PDA

View Full Version : The Snowden Files: NSA said to have cracked VPN and SSL

jmdrake
09-05-2013, 04:49 PM
http://www.infowars.com/nsa-cracking-encryption-with-supercomputers/

better-dead-than-fed
09-05-2013, 07:59 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/05/nsa-gchq-encryption-codes-security

documents revealed by former contractor Edward Snowden... show that [NSA has]... adopted... methods.... Those methods include:

covert measures to ensure NSA control over setting of international encryption standards,
the use of supercomputers to break encryption with "brute force", and...
collaboration with technology companies and internet service providers themselves....
[NSA has] inserted secret vulnerabilities – known as backdoors or trapdoors – into commercial encryption software....

The NSA spends $250m a year on a program which, among other goals, works with technology companies to "covertly influence" their product designs....

Classified briefings between the agencies celebrate their success at "defeating network security and privacy"....

The document sets out in clear terms the program's broad aims, including making commercial encryption software "more tractable" to NSA attacks by "shaping" the worldwide marketplace....

the agency has capabilities against widely used online protocols, such as HTTPS, voice-over-IP and Secure Sockets Layer (SSL), used to protect online shopping and banking....

The document also shows that the NSA's Commercial Solutions Center, ostensibly the body through which technology companies can have their security products assessed and presented to prospective government buyers, has another, more clandestine role.

It is used by the NSA to "to leverage sensitive, co-operative relationships with specific industry partners" to insert vulnerabilities into security products. Operatives were warned that this information must be kept top secret "at a minimum".

A more general NSA classification guide reveals more detail on the agency's deep partnerships with industry, and its ability to modify products. It cautions analysts that two facts must remain top secret: that NSA makes modifications to commercial encryption software and devices "to make them exploitable", and that NSA "obtains cryptographic details of commercial cryptographic information security systems through industry relationships"....

To help secure an insider advantage, GCHQ also established a Humint Operations Team (HOT). Humint, short for "human intelligence" refers to information gleaned directly from sources or undercover agents.

This GCHQ team was, according to an internal document, "responsible for identifying, recruiting and running covert agents in the global telecommunications industry."...

Intelligence officials asked the Guardian, New York Times and ProPublica not to publish this article, saying that it might prompt foreign targets to switch to new forms of encryption or communications that would be harder to collect or read.

The three organisations removed some specific facts but decided to publish the story because of the value of a public debate about government actions that weaken the most powerful tools for protecting the privacy of internet users in the US and worldwide.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/06/us/nsa-foils-much-internet-encryption.html?hp&_r=1&

ObiRandKenobi
09-05-2013, 08:00 PM
any other alternatives?

VoluntaryAmerican
09-05-2013, 08:13 PM
any other alternatives?

The Guardian has the source material, so any other sites talking about it are just rehashing what they broke.

fisharmor
any other alternatives?

I'm not a networking guy, but back in 2004 it was possible to break VPN tech with a billion dollars of technology, manpower, time, or a combination thereof.
It's entirely possible that increases in processing power brought that down. It's more possible that they said "fuck it" and spent the billion dollars.

I don't know of an alternative for now. However I can guarantee that every single business in the world with an IT department is going to be talking about this.
This is going to have some serious ramifications.

fisharmor
The Guardian has the source material, so any other sites talking about it are just rehashing what they broke.

Oh, I assumed he meant alternatives to VPN and SSL.
I actually heard this on NPR on the way home, and if the state mouthpiece said it...

CPUd
09-05-2013, 08:24 PM
I'm not a networking guy, but back in 2004 it was possible to break VPN tech with a billion dollars of technology, manpower, time, or a combination thereof.
It's entirely possible that increases in processing power brought that down. It's more possible that they said "fuck it" and spent the billion dollars.

I don't know of an alternative for now. However I can guarantee that every single business in the world with an IT department is going to be talking about this.
This is going to have some serious ramifications.

