PDA

View Full Version : Putin marching Obama around the school yard by his ear

tod evans
08-31-2013, 10:05 AM
Front-n-center on Drudge right now...

Russia sharply steps up criticism of U.S. over Syria

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/russia-sharply-steps-up-criticism-of-us-over-syria/2013/08/31/532c48ea-1238-11e3-a2b3-5e107edf9897_print.html

MOSCOW – Russia dramatically escalated its denunciations of American threats to attack Syrian military targets on Saturday, as President Vladimir Putin called the arguments about chemical weapons that underlie the U.S. case “utter nonsense.”

The Foreign Ministry said a U.S. attack would be a “gross violation” of international law.

Speaking out for the first time since an alleged chemical weapons attack near Damascus on Aug. 21, Putin called on President Obama to find a nonviolent way out of the crisis.

“I would like to address Obama as a Nobel Peace Prize laureate: Before using force in Syria, it would be good to think about future casualties,” Putin told Russian news agencies in Vladivostok during a tour of the country’s flood-stricken Far East.

“Russia is urging you to think twice before making a decision on an operation in Syria,” he said.

Next week’s Group of 20 economic summit in St. Petersburg would be a good forum for discussing the Syrian issue, he said, “so why not take advantage of it?”

The White House argued Friday that intelligence shows more than 1,400 people died from exposure to chemical weapons in an attack carried out by the Syrian military.

Putin said he was sure the attack was the work of rebels trying to provoke international — and especially American — involvement in the Syrian conflict. The regime of Bashar al-Assad, he said, would have had no reason to use chemical weapons at a time when it had gained the upper hand in the fighting.

“While the Syrian army is on the offensive, saying that it is the Syrian government that used chemical weapons is utter nonsense,” Putin said.

On top of that, he said, the Obama administration’s “claims that proof exists, but is classified and cannot be presented to anybody, are below criticism. This is plain disrespect for their partners.”

Putin’s comments were soon underlined by a stern statement from the Foreign Ministry. After U.S. Ambassador Michael McFaul had finished a meeting with Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov on Saturday, the ministry declared, “Russia has expressed its conviction that any forceful action against Syria that the U.S. could carry out in circumvention of the U.N. Security Council would be an act of aggression and a gross violation of international law.”

Putin said he and Obama have not discussed Syria since the incident occurred.

“The U.S. president and I certainly discussed this problem at the G8” summit in June in Northern Ireland, he said. “And, by the way, we agreed then that we would jointly facilitate peace negotiations in Geneva, and the Americans committed themselves to bringing the armed opposition to these negotiations. I understand this is a difficult process, and it looks like they haven't succeeded in this.”

Putin said he was surprised by the vote in Britain’s Parliament on Thursday not to join a U.S. attack on Syrian military targets. “It shows that there are people guided by common sense there,” he said.

The Russian president is fond of needling his opponents, often adopting a tone of apparent reasonableness tinged with a considerable amount of condescension. A U.S. assault on Assad’s regime would do nothing to hurt his standing, at home or in many countries abroad, where his contempt for Washington tends to play very well.

Obama arrives in St. Petersburg for the G20 meeting on Thursday and leaves on Friday. The purpose of the gathering is to discuss economic growth, but the White House acknowledges there will be plenty of conversation about Syria on the side. There are currently no plans for a one-on-one meeting between Putin and Obama, who earlier this month decided not to attend a Moscow summit with the Russian president.

On Friday, the head of the foreign affairs committee of the lower house of parliament, Alexei Pushkov, said the Nobel committee should strip Obama of his 2009 Peace Prize if he launches an attack on Syria.

Carlybee
08-31-2013, 10:15 AM
Pretty bad when Russia has to lecture the US about peaceful solutions.

tod evans
08-31-2013, 10:17 AM
Pretty bad when Russia has to lecture the US about peaceful solutions.

I'm glad to see it!

They're not listening to me:o

tod evans
09-06-2013, 08:45 AM
Now Britain's getting drug through the mud..

Russia mocks Britain, the little island

Russia mocked Britain today as “a small island no one listens to”, sparking a diplomatic spat with David Cameron.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/10290243/Russia-mocks-Britain-the-little-island.html

The Prime Minister insisted that Britain remained a major world power.
Tensions surrounding the Syrian crisis boiled over at a G20 summit in St Petersburg. Mr Cameron has backed calls for military intervention in Syria after the Assad regime allegedly used chemical weapons.
Mr Putin has opposed intervention and questioned Western claims about the attack. Britain has faced questions about its role and influence in the world since Mr Cameron was embarrassed by last week’s Commons vote to rule out a military strike against Syria.
Dmitry Peskov, Mr Putin’s official spokesman, is said to have highlighted that embarrassment, telling Russian journalists that Britain was now diplomatically irrelevant.
Britain is “just a small island … no one pays any attention to them”, Mr Peskov is reported to have said. The blunt remarks appeared to realise British fears that the Russians would use the St Petersburg summit to upstage Mr Cameron over his criticism of Syria, Russia’s closest Middle Eastern ally.

