PDA

View Full Version : Rumor of "don't go to iowa" debunked -- Confirmed

megan
06-24-2007, 10:24 PM
from facebook:

Yes, this is literally coming straight from the Ron Paul Campaign Headquarters. The Michigan Campaign director had discussions with the Iowa director, and Lew Moore, at different times over the past week. They officially declared that they do not want out-of-state Paul supporters to come to the Tax-Payers' forum and the following Paul promo rally.

All the money that you might be wasting on gas could be better spent if it were donated to the campaign directly. I know this is counter-intuitive, saying this to groups of libertarians... but this is the hard truth. The more money that they can get, the better.

Apparently, the McCain camp isn't doing as well financially as they had hoped. With that in mind, the likelihood that we can pass their campaign's total raised funds is MUCH higher than ever expected.

If we can pass McCain in total funds by June 30, we can prove, without a doubt, that Paul has REAL support, and this can easily translate into growing support of geometric proportions.

Again, I repeat: Don't go to Iowa if you are out-of-state. If you really want to help, donate all of the money that you would have spent on gas directly to the campaign.

I hope RP gets lots of support in Iowa, and this news made me feel better about not being able to go.

CurtisLow
06-24-2007, 10:26 PM
Cool, thanks for the heads up... Do you have a link? I don't see that on his official site?

cujothekitten
06-24-2007, 10:27 PM
I'm going to go donate another 25$ now

akalucas
06-24-2007, 10:31 PM
nice to hear HQ clarifying this for us, so we can do what is best for the campaign.

damijin
06-24-2007, 10:32 PM
Sound decision. I wasn't planning on going, but I'll be adding another $45 to the campaign before the end of the quarter.

jd603
06-24-2007, 10:34 PM
Really? Aren't they having an official gathering there for Paul anyway separate from the Tax forum? This is a little confusing, we should verify this is legit.

G-khan
06-24-2007, 10:36 PM
I would not trust this until I see it coming from RP HQ and I just looked at their site and see no mention of it.. Maybe call them in the morning to confirm this?

PatriotOne
06-24-2007, 10:37 PM
Got a link to that information Megan?

G-khan
06-24-2007, 10:40 PM
Do you have a link Megan I also would like to see it...

megan
06-24-2007, 10:40 PM
feel free to call and confirm or wait. logically, I think they are expecting a lot of out-of-staters to come, and a lot of in-staters to come, and a huge spillover from the tax forum right before. I think they will have enough people to see him speak, and I doubt they would ever want to turn anyone away or say, "sorry out-of-stater, we said not to come, so go home!" but as someone who couldn't go, this did make me feel better, and it gave me some confidence that my presence wouldn't really be missed :)

someone who is an iowa insider from the facebook group posted it. http://dana.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=2229718737&topic=5091 this is the thread and there is a lot of good discussion happening at the moment.

Trance Dance Master
06-24-2007, 10:42 PM
Megan is full of BS. This sentence says it all.

The public is invited.

http://blog.ronpaul2008.com/ron_paul_2008/2007/06/in-iowa-ron-pau.html

G-khan
Thanks Megan:)

dspectre
Thanks for the post Megan!! I think this needs to get out to everyone and made clear.

quickmike
06-24-2007, 10:43 PM
Ive been saying this all along. I know it would be exciting to go to Iowa to show support, but its not going to help get Iowans support. If anything, it will make them feel like they are being invaded, and possibly turn voters away. If they like his message, they will pay attention, if they dont like the message, it would be even worse if we were all there. Just give the Ron some room guys. Show your support through donations instead. Radio ads and TV ads help spread the message to thousands and thousands of people all over the country. We can help by telling local people about him. Just think of how much more we can get accomplished in our own states putting the same energy localy, instead of just gathering in one town in Iowa for a day.

Just a thought.

herepamwas
06-24-2007, 10:44 PM
I wasn't planning on going but, it makes sense to me to donate the money you would have spent coming from out of state. What a boost that would be in the coffers.

dspectre
06-24-2007, 10:45 PM
We need everyone to see this, and if need be, if people aren't confident in the facebook posting, we need to get an email or phone call or something from the campaign.

All of it makes sense, though, the gas money and hotel money(which would be a ton of money) people would spend would probably be better for the campaign and to just let Native Iowans deal with what is going on.

amonasro
06-24-2007, 10:46 PM
Let's not get out the "jump to conclusions mat" until we get an official announcement on the RP site.

