PDA

View Full Version : Supreme Court to rule on fate of indefinite detention for Americans under NDAA

Lucille
09-03-2013, 02:38 PM
Prediction: The Police Statists on SCOTUS will happily sign off on that abomination.

Supreme Court to rule on fate of indefinite detention for Americans under NDAA
http://rt.com/usa/ndaa-scotus-hedges-suit-359/

The United States Supreme Court is being asked to hear a federal lawsuit challenging the military’s legal ability to indefinitely detain persons under the National Defense Authorization Act of 2012, or NDAA.

According to Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Chris Hedges — a co-plaintiff in the case — attorneys will file paperwork in the coming days requesting that the country’s high court weigh in on Hedges v. Obama and determine the constitutionality of a controversial provision that has continuously generated criticism directed towards the White House since signed into law by President Barack Obama almost two years ago and defended adamantly by his administration in federal court in the years since.

Should the Supreme Court reject the plaintiffs’ plea, Hedges said it could signal the “obliteration of our last remaining legal protections.”
[...]
In an editorial published by Hedges on Monday (http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/18539-the-last-chance-to-stop-the-ndaa), he wrote that he has been detained numerous times during his decades as a foreign correspondent, and in those instances was illegally held by the US government.

“In those days there was no law that could be used to seize and detain me,” he wrote. “Now there is.”
[...]
According to Hedges, the Supreme Court only accepted around 100 of the 8,000-or-so requests it receives each year. “If we fail, if this law stands, if in the years ahead the military starts to randomly seize and disappear people, if dissidents and activists become subject to indefinite and secret detention in military gulags, we will at least be able to look back on this moment and know we fought back,” he wrote.

Lots more at the link.

http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/18539-the-last-chance-to-stop-the-ndaa

I and my fellow plaintiffs have begun the third and final round of our battle to get the courts to strike down a section of theNational Defense Authorization Act(NDAA) that permits the military to seize U.S. citizens, strip them of due process and hold them indefinitely in military facilities. Carl Mayer and Bruce Afran, the lawyers who with me in January 2012 brought a lawsuit against President Barack Obama (Hedges v. Obama), are about to file papers asking the U.S. Supreme Court to hear our appeal of a 2013 ruling on the act’s Section 1021.

angelatc
09-03-2013, 02:45 PM
Reading that, it appears they haven't agreed to hear it yet, so they might not rule on it.

Lucille
09-03-2013, 02:56 PM
Reading that, it appears they haven't agreed to hear it yet, so they might not rule on it.

If they hear it or don't hear it, we're screwed.

Should the Supreme Court reject the plaintiffs’ plea, Hedges said it could signal the “obliteration of our last remaining legal protections.”