PDA

View Full Version : Obama to seek authorization from congress for strike on Syria

jct74
08-31-2013, 12:09 PM
Obama Says U.S. Should Take Action In Syria, Will Seek Congress' Authorization For Use Of Force

The Huffington Post | Posted: 08/31/2013 2:00 pm EDT

President Barack Obama addressed the crisis in Syria on Saturday, saying he has decided the United States should take military action against regime targets, but that he will seek authorization from Congress before taking action.

"I will seek authorization for the use of force from the American people's representatives in Congress," Obama said during a press conference in the White House Rose Garden.

Obama said any action would "be designed to be limited in duration and scope."

Obama referenced an Aug. 21 attack at the start of his remarks, saying "this menace must be confronted."

"The world watched in horror as men, women and children were massacred in Syria in the worst chemical attack of the 21st century," Obama said.

"This attack is an assault on human dignity," Obama said, saying it "risks making a mockery" of the use of chemical weapons.

"Make no mistake -- this has implications beyond chemical warfare," Obama said.

According to Reuters, House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) said the House will consider a measure on Syrian military action the week of Sept. 9, when lawmakers return from recess.

This story is developing... Check back for more...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/31/obama-syria-announcement_n_3849108.html

Warlord
08-31-2013, 12:16 PM
I can't see the House voting for it especially when the phones start melting

belian78
08-31-2013, 12:17 PM
It's all just peaches and cream now, ain't it? :mad:

kcchiefs6465
I can't see the House voting for it
What would Obama do if the Senate approves it and the House doesn't?

He has stated clearly that he feels he still has the authority to unilaterally authorize an attack.

trey4sports

I hope you're right but part of me thinks he wouldn't consult us peasants if he didn't already have the votes.

LibertyEagle
**** *** Obama!!

08-31-2013, 12:18 PM
What would Obama do if the Senate approves it and the House doesn't?

He has stated clearly that he feels he still has the authority to unilaterally authorize an attack.

Get impeached hopefully.

Warlord
08-31-2013, 12:19 PM
I hope you're right but part of me thinks he wouldn't consult us peasants if he didn't already have the votes.

Cameron thought he had the votes too but didn't.

Uriel999
08-31-2013, 12:21 PM
**** *** Obama!!

Considering you normally refrain from such statements I find your statement quite more potent than if other forum members said the same. I agree wholeheartedly.

BuddyRey
08-31-2013, 12:21 PM
Wow, the President's actually going to ask Congress first?

This would be the first time since...when? 1941?

Warlord
08-31-2013, 12:22 PM
Wow, the President's actually going to ask Congress first?

This would be the first time since...when? 1941?

2002/03 when Bush sought 'authorization' for Iraq

kcchiefs6465
08-31-2013, 12:23 PM
Get impeached hopefully.
Is it not the Senate who enforces the Impeachment, or who removes him from office?

We need a majority of the House Judiciary Committee to Draft the Articles of Impeachment, 2/3 of the House, and then for him to be removed from office, 2/3 of the Senate as well, correct?

ETA: This is addressed to anyone. I am not exactly sure of every aspect of the process. +rep if someone can shed some light on whether I am right or wrong.

If I am right, and the Senate approves to the AUMF against Syria, then surely they would not remove Obama from office for ignoring the House.

And likewise, to even get the ball rolling, who could we count on in the House Judiciary Committee?

cajuncocoa
They don't listen to us. When the military contractors threaten to withhold financing for their campaigns, they'll cave.

tsai3904
Will Rand filibuster and force the Senate to get 60 votes or will that be seen as preventing a full debate?

TNforPaul45
08-31-2013, 12:24 PM
While I am all for Congressional Approval for war, this is a smart calculated move by Obama. He knows the Congress will vote "No" (we hope so!) on this. And then he will go ahead and act anyway. That way, they use that as a club in the Mid-Terms next year and blame the republicans for trying to stop the U.S. from coming to the aid of the Syrian people. "The republicans voted to keep Assad in power" they will say next year. They will bash Rand with this too, as you KNOW he will make a speech about this in the Sentate.

Obama will act anyway, and use Republican resistance to the action to bash us in the midterms. Take it to the bank. (I say "us" only in that our liberty-members of congress are running as repubs, and they will get lumped in).

Warlord
08-31-2013, 12:25 PM
They don't listen to us. When the military contractors threaten to withhold financing for their campaigns, they'll cave.

We'll see.