CJLauderdale4
06-24-2007, 10:47 PM
If this is true, which I can financially understand HQ's perspective (with the cost of gas and flights these days), then:

Iowa meetups and campaign offices need to STEP IT UP this week!!!
Get flyers, business cards, etc. out to the Iowans on the street in Des Moines!!
Tell'em there's a message on freedom, and free food as well!!!

STEP IT UP IOWA!! RON PAUL NEEDS YOU !!!

PatriotOne
06-24-2007, 10:48 PM
I would hardly change my plans to go to Iowa on a message from Dana on facebook. Wait for a legitimate source for this. Otherwise I cry B.S.

Bradley in DC
06-24-2007, 10:56 PM
No matter what, we should do what we can to raise money for the campaign. If one is already maxed out (I plan on doing that this week), then use additional money to underwrite a fundraiser to push us past McCain's total cash on hand.

After that, then sure, the more the merrier in Iowa, I would think--and plan on going door-to-door, etc., there to get the word out!

ChrisM
06-24-2007, 11:00 PM
I wouldn't trust this one source until somebody credible announces it. I'm sure there are good intentions behind this, but something this huge cannot be trusted from somebody who is not with the campaign.

Also, if you read the "quotes" it refers specifically to Michigan. That was probably because Michigan was so far away, and the handful of people wouldn't be worth the gas money specifically from Michigan or farther.

FSP-Rebel
06-24-2007, 11:00 PM
Actually, Megan is right. There was a private party in Troy, Mich on Thursday night in which everything she said was coming from the horse's mouth (heard it myself from the national chair (Lew Moore) and our newly elected chair Paul Garfield [MI rep for GOA]). I've had to clarify a few things with the uninformed from Michigan. Not sure who she is, but she's right. Guaranteed.

FSP-Rebel
06-24-2007, 11:03 PM
To ChrisM, I'm a friend of the Mi state chair Paul Garfield and can verify the truth to this. I was originally about to make the trip, but was told otherwise. Lew Moore told us all in attendance as well as meant the statement for everyone else. This is Gospel

jd603
06-24-2007, 11:06 PM
Again, lets see something official. I'm not even going, but don't want to see a rumor stop a potentially positive gathering , even if half of them are out-of-staters.

Actually, Megan is right. There was a private party in Troy, Mich on Thursday night in which everything she said was coming from the horse's mouth (heard it myself from the national chair (Lew Moore) and our newly elected chair Paul Garfield [MI rep for GOA]). I've had to clarify a few things with the uninformed from Michigan. Not sure who she is, but she's right. Guaranteed.

ChrisM
06-24-2007, 11:08 PM
To ChrisM, I'm a friend of the Mi state chair Paul Garfield and can verify the truth to this. I was originally about to make the trip, but was told otherwise. Lew Moore told us all in attendance as well as meant the statement for everyone else. This is Gospel
This isn't Gospel yet. This is hearsay.

I urge organizational leaders to call tomorrow to verify this. I don't mean not to trust you, but you can understand why naturally somebody shouldn't trust you.

I'm not pulling any options off the table yet. You may be right, but there's no way to know. There's an easy to find out: Call the campaign's offices tomorrow.

megan
06-24-2007, 11:09 PM
Megan is full of BS.

aw. ouch. I was just passing info along. it's not from my Dana College group, it's from the Ron Paul 2008 group and it was posted by someone who was physically at the meeting.

From the OP:

I am, without a doubt, 100% sure about this.
The Michigan Campaign director stressed this issue literally to the point of annoyance. Just last week on Thursday, Lew Moore was in town, and met up with Paul Gardener (the Michigan director) and he said that, as of now, they do not want out-of-staters driving to Iowa... especially people from such distances as Michigan.
Now, if they do need people to come, they would be more than glad to have them. Its understandable that people who are planning it will be pissed... but this is what they decided. And I think they are forecasting that there are going to be a few people who will still come anyways. With that in mind, they have a strategy, and they have been remarkably capable thus far.

the point they are trying to make is that they need to have room at the speech for the people who attended the ITR Forum. It'll be more productive to have previous non-supporters go hear him so they can be educated on his views. So they definitely want room for them. Regardless of the original source, this is a logical argument.

But you will all look awesome at the rally outside the building with your signs and coolers and flags and t-shirts, and I hope there is room inside for you to all go hear what he has to say. No matter how the MSM interprets or spins the presence of everybody, your support is positive and it is good of you to be present to show it. I know it will be a fun day. If you are dead-set and excited to go, you should. You will love it and you will be able to tell us all about it.