It looks like with the SSL stuff, they are exploiting the key exchange mechanisms; to be able to do this, the attack has to be perfectly timed, with insider knowledge of the providers' systems.

Over wifi, it is possible to hijack a HTTPS session. I've tested this software out (on my own systems, of course):
http://droidsheep.de/

ObiRandKenobi
09-05-2013, 08:26 PM
Oh, I assumed he meant alternatives to VPN and SSL.

yeah that's what i meant. so no, i guess.

VIDEODROME
09-05-2013, 08:26 PM
SSH Tunnel?

CPUd
09-05-2013, 08:29 PM
SSH Tunnel?

From what these reports are saying, you should still be OK if you roll your own, but using the services of these big providers looks like bad news.

better-dead-than-fed
09-05-2013, 08:31 PM
It looks like with the SSL stuff, they are exploiting the key exchange mechanisms; to be able to do this, the attack has to be perfectly timed, with insider knowledge of the providers' systems.

Insider knowledge of which facets of the providers' systems?

CPUd
09-05-2013, 08:38 PM
Insider knowledge of which facets of the providers' systems?

How they make their cookies, server paths to executables, etc.

DamianTV
09-05-2013, 09:06 PM
How they make their cookies, server paths to executables, etc.

It helps for the NSA to be able to get in bed with the likes of Microsoft, Apple, Google, Yahoo, AT&T, and everyone else. Of course, the way the NSA gets into bed is the same way a rapist would get into bed as well.

CPUd
09-05-2013, 09:08 PM
http://i.imgur.com/a5I6a1L.jpg

GunnyFreedom
09-05-2013, 09:13 PM
Expected. Still can't crack my NSA-Proof system design. :D

HOLLYWOOD
09-05-2013, 09:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAUVUUhf7U0

RickyJ
09-05-2013, 09:46 PM
The NSA are not the only ones that can crack it. Don't use commercial encryption programs.

idiom
09-06-2013, 05:00 AM
AES is borked. Basically. Deliberately.

Also, OS X and Windows have backdoors that give direct access before encryption.

If you have a winodows or apple machine anywhere in your building, you are borked.

If you are using any american brand of hardware encryption, you are borked.

Its like your encryption isn't even there.

If you use a Public CA of any sort, you are borked.

If any files or any emails are on any drive unecrypted at any point, your are borked.

Lavabit dude was right. If your IT system has physical ties to the United States, you are 99.999% borked.

Unless you are Gunny or a terrorist, they know what you are communicating.

ghengis86
09-06-2013, 05:14 AM
AES is borked. Basically. Deliberately.

Also, OS X and Windows have backdoors that give direct access before encryption.

If you have a winodows or apple machine anywhere in your building, you are borked.

If you are using any american brand of hardware encryption, you are borked.

Its like your encryption isn't even there.

If you use a Public CA of any sort, you are borked.

If any files or any emails are on any drive unecrypted at any point, your are borked.

Lavabit dude was right. If your IT system has physical ties to the United States, you are 99.999% borked.

Unless you are Gunny or a terrorist, they know what you are communicating.

And there you have it. Tyrannical fascism at its finest!

While US based software/hardware companies are totally compromised, I'm curious how far beyond our borders the NSA's tentacles reach as there's no doubt they've tried...

better-dead-than-fed
09-06-2013, 05:15 AM
If you are using any american brand of hardware encryption, you are borked....

If your IT system has physical ties to the United States, you are 99.999% borked.

Article does not say that all the infiltrated technology companies were in the U.S.

Cap
09-06-2013, 05:51 AM
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u11/CapRuger/Distraction_zpsd5e278e0.jpg

tod evans
09-06-2013, 06:07 AM
Distractions...

Focus on government itself not the issues it raises...

awake
09-06-2013, 07:02 AM
The enemy of any free thinking person is his government, which is to say that the enemy of any government is its "citizen". The NSA is only the manifestation of that fact. The slave masters must always keep ears amongst the slaves, its necessary property management.

jmdrake
09-06-2013, 12:24 PM
Expected. Still can't crack my NSA-Proof system design. :D

Cool. Are you accepting investors?

