PDA

View Full Version : Will you primary your Congressman/woman?

mosquitobite
09-05-2013, 10:28 AM
If they vote for starting a war with Syria, is that enough to make you enter the political scene? Primary them?

Would this not be our best chance? If the American people are 90% opposed to this intervention, is this not a prime time to jump on the opportunity?

muzzled dogg
09-05-2013, 10:43 AM
no

BuddyRey
09-05-2013, 10:53 AM
I'd absolutely relish the opportunity, but I'm not sure if I would be very electable. Maybe I should start with a run for State House.

mosquitobite
09-05-2013, 10:58 AM
I'd absolutely relish the opportunity, but I'm not sure if I would be very electable. Maybe I should start with a run for State House.

I think the thought process there is sound, but how many of these fools will not have one name on the [primary] ballot in opposition to them?

That's what cannot happen if they vote for intervention in Syria. A blank slate to keep on doing the same thing they've been doing.

Christian Liberty
09-05-2013, 11:06 AM
I'm 18 so no. I can't.

My rep is also a democrat, and its more likely that I'd run in the GOP. Especially in NYS, the Dems usually win so I think the GOP would be more likely, although not particularly likely, to actually let me run.

kathy88
09-05-2013, 11:13 AM
Yeah if I hadn't been a drug swilling whore in my twenties :)

CaseyJones
09-05-2013, 11:41 AM
Yeah if I hadn't been a drug swilling whore in my twenties :)

lol ya me to
and I support this thread

CaseyJones
09-05-2013, 12:32 PM
bump

mosquitobite
09-05-2013, 12:50 PM
I have skeletons in my closet too and it would be a risk to me on my current character. God has forgiven me, but I'm not sure today's judgmental Christians could!

But I still feel it is too important of an issue to allow an incumbent to skate by with no challenger in a primary. :(

I would be open and upfront about those skeletons before the opposition got a chance to use them.

Uriah
09-05-2013, 02:09 PM
I wouldn't personally but I'd like to have someone better.

mosquitobite
09-05-2013, 02:15 PM

compromise
09-05-2013, 02:24 PM
No. I have no money to run a campaign, my Congressman is against intervention in Syria and I like my Congressman.

If theoretically my Congressman was someone who was bad on this issue as well as other issues, and was vulnerable, I would still not run as I would have little support, I'm too young to be electable (most serious candidates are at least over 30) and I do not have the ability to significantly self-fund my campaign.

I'd much rather attempt to draft in and then campaign for another candidate.

VoluntaryAmerican
09-05-2013, 03:03 PM
No. I have no money to run a campaign, my Congressman is against intervention in Syria and I like my Congressman.

If theoretically my Congressman was someone who was bad on this issue as well as other issues, and was vulnerable, I would still not run as I would have little support, I'm too young to be electable (most serious candidates are at least over 30) and I do not have the ability to significantly self-fund my campaign.

I'd much rather attempt to draft in and then campaign for another candidate.

I thought you were from the U.K.?

compromise
09-05-2013, 03:51 PM
I thought you were from the U.K.?

No, I just did a brief internship there about a year ago.

I am a citizen of the United States.

CaseyJones
09-05-2013, 03:55 PM
No, I just did a brief internship there about a year ago.

I am a citizen of the United States.

dude your IP says London

TaftFan
09-05-2013, 04:05 PM
Well, if Bob Barr wins the open primary, hopefully he will do some good things and retire in a couple of terms, then I would consider it.

Rocco
09-05-2013, 04:30 PM
I cannot, only 21, but I have started a draft effort. "Like" my page!

www.facebook.com/PrimaryTomReed

kcchiefs6465
09-05-2013, 06:34 PM
Can't. Wish I could though.

Probably unelectable in any case. It wouldn't take them long to slander my character.

mosquitobite
09-05-2013, 06:35 PM
There is something to be said for name recognition as well people.

Just put your name on the ballot so that he/she is not unopposed and then do nothing else. It at least starts getting our names out there!

If someone else runs, withdraw from the race. Simple!

NoOneButPaul
09-05-2013, 06:40 PM
I have nothing in my background that could harm me other than my posts made here and at other forums.

I'm also of age, know the issues, and have always been a great public speaker.

At the end of the day I don't have the extra money, although I have given it serious thought. You couldn't compete against a collection of well-connected wealthy individuals going for an open seat but going up against someone no one wants to waste their money on could work, at the very least you could open up some people's minds and that's ultimately just as important.

kathy88
09-05-2013, 06:43 PM
dude your IP says London

*crickets*

Nic
09-05-2013, 06:56 PM
I live in Randy "I've never seen a war I don't like" Forbes district, but he is entirely too well connected to money and we have a TON of military contractors in our district along with at least 4 military bases that I can think of right off the top of my head. My district lives off the military industrial complex. With that said, if I could raise enough money to make a stink I would primary him in a heart beat. I'm clean cut and don't have any skeletons in my closet, but I think Chris Stearns lives in the same congressional district (VA-4). If he does, he'd be the perfect person to draft.

Icymudpuppy
09-05-2013, 08:01 PM
I've thought about it more than once. I don't think I'd get much support, though.

I<3Liberty
09-05-2013, 08:12 PM
I'd like to see more libertarians and libertarian-republicans run. Even if they lose by a landslide, they're still helping by increasing publicity and (possibly) getting more people to rethink their current positions or entire political ideology.

Personally, I can't because I'm only 20. Even if I were of age, I highly doubt I'd be electable because all of the congressmen/women in PA are like middle-aged, have lots of experience, and they just have that electable look. I'm 5'4", petite, and have a really high-pitched voice. No one would take me seriously.

