's campaign would have to pay the fee if we donate online or with a credit card? If we physically mail him $1, we pay the "fee".