Warlord
08-31-2013, 12:27 PM
Will Rand filibuster and force the Senate to get 60 votes or will that be seen as preventing a full debate?

Doesn't matter. Senate will overwhelmingly approve of a military action since they suck so much. The House is where this will be lost. What he does then who knows.

AngryCanadian
08-31-2013, 12:27 PM
Sounds like an Exit strategy after he got spanked by Putin and Where is the proof?

08-31-2013, 12:29 PM
While I am all for Congressional Approval for war, this is a smart calculated move by Obama. He knows the Congress will vote "No" (we hope so!) on this. And then he will go ahead and act anyway. That way, they use that as a club in the Mid-Terms next year and blame the republicans for trying to stop the U.S. from coming to the aid of the Syrian people. "The republicans voted to keep Assad in power" they will say next year. They will bash Rand with this too, as you KNOW he will make a speech about this in the Sentate.

Obama will act anyway, and use Republican resistance to the action to bash us in the midterms. Take it to the bank. (I say "us" only in that our liberty-members of congress are running as repubs, and they will get lumped in).

Nope, if he goes to war without authorization it is a big time political loser. If it gets messy and becomes a regional war, americans will blame Obama. It's too big a risk for a smart political D team player like Obama.

He saw how Cameron got off the hook and is taking the same approach.

tsai3904
08-31-2013, 12:29 PM
Boehner says House won't come back early and will consider authorization week of September 9.

Kords21
08-31-2013, 12:31 PM
I suspect that all of this has already been decided behind closed doors. Obama doesn't strike me as a gambler who will leave this up to a vote. Palms have already been greased or are being greased to pass this. Politics is theater for ugly people and it wouldn't surprise me if the so called leaders in both the house/senate have already lined up the votes they need one way or another. It's not the voice of the people they care about, it's the money from the MIC that makes them jump when they're told to.

kcchiefs6465
08-31-2013, 12:33 PM
Amash, Massie and Paul should also demand a formal Declaration of War.

Warlord
08-31-2013, 12:34 PM
I suspect that all of this has already been decided behind closed doors. Obama doesn't strike me as a gambler who will leave this up to a vote. Palms have already been greased or are being greased to pass this. Politics is theater for ugly people and it wouldn't surprise me if the so called leaders in both the house/senate have already lined up the votes they need one way or another. It's not the voice of the people they care about, it's the money from the MIC that makes them jump when they're told to.

Cameron thought he had the votes too but was humiliated.

TNforPaul45
08-31-2013, 12:37 PM
Nope, if he goes to war without authorization it is a big time political loser. If it gets messy and becomes a regional war, americans will blame Obama. It's too big a risk for a smart political D team player like Obama.

He saw how Cameron got off the hook and is taking the same approach.

Ah yes, you are correct if you think about the situation logically and with reason. But democrats do not use reason (and neither do most republicans). They use EMOTION to guide their value-judgements. Obama stands up to the republican resistance and saves the children of Syria with airstrikes. Imagine how good that will make Obama supporters FEEL. "Obama stood up to the obstructionary congress and did the 'right thing'" is how the headlines will go. Hell the New York Times the other day published an editorial that said "Bomb Syria, even if it is illegal!" The democrats are not going to frown upon Obama for doing something that makes them feel good about themselves!

08-31-2013, 12:40 PM
Cameron thought he had the votes too but was humiliated.

He actually looked relieved if you watch the video of it.

RP Supporter
08-31-2013, 12:43 PM
I'm actually somewhat glad to hear this. Of course I oppose any force in Syria and suspect some way or another we'll eventually do something there, but it's nice that Obama feels the need to ask for congress's approval. That right there speaks to the success of our movement. We've become too big to entirely ignore.

EBounding
08-31-2013, 12:48 PM
Obama isn't asking for a declaration of war, he's asking Congress to delegate that power over to him (authorization of the use of force). Of course, he doesn't even think this is even necessary and already has all the authority he needs as President-King.

tangent4ronpaul
08-31-2013, 12:57 PM
Is it not the Senate who enforces the Impeachment, or who removes him from office?

We need a majority of the House Judiciary Committee to Draft the Articles of Impeachment, 2/3 of the House, and then for him to be removed from office, 2/3 of the Senate as well, correct?

ETA: This is addressed to anyone. I am not exactly sure of every aspect of the process. +rep if someone can shed some light on whether I am right or wrong.

If I am right, and the Senate approves to the AUMF against Syria, then surely they would not remove Obama from office for ignoring the House.

