PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul: Assad 'Protected Christians' in Syria, Rebels 'Attacking Christians'

jct74
09-01-2013, 10:45 AM
article getting lots of comments on HuffPo front page

Rand Paul: Assad 'Protected Christians' in Syria, Rebels 'Attacking Christians'

by Christina Wilkie
Posted: 09/01/2013 12:06 pm EDT

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1329789/thumbs/r-RAND-PAUL-large570.jpg?6

WASHINGTON - Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) on Sunday portrayed the current conflict in Syria as one between the government of President Bashar Al Assad, who Paul said "has protected Christians for a number of decades," and "Islamic rebels," who Paul said "have been attacking Christians" and are aligned with Al Qaeda.

"I think the Islamic rebels winning is a bad idea for the Christians, and all of a sudden we'll have another Islamic state where Christians are persecuted," Paul said on NBC's "Meet the Press."

Paul was likely referring to a string of incidents in Egypt in recent weeks, where supporters of the deposed government of former president Mohamed Morsi have burned Coptic Christian churches to protest what they see as Christian backing for the military overthrow of Morsi's government.

Paul urged the U.S. to engage more fully with Russia and China, the two permanent members of the UN Security Council which support Assad. Both countries have thus far promised to veto any UN-led intervention in Syria. Paul acknowledged, however, that Assad is not a U.S. ally, either.

Paul also said that U.S. intervention would imperil U.S. allies in the region, including Jordan and Israel. Paul said he'd like to ask John Kerry, "'Do you think if it's more likely or less likely that we'll have less refugees in Jordan or if Israel will suffer an attack" if the U.S. decided to strike Syrian military targets.

read more:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/01/rand-paul-syria_n_3852644.html

eleganz
09-01-2013, 12:14 PM
the liberal commenters sound like war mongers.

kathy88
09-01-2013, 12:49 PM
People's heads are going to explode over this one.

thoughtomator
09-01-2013, 12:52 PM
It's an excellent play in the run-up to 2016. Rand as defender of Christians when the rest of the field were cowardly chickenhawks.

FriedChicken
09-01-2013, 01:22 PM
Really seems crazy to me, since I've only been paying attention since 2007, that so many liberals are beating the war drums and the only hope of stopping a war is in the hands of the republicans.
The comment section is nuts.

BlackTerrel
09-01-2013, 01:49 PM
Rand is playing this masterfully. He is also 100% correct.

Natural Citizen
09-01-2013, 01:51 PM
Rand is playing this masterfully. He is also 100% correct.

This is not a game.

BlackTerrel
09-01-2013, 01:53 PM
Really seems crazy to me, since I've only been paying attention since 2007, that so many liberals are beating the war drums and the only hope of stopping a war is in the hands of the republicans.

If you read Huffpo the comments are usually 50/50 on Syria. The reason this one is more like 90/10 is that:

1. HuffPo liberals don't like Rand
2. They like Christians even less. Strong anti-Christian bias on that site. They don't like that Rand mentioned Christianity there.

BlackTerrel
09-01-2013, 01:53 PM

If you read Huffpo the comments are usually 50/50 on Syria. The reason this one is more like 90/10 is that:

2. They like Christians even less. Strong anti-Christian bias on that site. They don't like that Rand mentioned Christianity there.

GunnyFreedom
09-01-2013, 01:54 PM
This is not a game.

You must be new to politics. :(

specsaregood
09-01-2013, 02:09 PM

And that is the reason Rand keeps hitting on the presence of Christians in Syria being on the side of Assad, over and over and over. He knows the only hope to stop further war involvement is to get the GOP to vote NO -- because the Dems will rubberstamp it. And the only way you are gonna get the gOP to vote no is if you get their Christian base involved and against us bombing assad.

Natural Citizen
09-01-2013, 02:10 PM
You must be new to politics. :(

I'm not a very political person. Have only recently become interested in it's social processes and effect on progression/devolution of civilization.

krugminator
09-01-2013, 02:14 PM
This is not a game.

It is a game.People aren't making decisions stoically in a vacuum. There are a lot considerations that have nothing to do with the issue. Rand is a salesman trying to hit pressure points that motivate people to buy his ideas.

Natural Citizen
09-01-2013, 02:16 PM
There are a lot considerations that have nothing to do with the issue.

Like what?

krugminator
09-01-2013, 02:24 PM
Like what?

Bringing up killing Christians in every interview? While not totally unimportant, he brings it up a lot more than necessary because it is likely to motivate certain segments to join his side.

Think how he sells eliminating foreign aid. He paints a picture of giving money to terrorists beheading people and burning the American flag. That motivates people more than saying we will eliminate aid to Japan or South Korea where image of someone peacefully drinking tea isn't going to get people to change their minds quickly.

RonPaulFanInGA
09-01-2013, 02:47 PM

Yes, Christianity and Rand Paul attracts Huffington Post liberals like a rotten banana does fruit flies. And these "fruit flies" are just as annoying and in-your-face.

jtstellar
09-01-2013, 03:15 PM
I'm not a very political person. Have only recently become interested in it's social processes and effect on progression/devolution of civilization.

so what?

doesn't mean politics doesn't exist or that it is any less impactful

FSP-Rebel
09-01-2013, 03:28 PM
The Libertarian Phantom of the Opera is running the elites' table like a Boss.

alucard13mm
09-01-2013, 03:36 PM
Emotions and jingles are the path to presidency.

jbauer
09-01-2013, 08:01 PM
This is not a game.

Politics is a game. War isn't. He was politicking this morning.

pcosmar
09-01-2013, 08:29 PM
Paul was likely referring to a string of incidents in Egypt in recent weeks,

NO,, he was likely referring to numerous reports of Syrian "rebels" attacking Christian civilians and churches.

Something the MSM had been noticeably quiet about.

Mr.NoSmile
09-01-2013, 10:56 PM
Doesn't mean they were all on board for Assad, though. From 2011:

Many of Syria's 2.5 million Christians are supporting President Bashar Assad amidst ongoing protests in the country. They prefer a brutal dictator who guarantees the rights of religious minorities to the uncertain future that Assad's departure would bring. The president is exploiting their fears of Islamists for his own ends.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/the-tolerant-dictator-syria-s-christians-side-with-assad-out-of-fear-a-800450.html

Natural Citizen
09-01-2013, 10:59 PM
Politics is a game. War isn't. He was politicking this morning.

I forgot about this thread. There was a reason that I responded initially but now I forget why.

Origanalist
09-01-2013, 11:01 PM

How does that saying go......?

Natural Citizen
09-01-2013, 11:03 PM
How does that saying go......?

Nah, it really was relevant. Like down the road kind of relevant though. I had a few different discussions in memory at the time.

CPUd
09-02-2013, 01:02 AM
John Kerry looks like he is angling to make another run in 2016; I think he would only do it if Biden does not run. Either of them could go up against Hillary, but they will only want 1 from the current administration.

Bergie Bergeron
09-02-2013, 09:07 AM
Comments here are gold: https://www.facebook.com/groups/385100594943759/#!/PragProgPage/posts/646846422000342?comment_id=7086635&notif_t=comment_mention