Edit: I don't know if you are being serious or not, but if you are being serious then this needs to be funded.

Edit 2: This all reminds me of the Robert Redford movie "Sneakers". The plot is that someone had stolen an NSA decryption device. Robert Redford and his team are tasked with getting it back. During their investigation, they discover that the device was actually designed to spy on Americans instead of on the Russians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_XRqJV2zdk

VIDEODROME
09-06-2013, 12:32 PM
Is impressed someone else has even heard of Sneakers.

It's actually a decent movie about information security.

GunnyFreedom
09-06-2013, 12:47 PM
Cool. Are you accepting investors?

Edit: I don't know if you are being serious or not, but if you are being serious then this needs to be funded.

Edit 2: This all reminds me of the Robert Redford movie "Sneakers". The plot is that someone had stolen an NSA decryption device. Robert Redford and his team are tasked with getting it back. During their investigation, they discover that the device was actually designed to spy on Americans instead of on the Russians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_XRqJV2zdk

Oh I am quite serious, and producing these would be my ultimate dream. I'm only about $6000 worth of R&D on one last hardware trick to hammer the final nail into the coffin and I can start selling them between $700 and $1400 a unit, depending on configuration (processor speed, RAM, drive space etc). If I had around $10k seed, I'd be turning units by 1stQ 2014. With the current market, I'd pay off the seed by 4thQ 2014 easily.

The last piece of the puzzle is to house a 2.5" SSD in a 3.5" HDD enclosure, with a battery and circuits to wipe the SSD in the event that it is improperly (ie without a key or combination) removed, so that it cannot be arbitrarily removed and imaged on a remote testbed.

jmdrake
09-06-2013, 01:04 PM
Oh I am quite serious, and producing these would be my ultimate dream. I'm only about $6000 worth of R&D on one last hardware trick to hammer the final nail into the coffin and I can start selling them between $700 and $1400 a unit, depending on configuration (processor speed, RAM, drive space etc). If I had around $10k seed, I'd be turning units by 1stQ 2014. With the current market, I'd pay off the seed by 4thQ 2014 easily.

The last piece of the puzzle is to house a 2.5" SSD in a 3.5" HDD enclosure, with a battery and circuits to wipe the SSD in the event that it is improperly (ie without a key or combination) removed, so that it cannot be arbitrarily removed and imaged on a remote testbed.

Do I smell a kickstarted campaign in your future? :D

Americans1st
09-06-2013, 01:28 PM
Well, let me play the skeptic here. I'm not an expert on encryption but understand the sources here are Alex Jones and the Zio NYT. As far as I know open source and free encryption programs cannot be cracked. Others such as one paid for by Microsoft and others could have a 'back door'. For example the 7-zip AES-256 cannot be cracked because the number of calculations needed exceed modern computing power. And TOR has yet to be compromised as long as the user does not use javascript and an updated version.

Anyone that does not want a spook prying into their data should never use a commercial product.

Thor
09-06-2013, 03:06 PM
N.S.A. Able to Foil Basic Safeguards of Privacy on Web

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/06/us/nsa-foils-much-internet-encryption.html?hp&_r=1&

Good read....

idiom
09-06-2013, 03:10 PM
Article does not say that all the infiltrated technology companies were in the U.S.

US Companies either comply or shut down. So if the US company is still running its 100% compromised.

This does not mean non American companies are safe.

My Fellow Users,

I have been forced to make a difficult decision: to become complicit in crimes against the American people or walk away from nearly ten years of hard work by shutting down Lavabit. After significant soul searching, I have decided to suspend operations. I wish that I could legally share with you the events that led to my decision. I cannot. I feel you deserve to know what’s going on--the first amendment is supposed to guarantee me the freedom to speak out in situations like this. Unfortunately, Congress has passed laws that say otherwise. As things currently stand, I cannot share my experiences over the last six weeks, even though I have twice made the appropriate requests.