Zydeco
06-24-2007, 11:10 PM
5,000 non-Iowans want to know! :eek:

FSP-Rebel
06-24-2007, 11:12 PM
How much you want to bet that this isn't gospel brother? You want to go a million to one? Go ahead and make your calls--you'll realize my credibility eventually

jd603
06-24-2007, 11:15 PM
Who are you trying to convince? We just decided we'll wait for an obvious official announcement, since everything before this has suggested that people SHOULD gather there!

How much you want to bet that this isn't gospel brother? You want to go a million to one? Go ahead and make your calls--you'll realize my credibility eventually

ChrisM
06-24-2007, 11:17 PM
Fine, I will, eventually

I'm not attacking you, I've said as much, and yet you come off as if you have been personally insulted because people aren't believing huge campaign news coming from somebody who heard it from a reliable source and is posting this on the anonymous Internet. I have every reason not to believe you, so chill out, let rumor settle, and let people verify this for themselves. You can't expect anybody to absolutely believe everything you're claiming. The circumstances don't permit it.

Rumor: Everywhere its voices sound, to everything its ears are open.

FSP-Rebel
06-24-2007, 11:20 PM
The point that I'm trying to make, cuz, is that I was at that meeting on Thurs. night where all this was discussed. And, it's not Paul Gardener (state chair), it's Paul Garfield

FSP-Rebel
06-24-2007, 11:22 PM
OK boss, I will 'chill out.'

Bryan
06-24-2007, 11:24 PM
Ive been saying this all along. I know it would be exciting to go to Iowa to show support, but its not going to help get Iowans support. If anything, it will make them feel like they are being invaded, and possibly turn voters away. If they like his message, they will pay attention, if they dont like the message, it would be even worse if we were all there. Just give the Ron some room guys. Show your support through donations instead. Radio ads and TV ads help spread the message to thousands and thousands of people all over the country. We can help by telling local people about him. Just think of how much more we can get accomplished in our own states putting the same energy localy, instead of just gathering in one town in Iowa for a day.

Just a thought.
I would agree it's not very cost-effective if all you're going to do is go to the rally-- but some have planned on going all week to help campaign. As the structure of the elections are, Iowa is allowing the focus to get put on them, I'd bet it's a bit of a boom for the local economy to boot so as a whole you take the good with the bad (invasion). So long as campaigning is done respectfully and coordinated I'm not sure how it could hurt. I'd understand if you had Dr. Paul supporters knocking on your door three times a day for a week one could get turned away but if you we're only greeted once I'd say the overall effect would be positive. My $0.02.

LibertyEagle
06-24-2007, 11:29 PM
Here's what I don't get. If this was decided on Thursday, why did it take 3 days for it to get to us and even then, by someone who is not with the campaign?

FSP-Rebel
06-24-2007, 11:33 PM
If you haven't noticed, I don't post here much--I'm more of the active type. And thus, this is why I was invited to the private party thursday night with the national chair. And btw, the national chair had to be back in his home state of WA in order to go to his daughter's grad party. Ya need anything else? Sorry for being a smartass folks, I'd be checking others just like your checkin me.

ChrisM
06-24-2007, 11:33 PM
I've made that point. If not here, then on the Facebook thread. Rumor tends to fly faster than that. You would think it'd be here mere hours after it was heard.

Just wait until office hours tomorrow and call.
703-248-9115

If the campaign finds out this is a giant hoax, they will probably send out a mass email. Otherwise, the campaign will be glad to 1) confirm this as true and 2) provide a reasonable explanation.

jd603
06-24-2007, 11:35 PM
This is the official word so far,,, GO TO IOWA --

http://blog.ronpaul2008.com/ron_paul_2008/2007/06/in-iowa-ron-pau.html

FSP-Rebel
06-24-2007, 11:39 PM
I'd want to speak with Lew before I made that decision. I had an offer from a freestater friend in IA to come, protest and spend the night. But, since I've personally heard otherwise...

jd603
06-24-2007, 11:44 PM
Even the "protest" aside (even though it may not even be one by definition), Ron Paul WILL be there officially for his own gathering, so to say not to go to Iowa sounds like bull. time will tell but NOBODY should change their plans yet.

I'd want to speak with Lew before I made that decision. I had an offer from a freestater friend in IA to come, protest and spend the night. But, since I've personally heard otherwise...

megan
06-24-2007, 11:46 PM
the point they are trying to make is that they need to have room at the speech for the people who attended the ITR Forum. It'll be more productive to have previous non-supporters go hear him so they can be educated on his views. So they definitely want room for them. Regardless of the original source, this is a logical argument.