The Russian official is also said to have joked about Russian “oligarchs” buying up large parts of Chelsea and other upmarket London districts.
The remarks, which were reported by the BBC, could not be verified, but were apparently accepted as genuine by the Prime Minister in a BBC interview.
In the interview, Mr Cameron angrily rejected the Russian dismissal of British influence. “I don’t accept that for a moment,” he said, insisting that Britain remained a power in world affairs.
“Britain will be one of the leaders in bringing forward plans for a peace process for Syria,” he said. “Britain will be leading the argument across the globe for continuing to respond strongly on chemical weapons.”

A No 10 source expressed irritation at the Russian comments.
“As host of guests from the world’s leading countries, I’m sure the Russians will want to clarify these reported remarks, particularly at a G20 where it’s a very British agenda on trade and tax.”
George Osborne said Britain was "setting the agenda" on for Syria.
"They have denied using that language, but I'll make a broader point which is on many of the issues here, for example the humanitarian response to what's happening in Syria, the economic agenda, the tax agenda, I would say Britain, albeit only one of 20 nations attending, is setting the agenda," he told the BBC this morning.
"Britain is today leading efforts to step up then humanitarian situation in Syria, and the tragedy of two million people leaving that country, fleeing for their lives," he added.
Mr Osborne added those MPs who voted against military action in Syria "have to account for that".
Despite Mr Cameron’s defence of Britain, the Russian jibe follows concerns among Tory MPs that the failure to follow through on promises of action in Syria has left the country diminished.
The Prime Minister had helped push Barack Obama towards US intervention in Syria. The US president and Mr Cameron are not holding formal meetings in St Petersburg, leading to speculation that their relationship is strained.

specsaregood
09-06-2013, 09:34 AM
I keep getting this feeling that Putin and his gang are trolling the Obama admin, hoping to provoke some type of response they can take advantage of. I'm not sure what that is; but I get an uneasy feeling about it.

FSP-Rebel
09-06-2013, 10:26 AM
Dude, Putin is stone cold and Obama is probably even uneasy around the guy despite having his own security detail in the back ground. A pussy can act tough when they have a big and powerful gang behind them but it's tougher when you gotta go toe-toe with and eye-up against an alpha.

tod evans
09-06-2013, 10:28 AM
Dude, Putin is stone cold and Obama is probably even uneasy around the guy despite having his own security detail in the back ground. A pussy can act tough when they have a big and powerful gang behind them but it's tougher when you gotta go toe-toe with and eye-up against an alpha.

Ya' know I've got a feeling that ol' Vlad would defer to Ron Paul out of respect where he just wants to slap the golfer....

limequat
09-06-2013, 12:26 PM
I keep getting this feeling that Putin and his gang are trolling the Obama admin, hoping to provoke some type of response they can take advantage of. I'm not sure what that is; but I get an uneasy feeling about it.

Yeah definitely. If he takes Putin's advice and back down, he looks submissive to Putin. He goes forward with the attack, he's the bully who won't listen to common sense - and Putin is the level-headed leader urging caution.
Obama's gonna come out looking like a clown no matter what he does. Which is fine. Because he's a clown.

tod evans
09-12-2013, 02:54 AM
Front page of Drudge early this morning..

A Plea for Caution From Russia

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/12/opinion/putin-plea-for-caution-from-russia-on-syria.html?_r=0

MOSCOW — RECENT events surrounding Syria have prompted me to speak directly to the American people and their political leaders. It is important to do so at a time of insufficient communication between our societies.

[snip]

If we can avoid force against Syria, this will improve the atmosphere in international affairs and strengthen mutual trust. It will be our shared success and open the door to cooperation on other critical issues.

My working and personal relationship with President Obama is marked by growing trust. I appreciate this. I carefully studied his address to the nation on Tuesday. And I would rather disagree with a case he made on American exceptionalism, stating that the United States’ policy is “what makes America different. It’s what makes us exceptional.” It is extremely dangerous to encourage people to see themselves as exceptional, whatever the motivation. There are big countries and small countries, rich and poor, those with long democratic traditions and those still finding their way to democracy. Their policies differ, too. We are all different, but when we ask for the Lord’s blessings, we must not forget that God created us equal.