What’s going to happen now? We’ve already started preparing the paperwork needed to continue to fight for the Constitution in the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals. A favorable decision would allow me resurrect Lavabit as an American company.

This experience has taught me one very important lesson: without congressional action or a strong judicial precedent, I would _strongly_ recommend against anyone trusting their private data to a company with physical ties to the United States.

Sincerely,
Ladar Levison
Owner and Operator, Lavabit LLC

DamianTV
09-06-2013, 03:33 PM
Heres another way the NSA is putting us in danger.

When I was working at my ISP, we played a Cat and Mouse game with fighting spam. Spammers went through a phase for a while where they would send out Spam as a Picture so Mail Servers couldnt just scan the text. Pictures have no text. So our Anti Spam Solution worked on OCR spam scanning. They built some software that would scan images for Text (more like the way your Scanner does it). Once that version of Anti Spam was released, the Spammers got ahold of the OCR, turned around and used it to defeat CAPTCHAS, and Forum Spam skyrocketted.

The point is that for every solution that is created, that solution can just as easily be turned against you. In the case with the NSA, what happens when hackers just break into the NSA to learn something about you? Need your Online Banking Password? Just hack the NSA! Need to take someone out covertly? Again, hack the NSA and put false information in about a person and that person will be gotten rid of by the Govt.

The NSA is building bridges made of fire. You'll get burned no matter how you cross that bridge.

Thor
09-06-2013, 11:51 PM
//

muh_roads
09-07-2013, 12:24 AM
From what these reports are saying, you should still be OK if you roll your own, but using the services of these big providers looks like bad news.

This is why an "Encryption Board", or something, is needed. Most don't understand how to "roll" their own. We need a place that helps people share software knowledge with each other. We've entered that era now where we should openly state we intend to encrypt and demand it as our 1st, 4th and 5th amendment right.

Really sick of this mentality that if you don't have anything to hide you have nothing to worry about. If you don't exercise your rights, you will lose them.

Admin's, help?

idiom
09-07-2013, 01:08 AM
This is why an "Encryption Board", or something, is needed. Most don't understand how to "roll" their own. We need a place that helps people share software knowledge with each other. We've entered that era now where we should openly state we intend to encrypt and demand it as our 1st, 4th and 5th amendment right.

Really sick of this mentality that if you don't have anything to hide you have nothing to worry about. If you don't exercise your rights, you will lose them.

Admin's, help?

We have an Encryption Board.

Its called the NSA.

Their job is to protect private American Communications and intercept enemy government communications.

Fox in charge of the hen house though, as all statist solutions tend to be. Cut their funding by 90% and force them to be transparent and you might get there.

They are not called No-Such-Agency without reason.

Reason
09-07-2013, 10:24 AM
All hope is lost...

or

there is some element of bluffing going on...

tangent4ronpaul
09-07-2013, 11:23 AM
All hope is lost...

or

there is some element of bluffing going on...

NSA surveillance: A guide to staying secure - Bruce Schneier
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?426985-NSA-surveillance-A-guide-to-staying-secure-Bruce-Schneier

-t

tangent4ronpaul
09-07-2013, 11:27 AM

Admin's, help?

I'd second this.

Right now there is quite a bit of this type of info scattered across the forum and I think it's as big an issue and as important is Syria. Generally it's buried in General Politics, Individual Liberty and Science and Technology. A single place for surveillance state stuff would be good.

-t

HOLLYWOOD
09-07-2013, 11:43 AM
I posted years ago about the NSA...

Bill Clinton used the Echelon network for international espionage, which he shared with US corporations (like the big 3). It's a complete Fascist-Criminal corrupt marriage between US business and US government.

kcchiefs6465
09-07-2013, 11:47 AM
I posted years ago about the NSA...

Bill Clinton used the Echelon network for international espionage, which he shared with US corporations (like the big 3). It's a complete Fascist-Criminal corrupt marriage between US business and US government.
Yes, it has been known since the 90s.