And likewise, to even get the ball rolling, who could we count on in the House Judiciary Committee?

Maybe Issa and Chaffetz?

There are some real scumbags on that committee: Conyers is ranking member. Jackson Lee, Gohmert, Poe...

http://judiciary.house.gov/about/members.html

-t

Zippyjuan
08-31-2013, 12:58 PM
At the very least, it delays any potential action and allows for more debate on the issue. It also lets him wait until the UN reports their findings. Obama is sending mixed signals (as usual). He doesn't want to do anything which may impact the outcome of the civil war in Syria. He said he is not in favor of "regime change" or getting involved in any war there. But he still wants to "send a message". Looking for a way out?

Interesting side note- Obama's speach was carried live (with translations) in Syria.

Suzu
08-31-2013, 01:10 PM
He doesn't care if he takes the blame. He's leaving office (after he finishes destroying the USA).

Carlybee
08-31-2013, 01:25 PM
Get impeached hopefully.

I don't think anyone will ever move to impeach him because it would mean opening the Bush/Cheney can of worms. Bush/Cheney set a lot of precedents..bad ones. They never turn on their own.

jkob
08-31-2013, 01:30 PM
I'm afraid it will pass but at least this way we'll know who we can trust and not

08-31-2013, 01:31 PM
He doesn't care if he takes the blame. He's leaving office (after he finishes destroying the USA).

But Obama is a huge partisan hack, he won't let his team lose next time.

I don't think anyone will ever move to impeach him because it would mean opening the Bush/Cheney can of worms. Bush/Cheney set a lot of precedents..bad ones. They never turn on their own.

Bush at least got congressional authorization for his wars, the Republicans are on solid ground.

Carlybee
08-31-2013, 01:35 PM
But Obama is a huge partisan hack, he won't let his team lose next time.

Bush at least got congressional authorization for his wars, the Republicans are on solid ground.

Yes but a lot of people think they lied about the intelligence on Iraq and committed war crimes not to mention the Patriot Act was implemented on his watch. Any move against Obama and that will be brought up as a precedent.

jkob
08-31-2013, 01:40 PM
I don't believe Obama would have the vote if he thought he'd lose it and if he does I don't think he would act against congress. The political fallout from going to war when it was voted down would be too great.

liveandletlive
08-31-2013, 02:51 PM
how can we go to war if we dont have the money, this is ridiculous!!!

twomp
08-31-2013, 03:07 PM
I'm totally confused but glad by this. Any delay is good although, Obama has to know, he will lose the vote.

RonPaulMall
08-31-2013, 03:11 PM
I don't believe Obama would have the vote if he thought he'd lose it and if he does I don't think he would act against congress. The political fallout from going to war when it was voted down would be too great.

I think you are wrong. This is Obama's way of saving face. He can say he kept his word about the "red line" but was thwarted by the evil Congress. The neocons are patient and devious. Remember, this is all about manufacturing a war against Iran. Syria is merely a means it is only one means of many they have at their disposal. They will try this tack again at a latter date, with an even more outrageous false flag incident to back it up and they'll continue their machinations in Lebanon and keep cruising their warships back and forth in front of the Iranian coast trying to provoke a direct incident with Iran as well. Eventually they will get their war. But today we won. A double victory in fact, since not only will this be voted down, but it will also put necon scum like Lindsay Graham on record in a way that can be used against them in the upcoming primary.

SilentBull
08-31-2013, 03:13 PM
The guy acted like we should be thanking him for deciding to consult our representatives.

Carlybee
08-31-2013, 03:14 PM
The guy acted like we should be thanking him for deciding to consult our representatives.

It will be interesting to see where Congress goes with this and will make it easier to compile the friend/enemy list.

twomp
08-31-2013, 03:16 PM
Congress needs to get the fk back to work and FIX this shit now! They get paid a lot of money, it's time they earned it.

08-31-2013, 03:32 PM
Congress needs to get the fk back to work and FIX this shit now! They get paid a lot of money, it's time they earned it.

Why now? They come back on the 9th, that seems fine. Delaying it is good, nobody knows who actually used the chemical weapons yet, gives the truth time to come out.

twomp
08-31-2013, 04:20 PM
Why now? They come back on the 9th, that seems fine. Delaying it is good, nobody knows who actually used the chemical weapons yet, gives the truth time to come out.

Good point. I'm just worried something will happen between now and then that will give Obama "no other choice" but to let the missiles fly.