KMX
09-05-2013, 11:38 PM
I am running in Texas. Join me in this fight for liberty!

Facebook page is good to go, working on website and other.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Texans-For-Kory-Watkins/1429953260562406

http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss247/kmx21/FB-Banner-2-kory_zps1a9a2d23.jpg

fr33
09-06-2013, 12:21 AM
Radical hillbillies like me can't get elected. This topic does help us realize what a large segment of the liberty movement is; a bunch of outlaws with skeletons in their closet. Damn society for shunning us even though we are peaceful. :D

enoch150
09-06-2013, 02:17 AM
I'm more interested in state rep. For US rep I'd have to deal with New Haven where Democrats outnumber Republicans literally by 10 to 1. As a whole, my US rep district is 41.2% registered Democrats and 15.8% registered Republican. And the welfare addicts are not going to give up the gravy train on account of a little bombing, so a primary from the Democratic side is pointless.

On the other hand, some of the Republicans who have run for this US rep district in the past did not raise a single dime and neither did they spend any of their own money. So they demonstrated that a complete lack of funding is no bar to the Republican nomination.

Keith and stuff
09-06-2013, 03:43 AM
If you are just entering politics, it makes sense to run for a local office,or at mst, the state legislature, unless you have millions or very powerful connections. I enjoy wasting my time but even I have my limits. Fun thread, though :D

jtap
09-06-2013, 11:56 AM
I don't own a suit and don't like dressing in that uptight manner but I would be willing to put my name in there if someone was running unopposed. Currently I have no rep in the house :( but there seems to be more than a few vying for the spot in the upcoming election.

I am curious what the minimum cost would be and how much effort it takes just to become a viable option.

Keith and stuff
09-06-2013, 12:01 PM
On the other hand, some of the Republicans who have run for this US rep district in the past did not raise a single dime and neither did they spend any of their own money. So they demonstrated that a complete lack of funding is no bar to the Republican nomination.

You should switch to Democrat. Work with some liberal causes you agree with (ACLU, don't know your stance on abortion, park clean up groups, school volunteer groups, anti-war stuff, legalize weed). And oh yeah, do this in a strong Democratic district in NH ;) After a few years, Democrats will literally be asking you to run for office because no one else will. :toady:

mosquitobite
09-06-2013, 12:07 PM
I have nothing in my background that could harm me other than my posts made here and at other forums.

I'm also of age, know the issues, and have always been a great public speaker.

At the end of the day I don't have the extra money, although I have given it serious thought. You couldn't compete against a collection of well-connected wealthy individuals going for an open seat but going up against someone no one wants to waste their money on could work, at the very least you could open up some people's minds and that's ultimately just as important.

Don't forget the name recognition it would give you as well.

Uriah
09-06-2013, 12:36 PM
I don't own a suit and don't like dressing in that uptight manner but I would be willing to put my name in there if someone was running unopposed. Currently I have no rep in the house :( but there seems to be more than a few vying for the spot in the upcoming election.

I am curious what the minimum cost would be and how much effort it takes just to become a viable option.

In Iowa, if you raise $20,000 you'd be "competitive" for a state house race. A state senate seat would be twice that.

Each house district has approx. 30,000 residents and twice that for state senate.

enoch150
09-07-2013, 01:09 AM

Varies greatly by district. In my district, which is New Haven County, no amount of money will make the Republican candidate competitive, and that's about what they raise (literally $0 in 2006 and 2008, about $60,000 in 2012.)

In the two Connecticut districts which are somewhat competitive, the winner will raise $3 - $4 million and the loser $1 - $2 million

Allan West, of Florida, raised more than $19 million in 2012 and lost. That's the most I have ever seen for a US House race, by far.

Justin Amash raised $1.3 million in a winning campaign while his opponent raised $2 million.

In the same state, Kerry Bentivolio raised $485,000 in a winning campaign while his opponent raised $684,000.

An easy way to check your district: http://www.opensecrets.org/races/index.php

jtap
09-09-2013, 06:49 AM
In Iowa, if you raise $20,000 you'd be "competitive" for a state house race. A state senate seat would be twice that.

Each house district has approx. 30,000 residents and twice that for state senate.

That is a favourable district. It would almost be a waste for a liberty candidate to not run there, especially if it was a scenario where someone was running unopposed.

Varies greatly by district. In my district, which is New Haven County, no amount of money will make the Republican candidate competitive, and that's about what they raise (literally $0 in 2006 and 2008, about $60,000 in 2012.)

In the two Connecticut districts which are somewhat competitive, the winner will raise $3 - $4 million and the loser $1 - $2 million

Allan West, of Florida, raised more than $19 million in 2012 and lost. That's the most I have ever seen for a US House race, by far.

Justin Amash raised $1.3 million in a winning campaign while his opponent raised $2 million.

In the same state, Kerry Bentivolio raised $485,000 in a winning campaign while his opponent raised $684,000.

An easy way to check your district: http://www.opensecrets.org/races/index.php

Thanks. 1.1 million for my district and I think it was his sixth term, so his name was already out there, big time. I will be curious to see what the next winner of the seat will be spending out of the bundle of people who want it.

KMX
09-09-2013, 08:05 AM
People should do what they want in this fight for liberty no matter if it's big or small no matter if you have experience or not. Encourage people, stop the discourage.

fr33
09-09-2013, 05:52 PM
dude your IP says London

He's gone silent. :eek:

mosquitobite
09-09-2013, 06:47 PM
People should do what they want in this fight for liberty no matter if it's big or small no matter if you have experience or not. Encourage people, stop the discourage.

YES!