I was reading a book published in 2002 and it mentioned Echelon and how the NSA was aligning with spy agencies from around the world to spy on US citizens. It said the program was collecting untold numbers of emails, phone records, etc. that numbered probably billions per day. I'm sure he is relieved with Snowden's leaks that he was indeed correct all along.

Enemy of the State. Enough said.

HOLLYWOOD
09-07-2013, 12:22 PM
Yes, it has been known since the 90s.

I was reading a book published in 2002 and it mentioned Echelon and how the NSA was aligning with spy agencies from around the world to spy on US citizens. It said the program was collecting untold numbers of emails, phone records, etc. that numbered probably billions per day. I'm sure he is relieved with Snowden's leaks that he was indeed correct all along.

Enemy of the State. Enough said.Translated below for those who can't read German... it's a good read... oh, AND WHY.

http://www.zeit.de/digital/datenschutz/2013-06/wirtschaftsspionage-prism-tempora

Prism and If anywhere they are listening to the economy

Behind the massive monitoring of internet and telephone connections by the U.S. and the UK is more than the search for terrorists. From Patrick Beuth (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://community.zeit.de/user/patrick-beuth&usg=ALkJrhjRVniJHya281xdQzQJcwyzTmYTjA)

http://images.zeit.de/digital/datenschutz/2013-06/gchq-2/gchq-2-540x304.jpg
GCHQ facility in southwest England, where the transatlantic fiber optic cable end.
| © Nigel Roddis / Reuters

The extent to which the NSA and GCHQ internet and telephone connections have monitors is so large that it is hard to overlook. The Guardian describes it thus: "For the two billion users of the World Wide Web provides tenses (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.zeit.de/digital/datenschutz/2013-06/gchq-tempora-internet&usg=ALkJrhg-S6UQWMBtjtKNtWZqrQl826LyqA) a window into their everyday life dar Any form of communication that passes through the fiber optic cable in the world, is exhausted. " It is about two billion potentially affected. Given these numbers, the question whether the defense of terror and crime is really the only reason, the only motivation of intelligence.
Constanze Kurz, spokeswoman for the Chaos Computer Club, has a different explanation. You recently told the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.faz.net/aktuell/feuilleton/aus-dem-maschinenraum/europa-und-die-nsa-enthuellung-das-praechtige-neue-gewand-der-guten-alten-wirtschaftsspionage-12220566.html&usg=ALkJrhhk0FJREhxu-E_uXXgJDRo8ifkBRA) : "That is really about terrorism at Prism, believe anyway, only the very naive, given the billions of records that will be picked each month because there is not behind every tree lurks a suspected terrorist, was in truth the good. old industrial espionage to get a new splendid dress. "
Display
This assumption is not entirely unfounded. An anonymous intelligence expert told the Guardian (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jun/21/gchq-cables-secret-world-communications-nsa&usg=ALkJrhi2JBKEKpS4XYh4v9WzOOX2wE-MPQ) that there are four reasons for the Spähprogramm the British called tenses: ".. The criteria are security, terror, Organised Crime And economic well-being" So the criteria are safety, terror, Organized Crime and economic well-being . The phrase "economic well-being" is also in section 1 of the Intelligence Services Act, 1994 (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1994/13/section/1&usg=ALkJrhjVJcs8wFyIOKRHdojQvxkL0ezRDw) , the British law in which the tasks of intelligence are described.
The "economic welfare" can be understood defensively or offensively. Defense would mean that one would look for intelligence in the flood of communications for signs of impending or ongoing attacks on domestic enterprises or other institutions. According to the company by the way also makes the BND exactly that
Patrick Beuth
© ZEIT ONLINE
http://images.zeit.de/administratives/autoreninfos/bilder/patrick-beuth.jpg
Patrick Beuth is an editor in the department of Digital at ZEIT ONLINE.
His profile page you will find here (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://community.zeit.de/user/patrick-beuth&usg=ALkJrhjRVniJHya281xdQzQJcwyzTmYTjA) .

