PDA

View Full Version : We Need To Build Our Party ... From The Ground Up

gnuschler
09-01-2013, 08:38 AM
I preface these comments by conceding that I am not a political junkie, and that there are folks on this board who know much more about these subjects than I.

Political parties should be built from the ground up, supported at its base by grassroots supporters. However, rather than build our own political party, we have (wisely) chosen to reclaim the Republican Party. To help build our party, I would ordinarily contribute to the national party or the related state parties … but since we are taking over someone else’s party, this is not an option. That leaves us with PACs, and there are several high profile PACs that do an exceptional job of supporting libertarian or Tea Party candidates … for federal office, especially high profile Senate races. The commitment to those liberty candidates seeking lower office seems to be lacking. That becomes painfully obvious when we decide to challenge entrenched incumbents backed by the GOP Establishment, and find ourselves evaluating a weak bench.

If we are to lay out a long-term strategy for restoring the republic, it must include identifying, vetting, and financing liberty candidates for state office and state legislature as well. My comments from here focus on fundraising, as that is where I am likely to add the most value. My wife and I are preparing to contribute $5,000 to liberty candidates next year, and while I could write checks to my five favorite Senate candidates and call it a day, I know some of those dollars could be better spent building our bench for the long-term. That, however, is where things get tricky.

It seems to me that we need something (in lieu of a political party) that vets candidates and allocates resources. PACs have the advantage of bundling small contributions and distributing them to a broad array of candidates; unfortunately, what I am proposing (vetting potentially thousands of candidates in all 50 states) requires manpower that most PACs do not have. There are Super PACs that may have this ability, but they are prohibited from contributing directly to individual campaigns. Liberty’s answer to ActBlue would seem to be at least part of the solution.

My questions are: 1) does something like this already exist of which I am simply unaware; and 2) if not, who is the best organization to sponsor something like this. Campaign For Liberty is one possibility … it would likely select candidates on which we could all agree. Another possibility could be FreedomWorks … among all the major Tea Party organizations, FreedomWorks seems to be most aligned with Ron Paul’s liberty ideals. It also has deep ties to grassroots activists around the country, and has already created a Super PAC.

As a final addendum, I would note that jurgs01 has put together a website (http://www.candidates4liberty.com (http://www.candidates4liberty.com/)) that has compiled a list of many candidates – both Liberty Candidates and “Fellow Travelers” (allies in our new political party) – with links to their websites. This site has been extraordinarily helpful and I commend him for the obvious time and effort that went into creating it. However, I still think we need something that will help bring contributions under one roof and allocate those contributions in support of a longer-term strategy.

To achieve long-term success in restoring the republic, we will also need to consider liberty outreach programs to Millennials, union members, racial minorities … and business Republicans. However, I will leave that discussion for a later date.

I am open to any comments, complaints, suggestions or … considering the length of this post … other choice words you would like to share.

Cleaner44
09-01-2013, 09:24 AM
I think many of us here consider the state House and Senate races to be as important as the federal offices. We need to strengthen our state governments while shrinking the federal government. We must return power to our local governments as they will always be more responsive than those in D.C.

Just writing a nice check to a PAC is not as the answer to me. I think each of us should put our money in the candidates and races that are most important to each of us. I am not saying that donating to a PAC or organization is bad, just that I would sometimes cut out the middleman and send funds directly to the candidates.

Donating to Campaign For Liberty is always good. Related but different, donating to Gun Owners of America is always good too. Young Americans for Liberty is certainly a great place to donate too.

Matthew5
09-01-2013, 10:02 AM
And what is the plan for the millions of establishment GOP voters? The only reason Ron Paul registered on the radar of the GOP was because grassroots had hijacked some of the GOP's weaker areas. But somewhere like Oklahoma, the reddest state in the union, he barely gained 10% of the vote where people like Rick Santorum and Newt Gringrinch did really well. And their campaigns were DOA on Super Tuesday.

gnuschler
09-01-2013, 12:02 PM
And what is the plan for the millions of establishment GOP voters? The only reason Ron Paul registered on the radar of the GOP was because grassroots had hijacked some of the GOP's weaker areas. But somewhere like Oklahoma, the reddest state in the union, he barely gained 10% of the vote where people like Rick Santorum and Newt Gringrinch did really well. And their campaigns were DOA on Super Tuesday.

My "plan," insofar as I have one, is to identify and fund articulate Liberty candidates in all 50 states, red and blue alike.

But to your question about expanding our influence in red states ... let's take Louisiana as an example (just because we have some polling data). Ron Paul came in 4th in the Louisiana primary last year with 6% of the vote; however, ridiculously early polls have Rand Paul leading in Louisiana with 18%. This is a trend we've seen in much of the country ... despite the fact that he won relatively few votes, Ron Paul did succeed in getting his message through.

Now let's look at the Senate race in 2014. Louisiana's GOP Congressmen leave something to be desired ... Fleming and Scalise are okay, but neither would be confused with a passionate Liberty candidate. So Rep. Bill Cassidy (FW lifetime score 73%) is running for the U.S. Senate seat, and the entire state GOP has endorsed him. So the Tea Party has gotten behind Rob Manness, a candidate with no name recognition and no electoral history. In a state where our message has finally gotten some traction and could be ripe for a takeover, we have no good candidates and are left with a low probability long shot.

If we are going to achieve our goals of restoring the republic, we must build our party from the ground up.

jdcole
09-01-2013, 03:23 PM
The best initial utilization of your plan would be to go after the low-hanging fruit first - helping where races are weak on the opposition side. Getting a bunch of liberty folks in office (no matter the party, imho) would be great "notches in the belt" that might attract voters who would otherwise be skeptic of donating to an unproven PAC.

Uriah
09-01-2013, 04:59 PM
You mentioned the national party and state parties but forgot about the county parties. There are more than a few counties that have a good showing of liberty committee persons. What we see in Iowa on the state level has been replicated in a few Iowa counties. I would get aquainted with the leaders of your local county GOP and find which way they lean. The county parties put many people on the ground and the more funds they have the better they will do.

gnuschler
09-01-2013, 05:11 PM
You mentioned the national party and state parties but forgot about the county parties.

I agree with you entirely. I do know that the Left, including the Democratic Party, the NAACP, the unions, etc. are organized and financed all the way down to the precinct, and we must challenge them all the way down to the precinct.

fr33
09-01-2013, 05:44 PM
A lot of people here won't agree with you. I actually do.

But they are going to point out our successes in taking over at local GOP conventions and our ability to get Amash, Massie, and Paul elected. And that's a fair argument to make for using the GOP.

It still remains to be seen if we can stop any laws using these few elected officials or get anything passed that actually protects our rights.