But you will all look awesome at the rally outside the building with your signs and coolers and flags and t-shirts, and I hope there is room inside for you to all go hear what he has to say. No matter how the MSM interprets or spins the presence of everybody, your support is positive and it is good of you to be present to show it. I know it will be a fun day. If you are dead-set and excited to go, you should. You will love it and you will be able to tell us all about it.

yep.

Bryan in Iowa
06-24-2007, 11:46 PM
We here in Des Moines did not find out Ron Paul was coming until Friday, an announcement wasn't made until Saturday. At no time did the Iowa Coordinator mention people from out-of-state should not show at the rally. In fact, contingencies were being drawn up for just that...visitors attending from other states.

I have sent an email to the principles and will post the reply to the board when there's a response.

FSP-Rebel
06-24-2007, 11:47 PM
Maybe since I'm a newbie, I haven't come across any trolls yet. Guess Megan & I am the 1st:rolleyes:

torchbearer
06-24-2007, 11:47 PM
We here in Des Moines did not find out Ron Paul was coming until Friday, an announcement wasn't made until Saturday. At no time did the Iowa Coordinator mention people from out-of-state should not show at the rally. In fact, contingencies were being drawn up for just that...visitors attending from other states.

I have sent an email to the principles and will post the reply to the board when there's a response.

Thank you for looking into this... it gets tiresome reading people's bickering over small things like this. we got bigger fish to fry.

ChrisM
06-24-2007, 11:48 PM
Well, you were invited, so I think you should go anyway. If people ask, say your very good friend from Iowa invited you. That shouldn't be so controversial, nor would I expect the MSM to discredit the non-staters because Iowans invited them themselves.

skyorbit
06-24-2007, 11:49 PM
I don't know.
We're pretty much already promised the media and the buzz that we'll have at least 500-1000 people their.

It'll be kind-of anti-climactic if a small number of people show up.

IF this is the case, I hope they've got confirmation that their's over 1000 people going to be their.

Again, I haven't gotten an official e-mail from the Paul campagn. I think many people are going to go anyway. I know I would if I could get away. Just because, I'd like to meet Ron Paul.

Tracy

ChrisM
06-24-2007, 11:49 PM
Maybe since I'm a newbie, I haven't come across any trolls yet. Guess Megan & I am the 1st:rolleyes:
No, a troll wouldn't have the restraint even you have shown.

Thank you for not exploding on me, especially while I continue to bat down your assertions.

If what you say is true, then you wouldn't be a troll anyway. It could have been a very simple misinterpretation.

Joe Knows
06-24-2007, 11:51 PM
"In my heart I am an Iowan!"

ChrisM
06-24-2007, 11:52 PM
"In my heart I am an Iowan!"
When election season comes, I'm sure we all are ;)

Zydeco
06-24-2007, 11:52 PM
Thank you for looking into this... it gets tiresome reading people's bickering over small things like this. we got bigger fish to fry.

Small things like the campaign's image?

FSP-Rebel
06-24-2007, 11:54 PM
Chris--Good man. We even had a couple dudes from your meetup at our thursday ordeal. Not sure of their names (had a few too many brews), but one had thick, black framed glasses...White guy of course.

torchbearer
06-24-2007, 11:55 PM
small thing = who is credible or not. the info is important. that is why i thank the gentleman for looking into it.

Blowback
06-24-2007, 11:57 PM
Just heard Lew Moore speack for about an hour today and he mentioned nothing of the sort. Even when the Iowa event was brought up. This smells like BS. I think the campaign believes the more the merrier!

Keep on planning to go unless you here it directly from the campaign.

torchbearer
06-24-2007, 11:58 PM
People get so snappy and rude on this forum, makes me want to stay away. is it wise to continue this kind of environment? again- no reply to this post is needed. just think about it... and let it govern all your future responses before you hit the reply button.
then again... you can always continue to be rude to each other and destroy the campaign from the inside... your choice. always.

ChrisM
06-25-2007, 12:00 AM
Bullshit seems like a bit of a strong term for this, no? I don't think that's quite exactly what's happened here. Most likely it's a misinterpretation of Lew Moore's off-the-record statement.

wecandoit
06-25-2007, 12:03 AM
I'll be the first to say I don't know what is what, but this could certainly be an attempt at pre-emptive damage control.

I mean how bad would the ITR and the GOP for that matter, look if 5 times the number of people showed up for RP's rally then did the forum? How much publicity would that generate for Paul?, how much would that possibly be worth to Paul? more than gas money I'd think.

This could be what they say it is, or it could be a scared ITR/GOP/PTB trying to defuse a potentially embarrasing situation.