Would be offensive to gain economic benefits through espionage. The United States (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.zeit.de/schlagworte/orte/usa&usg=ALkJrhiLCn-CrbmpGvJxl4GNCBnm3HaikQ) have done this more than a decade ago. With the Echelon demonstrated they operated industrial espionage in Europe (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/820758.stm&usg=ALkJrhhG9s9gRLvyxG3Hc9dpsuM2qQmtlQ) .
Malte Spitz, a board member of the Green Party, would not in any case be surprising if "the massive monitoring of Internet traffic is operated both for defense against industrial espionage, even to himself to obtain as evidence. Already in the past was always known that even 'friendly 'intelligence services operate industrial espionage in Germany. now If this happens online, it would be a logical step that adapts the espionage of the digital transformation. "
Dieter Kempf has a similar view: "magnitude and direction" surprise the president of the industry association BITCOIN though,. "But industrial espionage is one of the job descriptions of American and British intelligence that we now hear from the use of intelligence methods in this context, does not need anyone to be surprised."

Page 2/2: Control of their own people

Even bleaker is the scenario that the U.S. intellectual Noam Chomsky in an interview with TIME (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.zeit.de/2013/26/interview-noam-chomsky-ueberwachung-usa&usg=ALkJrhgjw7RdLXH0nsrDixbQcc8fsxr-Gg) suggested. He think it's remarkable, "that secret files concerning State security only to a small extent. What is at stake, which is the population. Safety is called the state if the government is safe from its own people."
In other words, Chomsky (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.zeit.de/schlagworte/personen/noam-chomsky&usg=ALkJrhiVOCcTbSTlqvJXpUwOF0l0xM63Kg) believes, secret programs such as Prism and tenses are there to control their own people, so to keep opposition and resistance at least in the eye or even to identify and arrest. So it happened in China (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.zeit.de/schlagworte/orte/china&usg=ALkJrhgDKLnVm9jqV3fQA9Pid0ZG-Wr_XA) , in Iran (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.zeit.de/schlagworte/orte/iran&usg=ALkJrhjn2XCx5QlQXodFWbKC9eIen-P8-w) , in Bahrain (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.zeit.de/schlagworte/orte/bahrain&usg=ALkJrhi5114qEP1vwnxrpsyjlh6UExE43w) and many other countries. But something is not unthinkable in Western democracies?
The revelations of Edward Snowden Edward Snowden was system administrator employed by a private company and borrowed from this to the American NSA. In this position, he saw much and what he saw made him uneasy. In June 2013 he began to tell the public how it is monitored and spied on the Internet. An overview of his revelations:

The NSA receives stock data from Verizon and probably other telecommunications companies (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.zeit.de/digital/datenschutz/2013-06/USA-Verizon-Telekommunikation-Geheimdienst&usg=ALkJrhh25_dgwQgXRJ3yi16iXzUN2KsYow)
The U.S. government taps into the monitoring system prism companies like Google, Apple, Facebook and Microsoft to (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.zeit.de/digital/datenschutz/2013-06/USA-Geheimdienste-Daten-Internet-Verizon&usg=ALkJrhjRxOwp2W56g3b4W_RW4yJrPZtnNg)
The hitherto anonymous whistleblower is to be recognized as Edward Snowden (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.zeit.de/digital/datenschutz/2013-06/usa-nsa-prism-whistleblower&usg=ALkJrhiDmJ9EVJnc-8Jy83bRB4W41juLhA)
Germany is monitored by the NSA with the most (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.zeit.de/digital/datenschutz/2013-06/nsa-spionage-deutschland&usg=ALkJrhjWADULMVB85XR_8l7j3vSYHWxvgQ)
Even Canada collects data worldwide on the net (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.zeit.de/digital/datenschutz/2013-06/kanada-daten-spionage-prism&usg=ALkJrhgyo3XjUbUq7NdrIMsYoGVhhF23qg)
The monitoring system called Prism is not alone, there are three more in the U.S. (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.zeit.de/digital/datenschutz/2013-06/nsa-prism-faq&usg=ALkJrhizIaSYGhYaNmANLcE5mJAbrV1trA)
British intelligence agency GCHQ spying on politicians from the G-20 summit (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.zeit.de/digital/internet/2013-06/gchq-ueberwachung-g20&usg=ALkJrhgiYqgykY5J7F7rmv_yDqAZqJmaDQ)
The intelligence agency GCHQ taps international data lines with the tenses program directly (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.zeit.de/digital/datenschutz/2013-06/spionage-gchq-daten&usg=ALkJrhh2-JMTo8_IKQLXdivNljQnaZ0VbQ)
Tenses monitors and stores everything that goes through the submarine cable (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.zeit.de/digital/datenschutz/2013-06/gchq-tempora-internet&usg=ALkJrhg-S6UQWMBtjtKNtWZqrQl826LyqA)
Stellarwind collects metadata of billions of e-mails for years (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.zeit.de/digital/datenschutz/2013-06/fbi-gesichtserkennung-eff&usg=ALkJrhhnOFmL9dmfEH4tLRtshKzXgySmqA)
The NSA monitored monthly up to 500 million communications links (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.zeit.de/digital/datenschutz/2013-06/nsa-spionage-deutschland-2&usg=ALkJrhhG8DPWDGwQZLS4Ha44dKRXm1bdGw) from Germany
The equipment for Internet surveillance (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.zeit.de/digital/datenschutz/2013-07/prism-echtzeit-ueberwachung&usg=ALkJrhgt9QoHzGikSbmsD7vv4nHe5dcYtA) in the United States may include the FBI
Microsoft allows the NSA to bypass the encryption of emails and Skype conversations (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.zeit.de/politik/2013-07/snowden-microsoft&usg=ALkJrhgRH43q67xMINcV9emMr7-NG_gGMg)

And how they are measured The things Snowden the British Guardian and the American Washington Post reported are likely to be the biggest leak in intelligence sector. You have sparked a debate about the role of whistleblowers and to take control of intelligence agencies. A survey of opinions and comments:

We need more whistleblowers (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.zeit.de/digital/internet/2013-06/nsa-whistleblower-leak&usg=ALkJrhgJXhq67Zsfe813DZd8Am6Wfs-KEw)
Against the NSA resistance is hardly possible (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.zeit.de/digital/datenschutz/2013-06/nsa-prism-gegenwehr&usg=ALkJrhhEJdbOWYYPMtiVUIrMmpl-kSnu-A)
Public is the best safeguard against supervisors (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.zeit.de/digital/datenschutz/2013-06/nsa-edward-snowden-leak&usg=ALkJrhjSqO_o202ARm3iJ8YxEezxq-Iwbw)
The political control of the monitor is ineffective (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.zeit.de/digital/datenschutz/2013-06/snowden-chat-nsa-guardian&usg=ALkJrhgwNqKxPv8hQmTarbeFXuhQf_V7GQ)
An incredible expansion of surveillance without public debate (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.zeit.de/2013/26/nsa-geheimdienst-james-bamford&usg=ALkJrhihvVxvDC-l5heKP1njaxDtlX1lPw)
Algorithms for everyone is a suspect (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.zeit.de/digital/datenschutz/2013-06/mustererkennung-algorithmen-terror&usg=ALkJrhip8DHBIKZI9-zfWAV4wc10XD2KPw)
The monitoring accesses to our core values (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.zeit.de/digital/2013-06/internet-spionage-tempora-kommentar&usg=ALkJrhiPo8ajPVV0D4qFfiEXDNwDpBFBDw)
Snowden's betrayal is a legitimate act of civil disobedience (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.zeit.de/kultur/2013-06/Interview-Reinhard-Merkel-Moral&usg=ALkJrhi9djvr7NDhH-Y6wA40bHpsA00iKQ)
Snowden in the U.S. is becoming more and more seen as a traitor (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.zeit.de/politik/ausland/2013-06/edward-snowden-zweifel-usa-medien-moskau&usg=ALkJrhjmathizVhmATQVwBRA6Qc2eXP3-g)
Too trusting for Democracy (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.zeit.de/politik/deutschland/2013-07/nsa-snowden-freiheit&usg=ALkJrhhBqycARUp2A_-w_uBF6w3CFFsxWw)