Everyone should keep making their plans until it's posted on the official RP site.

JoshLowry
06-25-2007, 12:03 AM
If you are going to have a thread that says "From RP Headquarters" or "RP Announcement" it needs to include a source.

We are not an RP announcement board. If the campaign wanted to get information out they would most likely post it on their site or blog. Justine Lam the eCampaign Manager is able to post announcements here and I have not received any emails nor seen any posts from her.

In the future please cite these kinds of threads with a link.

Blowback
06-25-2007, 12:04 AM
No, BS is about right I think. I guarantee it's just plain incorrect.

torchbearer
06-25-2007, 12:04 AM
If you are going to have a thread that says "From RP Headquarters" or "RP Announcement" it needs to include a source.

We are not an RP announcement board. If the campaign wanted to get information out they would most likely post it on their site or blog. Justine Lam the eCampaign Manager is able to post announcements here and I have not received any emails nor seen any posts from her.

In the future please cite these kinds of threads with a link.

Thank you Josh for the fresh breeze of sanity. Must be the Gulf air.

FSP-Rebel
06-25-2007, 12:05 AM
Did anyone ask him about whether they should go to IA or just did the general topic of it get brought up? If I was yall, I wouldn't make plans just yet. If you guys can't come up with a straight answer by t-morrow, then I'll arrange for someone here to be able to talk to our state chair. Or, I'll have him come here and waste his time so that you guys won't (in the eyes of the big shots). Just so ya know, I spent over thrity hours last weekend promoting RP at a local festival. Why would I even waste my time if I wasn't working for the benefit of myself and everyone on this board?

ChrisM
06-25-2007, 12:08 AM
Did anyone ask him about whether they should go to IA or just did the general topic of it get brought up? If I was yall, I wouldn't make plans just yet. If you guys can't come up with a straight answer by t-morrow, then I'll arrange for someone here to be able to talk to our state chair. Or, I'll have him come here and waste his time so that you guys won't (in the eyes of the big shots). Just so ya know, I spent over thrity hours last weekend promoting RP at a local festival. Why would I even waste my time if I wasn't working for the benefit of myself and everyone on this board?
We aren't doubting you. We're doubting your information -- very much so at this point.

FSP-Rebel
06-25-2007, 12:09 AM
Oh and the source is Lew Moore. Do you honestly think that anyone from the national campaign is going to come here to alleviate your pain on this issue. Doubt it. In fact, you'd be lucky to catch any one of them on the phone. Do you know how many people are involved in this thing?

wecandoit
06-25-2007, 12:11 AM
well if this does prove to be a hoax, then it should serve to encourage us, and we should redouble our efforts to get to Iowa. It shows they are worried we are going to have a big PR success. Everytime someone tries to undercut us, it backfires, every single time, doesn't it?

If this is legit, and we hear it from the campaign, then we should do what the campaign asks, but it smells pretty fishy to me. The more FSP tries to sell it, the more it smells, I don't understand his motivation to continue in this thread at this point.

joshuastjohn
06-25-2007, 12:13 AM
I was at the public meeting Friday with Lew Moore and Paul Garfield. Lew Moore said to hold off any plans because there will be an announcement shortly. Apparently that announcement was the rally. Paul Garfield is urging us not to go and he would rather us donate then spend gas money going to Iowa. He prefers that money be donated before June 30th for a strong Q2 showing.

JoshLowry
06-25-2007, 12:13 AM
Lew Moore said that Elvis is not dead.

I'm serious. It's official.

Just looking for a link, it would be nice. :p

FSP-Rebel
06-25-2007, 12:15 AM
Thanx for the backup Joshua, I think this topic is OV. That's a wrap...

JoshLowry
06-25-2007, 12:20 AM
Thanx for the backup Joshua, I think this topic is OV. That's a wrap...

We will find out first thing tomorrow morning. No reason to make this a big deal tonight.

Rest up, there's no one that has left for Iowa yet, we can all still change plans if we get a web confirmed source.

Have to be careful with where information "officially" comes from.

John of Des Moines
06-25-2007, 12:20 AM
Sorry, Megan does have the Iowa's Director's name right. (Lew Moore is the National guy, Joe Seehusen is in Iowa)

Everybody is WELCOME! Come to Des Moines. We're working on plans to make the Rally even bigger.

JoshLowry
06-25-2007, 12:24 AM
Ok, well there is no use in arguing over who is right tonight.

Call the campaign HQ if you have doubt about your plans. I will see if I can't get Justine Lam to post here tomorrow.