Malte Spitz says.. "I'm careful with terms such as unthinkable, the far-reaching censorship in countries like China or Iran is rather different, here content will be blocked, filtered or manipulated and freedom of expression restricted the extensive monitoring in the USA and England (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.zeit.de/schlagworte/orte/england&usg=ALkJrhjXCKzZ39ZUKghWAhVMK5UWyt5k0w) is a similar serious intervention, but does not aim at censorship, but more subtle attacks on freedom of expression. "

For the complete monitoring of what someone calls on the internet, he published what or with whom he communicates, could well lead to restrictions. Examples Spitz called difficulties in entering the United States (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.zeit.de/digital/internet/2012-01/dhs-verweigert-einreise-wegen-twitter&usg=ALkJrhiJcVRRZpzDn-buq5WJ2JM_M-9yLA) , or cases in which someone on a no-fly list (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.zeit.de/gesellschaft/zeitgeschehen/2013-05/kritik-amerikanische-sicherheitsbehoerden&usg=ALkJrhhD9UUgqv26axMAa0LeSWI-OyINAQ), and ends up not even allowed on the plane.

Finally ... someone points on this topic. Fact:
Foreign-intelligence agencies do what is technically possible and for that they tailor their domestic laws to measure. It is completely understandable that you exploiting that you sit on a major Internet routing nodes in their own country.
Foreign-intelligence course transgressed the laws of other countries in order to get the information that they consider helpful and they do not want anyone to know it, hence the "secret"
Questions you must provide:
Is this "Informationsabsaugorgie" really just the hunt for terrorists, preventing attacks or other serious crimes? Really are all so naive to believe that you have the technical ability to search by date search and filtering software programs to virtually any context and can be industrial and economic secrets left?

If these technical possibilities really only used against foreign countries? David Cameron really wants to stand again with his pants down, when it suddenly popped in the UK's cities and any criminal bored and overpaid beneficiaries of the English service economy began to loot shops and burn down?

5 In other words ... (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.zeit.de/digital/datenschutz/2013-06/wirtschaftsspionage-prism-tempora%3Fcommentstart%3D1&usg=ALkJrhhdYMawxQjTp7FU8jSopqFHZGSZSg#cid-2862393) ... We are well on the way to the totalitarian democracy. The people are pro forma sovereign, has an elected government, an elected parliament, but totalitarian controlled by intelligence services and restricted his basic rights.
One does not open up to me: How please is served in an economy where companies and customers can no longer rely on the confidentiality of their business relationships and transactions?

6 A Secret ... (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.zeit.de/digital/datenschutz/2013-06/wirtschaftsspionage-prism-tempora%3Fcommentstart%3D1&usg=ALkJrhhdYMawxQjTp7FU8jSopqFHZGSZSg#cid-2862396) ... in a sense of its democratic control by shifting removes all decision-making processes on non-transparent layer and every citizen a potential enemy sees it is important to keep a close eye but is itself nothing more than what he pretends to fight. An enemy of the rule of law is held accountable for his acts he commits in our name to justice.

Democratic legitimacy is rooted in the will of the people and not in the fact that a faceless FISA court agrees to monitor in my eyes. The local representatives were elected somewhere? From whom? With what legitimacy?
These are questions I would like answered, and the press should urgently provide mmn times

CPUd
09-07-2013, 03:01 PM
NSA surveillance: A guide to staying secure - Bruce Schneier
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?426985-NSA-surveillance-A-guide-to-staying-secure-Bruce-Schneier

-t

That thread is a good starting point for anyone wanting to take this on. He does a good job differentiating between encryption software and encryption algorithms, and clearing up other common misconceptions.